[MyAppleMenu] Jun 19, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 19 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2.1 Released ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13077?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> Apple has, with no change in the release notes or acknowledgement of the problems caused by version 1.2, released Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2.1 to add support for the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

If your computer is working properly for now, you might want to wait a while before installing this.

**** New Bento 4 For iPad Boasts Creation Tools ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167307/new_bento_4_for_ipad_boasts_creation_tools.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

**** The Case Of The Screen’s Green Blob ****
<http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/the-case-of-the-screens-green-blob/>
David Pogue, New York Times

> Suddenly, he noticed a greenish splotch in the middle of the screen. You couldn’t miss it: almost dead center, as though an irregular puddle of a light green tint had been poured onto the graphics of his game.

> Alarmed, he restarted the computer. When it came to, the creepy misshapen area was still there. No doubt about it: The problem had nothing to do with software. It was a hardware problem, and it seemed he’d need a date with the local Apple store.

So far, I can't reproduce this problem on my MacBook Air. Can you?

**** Apple's Cunning Plan To Put Pressure On Microsoft And Windows 8 ****
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/06/18/apples-cunning-plan-to-put-pressure-on-microsoft-and-windows-8/>
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, Forbes

> Another side-effect of what Apple is doing here is that it is devaluing the operating system in preference to looking at the hardware and the operating system that make up a computer as a single product.

And that's one big reason why Microsoft need to start making its own hardware.

**** “Do It All” Highlights The New iPad’s Features In A New June Advertisement ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/do-it-all-highlights-the-new-ipads-features-in-a-new-june-advertisement/>
MacStories

**** App Developers Who Are Too Young To Drive ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052702303410404577468670147772802-lMyQjAxMTAyMDEwODExNDgyWj.html>
Jessica E. Vascellaro, Wall Street Journal

> Paul Dunahoo went on a business trip to San Francisco last week, where he attended technical sessions at Apple Inc.'s developer conference, networked with other programmers and received feedback from Apple engineers on his six productivity apps.

> Then, Mr. Dunahoo, chief executive of Bread and Butter Software LLC, returned to Connecticut to get ready for the eighth grade.

**** Apple And Lights ****
<http://brooksreview.net/2012/06/apple-lights/>
Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review

> To me the fact Apple has ditched these indicator lights says one thing: whether your Mac is charged, asleep, or awake, none of it matters anymore — now it’s just: lid open, or lid closed?

It also showed Apple's confidence that when the lid is closed, the computer is <i>really</i> asleep.

**** Full-screen Applications And Multiple Monitors ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167316/full_screen_applications_and_multiple_monitors.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christpher Breen, Macworld

> No. You can’t.

You can't see more than one application together in full-screen mode.

**** Microsoft Introduces A Challenger To The iPad ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/technology/microsoft-unveils-a-tablet-to-challenge-the-ipad.html?gwh=94E54A269DEA6B716E6466BC01C7A285>
Nick Wingfield, New York Times

> In its most strategically significant push yet into the hardware business, Microsoft on Monday unveiled a tablet computer called Surface that is intended to challenge Apple’s iPad.

**** Time For A Typewriter Renaissance? ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/06/19/a_typewriter_renaissance/>
Jessie Schiewe, Salon

> In the last few years, both typewriter sales and repairs have increased at the store. Berkeley Typewriter experienced an increase in overall sales in 2011, moving about two or three a week. It’s not like the olden days, Banuelos said, but it’s enough.

**** Can The Guardian Survive? ****
<http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/ideas/tim-de-lisle/can-guardian-survive>
Tim de Lisle, Intelligent Life

> In terms of reach and impact, the <i>Guardian</i> is doing better than ever before. But its success may contain the seeds of its demise.

**** On Fear ****
<http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/article/244158>
Mary Ruefle, Poetry Foundation

**** How The System Failed This Worker ****
<http://publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/644-how-the-system-failed-this-worker>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

**** Singapore’s Free-to-air TV Channels To Go Fully Digital By 2013 ****
<http://www.news.gov.sg/public/sgpc/en/media_releases/agencies/mda/press_release/P-20120619-1/AttachmentPar/0/file/Singapore%27s%20free-to-air%20TV%20channels%20to%20go%20fully%20digital%20by%202013.pdf>
Media Development Authority, Singapore Government

> With Singapore’s migration to digital TV, free-to-air broadcaster MediaCorp will transmit all its seven free-to-air channels digitally by end 2013. Channels 5, 8, Suria and Vasantham will be available in High Definition by end 2013. The remaining three channels - okto, Channel U and Channel NewsAsia will first be broadcast in Standard Definition from end 2013, before being broadcast in High Definition in 2016.

You will need to buy a converter if your television is not connected to StarHub or SingTel services. Or switch to watching Malaysian channels.
(And Johor residents will also need to buy the converters to continue watching Singapore channels.)

**** Singapore's 'Supertrees' Spark Green Thoughts ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18015741>
Saira Syed, BBC

> The desire to raise awareness of the environment comes at a time when Singapore's green credentials are very much up for debate.

**** Woffles Wu Case Puts To The Test "All Equal In The Eyes Of The Law"... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/06/woffles-wu-case-all-equal-in-eyes-of.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> Our large income gap means that the poor are stepping into court very disadvantaged because they cannot afford good lawyers. This is one of the effects of the income gap we have to monitor closely. The income inequality has affected the justice system and there is no comprehensive system in place to provide legal to ensure there is equal access to legal services for all.

Also:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/06/bertha-henson-the-price-of-justice/">The Price Of Justice</a> (Bertha Henson, The Online Citizen)</li>
</ul>

**** Left Hand Give You, Right Hand Take Back ****
<http://fivestarsandamoon.blogspot.sg/2012/06/left-hand-give-you-right-hand-take-back.html>
Benjamin Chiang, Five Stars And A Moon

> Actually, the cash handouts are supposed to <i>neutralize</i> the rising cost of living... it is up to the individual to manage his/her spending responsibly, but how many of us actually went out and spent it all in one evening instead?

I wish the government will also <i>not</i> micro-manage CPF savings.

**** Size May Be Same But Less Liveable Space In New Flats ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_812442.html>
Daniel Chia, Straits Times

> The culprits of the space crunch within a new flat are two huge bathrooms and the bomb shelter. Both need not be so large.

The bomb shelters have never been tested in real life. (Hopefully, never will.)

**** Whipping A Dead Horse ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/06/whipping-dead-horse.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Transparency Can Help To Uphold Public Trust ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120619-0000027/Transparency-can-help-to-uphold-public-trust>
Phillip Kilpatrick, Today

**** Is NIMBY Flak An Excuse Not To Engage? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120619-0000009/Is-NIMBY-flak-an-excuse-not-to-engage?>
Eugene K B Tan and Patrick H M Loh, Today

> As it stands, some local groups feel that they are being made to bear an unequal burden in these national initiatives. It is worth probing into and appreciating the source of their opposition.

> We should not be surprised if some of this opposition stems from the feeling that there was a lack of genuine consultation and that their concerns were not addressed.

The government will be making a huge mistake if it treats all oppositions as Not-in-my-Backyard excuses.
Especially since we see the government reserving lands around MRT stations (such as Bishan and Woodlands) for big-buck development.