[MyAppleMenu] Aug 18, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 18 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Apple, Facebook Put Prineville On The Map ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230347/Apple_Facebook_put_Prineville_on_the_map?taxonomyId=154>
Patrick Thibodeau, Computerworld

> Apple and Facebook this week each filed plans to expand data center operations in Prineville, Ore., a little community that's on its way to becoming one of the largest data center locations in U.S.

**** How To Set A Due Date For Mountain Lion Reminders ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57495293-263/how-to-set-a-due-date-for-mountain-lion-reminders/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Similar to the old due date feature, if the "remind me" option is set then the program will color the task pink to indicate its due date has arrived; however, this behavior now comes with the notification that will appear in Notification Center.

**** Google's Motorola Files New Patent Claim Against Apple ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444508504577595824047184552.html>
John Letzing, Wall Street Journal

Lawyers is the new Wall Street.

**** How I Resurrected My Digital Life After An Epic Hacking ****
<http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/mat-honan-data-recovery/all/>
Mat Honan, Wired

> My data came back to me on an external hard drive, organized by file types. The thing I cared most about, above all else, was my photo library. And there, in a folder full of JPGs, was photo after photo after photo that I had feared were gone forever. Subfolders were organized by the year, month and day files were created. I went immediately to the folder that bore the date my daughter was born. They were there. Everything was there. We were floored. I nearly cried.

Remember: backup! At least two copies locally, one copy offsite.

**** “Don’t Panic” About Tweetbot ****
<http://www.marco.org/2012/08/17/tapbots-dont-panic>
Marco Arment

> The bigger question is what the rules will be in a few months or years, and whether the clients we like will be arbitrarily cut off when Twitter’s next big initiative starts.

The rules <i>will</i> change if and when the current advertisement initiatives do not make enough money for Twitter.

**** AT&T: FaceTime Over Cellular Will Require Shared Data Plan ****
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/261070/atandt_facetime_over_cellular_will_require_shared_data_plan.html>
Jared Newman, PCWorld

> Mobile Share is a new type of wireless plan that AT&T will launch on August 23. It allows users to share a single bucket of data across multiple phones, tablets and hotspots, and includes unlimited talk and text.

Pay us more money before you can use that same piece of bandwidth.

**** A Champion Of The Book Takes To The iPad ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/17/a-champion-of-the-book-takes-to-the-ipad/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
David Streitfeld, New York Times

> Needing special equipment to read something seemed to go against everything Mr. Gass was defending in his “Defense.” In an interview, he explained how his thinking about technology had shifted over the last decade.

**** SMS Sender Spoofing Possible On iOS, What You Need To Know ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/08/17/sms-sender-spoofing-possible-on-ios-what-you-need-to-know/>
Victor Agreda, Jr, TUAW

**** Finding The Right Fit, With Technology’s Help ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/17/business/media/finding-the-best-fitting-bra-with-technologys-help.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Elizabeth Olson, New York Times

> Online retailers like HerRoom, True&Co and some stalwarts like Maidenform are trying to reinvent shopping for bras, which account for nearly half of the $14 billion annual lingerie market.

**** I Mean It ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/books/review/sincerity-by-r-jay-magill-jr.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Laura Kipnis, New York Times

> “Sincerity” is a serious and engaging cultural history painted on an admirably large canvas, yet Magill is careful not to take himself too seriously, as evidenced in his snarky asides and chatty footnotes. He wraps up on an eminently reasonable note: society needs both sincerity and insincerity. You can’t go too far in either direction: neither the frothy superficiality of court society nor the deadly purposefulness of the French Revolution. Who can argue with that?

**** Reality Is Flat. (Or Is It?) ****
<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/16/reality-is-flat-or-is-it/>
Richard Polt, New York Times

> A purely scientific outlook can not give us a full understanding of what human being truly are.

**** Singapore July Exports Rise More Than Estimated On Electronics ****
<http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-16/singapore-july-exports-rise-more-than-estimated-on-electronics>
Sharon Chen And Sarina Yoo, Bloomberg

**** 新加坡还有多少人在讲华语? ****
<http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_abc3abf2010128d2.html?tj=1>
秦墨的海外散记

> 对于新加坡,有人说过这么一句话,上个世纪新加坡的崛起不是因为英语,是因为华语,而新世纪新加坡的再次崛起,不是要靠英语,而是要靠华语的复兴。

**** The Needle: Talking Drugs In Singapore ****
<http://www.bikyamasr.com/75611/the-needle-talking-drugs-in-singapore/>
Mariam Yuan, Bikya Masr

**** Quelling the rising discontent ****
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2012/8/18/columnists/insightdownsouth/11874587&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

> In announcing his initiative for policy review, PM Lee made no mention of politics or public pressure for change. Whether it will lead to real changes that Singaporeans want to see will be crucially important for the PAP’s — and Singapore’s — future.

> “If it treats it merely as a political gimmick, it will be counter-productive come elections. I think Lee knows the danger of lifting expectations and letting them down,” said an opposition supporter.

**** How Should The Government Handle Rumours? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120818-0000044/How-should-the-Government-handle-rumours?>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

> A number of People's Action Party MPs and Cabinet ministers have been cultivating an active presence on Twitter and Facebook. A simple, by-the-way tweet or post from any of them could have stopped the rumour in its tracks. Instead, the silence fuelled the speculation.

**** Train Service On North East Line Resumes Normal Service After Repairs ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1220782/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> In a statement on Saturday, SBS Transit said engineers had worked through the night to replace the broken bolt and conducted realignment works and inspection of the overhead power cables.

**** A New And Improved Open Letter To PM Lee ****
<http://thinkformesingapore.blogspot.sg/2012/08/a-new-and-improved-open-letter-to-pm-lee.html>
Think For Me, Singapore