[MyAppleMenu] Jul 17, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 17 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** iPad With LTE Is POTY ****
<http://scripting.com/stories/2012/07/17/ipadWithLteIsPoty.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

> An always-on always-connected, easy-to-use device, that's not all that expensive. We've arrived.

**** Retina-ready Mac Apps Are On The Way ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167720/retina_ready_mac_apps_are_on_the_way.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

> Macworld contacted two dozen app developers this week to check the status of the updating efforts. Most said they were on the verge of releasing Retina-enabled updates for their software—but companies with multiple titles said those upgrades would be rolling out slowly over the next few months.

**** Microsoft Offers Some Details On Future Of Office For Mac And iOS ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167730/microsoft_offers_some_details_on_future_of_office_for_mac_and_ios.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

Also:
• <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/technology/microsoft-unveils-touch-based-version-of-office.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimestech&seid=auto">Microsoft Unveils Touch-Based Version of Office</a> (Nick Wingfield, New York Times)

**** Adobe Issues Fix For InDesign Crashes Under Lion 10.7.4 ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/16/adobe-issues-fix-for-indesign-crashes-under-lion-10-7-4/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

**** Stop Panicking About iCloud E-mail ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/16/stop-panicking-about-icloud-e-mail/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Peter Cohen, The Loop

> There’s no evidence or indication from Apple to suggest that the old addresses are going away, just that new iCloud users will get the new addresses.

**** Hunting The Elusive MPAA Rating Field In iTunes ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13122?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> I was gobsmacked to discover (after hunting high and low through the Get Info metadata fields) that there’s no way to edit parental control ratings within iTunes.

**** An Alternative For AirPlay Mirroring ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167702/an_alternative_for_airplay_mirroring.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Schedule Playtimes For iTunes Playlists With Daypart ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167670/schedule_playtimes_for_itunes_playlists_with_daypart.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

**** “What The F*** Is iCloud?” ****
<http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/what-the-f-is-icloud>
John Herman, BuzzFeed

> It's coming time for Apple users to pay their cloud storage dues. One problem: a lot of them have no idea what that even means.

**** How Blogging Came To Be ****
<http://scripting.com/stories/2012/07/16/howBloggingCameToBe.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

> I published it. Then something great happened. Gates read my email, and responded with a total Bill Gates rant, and of course I sent it back to my readers. I would say that's roughly when blogging was born. I know some people disagree. But from that point on, no one questioned the power of an individual with a net connection and a scripting language.

**** How New York’s Love Affair With Starbucks Turned Sour ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2012/07/how_new_york_s_love_affair_with_starbucks_turned_sour_.html>
Jonathan A. Knee, Slate

> It started when they took away the comfortable chairs.

**** A Poet By Any Other Name ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/classic_poems/2012/07/ben_jonson_s_on_my_first_son_does_the_speaker_matter_.html>
Robert Pinsky, Slate

> Who is “the speaker” and does it matter?

**** How Will Change To Mandatory Death Penalty Laws Affect Low IQ Offenders? ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/life-sentences-low-iq-offenders-080148834.html>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

**** Case To Stop S'pore's US$4b Pledge To IMF Heard In High Court ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1213987/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

**** The Law Of Contempt And Posts By Alex Au On The Blog ‘Yawning Bread’ ****
<http://www.agc.gov.sg/Newsroom/documents/AGCPressRelease17Jul2012.pdf>
Attorney-General's Chambers

> Unlike other blogs or commentary, Alex Au went beyond merely criticising the judgment. He deliberately misrepresented the facts, and then accused the court of being biased, on the basis of his false facts. This is very wrong. To make his points sound valid Alex Au decided to mislead.

> Thus AGC asked Mr Au to remove his remarks setting out the false facts, and apologise for making the contemptuous remarks of the judiciary. It is misleading of Mr Au to now allege that our laws on contempt prevent debate and curtail free speech without acknowledging what he has done.

**** 3 In 10 Singaporeans Worry That Singapore Is In Recession ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/3-in-10-singaporeans-worry-singapore-in-recession>
Singapore Business Review

> According to a survey by Nielsen, In the second quarter of 2012, consumers in Singapore showed lower confidence levels in the economy, with 31 percent indicating they believe the country is in recession, up 4 percentage points from Q1 2012. Among those who believe the country is in recession, 29 percent think the economy will recover over the next 12 months. Eighteen percent of respondents indicated their top concern is the economy, unchanged from the previous quarter.

Also:
• <a href="http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/stingy-singaporeans-cut-spending-year">Stingy Singaporeans to cut spending this year</a> (Singapore Business Review): “The slight pullback in consumer confidence in Singapore is not a surprise given the onslaught of negative news about the global economy and closer to home, uncertainties with the slow-down in China and India. Consumers are signaling a continuing conservatism when it comes to spending and managing their expenses. We expect them to adopt various coping strategies such as value-seeking, buying on promotions and delaying discretionary spending to keep expenses reined in amidst inflationary pressures and worries about the economy,” said Joan Koh, Managing Director, Nielsen Singapore and Malaysia.

**** Two National Monuments To Get Funding For Restoration Works ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1213962/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** On The Right Track ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/691-on-the-right-track>
Publichouse.sg

> Despite the justifiable anger at LTA and the Transport Ministry, they should be given a chance to show that they can turn things around.

Also:
• <a href="http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/smrt-fined-2-million-what-about-lta-lapses/">SMRT fined $2 million: what about LTA lapses?</a> (SpotlightOnSingapore)

**** HOME Comments On Govt Response To US Human Trafficking Report ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120717-0000001/HOME-comments-on-Govt-response-to-US-human-trafficking-report>
Today

**** A Personal Note On The Proposed Amendments To The Mandatory Death Penalty ****
<http://rachelzeng.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/a-short-note-on-the-proposed-amendments-to-the-mandatory-death-penalty/>
Rachel Zeng

> In order to build a compassionate society, having a system of legal punishment so violent in the name of “justice” only sends a clear message to society that violence is necessary, rather than forgiveness and rehabilitation. The value of human life and humanity diminishes if one makes a mistake (no matter how light or grave), that they are instantly condemned to violence and cruelty.

**** Parliament Sitting Extended Twice ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120717-0000010/Parliament-sitting-extended-twice>
Gan Kim Yong, Government Whip, Today

> The sitting lasted longer than normal; it was extended twice and beyond 7.30pm to allow the Transport Minister to answer queries on the Land Transport Authority of Singapore (Amendment) Bill.

> As MPs were not given any prior notice of extensions, many had to leave to attend to official functions and constituency duties before the sitting was adjourned. The LTA Bill was therefore passed the following day.

**** Lawyer's Condition Called Into Question ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120717-0000038/Lawyers-condition-called-into-question>
Amir Hussain, Today

> The letter - its contents were seen by TODAY - was dated yesterday. It was signed by Dr Calvin Fones Soon Leng from Gleneagles Medical Centre and addressed to the Law Society. Dr Fones said he reviewed Mr Ravi on May 14 "following the concerns expressed by his friends".

> Dr Fones added that Mr Ravi "is having a manic relapse" of bipolar disorder and he "lacks any insight into his condition, as is often the case for patients who relapse".

Also:
• <a href="http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/689-doctor’s-letter-“ridiculous”-says-m-ravi">Doctor’s letter “ridiculous”, says M Ravi</a> (Andrew Loh / Richard Wan, Publichouse.sg)
• <a href="http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/688-i-am-well-lawyer-m-ravi">"I am well" : Lawyer M Ravi</a> (Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg)

**** Crafting A Bogus Narrative For The Imported Labor Issue....... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/07/crafting-new-narrative-for-imported.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

**** Why Stronger Singdollar Will Not Tame Inflation ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_822970.html>
Jonathan Leaw, Straits Times

> The MAS might be heading in the wrong direction if it continues to use a stronger currency to fight inflation that is not largely due to rising import prices. Thus, the MAS should leave the problem of inflation to be solved by supply-side policies, and focus more on stimulating economic growth.

**** Yes, There Is A Link And An Unfortunate Divide ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_822962.html>
Marietta Koh Ai-meng, Straits Times