[MyAppleMenu] Jul 19, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 19 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Ten Stellar Keyboard Shortcuts ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167762/ten_stellar_keyboard_shortcuts.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> Among computer users, there are two types of people: mousers and keyboarders. I’m the latter. I like to use keyboard shortcuts as often as possible to save time and to keep my hands on my keyboard. Here are ten of my favorite keyboard shortcuts for the applications I use most.

**** Evernote For Mac Now Includes Activity Stream, Retina Support ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/07/18/evernote-for-mac-now-includes-activity-stream-retina-support/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

**** Apple Rolls Out Anti-scalping Reservation System In China For The First Time, As New iPad Orders Go Live ****
<http://thenextweb.com/asia/2012/07/19/apple-rolls-out-anti-scalping-reservation-system-in-china-for-the-first-time-as-new-ipad-orders-go-live/>
Jon Russell, The Next Web

> In a bid to avoid a recurrence of the chaotic scenes that marred and, ultimately, shut down the launch of the iPhone 4S in March, a new pre-register buying system has been introduced. Prospective purchasers were required to place an order this morning, which then gives them a specific ‘appointment’ time tomorrow at which they can come to the store, pay for the iPad and take it home.

**** Mac App Store Now Requires A 1024X1024 App Icon ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/18/mac-app-store-now-requires-a-1024x1024-app-icon/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

> The main reason for an icon this big is the Retina display, currently implemented on the MacBook Pro with Retina display, but presumably coming to even more Mac screens in the future.

**** Hands-On With Twist, The App That Tells People You’ll Be Horribly Late ****
<http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/07/hands-on-with-twist-a-simple-useful-app-lets-people-know-youre-eta/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Alexandra Chang, Wired

> The location-based app, which launched on Wednesday, is akin to Find My Friends, but adds the useful element of notifying family, friends or colleagues when you’re going to arrive at a specific location.

Also:
• <a href="http://ihnatko.com/2012/07/18/twisted-beginnings/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=twisted-beginnings">Twisted Beginnings</a> (Andy Ihnatko)

**** Alfred 1.3 ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13128?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> The update adds the capability to view an OS X Quick Look window for a selected result, a command to quit all running applications, and support for transient data in Clipboard History for improved coexistence with Text Expander. It also improves subtext rendering and enables you to reduce Alfred’s text size to make the app feel more compact.

**** Recyclers Disagree On Impact Of Glued-in Retina MacBook Pro Batteries ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/recyclers-disagree-on-impact-of-glued-in-retina-macbook-pro-batteries/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

> On the one hand, Apple's position seems to be that the Retina MacBook Pro qualifies for its EPEAT rating because the battery can be easily removed with "common" tools. On the other hand, an internal memo sent to AppleCare and certified third-party technicians claims that the battery should not be removed from the aluminum casing "for any reason."

**** The Ins And Outs Of iPad Photo Management ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167755/the_ins_and_outs_of_ipad_photo_management.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Apple Releases MacBook Air And MacBook Pro Update 1.0 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167758/apple_releases_macbook_air_and_macbook_pro_update_1_0.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> According to Apple’s documentation, the update fixes a problem with “increased CPU power consumption” and it also “improves compatibility with some USB devices.”

**** Will Parallel Code Ever Be Embraced? ****
<http://www.drdobbs.com/parallel/will-parallel-code-ever-be-embraced/240003926>
Andrew Binstock, Dr Dobb's

> The advent of the many-core era is not going to push developers to write more parallel code. That hasn't happened as we've gone from 1- to 2- to 4- to 8-core processors, has it? Writing parallel code is not the problem. So, let's stop trying to fix it.

**** Mozilla Wants Hundreds Of Thousands Of Firefox OS Developers ****
<http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/mozilla-firefox-os-developer-86176>
Jerome Bouteiller, TechWeek Europe

> Firefox OS will get overwhelming support because most apps are already written in HTML5, says Mozilla Europe president Tristan Nitot.

**** How Office 2013'S Streaming As A Service Works ****
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/07/how-office-2013s-streaming-as-a-service-works/>
Sean Gallagher, Ars Technica

> The Office 2013 installer is based on Microsoft’s App-V application virtualization technology, including what Microsoft calls “user experience virtualization.” While the Office applications run within Windows and not on some remote machine (as people typically think of application virtualization), they are connected through a Microsoft Office Click-to-Run component (integratedoffice.exe). The downloaded applications are essentially a local cache of functionality piped in from Microsoft's Office365 cloud service; they can run alongside an existing Windows installation without conflict.

**** Delete The Save Button ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/07/microsoft_office_2013_and_the_save_button_come_on_computers_are_smart_enough_to_preserve_everything_i_type_without_me_hitting_a_stupid_disk_icon_.html>
Farhad Manjoo, Slate

> Computers are smart enough to preserve everything I type without me hitting a stupid disk icon.

**** Hiking The Grand Canyon In A Day ****
<http://www.theawl.com/2012/07/grand-canyon-in-a-day>
John Ore, The Awl

> Signs posted at the rim of the Grand Canyon warn you not to attempt to hike to the river and back in one day: it's too strenuous, and you need to be prepared with food and a gallon of water per person. Apparently, there are several deaths (especially in the summer months) and 250 rescues made each year, so the National Park Service is serious about this. Typical warnings exhort: "DO NOT attempt to hike from the rim to the river and back in one day, especially May to September."

> I arrived at the Grand Canyon in late March. It was Spring Break, 1990.

**** There But For The By Ali Smith - Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jul/17/there-but-for-the-ali-smith-review>
Nicholas Lezard, The Guardian

> I know more than one person who, when picking up a book to see if it's worth reading, turns to page 62 and, if that's any good, buys it. This is a sound technique, as far as it goes, but I prefer to start as the author wished me to. So I hurled a copy of <i>The Da Vinci Code</i> across the room in disgust before I'd even finished the first sentence; and I clasped this book to my bosom also before I'd even finished the first sentence.

**** From The Ruins Of Empire By Pankaj Mishra – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jul/19/from-ruins-empire-pankaj-mishra-review>
Julia Lovell, The Guardian

> Debates about the rise of the modern west (and corresponding decline of the east) remain a fertile source of historical polemic. Such oppositional historiography – the idea of a head-on clash of civilisations, with a clear winner and loser – seems to hold a perennial appeal in terms of both its simplicity and its drama of antagonism.

**** A Man Apart ****
<http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?type=&id=773&fulltext=1&media>
Robert Zaretsky, Los Angeles Review Of Books

**** PAP - Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/695-pap-between-the-devil-and-the-deep-blue-sea>
Elaine Ee, Publichouse.sg

> Change is never easy and almost invariably leaves someone unhappy. But worse than that is for people to not know where you stand. The PAP needs to work out what it wants to become and more boldly go down that path, like its first generation of party leaders did.

**** Is Singapore Making Progrees In Upholding Dignity Of Domestic Workers? ****
<http://newsblaze.com/story/20120718151022iwfs.nb/topstory.html>
Tess Bacalla, News Blaze

> Singapore prides itself on being a first world country. If that is really the case, it is time that it should also work towards complying with international treaties, like the Convention on Domestic Workers, and work towards giving women like Rosalie Sta. Maria a more secure life and future.

**** Even New Citizens And Expats Think Singapore Is Having Problems. Are You Listening Sir? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/07/even-new-citizens-and-expats-think-singapore-is-having-problems-are-you-listening-sir/>
Jen, The Online Citizen

> And if you don’t know by now what will make the people of this country happy and what will make us truly proud of this country, then maybe you should search your conscience and ask if you are in the right job.

**** Malaysia And Singapore: Winds Of Change? (I) ****
<http://singaporearmchaircritic.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/malaysia-and-singapore-winds-of-change-i/>
Singapore Armchair Critic

**** Town Council’s Reply To “Is The Town Council Confused About Cleaners’ Pay?” ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/07/town-councils-reply-to-is-the-town-council-confused-about-cleaners-pay/>
Nicky Ng, Sembawang-Nee Soon Town Council, The Online Citizen

> We would like to clarify that the Town Councils' policy of paying our full-time cleaners a minimum wage of $1,000 a month remains unchanged. We have checked the contract document signed by Mdm Rosnah Aman with her employer, Ramky Clentech Services Pte Ltd. Mdm Rosnah is a part time worker with our Contractor, Ramky.

> She worked for 6 hours a day earning $850. If she is a full time cleaner working for 8 hours, she would have earned at least $1,000 a month. Our Town Council staff conducts check and ensure that our contractors pay their full time workers working for 8 hours a minimum salary of $1000 a month.

**** Busy Singaporeans Turn Harsh In Public Places ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/hr-education/news/busy-singaporeans-turn-harsh-in-public-places>
Singapore Business Review

**** Economists Urge Singapore To Redefine Progress, Bhutan-style ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/economists-urge-singapore-redefine-progress-bhutan-style-070947540.html>
Bhavan Jaipragas, Yahoo!

> Landlocked and aid-dependent Bhutan may be worlds apart from Singapore and its globalised, advanced economy, but the Himalayan kingdom's unique people-centric growth model could still teach the city-state a thing or two, say two leading Singapore economists.

**** Medishield Premiums To Go Up In Major Revamp ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/proposed-changes-to-medishield-scheme-in-2013-to-see-higher-lifetime-claims-and-increased-premiums--.html>
Lin Wenjian, Yahoo!

**** 2 Construction Workers Killed In Singapore In Latest Blow For City-state’s Subway System ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/2-construction-workers-killed-in-singapore-in-latest-blow-for-city-states-subway-system/2012/07/19/gJQAlhZ7uW_story.html>
Associated Press

**** StarHub's Loss Of English Premier League Rights A Blessing In Disguise ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/telecom-internet/news/starhubs-loss-english-premier-league-rights-blessing-in-disguise>
Singapore Business Review

**** PUB To Build Detention Tank, Diversion Canal At Stamford Canal Catchment ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1214405/1/.html>
Olivia Siong, Channel NewsAsia

**** The Hikes Go On ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/07/the-hikes-go-on.html>
Singapore Notes

> With CPF Life the official position is: "the monthly income may be adjusted depending on the actual interest rate". With Medishield it's more ludicrous, we have signed up, and they are changing the goal posts. Is this even legal?

Maybe we should treat these as taxes.

**** In Singapore, Fast Food That’s Fresh, healthy ****
<http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/17/2203408/on-the-table-in-singapore-fast.html>
Suzanne Havala Hobbs, The News & Observer

> The mainstay for the masses are dozens of small food stands clustered in food courts within walking distance of practically everybody.

**** Don't Raise Polyclinic Fees To Solve Overcrowding ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_823707.html>
Lim Boon Hee, Straits Times

> Inexpensive primary health care is a necessity for the poorest 30 per cent of Singaporeans.

> Pushing needy citizens to private general practitioners (GPs) will only increase their financial burden.

**** Top Criminal Lawyer Criticises Law Society Over M Ravi Incident ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1214395/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> The Association of Criminal Lawyers of Singapore (ACLS) has criticised the Law Society of Singapore, saying that it viewed "with some trepidation" the actions of a Law Society representative who, on Monday, submitted a medical letter to the High Court stating that lawyer M Ravi is unfit to practise.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_823701.html">Law Society's remarks puzzling</a> (Young Pak Nang, Straits Times): I find it ironic that a hallowed body like the Law Society, led by experienced lawyers, issued an official statement without checking the full facts, yet now cautions the public to check the facts first before making comments on the way Dr Calvin Fones' letter was handled.

**** Poh Lee Guan Expelled From Workers' Party ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1214332/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia