[MyAppleMenu] Jul 20, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jul 20 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Is There A Cure For A Smelly Mac Pro? ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/askjack/2012/jul/20/smelly-apple-mac-pro?newsfeed=true>
Jack Schofield, The Guardian

**** Buyers Of Latest iPad More Likely To Use It For Business ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20120719/buyers-of-latest-ipad-more-likely-to-use-it-for-business/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> Whether it’s due to increasing adoption of Bring Your Own Device policies or the rising adoption by business of the device itself, Apple’s iPad continues to make inroads into enterprise.

**** Apple’s New iPad Makes Unusually Quiet Beijing Debut ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2012/07/20/apples-ipad-makes-quiet-beijing-debut/>
Paul Mozur, Wall Street Journal

> Apple’s latest iPad model went on sale quietly on Friday at a retail location in Beijing where unruly buyers and sullen crowds had marred past releases. Roughly 40 customers quietly lined up Friday morning outside the Apple Store in Beijing’s high-end Sanlitun shopping and restaurant district. They waited within a cordon surrounded security personnel and reporters. Store doors opened at 8 a.m. without disturbances.

**** History Here App Is Perfect For Summer Travel ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/19/history-here-app-is-perfect-for-summer-travel/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> In a nutshell, the app knows where you are and what historical sites are near you.

**** Apple Rolls Out iTunes Movies In The Cloud To UK, Australia, Canada, More ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/19/apple-rolls-out-itunes-movies-in-the-cloud-to-uk-australia-can/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

**** How To Get The Most Out Of iCloud ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/07/19/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-icloud/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Dom Esposito, Macgasm

**** Log Leech Offers A Clean Interface For Viewing System Log Files ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167761/log_leech_offers_a_clean_interface_for_viewing_system_log_files.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> Log Leech is a good interface for log files. It would be better if it displayed all the logs that Console can show, and it would be nice if it could also clean out old logs, which can get pretty big. But if you want a more attractive way to access system logs, this program will do what you need.

**** Acorn 3.3 Adds Retina Canvas, Smart Export, More ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/19/acorn-3-3-adds-retina-canvas-smart-export-more/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

**** Firefox Mobile OS Breaks Cover, Coming In 2013 ****
<http://www.neowin.net/news/firefox-mobile-os-breaks-cover-coming-in-2013>
Brad Sams, Neowin

**** The Demon-Haunted World By Carl Sagan – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jul/20/demon-haunted-world-carl-sagan-review>
Tim Radford, The Guardian

> Carl Sagan may have believed in extraterrestrials, but he knew that belief is meaningless without testable evidence.

**** Roger Loves Chaz ****
<http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/07/roger_loves_chaz.html?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

> Wednesday, July 18, is the 20th anniversary of our marriage. How can I begin to tell you about Chaz? She fills my horizon, she is the great fact of my life, she has my love, she saved me from the fate of living out my life alone, which is where I seemed to be heading. If my cancer had come, and it would have, and Chaz had not been there with me, I can imagine a descent into lonely decrepitude. I was very sick. I might have vegetated in hopelessness. This woman never lost her love, and when it was necessary she forced me to want to live. She was always there believing I could do it, and her love was like a wind forcing me back from the grave.

**** Racial Harmony Day ****
<http://www.newagedentists.com/uncategorized/racial-harmony-day/>
Yours Toothfully

**** Yeah, I Earn That Little, So What? ****
<http://sweet-child.net/2012/07/20/yeah-i-earn-that-little-so-what/>
Sweet Child

**** Another Sign Singapore Is Bursting At The Seams? ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/another-sign-singapore-is-bursting-at-the-seams-.html>
Jeffrey Oon, Yahoo!

> In yet another worrying sign that Singapore is fraying at the edges, an elderly retiree was left with a fractured eye socket after a parking scuffle at Serangoon Gardens turned ugly.

Here's my suggestion: remove <i>all</i> free parking lots at all private estates.

**** MediaCorp Producer Files Police Report Against Lawyer M Ravi ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1214722/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> A Tamil current affairs producer at MediaCorp has filed a police report against lawyer M Ravi for verbally abusing her during an interview with him.

**** 8% Of Companies To Freeze Wages ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/8-companies-halt-wage-increase>
Singapore Business Review

**** What's Wrong With You Mr Wong? ****
<http://article14.blogspot.sg/2012/07/whats-wrong-with-you-mr-wong.html>
Article 14

> The Law Society itself got its facts wrong initially (which was itself somewhat comedic). But, I am willing to cut the Society some slack on that. But, some action is needed to drive home the point that Wong's repeated attempts at intervention in Ravi's proceedings is not the kind of conduct that the Law Society is willing to condone.

**** Racial, Religious Issues Can Be Sensitive: Education Minister ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1214682/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Heng said while technology has enhanced communication among people, it also means that there needs to be greater responsibility in the way they use social media.

**** M Ravi Files Lawsuits Against Wong, Law Society ****
<http://publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/697-m-ravi-files-lawsuits-against-wong-law-society>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

**** Fellow Singaporeans, We Can Be Better Than That. ****
<http://kirstenhan.me/2012/07/19/fellow-singaporeans-we-can-be-better-than-that/>
Kirsten Han, Funny Little World

> If you decide that you don’t trust them enough to put in your hard-earned money, that’s fine. If you decide that you don’t support this cause and don’t want to donate, that’s fine too. But to subscribe to selfish, xenophobic views and to bring others down with mean comments? Come on, Singaporeans, surely we can be better than that?

**** Downtown Line Accident Should Not Have Happened: PM Lee ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/downtown-line-accident-should-not-have-happened--pm-lee.html>
Yahoo!

**** Changes To Medishield - Prolonging A System With Many Flaws... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/07/changes-to-medishield-prolonging-system.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

**** Don't Miss The Crux Of Why We Have COEs ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120720-0000024/Dont-miss-the-crux-of-why-we-have-COEs>
Raymond Koh Bok Swi, Today

> While I would prefer a low COE price, as one who needs to replace mine in the near term, I can understand the national policy of curbing car growth.

> Whatever system we devise, there would be unhappiness, but the greater good should prevail. I sense that we already have too many vehicles on the road and we cannot continue to aggressively expand our road system due to physical constraints.

**** Terminating Work Permit Is Abuse, Too ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120720-0000052/Terminating-work-permit-is-abuse,-too>
Danny G Tan, Today

**** 那些年, 我们在组屋底层做的事…… ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120720_022.shtml>
司徒晓昕, 联合早报

**** 遭工人党开除党籍 傅日源:我问心无愧 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120720_021.shtml>
蔡永伟, 联合早报

> 傅日源昨天也在他的面簿网页上针对媒体的询问作出回应。他坚称,他当初私下向选举局申请政治捐款证明书,是为了党的利益着想,以免出现类似2001年工人党阿裕尼竞选团队在提名日当天因为表格填不妥而被取消参选资格的“危机”。

> 他进一步解释,当初没有通知党有关他的决定,是因为选举局告诉他,申请政治捐款证明书是保密的,所以当局后来公开名单,让他大感意外。

Also:
• <a href="http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/07/dr-poh-lee-guans-account-of-workers-party-cec-meeting-on-10-july-2012/">Dr Poh Lee Guan’s account of Workers’ Party CEC Meeting on 10 July 2012</a> (Cheong Yaoming, The Online Citizen)

**** A Gradated System Of Benefits For PRs? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120720-0000019/A-gradated-system-of-benefits-for-PRs>
Yolanda Chin And Norman Vasu, Today

> Singapore's pro-immigration policy was designed mainly to mitigate the falling birthrates projected to have dire consequences on the demographic and economic vitality of the nation. Among the non-citizen population, permanent residents are accorded certain benefits not available to other foreigners who also contribute to Singapore, particularly in the area of housing, education and medical services.

**** Q3 Technical Recession Unlikely But Not Unthinkable: OCBC ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/q3-technical-recession-unlikely-not-unthinkable-ocbc>
Singapore Business Review