[MyAppleMenu] Aug 22, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 22 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** ReFind Makes Frequently Used Folders Easy To Find ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168228/refind_makes_frequently_used_folders_easy_to_find.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Shelly Brisbin, Macworld

> Developers, designers, audio pros, or anyone who uses a large number of folders will welcome the ability to jump directly to a frequently used folder or file from within any application. Even better—you can do so without searching, or clicking through stacks of open Finder windows.

**** A Cautionary Tale: Do Not Move Or Rename Your iCloud Folder ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/08/22/a-cautionary-tale-do-not-move-or-rename-your-icloud-folder/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

> However, if you learn nothing else today, learn this: the Mobile Documents folder is not to be trifled with. Leave it alone. Don't move or rename any files or folders you find in there. You can probably safely copy files from there, but I wouldn't do anything more than that.

**** Apple Labor Fixes In China Said Ahead Of schedule ****
<http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Apple-labor-fixes-in-China-said-ahead-of-schedule-3804876.php>
Associated Press

**** Use LaunchBar To Launch AppleScripts For iTunes ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/08/22/use-launchbar-to-launch-applescripts-for-itunes/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

**** Apple Quietly Embraces The Business To Business App Market ****
<http://www.cultofmac.com/186115/apple-quietly-embraces-the-business-to-business-app-market/>
Ryan Faas, Cult Of Mac

> Although Apple has kept fairly quiet about it, the company has developed a business to business app distribution option that leverages the existing Volume Purchase Program (VPP) for businesses.

Apple has come a long way since web apps are all we need on the phone.

**** Twitter App Makers Trying To Figure Out The Future ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168222/twitter_app_makers_trying_to_figure_out_the_future.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> After Twitter announced some tough new rules for third-party developers last week, it remains unclear precisely what those changes might mean for the future of your favorite third-party Twitter client.

**** For One Cent A Month, Amazon Glacier Stores Your Data For Centuries ****
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/for-one-cent-a-month-amazon-glacier-stores-your-data-for-centuries/>
Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica

> But retrieving data takes three to five hours, and is potentially costly.

**** Thinking In Numbers By Daniel Tammet: Review ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/scienceandnaturebookreviews/9479858/Thinking-in-Numbers-by-Daniel-Tammet-review.html>
Manjit Kumar, Telegraph

> <i>Thinking in Numbers</i> is a collection of 25 essays in which Tammet explores what he calls “the maths of life”. The book, he writes, “entertains pure possibilities”, immune to prior experience or expectation. “The fact that we have never read an endless book,” he writes, “or counted to infinity, or made contact with an extraterrestrial civilization should not prevent us from wondering: what if?”

**** Poets And Money ****
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/aug/21/poets-and-money/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Charles Simic, The New York Review Of Books

> The world is going to hell, but we poets have something to look forward to. We never got rich in the past and won’t see a dime in the future.

**** Nearly 80% Of Singapore Students Think Of Founding Their Own Business ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1221417/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** s377A Should Not Be Subject To Ministerial Assurances ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/745-s377a-should-not-be-subject-to-ministerial-assurances>
Ng Jing Song, Publichouse.sg

> In the words of the trio of judges from the Court of Appeal: “The principle of access to justice calls for nothing less.” The quasi-charitable pronouncements of non-proactive enforcement do not even nick the surface of what is at stake.

**** Heartware Vs Hardware - Let's Start With The Children ****
<http://ipscommons.sg/index.php/categories/featured/77-heartware-vs-hardware-lets-start-with-the-children>
Serene Koh, IPSCommons

**** City Harvest Church Warned Over Fund Raising For Accused ****
<http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120822-366681.html>
AsiaOne

> "The Commissioner of Charities' (COC) office had earlier issued a Restriction Order to the Board of City Harvest Church (CHC) to restrict CHC from paying the legal fees of the six accused persons and entering into transactions relating to payment of services to the suspended individuals and their related entities, without the approval of the COC."

**** Don’t Hold A Sword Over Our Heads ****
<http://berthahenson.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/dont-hold-a-sword-over-our-heads/>
Bertha Harian

> I am more perturbed that there are laws which the executive can pick and choose to chase after someone. Sure there is prosecutorial discretion – but I never heard anyone say, Don’t worry, go do your own thing. We’ll turn a blind eye, we assure you. It was in my view, the oddest parliamentary debate I have ever heard.

A law which we want to keep but "don't want to enforce" is a big joke.

**** Time To Stop Cheering And Step Up To Assist M Ravi ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/time-to-stop-cheering-and-step-up-to-assist-m-ravi/>
Andrew Loh

> Indeed, it is time to stop cheering M Ravi from the sidelines and step up and lend a hand. Fighting for our rights is not one man’s job alone.

**** Baby Talk: Let’s Get This Straight… ****
<http://kirstenhan.me/2012/08/21/baby-talk-lets-get-this-straight/>
Kirsten Han, Funny Little World

> We got many problems in this country, but my empty uterus ain’t one.

**** 没有身份的痛苦…… ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120822_008.shtml>
傅丽云, 联合早报

> 若你无法体会,问一问逃亡了21年的王成泉,看一看他这些年的心路历程,就会珍惜眼前的一切。

> 陈俊良律师(Patrick Tan LLC)昨天代被告王成泉求情时,内容无不让人动容。

**** Dr Gomez On SFD’s Dissolution ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/08/dr-gomez-on-sfds-dissolution/>
Kumaran Pillai, The Online Citizen