[MyAppleMenu] Aug 21, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 21 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** LaunchMagic Is A Well Designed App Launching Utility ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168211/launchmagic_is_a_well_designed_app_launching_utility.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Brendan Wilhide, Macworld

**** Apple Remote Desktop Software Was Vulnerable To Snooping ****
<http://www.zdnet.com/apple-remote-desktop-software-was-vulnerable-to-snooping-7000002901/>
Michael Lee, ZDNet

> Apple's Remote Desktop has been erroneously informing users that it has been encrypting data, when a bug has actually meant that the data transmitted was sent in the clear.

**** The Rise Of Third Party Services And Fall Of Google In iOS ****
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/the-rise-of-third-party-services-and-fall-of-google-in-ios/>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

**** AT&T’s FaceTime Restrictions Could Be Violating F.C.C. Rules ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/20/att-facetime-fcc/>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> Public Knowledge, a nonprofit group that focuses on Internet law, says that by prohibiting its other customers from using the video-calling feature on the network, AT&T is violating net-neutrality rules by blocking a service that potentially competes with its own.

**** Keep Stylish Shopping And To-do Lists With Lister For iPhone ****
<http://www.imore.com/stylish-shopping-todo-lists-lister-iphone>
Leanna Lofte, IMore

> Lister is stylish new list app for the iPhone. It offers a nice, clean interface for shopping and to-do lists that can be password protected on a per-list basis. You can also add pricing to shopping list items so that you can quickly see the total cost associated with each list.

**** Towards A Retina Web ****
<http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2012/08/20/towards-retina-web/>
Reda Lemeden, Smashing Magazine

**** App Developers: Stop Abusing Push! ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/19/app-developers-stop-abusing-push/>
Sarah Perez, TechCrunch

**** An Introduction To SceneKit ****
<http://iphonedevelopment.blogspot.sg/2012/08/an-introduction-to-scenekit.html>
IPhone Development

**** The 'Sealed-box' Mac: Cutting-edge Design Or Planned Obsolescence? ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230209/The_sealed_box_Mac_Cutting_edge_design_or_planned_obsolescence_>
Richard Hoffman, Computerworld

> My advice: With any sealed-unit Mac, the best bet unless your replacement cycle is short (two to three years) may be to completely max it out with the fully-loaded, most capable build-to-order configuration -- CPU, RAM and storage.

**** What Really Scares Apple's Competitors ****
<http://techpinions.com/what-really-scares-apples-competitors/8976>
Tim Bajarin, TechPinions

> It is this anticipation of what people will want in a tech product and Apple’s ability to not only see the future and then create the products people want even if they don’t know they want or need them that makes life difficult for those who compete with them.

**** From DVD To iMovie To Facebook ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168206/from_dvd_to_imovie_to_facebook.html#lsrc.rss_main>

**** Why Passwords Have Never Been Weaker—and Crackers Have Never Been Stronger ****
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/08/passwords-under-assault/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> The ancient art of password cracking has advanced further in the past five years than it did in the previous several decades combined. At the same time, the dangerous practice of password reuse has surged. The result: security provided by the average password in 2012 has never been weaker.

**** Planet Of The Apes ****
<http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/b0f049bc-e553-11e1-b758-00144feab49a.html#axzz23ssL9tLw>
Stephen Cave, Financial Times

> The gaps in our knowledge make life uncomfortable for those who are struggling to defend evolutionary theory against the dogma of creationism.

**** Under The Influence ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/books/review/my-poets-by-maureen-n-mclane.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Daisy Fried, New York Times

> Poetry changes nothing, W. H. Auden suggested. For once in his life he was wrong. Poetry changes ­everything, starting with the good behavior of anyone who reads a lot of it, as the poet-critic Maureen N. McLane discovers in her beguiling new book, “My ­Poets.”

**** Singapore Too Expensive For Indian MICE ****
<http://ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=4245>
TTG Asia

> Despite the Singapore Tourism Board’s upbeat projections about this segment’s immediate prospects, event planners and PCOs are reporting fewer numbers from India to the city state, as costs – particularly from accommodation – continue to rise.

**** Pulsing Identities: Singapore Art Museum’s Recent Art From Contemporary Asia ****
<http://businessmirror.com.ph/home/life/31572-pulsing-identities-singapore-art-museums-recent-art-from-contemporary-asia>
Tito Genova Valiente, Business Mirror

> An exhibit that puts together art pieces from different countries can naturally be a territory of competition, but the curatorship has articulated a nexus of aesthetic kinship in the collection. Other than the range of influences and responses, both colonial and post-colonial, that mediate the works in their presentation, the tapping of cultural roots, predisposed and imagined, forms the bounty of this artistic harvest.

**** Saving Tech Retailers From The 'Table Bangers' ****
<http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/saving-tech-retailers-from-the-table-bangers-62218376.htm>
Michael Tan, CNET Asia

**** Singtel To Unveil First 4G Service For Tablets ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/telecom-internet/news/singtel-unveil-first-4g-service-tablets>
Singapore Business Review

> SingTel will also be the first to bring 4G tablets to Singapore. At launch, two models will be offered: Asus Transformer Pad TF300TL and Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (LTE).

Note what this report doesn't say: The new iPad with LTE will not be supported.

**** Strong Society ****
<http://berthahenson.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/strong-society/>
Bertha Harian

> The Singapore I want to live in is underpinned first by a strong society, then a strong Government. Get the basic relationship right, and hopefully, the rest will follow.

**** S'pore's $4B IMF Loan Case To Be Heard In Chambers ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1221304/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Court Of Appeal Rules That 377A Arguably Violates The Constitution’s Equal Protection Clause ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/08/breaking-court-of-appeal-rules-that-377a-arguably-violates-the-constitutions-equal-protection-clause/>
Atticus, The Online Citizen

> Earlier today, the Court of Appeal overruled the High Court and ruled that Tan Eng Hoon, represented by M. Ravi, had the requisite standing (or, in legalese, <i>locus standi</i>) to pursue his claim that Section 377A was unconstitutional.

> The long and short of it is that so long as one’s constitutional rights are potentially violated by a law, and there is some benefit to having it resolved (i.e. the question is not purely theoretical), one would generally have the right to file a constitutional challenge.

If the government <i>truly</i> believes that not enforcing 377A is a good thing, it should refrain from defending the law.

**** The Expendable Foreign Worker ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/the-expendable-foreign-worker/>
Andrew Loh

> But most of all, employers continue their exploitative ways simply because they can get away with it. Why do you think Tay left the worker by the side of the road to die? Because he thought he could offer some lame excuse and get away with it.

Shame on us all.

**** Consultations On Cycling To Be Made: Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120821-0000115/Consultations-on-cycling-to-be-made--Muhammad-Faishal-Ibrahim>
Today

> "I will be making these consultations in the coming months. I will also build on the various cycling initiatives which have been done in the past, especially under Mr Teo Ser Luck's leadership when he was Senior Parl Sec in MOT, who had done much to promote cycling as a mode of transport. Certainly, where we can make improvements or if there are feasible ideas which can be tried out, we should certainly be prepared to have an open mind and either implement or start with some pilots."

Let's hope that he is not referring to Bukit-Brown-style of consultations.

**** No Space For Bike Lane? Really? ****
<http://lovecycling.net/?p=1244>
Love Cycling In Singapore

> All the non-artery roads with lanes more than 2.8 meter have potential to be narrow down to moderate car speed and to provide some extra space for cyclist.

**** 外媒:新加坡人对中国移民愈发不满 ****
<http://china.gansudaily.com.cn/system/2012/08/21/012690996.shtml>
新华网

> 新加坡在过去10年间增加了近百万人口,本地人的生存空间明显缩减。而媒体上关于中国移民的负面新闻层出不穷,新加坡人对中国移民的不满越发强烈。

**** The Future Of Singapore - Do Malays Have A Part? ****
<http://yoursdp.org/news/2012-08-21-5299>
Singaore Democratic Party

> Statistics show that while ethnic Chinese and Indian groups are growing, the Malay sub-population is not. In fact, the percentage of Malays in Singapore has shrunk from 15 percent in the 1970s to 13.5 percent presently.

**** Single Singapore Man Struggling To Survive In Singapore ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/single-singapore-man-struggling-to-survive-in-singapore/>
The Temasek Times

> We all try to live life within our means but many don’t live our lives just for ourselves. We are sons and fathers and husbands and we all live our live for someone whether we like it or not.

**** ‘Children Cannot Be Born Into A Culture Of Fear And Non-reconciliation’ – Singapore’s Population Dilemma ****
<http://www.theasianobserver.com/2012/08/17/children-cannot-be-born-into-a-culture-of-fear-and-non-reconciliation-singapores-population-dilemma/>
Lai Mun Loon, The Asian Observer

**** 7 Questions For The Town Council ****