[MyAppleMenu] Jan 31, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jan 31 18:59:01 EST 2012

**** Apple Updates Final Cut Pro X With Multicam, Broadcast Monitoring ****
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/01/31/apple-updates-final-cut-pro-x-with-multicam-broadcast-monitoring/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> Perhaps the biggest new feature in Final Cut Pro X is the addition of Multicam editing. Typical of Apple when adding a new feature, the company didn’t just think about how to add the functionality, they thought about how to do it better than before.

**** Consent Of The Networked ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2012/01/consent_of_the_networked_how_google_facebook_and_other_cyberspace_powerhouses_handle_digital_power_.html>
Rebecca MacKinnon, Slate

> On Super Bowl Sunday, Jan. 22, 1984, Apple ran one of the most famous TV advertisements of all time.

> Fifteen years later, in the fall of 2009, Apple officially launched the iPhone in China in partnership with a domestic mobile carrier, China Unicom. As a condition for entry into the Chinese market, Apple had to agree to the Chinese government’s censorship criteria in vetting the content of all iPhone apps available for download on devices sold in mainland China.

**** Apple Names John Browett As New Senior Vice President Of Retail ****
<http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/31/apple-announces-john-browett-as-senior-vice-president-of-retail/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

> Apple announced this morning that John Browett has joined Apple as their new Senior Vice President of Retail. Browett is leaving his position as CEO of Dixons Retail.

**** Cobook Powers Up Your Mac’s Address Book With Social Networks, Mouseless Navigation ****
<http://lifehacker.com/5880699/cobook-powers-up-your-macs-address-book-with-social-networks-keyboard+heavy-navigation>
Whitson Gordon, Lifehacker

**** The Best Screen Capture Tool For Mac OS X ****
<http://lifehacker.com/5880540/the-best-screen-capture-tool-for-mac-os-x>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

> Of the many available, Skitch is our favorite for its many annotation tools and instant-sharing options.

**** How To Trigger OS X System Events With Griffin Proxi ****
<http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57368606-285/how-to-trigger-os-x-system-events-with-griffin-proxi/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Griffin Technologies, which makes a number of peripheral devices for Mac OS and iOS systems, has a tool called Proxi that makes triggering scripted tasks far easier.

**** iOS Photo And Video Highlights Of Macworld | iWorld 2012 ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/12759?rss>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

**** Macworld | iWorld 2012: In A Word, Confident ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/12756?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> The last two years had a mixture of hesitance — “Will a conference without Apple succeed?” — and defiance — “We’ll show Apple that we can have a conference without them!” That mix was gone this year, and apart from people unrelated to the Apple world with whom we talked during the trip, no one who was actually attending Macworld Expo even mentioned the fact that Apple wasn’t present. As I’ve said repeatedly, Apple’s absence from Macworld Expo is largely irrelevant. I’d even argue that it’s better for exhibitors, since Apple’s announcements tended to overshadow everything else that was being shown.

**** Booth Babes: iCandy Or iScream? ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/12757>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

> It’s distressing that we’ve gone backward in this respect from Macworld Expos of 5 or 10 years ago, when such models were few and far between. Perhaps that’s part of the price of attracting a younger and less-professional audience with iOS, but that doesn’t make the show floor any more welcoming.

**** Hibari Design Philosophy ****
<http://violasong.com/2012/01/hibari-design-philosophy>
Violasong

> Using a Twitter client means I can keep up to date with my friends’ ideas and blips of daily life without getting distracted from my primary activities. Hibari is designed to be always visible on the side of the screen, to be glanced at throughout the day, and as such it necessitates a small footprint and high standards of minimalism.

> Because Hibari is a secondary app, I want it to fit in with the feel of the operating system as much as possible. I call Hibari “minimalist,” but it’s certainly not an instance of bare, angular, monochromatic minimalism. I’m aiming instead for a quiet, soothing, Japanese-style minimalism; one that feels natural. For my taste, an angular black & white app juxtaposed against the grays of OS X wouldn’t produce the most minimalist result.

**** Macworld|iWorld 2012 Completes post-Apple Transition To "iFan Event" ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/01/macworldiworld-2012-completes-post-apple-transition-to-ifan-event.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

> As a tech journalist, Macworld has gradually become less interesting. As a user of Apple's products and a geek in general, however, the show has become perhaps more interesting.

**** Automator Workflow Of The Month: Clear The iPod Photo Cache ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/164929/2012/01/automator_workflow_of_the_month_clear_the_ipod_photo_cache.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> For example, you might not be aware that when you sync photos to your iOS device or photo-compatible iPod, iTunes creates separate versions of those photos and stores them within your iPhoto library. These files are never deleted and pile up over time. And the longer you have them, the less likely that you’re even syncing all of them to your devices.

Now that we are all moving to smaller SSD drives, reclaiming disk space is critical again.

**** Apple Releases iOS-like AirPort Utility 6.0 For Lion ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-releases-ios-like-airport-utility-6-0-for-lion/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> AirPort Utility has been updated to both version 5.6 (latest one was 5.5.3) and 6.0,the latter available now as 14.3 MB download in Software Update. Whilst 5.6 is a minor update that ”resolves an issue with using network passwords stored in the Keychain” and ”works with AirPort Express 802.11g and AirPort Extreme 802.11g base stations”, AirPort Utility 6.0 is a major rewrite of the application that now resembles its iOS counterpart released in October of last year.

**** Apple Seeks To Thwart iPhone Scalpers In Hong Kong With New Reservation System ****
<http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/30/apple-seeks-to-thwart-iphone-scalpers-in-hong-kong-with-new-reservation-system/>
Eric Silvka, MacRumors

> With the new system, customers wishing to purchase an iPhone at the company's retail store in the IFC Mall must request a reservation between 9:00 AM and noon one day prior to their desired purchase. By 9:00 PM that same day, Apple will determine stock levels for the following day and notify customers who are granted reservations for the following morning.

**** Beyond The Personal Automobile ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/business/39579/?ref=rss>
Dan Sturges, Technology Review

> You won't hear large automobile companies talk about it, but information technology gives society the greatest chance in decades to rethink transportation. Instead of cars equipped with medical sensors, I would like to see fewer cars and more room for bike paths. A little exercise will make our hearts stronger.

**** Inner Space: Clearing Some Room For Inspiration ****
<http://www.pw.org/content/inner_space_clearing_some_room_for_inspiration_0>
Frank Bures, Poets And Writers

> Looking back, what I remember about Spanbauer’s house is this: It was dark and quiet. He had an old computer sitting in the middle of a table in his dining room. Since this was a decade ago, I pointed to it and asked if he could “dial up” from there. His exact wording is gone now, but he said something to this effect: “Writing, for me, is a deeply private affair, and I can’t imagine making the place I write so public.”

**** To Lose One Party May Be Regarded As A Misfortune, But Three? ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/to-lose-one-party-may-be-regarded-as-a-misfortune-but-three/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> Our political system is one of cabinet government. To succeed, a party must be able to find enough leaders who can work together. This means an essential quality of a party leader is that of being able to work collegially with others despite differences of opinion from time to time. And since ambition is never far away in politics, a party leader must be able to suffer other egos as big as his own.

> A good leader is one who never forgets that the mission is far more important than himself. It is the shared mission that attracts people and sustains their loyalty. Personality politics cannot take a party very far. Instead, it is more advisable to tend to core ideas and defining principles for the sake of a party’s future.

**** This Is Not The Way – How Not To Hold A Conversation ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/01/this-is-not-the-way-how-not-to-hold-a-conversation/>
Joseph Teo, The Online Citizen

**** Appointment Of Members Of The Public Transport Council ****
<http://app.mot.gov.sg/News_Centre/Latest_News/NewsID/78B49FFF2D149632/Appointment_of_members_of_the_Public_Transport_Council.aspx>
Ministry Of Transport, Singapore Government

> The Minister for Transport, Mr Lui Tuck Yew, has appointed 16 members to the Public Transport Council (PTC) for the period 1 February 2012 to 31 January 2014. Of the 16 members, four are new appointments.

Gerard Ee remains as the chairman.

**** Can PAP Survive 2016? ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/01/can-pap-survive-2016.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> What else is there in PAP to hold against a new slate of able and good candidates from the opposition when practically every minister is now looking so vulnerable?

**** Singapore, A Delicious Multi-cultural Destination To Chew On ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatlife/9044088/Singapore-a-delicious-multi-cultural-destination-to-chew-on.html>
Maida Pineda, The Telegraph

> What I found in Singapore was a delicious multi-cultural destination to chew on. But I also found myself fitting into a community of global citizens who have found a home in this compact island.

**** Number Of Property Agents Falls 11 Per Cent ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120131-0000110/Number-of-property-agents-falls-11-per-cent>
Today

> The estate agency watchdog said property agents who did not continue with their registration were part-timers who opted to focus on their full-time jobs, or had found a full-time job.

**** LTA Reviewing Rules For Taxis, Will Not Look Into Fare Structure ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_761205.html>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

> The Straits Times understands that the review will instead cover a range of matters including service standards, the colour of cabs, type of roof-top signs and a proposal that limousine cabs be visually more distinguishable from regular taxis.

Will LTA be looking into cutting down rules and regulations so that there can be more competition, or are they looking into adding more rules and regulations so that only existing players can continue to play?

**** Singapore's Unemployment Rate Drops To 14-Year Low In 2011 ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1180036/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Supported by strong employment creation, Singapore's unemployment rate declined to a 14-year low last year.

> The Manpower Ministry said the median income of Singaporeans also increased, amid the tight labour market.

See Also: <a href="http://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/Pages/PressReleasesDetail.aspx?listid=404">Employment Situation, 2011</a>, by Ministry of Manpower, Singapore Government.

**** ‘Engineering Solutions Won't Help Singapore's Flood Problem’ ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/‘engineering-solutions-will-not-help-s’pore’s-flash-flood-problem’.html>
Fann Sim, Yahoo!

> Flash floods are going be the norm for Singapore and "no amount of brilliant engineering can resolve that problem," said Dr Chris Hails, chairman of World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) Singapore.

> The possible impacts of climate change that Singapore is going to face includes increased frequency of flash floods, urban heat island effect and a greater risk of pollution-related health problems. These climate change consequences are non-exclusive and problems such as forest fires in Borneo and threatened rice yields in Thailand could very well affect Singapore drastically.

**** Singapore's Drainage Standards Not Up To Other Cities': Panel ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_761207.html>
Straits Times

> Singapore's drainage-design standards still lag behind those in other places, said an expert panel, despite the standards being raised after the 2010 Orchard Road flood.

**** Is It Just "No Fun" Being Poor In Singapore? ****
<http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/5119-is-it-just-qno-funq-being-poor-in-singapore->
Singaore Democratic Party