[MyAppleMenu] Jun 12, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 12 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Amazon’s Markup Of Digital Delivery To Indie Authors Is ~129,000% ****
<http://andrewhy.de/amazons-markup-of-digital-delivery-to-indie-authors-is-129000/>
Andrew Hyde

> Apple is actually quite good at a flat looking $7 per $9.99 purchase. They host the file and their iBooks Author is fantastic for book creation. Their app store customer service is about as bad as I can immagine (no phone, email or ticket support). You have to play by their rules and their rules happen to include error messages that block your book from being published with the descriptive “Unknown Error.” As a testament to their not giving single fuck, their “Contact Us” is a FAQ with no way to send a message. The book looks amazing on iPads through iBooks though!

No "hidden" fees to sell through Apple.

**** Ports Matter ****
<http://ihnatko.com/2012/06/12/ports-matter/>
Andy Ihnatko

> PC makers are following the lead of consumers — not Apple — by making thinner notebooks. It’s actually not that easy to find a popular Windows notebook with onboard VGA. But for those customers who like that, the hardware is out there. They can get the laptop they want, not the laptop that they have to settle for.

> That’s a good thing. I don’t think I’d take that as a sign that any Windows manufacturer is stubbornly holding on to the past.

**** Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2 Causes Boot Failures ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13061>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> Although it’s unclear if all Thunderbolt-equipped Macs are affected, a number of people have reported that installing the update causes a variety of strange boot-related problems (kernel panics, getting stuck at the gray boot screen, “Unexpected error” messages, and more). Regardless of the details, in each case, it seems that the Mac is rendered unusable.

**** Apple Pulls Messages For Mac Beta Ahead Of Mountain Lion Launch Next Month ****
<http://www.cultofmac.com/173094/apple-pulls-messages-for-mac-beta-ahead-of-mountain-lion-launch-next-month/>
Killian Bell, Cult Of Mac

**** Make Mail Dock Badge Show Important Messages Only ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167231/make_mail_dock_badge_show_important_messages_only.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** Hands On With The Retina MacBook Pro ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167229/hands_on_with_the_retina_macbook_pro.html#lsrc.twt_jsnell>
Jason Snell, Macworld

> If it weren't for the Retina display, this MacBook Pro would seem to be just about what I expected from the infusion of some MacBook Air sensibility into the MacBook Pro line. It seems like there will be a day, in the not too distant future, when there's just a single line of MacBooks from a tiny 11-incher to this larger 15-incher. That day's not here yet—this model is too expensive right now to wipe out the lower-cost MacBook Pro models—but it's coming.

**** How Facebook Integration With iOS/OS X Works ****
<http://gigaom.com/apple/how-facebook-integration-with-iosos-x-works/>
Om Malik, GigaOM

> Here is what I understand about how it works – when using the system-level single sign-on, when you want to share something via Facebook, the system logs you into Facebook, shares whatever you want to share — a link, a video, a photo or whatever — and then logs you out.

**** Apple Restores IPv6 Support In Base Stations ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13059?rss>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

**** Apple's WWDC Keynote Was All About China ****
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/06/apples-wwdc-keynote-was-all-about-china/258364/>
Brian Fung, The Atlantic

**** AirPort Express Turned Into Simultaneous Dual-Band Hockey Puck ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13058?rss>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

**** Apple’s Stash Of Credit Card Numbers Is Its Secret Weapon ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/apples-stash-of-credit-card-numbers-is-its-secret-weapon/>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

> Passbook doesn’t actually handle credit card transactions, yet, but if Apple ever decides to link it to customers’ iTunes accounts, it could easily replace the credit cards in your wallet or purse.

Also:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://scripting.com/stories/2012/06/11/vectorSports.html">Vector Sports</a> (Dave Winer, Scripting News)</li>
</ul>

**** Apple Selects TomTom As Primary iOS 6 Maps Provider ****
<http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-tomtom-ios-6-maps/>
Brad Molen, Engadget

> TomTom has independently confirmed to us that it indeed "has signed a global agreement with Apple for maps and related information."

**** iOS 6 Developer Beta Previewed In Leaked Photos, Video ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078172/ios-6-developer-beta-previewed>
Chris Ziegler, The Verge

**** Is Ford Facing Off Against Apple Over The Connected Car? ****
<http://gigaom.com/apple/ford-versus-apple-siri-versus-sync-over-connected-car/>
Kevin Fitchard, GigaOM

> The problem is Apple may have just laid claim to a huge chunk of turf that some automakers view as rightfully theirs. And since Ford has been among the most aggressive in pushing the boundaries of connected car services, it may very well feel Apple is asking it to give up too much territory.

Someone should track the big tech companies' race in building enemies.

**** First Look: Retina Display MacBook Pro ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/06/11/first-look-retina-display-macbook-pro/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> Although the resolution changes, it never shows you what resolution the computer is running in. Like most of Apple’s software and hardware, this way of choosing a resolution will probably appeal to a lot more people because it’s not just numbers, but a visual choice.

Apple is still trying hard to get numbers off spec sheets.

**** Apple Next-generation MacBook Pro (With Retina Display) Hands-on At WWDC 2012 ****
<http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-next-generation-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-hands-on/>
Tim Stevens, Engadget

> Where the Air is tapered, this has a constant thickness throughout. So, again, it doesn't feel like an Air, but it's a big improvement over the Pro.

It's Air-like Pro.

**** FaceTime Via Cellular: Will It Work, And Can You Afford It? ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9227964/FaceTime_via_cellular_Will_it_work_and_can_you_afford_it_>
Matt Hamblen, Computerworld

**** Worms 2 Armageddon Gets Asychronous Play ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/06/11/worms-2-armageddon-gets-asychronous-play/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

**** The New Retina Display MacBook Pro: A Downgrade From My Current MacBook Pro ****
<http://alexobenauer.com/blog/2012/06/11/the-new-retina-display-macbook-pro-a-downgrade-from-my-current-macbook-pro/>
Alex Obenauer

> Here’s the catch: that’s <i>less</i> screen real estate. It’ll be crisper, but you can fit less on your screen. Since the OS and apps will be in HiDPI mode, you’re seeing an equivalent 1440 by 900 resolution display, with 4x the “crispness.” That’s a downgrade in screen real estate, even if it is an upgrade in screen resolution.

**** Three Takeaways From Today’s WWDC Keynote ****
<http://daringfireball.net/2012/06/three_takeaways_wwdc>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> The first Air was expensive and not for everyone, but it showed the future of Apple’s (and, really, the industry’s) portables. That’s what the new 15-inch MacBook Pro is: the future of portable Macs.

**** Apple Puts Your Wallet In The iPhone ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/apple-empties-your-wallet-and-puts-it-in-the-iphone/>
Somini Sengupta, New York Times

> The Passbook that Apple announced on Monday is not quite a wallet, but it nudges us one step closer to turning our phones into pocketbooks.

**** The 2012 Apple Design Award Winners ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/the-2012-apple-design-award-winners/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

**** Two New Thunderbolt Cables Join Parade Of Apple Releases ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167227/two_new_thunderbolt_cables_join_parade_of_apple_releases.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

> The $29 Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter was already available in Apple’s online store early Monday evening.

> The second cable, a Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter, was still awaiting its debut in Apple’s online store as this story was published Monday.

**** Apple Releases Updates For iPhoto And Aperture, Unifies Libraries ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/06/11/apple-releases-updates-for-iphoto-and-aperture-unifies-librarie/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> This will be a welcome change to photographers who used both Apple's pro and consumer-level photography apps. Previously, Aperture and iPhoto used different libraries, which meant that users had to import and export photos from one library into the other. Now, after a single import from the camera, all photos are available to both apps.

**** Apple Releases New Smart Case For iPad ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167189/apple_releases_new_smart_case_for_ipad.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> It protects the back of your iPad, not just the front.

**** Mac Pro Quietly Gets First Update Since 2010 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167178/mac_pro_quietly_gets_first_update_since_2010.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> Overall, the update to the Mac Pro is a relatively minor one—a speed bump and increases in RAM. Not only did the storage and video remain the same as in the previous models released in July 2010, but Apple didn’t see the Mac Pro fit for Thunderbolt, which is on every other Mac.

Also:
<ul>
</ul>

**** Apple Quietly Updates AirPort Express ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167186/apple_quietly_updates_airport_express.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

**** Mountain Lion To Ship In July For $20 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167181/mountain_lion_to_ship_in_july_for_20.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> Apple’s vice president of software engineering, Craig Federighi, took the stage to announce that Apple’s newest OS X release will be ready for consumers to download in July. He also chose eight new features to highlight during the keynote, including some—such as Dictation on the Mac and Power Nap—that weren't included in the Mountain Lion preview we saw in February.

Dictation, iCloud tabs in Safari, and Power Nap to sync data while computer is asleep.

**** Apple Unveils iOS 6 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167176/apple_unveils_ios_6.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> Apple on Monday took the wraps off iOS 6, the next version of the operating system that powers the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Senior vice president for iOS software Scott Forstall told the developers and press in attendance that iOS 6 includes 200 new features, including Siri enhancements and Facebook updates.

> The updated mobile operating system is slated to arrive this fall.

New Maps, Facebook integration, FaceTime over cellular, share photos from Photo Streams, and lost mode for Find My iPhone.

**** Apple Unveils Next Generation MacBook Pro With Retina Display; Updates Other MacBook Models ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167184/apple_unveils_next_generation_macbook_pro_with_retina_display.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> The standout feature of the Retina-display model is the brand-new, high-density display. The new MacBook Pro's 15.4-inch (diagonal) screen has four times the number of pixels as the previous model at 2880 (horizontal) by 1800 (vertical), for a total of 5,184,000 pixels or 220 pixels per inch.

Also:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.tuaw.com/2012/06/11/apple-introduces-10-magsafe-2-adapter/">Apple introduces $10 MagSafe 2 adapter</a> (Erica Sadun, TUAW): Now for sale on the Apple Store, the US$10 MagSafe 2 converter allows you to use the MagSafe connector on Cinema Displays (that includes the new Thunderbolt one as well) to charge your MagSafe 2-equipped MacBook Pro.</li>
<li><a href="http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/rip-lapzilla-apple-quietly-retires-17-macbook-pro/">RIP, Lapzilla: Apple Quietly Retires 17" MacBook Pro</a> (Ars Technica)</li>
</ul>

**** Siri To Get New Features, iPad Support With iOS 6 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167185/siri_to_get_new_features_ipad_support_with_ios_6.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** MacBook Air Gets New Processors, Adds USB 3.0 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167182/macbook_air_gets_new_processors_adds_usb_3_0.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> The new Airs—which come in 11-inch and 13-inch models—run on Intel’s third-generation Core processor (Ivy Bridge) family: a Core i5 chip in the standard configurations, with a Core i7 processor available as a build-to-order option. The updated laptops ship with 4GB of memory, but you can expand that to 8GB.

USB3, MagSafe 2, and up to 512GB of storage.

**** The Antivirus Era Is Over ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428166/the-antivirus-era-is-over/>
Tom Simonite, Technology Review

> Flame is just the latest in a series of incidents that suggest that conventional antivirus software is an outmoded way of protecting computers against malware. "Flame was a failure for the antivirus industry," Mikko Hypponen, the founder and chief research officer of antivirus firm F-Secure, wrote last week. "We really should have been able to do better. But we didn't. We were out of our league, in our own game."

**** Forbidden City ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/poem/2012/06/_forbidden_city_by_gail_mazur_.html>
Gail Mazur, Slate

**** A Hasty Report From A Tearing Hurry ****
<http://www.philosophynow.org/issues/90/A_Hasty_Report_From_A_Tearing_Hurry>
Raymond Tallis, Philosophy Now

> So we should not allow objections to the reduction of time to little <i>t</i> to allow us to overlook the mysterious activity of ‘timing’, or the extraordinary truth that despite the gap between lived and measured time, measuring it has enabled us (via science and technology) to extend, protect, enrich and enhance our existence – indeed, to have the time of our lives. “Measurement began our might” as the poet William Yeats said: it extended our powers beyond anything that could be imagined by our pre-numerate ancestors.

**** Return To Sender ****
<http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/2012/05/shiva-ayyaduri-email-us-postal-service/?page=all>
Janelle Nanos, Boston Magazine

> V.A. Shiva Ayyadurai — the MIT lecturer who invented e-mail — had spent years blasting the struggling United States Postal Service for its failure to embrace the revenue potential of his creation. So when he was recruited to help save the U.S. Mail earlier this year, Ayyadurai made headlines and was suddenly a star. That’s when the trouble started.

**** Singapore leans on oil firms to stop Iran trade ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/12/singapore-iran-idUSL3E8HC4JQ20120612>
Kevin Lim and Luke Pachymuthu, Reuters

> "Singapore is putting pressure on banks and oil companies because it doesn't want to risk U.S. sanctions," a source with direct knowledge of the matter said. "The biggest fear is the impact this will have on Singapore's financial system."

> The government has historically kept intervention in oil trade to a minimum, but the sources said it has stepped in to ensure that financial institutions are not cut off from the U.S. system for processing Iran oil transactions after sanctions take effect on June 28.

**** Former CNB Chief Ng Boon Gay Charged With Corruption ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1207064/1/.html>
Alvina Soh, Channel NewsAsia

> Former Central Narcotics Bureau chief Ng Boon Gay has been charged with four counts of corruptly obtaining sexual favours from a woman, who was a sales manager of two IT vendors.

**** Local Varsities Offer NSFs Options For Early Entry: Mindef ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_809839.html>
Tan Kok Yam, Mindef, Straits Times

> Mindef grants disruptions to full-time national servicemen to allow them to commence their university studies at the same time as the NS-liable males in their local school cohort. We abide by the principle that individuals in the same local school cohort, but in different enlistment intakes, can proceed for their degree studies at the same university at the same time.

Previous:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_809443.html"> Small Gap Means Big Delay For NSFs</a> (Chee Shao Wei, Straits Times)</li>
</ul>

**** Don't Leave Low-wage Workers Behind ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_809801.html>
Darrell Lim, Straits Times

> When times are bad, they follow the advice of the government and unions to 'bite the bullet' and make sacrifices like having their salaries and bonuses cut.

> But when times are good, they are told to raise their productivity to get their pay reinstated to pre-crisis levels.

**** I Understand The Agony Of Public Transport. ****
<http://singzeon.blogspot.sg/2012/06/i-understand-agony-of-public-transport.html>
Singzeon

**** Chan Chun Sing Blossoms ****
<http://blinkymummy.blogspot.sg/2012/06/chan-chun-sing-blossoms.html>
Blinkymummy

> This man, despite his awkwardness, learns fast and is consistent in his efforts. I would say he's displayed the most intelligence and flexibility in the past 12 months. Even when compared with seasoned PAP politicians.

**** ST Reporter Expressed Disappointment With Its Editors ****
<http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/06/10/st-reporter-expressed-disappointment-with-its-editors/>
TR Emeritus

> The reporter also confirmed that most censorship is done by the editors. It was noted that she was rather discouraged with her life as a Singapore journalist and contemplated if she would stay in the profession for long.

> Indeed, given such a highly restrictive and controlled situation our mainstream media in Singapore have been in, the Internet is certainly a Godsend to Singapore.

**** Is CPF Broke? ****
<http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.sg/2012/06/is-cpf-broke.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

**** Man Made Disasters ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/06/man-made-disasters.html>
Singapore Notes

> What we suffer most is from egoists who think they alone have all the answers, and refuse to admit their duds.

**** The Functions Of Apologies In Singapore ****
<http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/the-functions-of-apologies-in-singapore/>
Molitics

> If I may be allowed to speculate based on my understanding of how things work in Singapore, I would say that committees are probably now formed in schools or in the Ministry of Education itself to look into coming up with a code of conduct for students attending the Pre-U Seminar next year. Students may be trained to frame their questions and objections in sanctioned templates. There may even be injunctions for students to not blog about it at all. “Character education” teachers and “cyber etiquette” teachers may be rubbing their hands in glee, glad to have found another example to include in their lesson plans so that Singaporean kids can grow up to become active and responsible citizens who are politically engaged but never harsh in their criticisms of the ruling elite—if they even have to criticize. These are just wild, satirical speculations, are they not? Well, one MOE spokesperson has said: “We hope to turn this into a teachable moment for both the student blogger and students in general.”

**** “We Want A Responsible Media, Reasonable Discussion” – DPM Teo ****
<http://www.visakanv.com/blog/2012/06/we-want-a-responsible-media-reasonable-discussion-dpm-teo/>
Visakan Veerasamy

> The tone of DPM Teo’s voice in addressing those students revolts me. He’s practically mocking them. I’m starting to understand where the “Fuck you, sir” came from. It’s not about what he said- it’s about how he said it.

**** HDB Won't Shrink Flats, Says Khaw Boon Wan ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_809963.html>
Jessica Cheam, Straits Times

> Speaking to The Straits Times, Mr Khaw said the government is committed 'to maintain a good quality of life', and there are no plans to shrink HDB flats. Any future change in flat sizes will depend largely on family sizes, he said.

Void deck and open spaces? No guarantees.

**** Yale, NUS Rebut Huffington Post Story ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120612-0000009/Yale,-NUS-rebut-Huffington-Post-story>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

> There is no "backroom" deal in the National University of Singapore's partnership with Yale University to set up the Yale-NUS College, and the American university is not being given special access to investment opportunities in Singapore as a quid pro quo - as suggested in a commentary by a Yale political science lecturer published on US news website The Huffington Post last week.

> Responding to TODAY's queries, both NUS and Yale yesterday denied the allegations which were attributed by Dr Jim Sleeper - who wrote the article - to an unnamed "very high official of a European university who'd been to Singapore a few times".

Previous:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-sleeper/as-yales-blunder-deepens-_b_1569495.html"> As Yale's Blunder Deepens, Singapore Bares Its Teeth</a> (Jim Sleeper, Huffington Post)</li>
</ul>