[MyAppleMenu] Jun 11, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 11 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2012/06/11/article01/>

Living in GMT+8 -land means that all of Apple's keynotes occur in the middle of the night for me.
I'm heading to bed. You guys have a good keynote.

**** Automate Tasks With Folder Actions ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167157/automate_tasks_with_folder_actions.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> With this handy feature, you can attach AppleScripts to specific folders and have these scripts run automatically whenever you add files to the folders. That means that you can automatically get an alert when files are added to a specific folder, change the Finder labels when you put them in a folder, or unzip archives. Here’s how Folder Actions work, and how you can use them to save time.

**** Edit Your Vacation Videos The Easy Way With iMovie On Your iPad ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167104/edit_your_vacation_videos_the_easy_way_with_imovie_on_your_ipad.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Heath McKnight, Macworld

**** Apple Keeps Loyalty Of Mobile App Developers ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/technology/companies/apple-keeps-loyalty-of-mobile-app-developers.html?src=twrhp>
Nick Wingfield and Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> Smartphones running Google’s Android operating system outsell iPhones more than two to one. And yet, even as Google’s system has gobbled up market share, Apple has held onto one critical advantage — the loyalty of mobile app developers.

> Many developers have continued to make applications first, and sometimes only, for iPhones. They find it easier to create software for Apple devices than for ones running Android, or it may be more lucrative. Their allegiance to Apple has helped make its devices the powerhouse they are for the company.

**** Bluetooth Connects Simply, Cheaply, Reliably ****
<http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/13102064-452/bluetooth-connects-simply-cheaply-reliably.html>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

> All of these products get you where you’d like to be: in a house with music in every room. And they can get there for much less money than a more sophisticated home audio network device. “Practical and affordable” beats “cutting-edge and expensive” every time.

**** Warning: Apple's New Jam Session May Be Addictive ****
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_20796668/apple-new-jam-session-may-be-addictive-ipad-iphone-record-songs-garageband>
Patrick May, San Jose Mercury News

> Warning: Apple's new feature on its GarageBand app for the iPad may be habit-forming, creating a persistent and chronic time-suck that could swallow you whole.

**** Apple To Update Its Products ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303444204577458892817351470.html>
Jessica E. Vascellaro, Wall Street Journal

> Apple Inc.'s big conference for technology developers will swing into gear Monday morning with a keynote presentation that will end months of speculation about some key hardware and software initiatives.

**** "This Page Is Best Viewed From The United States" ****
<http://chronline.posterous.com/this-page-is-best-viewed-outside-the-us>
Ethan Goh, Duke Chronicle

**** Is There Any Reason To Read? ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/06/08/is_there_any_reason_to_read/>
Alberto Manguel, Salon

> It is true that, confronted with the blind imbecility with which we try to destroy our planet, the relentlessness with which we inflict pain on ourselves and others, the extent of our greed and cowardice and envy, the arrogance with which we strut among our fellow living creatures, it is hard to believe that writing — literature or any other art, for that matter — teaches us anything. If after reading lines such as Philip Larkin’s “The trees are coming into leaf,/ Like something almost being said,” we are still capable of all such atrocities, then perhaps literature does make nothing happen.

**** "The Dictator's Learning Curve" By William J. Dobson ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/books/the-dictators-learning-curve-by-william-j-dobson.html?_r=1&gwh=9129DF942F12DBB8753122FF9939C6CD>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

> “Here we go,” Tony Soprano said in the first episode of “The Sopranos” when Dr. Melfi, his psychiatrist, reached for her prescription pad. “Here comes the Prozac.”

> It’s hard not to think about Tony’s woes while reading William J. Dobson’s intelligent and absorbing “Dictator’s Learning Curve.” It’s a book that intricately explores the headache-making complexities of being an authoritarian tough guy in 2012. These despots may well be on anti-depressants too.

**** Png Eng Huat Appointed Vice-chairman Of Aljunied-Hougang Town Council ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1206957/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore’s Sticker Lady Grows Even More Popular ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/06/08/singapores-sticker-lady-grows-even-more-popular/?mod=WSJBlog>
Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

> The work of the Singapore based artist–who hasn’t been officially identified by authorities–now appears to be receiving more attention than ever, as she becomes something of a social-media phenomenon and supporters and copycats tweak her designs for their own campaigns.

Perhaps we can finally retire the "Singapore is a Fine City" t-shirts.

**** Chan Chun Sing – Writing S'pore's Welfare Cheque ****
<http://publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/637-chan-chun-sing-–-writing-spores-welfare-cheque>
Ko Siew Huey and Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> Citing housing, education and healthcare as major pillars of our social security system, Chan argues that the subsidies that are distributed through these channels far outweigh the social transfers that occur through MCYS alone.

**** Yes, It's Time For An Internet Code Of Conduct – For Readers ****
<http://journalism.sg/2012/06/11/yes-its-time-for-an-internet-code-of-conduct-–-for-readers/>
Cherian George, Journalism.sg

> We will finally wake up to the idea that the internet contains all the wonder and weirdness of the world, and we’ll stop reacting to the less pleasant stuff as if it is the end of human civilisation.

> We will remind ourselves that teenagers are – like they always have been and always will be – basically daft. We’ll leave it to their parents, teachers and peers to set them right, and award them amnesty till they are 21. We'll try not to circulate the stuff that they’ll regret saying and doing when they are adults, and we’ll certainly avoid publicising their names.

What we also need: a government code of conduct.

**** Quotes From PM Lee ****
<http://tongsthoughts.blogspot.sg/2012/06/quotes-from-pm-lee.html>
Tong's Thoughts

> I do agree with self-reliance as being part of a positive societal culture. But fairness is even more important. And those that genuinely cannot rely on themselves, try as they might, should be given reasonable assistance.

**** Small Gap Means Big Delay For NSFs ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_809443.html>
Chee Shao Wei, Straits Times

> While national service is essential, holding back servicemen from resuming their education by almost a year, because of a two-month gap, is wrong.

**** DPM Teo And The Pre-University Seminar: Policy-Makers And Dialogue Sessions ****
<http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/dpm-teo-and-the-pre-university-seminar-policy-makers-and-dialogue-sessions/>
Guanyinmao's Musings

> In essence, both sides must fulfil their ends of the deal.

Speaking of which, are we going to get another Q&A session with the prime minister on TV this year on TV, or is that a General Election stunt only?

**** Suspension Is Not Presumption Of Guilt ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120611-0000026/Suspension-is-not-presumption-of-guilt>
Kenneth Liow, Ministry Of Defence, Today

> Under the Singapore Armed Forces (Suspension of Serviceman) Regulations, a regular serviceman may be suspended when an investigation is being conducted or when he is subjected to criminal or disciplinary proceedings.

> This policy is applied consistently, including in the instance of Lieutenant Benedict Ang. There is no presumption of guilt.

Previous:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120607-0000073/MINDEFs-statement-on-sailor-seems-unfair">MINDEF's statement on sailor seems unfair</a> (Derek Low, Today): It would have sufficed if MINDEF had said that no comments would be made pending the outcome of court proceedings. But it seems to feel that it has to go one step further, regardless of how LTA Ang would be viewed.</li>
</ul>

**** Don't Cry For Ex-Ministers ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/06/dont-cry-for-ex-ministers.html>
Singapore Notes

**** What The Vandalism Act Was Meant For ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120611-0000006/What-the-Vandalism-Act-was-meant-for>
Chan Wing Cheong, Today

> The acts of the "Sticker Lady" may show a degree of preparation and deliberation - and even a large dose of creativity - but they are surely not on the same scale as what was intended to be caught by Parliament when the Vandalism Act was passed. She is also not of the same category as a hooligan or a member of a street gang painting leftist slogans.

**** Charity In The Spotlight After Getting Youths To Paste Notes On Public Property ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120611-0000039/Charity-in-the-spotlight-after-getting-youths-to-paste-notes-on-public-property>
Tan Weizhen, Today