[MyAppleMenu] Dec 13, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Dec 13 18:59:00 EST 2012

**** AppleScript Was Not Alone ****
<http://threads2.scripting.com/2012/december/applescriptWasNotAlone>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

> UserLand's Frontier scripting environment supported OSA, both as a client and a server.

**** iTunes 11 And Colors ****
<http://www.panic.com/blog/2012/12/itunes-11-and-colors/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Panic Blog

> iTunes 11 is a radical departure from previous versions and nothing illustrates this more than the new album display mode. The headlining feature of this display is the new view style that visually matches the track listing to the album’s cover art. The result is an attractive display of textual information that seamlessly integrates with the album’s artwork.

> After using iTunes for a day I wondered just how hard it would be to mimic this functionality — use a source image to create a themed image/text display.

**** Google Maps SDK For iOS And URL Scheme ****
<http://www.macstories.net/links/google-maps-sdk-for-ios-and-url-scheme/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** FCC Says Apple's iMessage And Other Services Should Allow Text-to-911 ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3760804/fcc-imessage-text-to-911-sms>
Sam Byford, The Verge

**** Foldify Unfolds In The App Store To Help You Make Amazing Papercrafts ****
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/12/foldify-unfolds-in-the-app-store-to-help-you-make-amazing-papercrafts>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Basically, Foldify lets you draw and create printouts that you can cut and fold into beautiful 3-D figures.

**** Google Launches Native Maps For iOS, And Here’s The Deep Dive On Navigation, Info Sheets And More ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/12/take-that-apple-maps/>
Drew Olanoff, TechCrunch

> "User experience was the hardest thing in making the app, and the most important. It solves a lot of use cases, and we didn’t want to add just another menu button."

**** Maps App For iPhone Steers Right ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/technology/personaltech/google-maps-app-for-iphone-goes-in-the-right-direction-review.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0>
David Pogue, New York Times

> The must-have features are all here: spoken driving directions, color-coded real-time traffic conditions, vector-based maps (smooth at any size). But the new app also offers some incredibly powerful, useful features that Apple’s app lacks.

> Street View, of course, lets you see a photograph of a place, and even “walk” down the street in any direction. Great for checking out a neighborhood before you go, scoping out the parking situation or playing “you are there” when you read a news article.

**** From iMac To MacBook ****
<http://www.macdrifter.com/2012/12/from-imac-to-macbook.html>
Macdrifter

> The pain in moving is not just packing everything up and shlepping it to a new location. The real pain is trying to make the new place feel like home.

**** Design Details Of Google Maps For iOS ****
<http://sachagreif.com/design-details-of-google-maps-for-ios/>
SachaGreif.com

> The “Google Style” of UI design is a sub-style of flat design where everything is white or very light grey, icons don’t have text labels, and typography looks like it’s been through Weight Watchers.

> I can’t say I’m a big fan of that style on the web (Google Reader looks awful in my opinion) but it works pretty well on mobile, especially for a maps app.

**** Google Maps For iPhone Arrives In Apple's App Store, Giving Alternative To Derided Apple Maps ****
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_22182124/?source=inthenews>
Jeremy C. Owens, San Jose Mercury News

> The new app will include voice-activated, turn-by-turn directions, which was previously only available on the Android version of apps, Google's mobile operating system competitor to Apple's iOS.

Also:
• <a href="http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.in/2012/12/a-new-way-to-add-google-maps-to-your.html">A new way to add Google Maps to your iOS apps</a> (Andrew Foster, Google): With the Google Maps SDK for iOS, developers can feature Google maps in their applications on the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad. Also, the SDK makes it simple to link to Google Maps for iPhone from inside your app, enabling your users to easily search and get directions.

**** 1Password 4 For iOS Offers New Interface, Favorites, More ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/12/12/1password-4-for-ios-offers-new-interface-favorites-more/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

> It's got a beautiful new look and very handy features such as favorites, a built-in tabbed browser, a brand-new setup process and even a "demo mode" for showing off to friends without presenting all of your data.

**** Find My iPhone Update Brings Direction Support ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2019720/find-my-iphone-update-brings-direction-support.html>
Dan Moren, Macworld

**** The Unlikely Persistence Of AppleScript ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2018607/the-unlikely-persistence-of-applescript.html>
John Gruber, Macworld

> AppleScript has survived and remained relevant during a turbulent decade-long transition, despite its unbeloved language syntax and technical hurdles, for the simple reason that it solves real-world problems in a way that no other OS X technology does.

You know, someone should write a follow-up article on the Unlikely Persistence of AppleScript in iTunes.

**** My Master Plan For Revolutionizing The Future Of Publishing And Saving Tablet-native Journalism ****
<http://www.marco.org/2012/12/12/the-magazine-future-of-publishing>
Marco Arment

> In the past, publications had a harder time differentiating themselves. Magazines and newspapers all needed to be the same sizes and shapes, working the same ways with the same business models and the same limitations. Today, we can all tailor our publications to our needs much more closely.

**** Yahoo Revamps Flickr iOS App With New Design, Filters ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2019748/yahoo-revamps-flickr-ios-app-with-new-design-filters.html>
Dan Moren, Macworld

**** How To Create Podcast Chapters ****