[MyAppleMenu] Jun 9, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 9 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Much-improved Mac Minis Debut In The Nick Of Time ****
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2018389992_ptmacc09.html>
Glenn Fleishman, The Seattle Times

**** Apple Campus 2 Floor Plans Take You Inside The 'Spaceship' ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/8/3073803/apple-campus-2-floor-plans>
Andrew Webster, The Verge

> The campus will include a four level basement that features an auditorium and 4,300 parking spaces.

<http://rogueamoeba.com/utm/2012/06/08/in-response-to-mr-schiller/>
Rogue Amoeba

> Reverse engineering devices and protocols for the purpose of interoperability is a time-honored, and legally sound, tradition. Even in the notoriously draconian Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), interoperability is carved out as an exception to allow fair use. Reverse engineering is, among other things, largely responsible for the PC revolution and the computing landscape we enjoy today. Should we stop providing users with products that work together simply because other vendors dislike competition?

It is also a time-honored and legally sound tradition for a store to not carry any specific product without giving any real reasons.
(And I don't think "fair use" can be applied here.)

**** iOS 6 Confirmed: New Banners Up At Moscone West ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/ios-6-confirmed-new-banners-up-at-moscone-west/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

**** Should The Mainstream Media See Twitter As Competition? ****
<http://gigaom.com/2012/06/08/should-the-mainstream-media-see-twitter-as-competition/>
Mathew Ingram, GigaOM

> If nothing else, the Twitter deal with NASCAR reinforces the fact that for traditional media companies, competition is everywhere — just as Twitter itself can hire editors to curate and aggregate content, so brands and advertisers like the auto-racing entity are becoming publishers and content creators in their own right, with all the same tools that media outlets have at their disposal. Everyone is a media entity now.

**** Words Per Minute ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/books/review/the-narrative-physics-of-novels.html?gwh=1B3AC93BA2C76245D5025BBA22A22794>
Graham Swift, New York Times

> All novelists must form their personal pacts in some way with the slowness of their craft. There are some who demand of themselves a “rate of production,” for whom it’s a matter of pride to complete, say, a book every year. But I think most novelists, after writing their first two or three, take philosophical stock of the fact that in an average lifetime they will produce a finite and not so large number of novels and that the point of being a novelist is not to see how many you can write or how quickly you can do it. Quite a few novelists, I suspect, even carry in their heads the notion of the one, all-sufficient and perfect novel they might write, which would render all further effort redundant. It’s only because this ideal and singular novel is unattainable that they have to keep writing another, then another.

**** The Dream Of The Celt By Mario Vargas Llosa – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jun/08/dream-celt-mario-vargas-llosa-review>
Giles Foden, The Guardian

> This epic and often poetic novel delivers powerfully, giving a more rounded and authentic sense of one person's inner life and complexities than many biographies.

**** City: A Guidebook For The Urban Age By PD Smith – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jun/08/city-guidebook-urban-pd-smith-review>
Jonathan Glancey, The Guardian

> The sorcery of cities should not be lost; Smith's ebullient guidebook helps to remind us why.

**** Dr. Lim Hock Siew - Unfulfiled Dream Of The Fajar Generation.... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/06/dr-lim-hock-siew-unfulfiled-dream-of.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> Why does the law that detains good and honourable men without trial still exists? Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan should do the honourable thing and ask the gvot to repeal ISA and replaced by an anti-terrorism act. By retaining the ISA, the PAP govt reminds us that it has not changed and the existence ISA symbolises the frustrating lack of political progress in Singapore.

**** Millionaires Who Don’t Feel Rich ****
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2012/6/9/columnists/insightdownsouth/11439831&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

> Singapore may be good at accumulating wealth but it fares less well when it comes to distributing it.

> In fact, what is rubbing off some of the “wealth” shine is the widening inequality between the rich and the poor, an imbalance that ranks a notorious second in the world next to Hong Kong.

**** An Apology - And Then The Conspiracy Theories ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/634-an-apology-and-then-the-conspiracy-theories>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> We can and do disagree with others all the time. It is also important that we express this respectfully. At the end of the day, remember the golden rule – don’t do unto others what you do not want others to do unto you. To put it crudely, don’t spit in other people’s face if you do not want others to spit in yours. You seldom will go wrong with this.

I'm glad there isn't a public outcry for censorship. No matter how much you disagree with the teenager, we must still stand up for the right of him to write what he wrote.
Also:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/06/09/reuben-wang-stupid-or-cynical/"> Reuben Wang: Stupid Or Cynical?</a> (Thoughts of a Cynical Investor)</li>
</ul>

**** NTUC Foodfare To Run Hawker Centre ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_809000.html>
Ng Kai Ling, Straits Times

> In a statement on Friday, the National Environment Agency (NEA) said that it had taken up the Hawker Centre Public Consultation Panel's suggestion and appointed NTUC Foodfare to manage the Bukit Panjang Hawker Centre.

Hawkers beware. This operator will compete with you for customers directly.
Also, there goes the tradition of hawker centers having multiple drink stalls competing for your business.

**** OpenNet Loses Fight Against IDA's Decisions ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_808978.html>
K.C. Vijayan, Straits Times