[MyAppleMenu] Jan 30, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 30 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** Apple's Siri: The Truth Is, She's No Bandwidth Hog ****
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/ciocentral/2012/01/30/apples-siri-the-truth-is-shes-no-bandwidth-hog/>
Eric Savitz, Forbes

> Why burden you with this analysis? Because I don’t want users to think Siri will increase their bills or to lose out on the magic of Siri’s artificial intelligence. And I don’t want developers to be discouraged if and when Apple opens its API.

> America’s love affair with Siri can continue – and, indeed, spread throughout the world – without endangering our networks or ability to call grandma.

**** Do You Have The Paperback Or The Hardcover? ****
<http://brooksreview.net/2012/01/ugh/>
Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review

**** Silicon Implants ****
<http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/01/technology-trade-shows>
The Economist

> Your correspondent has a variety of conflicting feelings about the booth babes, who were the topic of much discussion. Deployment of pretty young things to reel men in is so blatant a ploy that cognitive dissonance soon sets in. Being a man, Babbage cannot deny evolution's impact on his admiration of attractive women. Yet he resents it being used against him.

**** Meet Bill Gates, The Man Who Changed Open Source Software ****
<http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/01/meet-bill-gates/all/1>
Cade Metz, Wired

> For Ramji — who would spend more than three and a half years as the company’s chief open source strategist — the moment Bill Gates stood up was the moment Microsoft turned the corner on its approach to free software. “He was given little to no credit by the open source community — or anyone in the tech industry — for really understanding open source and why it can be important, how it can be a competitive advantage, and why when your competitors start to use it, you have to too. He really got it, and in that moment, he taught us all.”

**** Disruptions: In Davos, Technology Moves Center Stage ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/disruptions-in-davos-technology-moves-center-stage/>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

**** Old Techies Never Die; They Just Can’t Get Hired As An Industry Moves On ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/us/bay-area-technology-professionals-cant-get-hired-as-industry-moves-on.html?pagewanted=all>
Aaron Glantz, New York Times

> While Web-based companies like Facebook and Google are scouring the world for new talent to hire, older technology workers often find that their skills are no longer valued.

> Part of the problem, analysts said, is that many of the companies shedding jobs are technology manufacturers, while most of the companies that are hiring are Internet-based.

**** Search For Aliens Is On Again, But Next Quest Is Finding Money ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/30/science/space/seti-research-is-revived-life-out-there.html?ref=science&pagewanted=all>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

> E.T. might be phoning, but do we care enough to take the call?

**** The Art Of The Obituary ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9047401/The-Art-of-the-Obituary.html>
Harry de Quetteville, The Telegraph

> As obituaries editor of the Telegraph, I’m often asked if I find my job depressing. “Doesn’t it get you down?” people say in hushed, sympathetic tones, as though we were huddled together in the plushly upholstered confines of a Mayfair undertakers. “I mean, dealing with that relentless tide of death…” At which point I trot out a line well worn by those in my particular area of journalism: “Obituaries are not about death,” I insist. “They are a celebration of life.”

**** Mulberry Street May Fade, But ‘Mulberry Street’ Shines On ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/30/education/dr-seuss-book-mulberry-street-turns-75.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all>
Michael Winerip, New York Times

> “I’ll take you to see Mulberry Street,” said Guy McLain, the director of the Museum of Springfield History.

> He meant the real Mulberry Street, the one that inspired the first of Dr. Seuss’ 44 children’s books.

**** Literally – The Much Misused Word Of The Moment ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mind-your-language/2012/jan/29/literally-a-much-misused-word?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Ben Masters, The Guardian

> The point is that these writers are actually being highly precise in their misuses.

**** Myanmar, Singapore Sign Cooperation Pact ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204652904577192080994977736.html>
Gaurav Raguvanshi, Wall Street Journal

> But even if the West does lift its sanctions, analysts and corporate executives say that attracting more foreign investment will require that Myanmar make further changes—some of which, such as improving its main banks' financial health and overhauling a confusing currency system that involves multiple exchange rate, could prove technically complex for Myanmar's leaders after so many years of isolation.

> Working with Singapore—one of Asia's main financial centers—could help accelerate those changes if Myanmar's leaders decide to emulate some of the wealthy city-state's financial institutions. It is also possible some Myanmar companies might seek to list on Singapore's stock exchange, analysts have said.

**** Smoking Out Tobacco Control And Foreign Student Scholarships ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/smoking-out-tobacco-control-and-foreign-student-scholarships/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> But why should only members of parliament get a chance to ask such questions? If we want informed voters, which surely the People’s Action Party cannot disagree with, there has to be ways for the public to obtain such information. It’s time for a Freedom of Information Act.

I don't think "informed voters" is what the PAP government wants. A Freedom of Information Act is needed because there are too many secrets the PAP government want to keep.

**** SAF Personnel Not Allowed To Sit In Crowded MRT Train While In Uniform? ****
<http://alvinology.com/2012/01/29/saf-personnel-not-allowed-to-sit-in-crowded-mrt-train-while-in-uniform/>
Alvin Lim, Alvinology

> It is bad enough that Singaporean men are forced to serve two years of full-time “slavery” (NSF) and at least ten years of part-time “slavery” (NSmen) on slave wages (just $200+ a month during my time).

> It saddens me further that not only are we not being appreciated by our fellow Singaporeans, some like this lady here perceives us to be lesser beings, singled out for discrimination.

**** Redefining The Political Landscape ****
<http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/5118-redefining-the-political-landscape>
Vincent Wijeysingha, Singaore Democratic Party

**** No Private Sector Job Would Give You Five Years To Prove Yourself ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/01/no-private-sector-job-would-give-you-five-years-to-prove-yourself/>
Ghui, The Online Citizen

**** Stricter Service Standards, Tougher Penalties For Telcos ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Hotnews/EDC120130-0000097/Stricter-service-standards,-tougher-penalties-for-telcos>
Tan Weizhen, Today

> With effect from April, the IDA will be raising the minimum outdoor coverage that telcos must meet for outdoor spaces, new expressways and train tunnels - from the current more than 95 per cent to more than 99 per cent.

**** Unfair Discrimination Of Malays In National Service ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/01/unfair-discrimination-of-malays-in-national-service/>
Shiwen Yap, The Online Citizen

**** Some Taxis May Be Fitted With Cameras ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_760868.html>
Jennani Durai, Straits Times

> SMRT Taxis is exploring the idea of outfitting its fleet of more than 3,000 taxis with the cameras, which can record footage usable as evidence that could well protect the driver in the event of an accident.

**** 面对大型连锁超市登陆竞争 邻里商店巴刹生意跌两成 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120130_020.shtml>
沈越, 联合早报

> 大型连锁超市越开越多,影响邻里小型市场及湿巴刹的零售生意。业者称,近几年多家大型连锁超市的加入竞争后,造成他们的业绩平均减少两成。

**** SAF Seeks To Build Mental Toughness In Recruits ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_760842.html>
Jermyn Chow, Straits Times

> A programme to build mental toughness among military recruits by teaching them to talk about their emotions and think positively seems to be producing better soldiers, going by a recent study by the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF).

**** 民主必有反对声音 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl120130_007.shtml>
吕品漒, 联合早报

> 当政者理应有敏感的思维,高度的政治智慧,给于反对的声音一个适当的管径反应出来,互相商讨,以最大限制的包容去妥协并接纳不同意见,以达到对国家、对人民最有利益的平衡点。这是民主的必然风格与基本原则。

Singapore politicians are not famous for negotiating and coming to an agreement with those who have fundamentally different viewpoints.

**** No Fresh Blood In New SPP Leadership ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_760844.html>
Tessa Wong & Andrea Ong, Straits Times

> A day after six of its leaders staged a walkout, the Singapore People's Party (SPP) on Sunday elected a new central executive committee (CEC) comprising long-time party loyalists and no fresh blood.

Is it time to write off this political party?
See Also: <a href="http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120130_004.shtml">党内多次分裂 詹时中夫妇领导能力受质疑?</a> (游润恬,联合早报)

**** Free Market Failure: Isn't It Time To Consider A Different Model? ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16782131>
Graeme Maxton, BBC

> Many countries have avoided economic hardship in the past few years, not because they were lucky, but because they have a different economic philosophy.

> In Asia, where economic growth has been strongest, the state has played a much bigger role than in the US or UK, with big businesses explicitly supported by governments.

Has free market failed? Is GLCs the way to go in the future?