[MyAppleMenu] Jan 3, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jan 3 18:59:01 EST 2012

**** OS X Mail Discarding Attachments For Saved messages ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57351044-263/os-x-mail-discarding-attachments-for-saved-messages/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Not The iPad 3 Or New TV — But Apple Planning Media-Related Event In The Big(ger) Apple This Month ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20120102/not-the-ipad-3-or-new-apple-tv-but-apple-planning-media-related-event-in-the-bigger-apple-this-month/>
Kara Swisher, All Things D

> According to sources close to the situation, Apple is planning an important — but not large-scale — event to be held in New York at the end of this month that will focus on a media-related announcement.

Ms Swisher believed this is advertising (iAd?) or publishing (iBook) related, areas that Apple haven't come close to dominating despite being on the iPad.
What I wish for: one worldwide iTunes media store and one worldwide (for real) iBook store, that everyone, big guys as well as smaller independent guys, can start selling.

**** Apple Accidentally Puts “GameStore” On The App Store And Then Yanks It ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/01/02/apple-accidentally-puts-gamestore-on-the-app-store-and-then-yanks-it/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Corey Tamas, Macgasm

> The App was meant for internal testing of in-app iPhone purchases and wasn’t supposed to be on the App Store (as you could probably tell by the fact that it was yanked).

And someone has accidentally set the price of a sample app at $0.99?

**** Misconceptions About iOS Multitasking ****
<http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html>
Fraser Speirs

> Put simply: you do not have to manage background tasks on iOS. The system handles almost every case for you and well written audio, GPS, VOIP, Newsstand and accessory apps will handle the rest.

"Reboot!" is still a viable solution for crashing apps, right?

**** Even A Giant Can Learn To Run ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/business/how-samuel-palmisano-of-ibm-stayed-a-step-ahead-unboxed.html?pagewanted=all>
Steve Lohr, New York Times

> Because it has become so consistently successful, I.B.M. is almost boring. This is a company so predictable that its financial forecast is packaged as a “five-year road map,” as if it were some sort of state planning exercise.

> Yet behind I.B.M.’s relentless progress over the last decade is a game plan that has been anything but conservative. The company shed multibillion-dollar businesses. It chose higher profit margins over corporate size, and expanded aggressively overseas, seeking sales, low-cost engineering talent and quicker organizational reflexes.

**** On Modern Time ****
<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/on-modern-time/>
Espen Hammer, New York Times

> So what of all this? This yoking of our lives to clock time? Despite our increasing reliance on the mechanical measurement of time to structure our lives, many of us find some part of us resisting it. We find it confining, too rigid perhaps to suit our natural states, and long for that looser structure of the medieval village (while retaining our modern comforts and medical advances, of course).

**** O Captain! My Captain! Our Fearful Trip Is Done ****
<http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/12/those_who_opened_their_eyes.html>
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

> Choose your best friends among those who bring something to the party. It's not so easy to make new ones. As you grow older, a relentless narrowing takes place, until if you grow old long enough you're reduced to your original state when you first boarded the vessel: Those who feed and care for you.

**** PAP MPs Briefed On Ministerial Salary Report ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1174574/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> [An PAP MP] told <i>Channel NewsAsia</i> that the salary quantum proposed is "in line with market expectations".

According to <a href="https://twitter.com/#!/tocsg/status/154178188573020160">The Online Citizen</a>, Mr Gerard Ee "may hold a press conference" tomorrow. And by "press", it meant <a href="https://www.facebook.com/theonlinecitizen/posts/10150567376456383">only SPH and MediaCorp</a>.

**** Why Han Sat Down And Kept Quiet ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/why-han-sat-down-and-kept-quiet/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** Ministers Show Up Where Most Don't Expect To Find Them… Doing Their Jobs ****
<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2012/01/ministers-show-up-where-most-dont-expect-to-find-them.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
Lee Kin Mun, mrbrown

> Erm, isn't a Transport minister <i>expected</i> to go to MRT stations and ride the trains on their own?

> What's next? Minister of information actually reads a newspaper?

**** Seven-Member Team Formed To Look Into SMRT Train Disruptions ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120103-0000127/Seven-member-team-formed-to-look-into-SMRT-train-disruptions>
Today

> A seven-member team looking into last month's train disruptions is inviting members of public who were affected by the disruptions on Dec 15 and 17 to give their account of the disruptions, their observations of what went right and what went wrong, and suggestions for improvements that SMRT should make. Members of public can send their comments to the team directly at <a href="mailto:MRTInvestigation at smrt.com.sg">MRTInvestigation at smrt.com.sg</a>.

**** DNA Profiling Mistake Prompts Re-test Of Criminal Cases ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1174531/1/.html>
Sara Grosse, Channel NewsAsia

> A mistake made in a DNA profiling laboratory has resulted in some criminal cases having to be re-tested.

> HSA said however the scientific impact of the reagent is minimal. That's because the use of the reagent would not have resulted in false positives, leading to the wrongful identification of a person.

**** Prime Taxi To Raise Fares From Jan 6 ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1174524/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Prime Taxi is the latest and last cab operator to raise its fares.

This should surprise no one. All these smaller taxi companies have no choice but to follow ComforDelgro's fare structure, or they'll lose customers (taxi drivers).

**** 照顾穷人责任不该议员承担 毕丹星言论遭炮轰 ****
<http://news.omy.sg/News/Local%2BNews/Story/OMYStory201201030500-301558.html>
我报

> 读者洪盛荣在电邮中写说,选民无论投票给PAP或反对党,都希望当选的议员以照顾居民为主要的责任,包括照顾经济有困难的居民。

> “很多人其实都谅解,反对党的资源比较少,但这并不代表他们当选后就无需照顾居民。这就有如我知道你穷,我还是嫁给你,并不代表我嫁给你之后,你就不必养我,反而觉得我的娘家才有责任养我。这点,毕丹星及其他的反对党新人要搞清楚一点。”

**** Recession Looms In Singapore ****
<http://www.smh.com.au/business/world-business/recession-looms-in-singapore-20120103-1pj9a.html>
Reuters

> Citigroup's Kit said the government may choose to support the economy by helping businesses keep costs down when it unveils its budget in February.

> "But the scale of fiscal stimulus is likely to be modest, as the government may want to conserve fiscal bullets in the first year of its term, or for the contingency that the recession deepens," he said.

**** “Politicise Everything” WP” Vs “United Nation” Singapore ****
<http://sghardtruth.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/1824/>
SG Hard Truth

**** Analysis: Asia's Double-edged Currency Sword ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/02/us-asia-economy-currency-idUSTRE8010DQ20120102>
Emily Kaiser, Reuters

> Trade-dependent Singapore uses the exchange rate as its primary policy tool, and has slowed the pace of appreciation to try to support growth. But that leaves it vulnerable to imported inflation.

**** Singapore Economy Shrinks As Manufacturing Eases ****
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-03/singapore-gdp-shrinks-for-second-time-in-three-quarters-on-manufacturing.html>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

> Singapore’s economy shrank for the second time in three quarters, highlighting Asia’s vulnerability to the European debt crisis even as manufacturing strengthens in India and China.

> The contraction brings into question Asia’s resilience to a faltering global economy even as regional stocks and currencies climbed after reports showed rising purchasing managers’ indexes in China and India.

**** "Track Fault" Causes Slight Delay On East-West Line ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1174507/1/.html>
Vimita Mohandas, Channel NewsAsia

> Commuters on the west-bound train service between Clementi and Jurong may be experiencing slight delays.

Track faults were common occurrences on our MRT lines for the past few years. But I cannot recall such an article in our mainstream media ever.

**** Doubts About Fifth Public University ****
<http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20120102094419211>
Adele Yung, University World News

> Singapore's plans to establish a fifth public university may be in doubt after Minister of State for Education, Lawrence Wong, said during an end of year speech that places could instead be expanded at Singapore's existing four high-quality public research-intensive institutions.

**** Singapore's Economic Growth Slows As Manufacturing Dips ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16381688>
BBC

> The manufacturing sector is one of the key drivers of growth of Singapore's economy. However the sector has been hit hard by a combination of various factors in recent months.

> Firstly, the debt crisis in the eurozone and a sluggish recovery in the US has seen a fall in demand from those key markets.

> Secondly, the floods in Thailand in the latter half of 2011 disrupted supplies of components such as hard disk drives, hurting production at Singaporean factories.

**** Do Away With Ads On TV Screens At Train Platforms ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_751125.html>
Benedict Tan, Straits Times

> When these advertisements are flashed on the screen, the display of the estimated arrival time of the next train is temporarily taken off the screen for up to 30 seconds. For someone waiting on a crowded platform, that is a long time.

Similarly, those LED panels on buses and MRTs that announces the next stop should stop scrolling and stop flashing messages like "Please move to the rear."

**** 小众电影院的困境 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120103_007.shtml>
沈越, 联合早报

> 本地大众电影院近年来接二连三地翻新和开张,但独立的小众电影院的生存空间却不增反减,这让喜欢观看另类电影的公众少了另一选择。

I believe, in this day and age, art-house cinema is no longer the solution for bringing non-Hollywood movies to Singapore audience, nor the encouragement needed for (good) local movies to bloom.
What is needed are products like Netflix and iTunes. As <a href="http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111228/COMMENTARY/111229973">Mr Roger Ebert</a> noted recently, Netflix's viewing results shattered the myth that small-town moviegoers don't like 'art movies'
More choices without the need to look for parking or squeeze in MRTs, why has MDA failed to bring Netflix or Apple or Amazon into the local market?

**** “Lies, Damn Lies And Statistics” And Two Local Examples? ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/lies-damn-lies-and-statistics-and-two-local-examples/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** 'Sorry, Your Child Is Not Bright Enough' ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1174482/1/.html>
Tan Weizhen, Today

> As the tuition landscape here evolves - with a burgeoning market for helping children who are strong academically to become even better - the practice of some enrichment centres of holding entry tests for children as young as six has raised hackles among some parents.

**** The Real Quitters! ****
<http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2012/01/real-quitters.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

> If I were a PAP supporter in Aljunied GRC, I would be most dejected and disillusioned by the disappearance of George and his company of 'fair weather politicians'. What happens to the spirit of stand up and fight? They say, "old soldiers never die, they just fade away'. Sadly so, the Brigadier General, Minister and Mayor in Singapore are different. They simply throw in the towel after losing one round! They deserted their supporters by not sticking around and preparing for the next election in 2016. Are they wrong in abandoning ship? Are they right? I honestly don't know.

Are our politicians in it for the passion or the money? We need to find out by sharply reducing their astronomical salary.