[MyAppleMenu] Jul 16, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 16 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** How iOS Became An Essential Platform For Making Music ****
<http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/portable-audio/how-ios-became-an-essential-platform-for-making-music-1088387>
Hollin Jones, TechRadar

> From synths and sequencers, to samplers and multi-track recorders, mobile music-making has never been easier.

Never believe anyone who tells you an iPhone or an iPad is <i>only</i> for consumption.

**** Doxie Go A Handy Document Scanner ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167576/doxie_go_a_handy_document_scanner.html#lsrc.rss_main>
R. Matthew Ward, Macworld

> The Doxie Go's portability and ability to scan without a computer made scanning very convenient. Just as the best camera is the one you have with you, the best scanner is the one that you will actually use—and I got more use out of the Doxie Go during my review period than I have from any other scanner I've owned.

**** With Apple’s Siri, A Romance Gone Sour ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/with-apple’s-siri-a-romance-gone-sour/>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

**** Startup Uses A Smartphone Compass To Track People Indoors ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428494/startup-uses-a-smartphone-compass-to-track-people/?ref=rss>
Jessica Leber, Technology Review

> People have used magnetic compasses to find their way outdoors for centuries. In a twist, a startup has found a way to use the magnetic sensors in smartphones to locate people themselves—this time, indoors, where GPS signals don't normally reach. Tracking people in this way could lead to mobile maps that work indoors, and let stores target offers to customers standing in front of a particular product.

**** Behind The Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death And Hope In A Mumbai Slum By Katherine Boo: Review ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/9395213/Behind-the-Beautiful-Forevers-Life-Death-and-Hope-in-a-Mumbai-Slum-by-Katherine-Boo-review.html>
Bryony Gordon, Telegraph

> At Mumbai airport they do their level best to show you the new India – the one whose economy is growing at one of the fastest rates in the world, the one where men can afford to build 27-storey homes with three helipads, several swimming pools, a ballroom and space for 600 domestic staff. And yet you can’t help but notice another India – the one in which people live on top of each other, in slums that practically spill on to the airport’s runway. It is this India that the New Yorker writer Katherine Boo has chosen to document in <i>Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Slum</i>.

**** Friends Of A Certain Age ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/fashion/the-challenge-of-making-friends-as-an-adult.html?_r=2>
Alex Williams, New York Times

> No matter how many friends you make, a sense of fatalism can creep in: the period for making B.F.F.’s, the way you did in your teens or early 20s, is pretty much over. It’s time to resign yourself to situational friends: K.O.F.’s (kind of friends) — for now.

> But often, people realize how much they have neglected to restock their pool of friends only when they encounter a big life event, like a move, say, or a divorce.

**** A Table To Eat And Write On: The Joys Of A Studio Flat ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/15/joys-studio-flat-apartments-new-york?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Emily Gould, The Guardian

> Micro-apartments may well raise New York rents sky-high, but they are perfect for young independent strivers.

**** No Internet Code But Start “Brainwashing” From Young? ****
<http://jentrifiedcitizen.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/no-internet-code-but-start-brainwashing-from-young/>
Jentrified Citizen

> nterpret it as you will but going by this Government’s past and present actions, one can deduce that this education programme will serve their political interests and agenda.

**** Straits Times Carnival Vs Pink Dot 2012 ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/straits-times-carnival-vs-pink-dot-2012/>
Andrew Loh

> Certainly, the Pink Dot event – in any other newspaper – would have attracted a more prominent report. But we all know what the Straits Times – govt-controlled and all – feels about giving too much publicity to events not sanctioned or approved by the State.

Given that SPH is technically a private company, of course it should have the freedom to choose what to publish, and how much coverage it gives.
The solution is not to demand or restrict what SPH can or cannot cover. The solution is to make sure there are multiple publications that can choose what and how much to cover individually.

**** SMRT Fined S$2m For December Train Disruptions ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1213812/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> The Land Transport Authority will impose the maximum fine of S$2 million on transport operator SMRT for the two train disruptions along the North-South Line on December 15 and 17 last year.

> [SMRT] has failed, among other things, to exercise due diligence and vigilance expected of a public transport operator, and to maintain its network in good and efficient working condition.

**** Four SDP Members Want Court Of Appeal To Hear Case On Illegal Assembly ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1213804/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Judgement Reserved On Hearing For Hougang By-election Case ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120716-0000087/Judgement-reserved-on-hearing-for-Hougang-by-election-case>
Amir Hussain, Today

**** Singapore Retreats From Mandatory Death Penalty By An Inch ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/singapore-retreats-from-mandatory-death-penalty-by-an-inch/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> It makes one wonder, doesn’t it, what confidence to put on these so-called opinions of the majority in Singapore. Are they really convictions, or mere echoing of the perceived government stand of the day? The mere bleating of sheep?

**** Lessons From The Bromptom Bike Purchase.... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/07/lessons-from-bromptom-bike-purchase.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> The Singapore public wants our tax dollars to be spent they way that ordinary middle class families would spend it for items that they are familiar with.

**** Foreigners’ School Fees Up, Singaporeans’ Too? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/07/foreigners-school-fees-up-singaporeans-too/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

> Whilst the principle of further differentiating fees by citizenship is a valid one, why is it that when fees are increased (be it school fees, university fees, healthcare fees, etc), the fees for Singaporeans are also invariably raised?

**** 'Help Couples Age Together' ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120716-0000008/Help-couples-age-together>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

> As the Republic braces itself for the silver tsunami, a three-year study has revealed, among other findings, a glaring lack of awareness among the respondents of eldercare services, and a higher-than-expected proportion of those below 65 who have either considered relocating overseas post-retirement or were not sure they would remain here.

> Calling for eldercare services to evolve - by drawing on the bonds between elderly married couples - the study also reaffirmed that a majority of Singaporeans would prefer to live with their family members when they grow old.

**** Keeping The History Of Void Decks Alive ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120716-0000011/Keeping-the-history-of-void-decks-alive>
Amanda Lee, Today