[MyAppleMenu] Aug 13, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 13 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** The iPhone Has Passed A Key Security Threshold ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428477/the-iphone-has-passed-a-key-security-threshold/>
Simson Garfinkel, Technology Review

> Apple's security architecture is so sturdy, and so tightly woven into its hardware and software, that it is both easy for consumers to use encryption on their phones and very difficult for someone else to steal the encrypted information.

**** With New Maps And Apps, The Case For Open Transit Gets Stronger ****
<http://radar.oreilly.com/2012/08/with-new-maps-and-apps-the-case-for-open-transit-gets-stronger.html>
Alex Howard, O'reilly Radar

> OpenPlans looks to improve transportation infrastructure with open data and open source code.

**** Mellel 3.0 Review ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/?reviewid=3375422&olo=rss>
Cliff Joseph, Macworld UK

> Mellel can be used for straightforward letters and other documents, but its main emphasis is on the creation of longer documents, with something of an academic or technical focus. The program has always included strong multi-language support, as well as cross-referencing and bookmarking features. Version 3.0 also includes a ‘live bibliography’ option that will update the end-of-document bibliography automatically as you add the relevant references to the main text of your document.

**** Beware The Allure Of Apple's Retina Displays ****
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57491723-37/beware-the-allure-of-apples-retina-displays/>
Brooke Crothers, CNET

> Apple's Retina displays are drop-dead gorgeous. But be careful what you wish for.

**** Got An Old iPod? Seven Ways To Offload Your Used Electronics For Cash ****
<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/08/got-an-old-ipod-seven-ways-to-offload-your-used-electronics-for-cash/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Another Use For $50 ****
<http://scripting.com/stories/2012/08/13/anotherUseFor50.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

> So I'd like to put an alternate idea out there.

> A microblogging server that's a simple install on EC2 or Rackspace or any other easy cloud-based server.

**** App.net Passes $500,000 Funding Goal In Quest To Do Twitter The Right Way ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/12/3237820/app-net-funding-goal-reached>
Vlad Savov, The Verge

> Dalton Caldwell's ambitious attempt at a new kind of social network has just achieved its no less daring goal of half a million US dollars in pledged funding. The requisite threshold for funding App.net was crossed some 38 hours in advance of the midnight PT deadline that its developers had set for Monday, August 13th. It took 7,372 backers to collect $500,050 of pledges, with the price of membership varying from $50 for a basic Member account to $1,000 in the Pro Tier.

**** Pixar Open Sources Production Animation Code, Patents ****
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/13/pixar_open_sources_open_subdiv/>
Smion Sharwood, The Register

**** The Withering Of The Affluent Society ****
<http://www.wilsonquarterly.com/article.cfm?AID=2199>
Robert J. Samuelson, The Wilson Quarterly

> The future of affluence is not what it used to be. Americans have long believed—it’s part of our national character—that our economic well-being will constantly increase. We see ourselves as a striving, inventive, and pragmatic people destined for higher living standards. History is a continuum of progress, from Robert Fulton’s steamboat to Henry Ford’s assembly line to Bill Gates’ software. Every generation will live better than its predecessors.

> Well, maybe not.

**** Why Capitalism Wants Us To Stay Single ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/aug/11/ewan-morrison-capitalism-single>
Ewan Morrison, The Guardian

> We like to think we're free in the free market; that we're beyond the forces of advertising and social manipulation by market forces. But there is a new social trend - the rise of 'the single person' as model consumer - that presents us with a paradox. What we once thought of as radical - staying single - may now be reactionary.

**** Home Today, Gone Tomorrow ****
<http://blog.propertyguru.com.sg/7586/home-today-gone-tomorrow.html>
Cheryl Tay, PropertyGuru.com

> In a country publicly defined by wealth and GDP, a good number of people have only the streets to call home.

**** 50-Year Housing Loans Unlikely To Impact Public Housing Market: Khaw Boon Wan ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1219889/1/.html>
Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Khaw added that while some borrowers may be attracted by the lower monthly instalments, the ministry does not expect 50-year housing loans to be popular.

**** Mr Shanmugam, Ms Sylvia Lim Debate Woffles Wu's Case ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1219898/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> Ms Lim said: "All of us know that the public is concerned with this case. I did not make any allegations that the AG's Chambers has acted mala fedi in any way. I am just asking whether that statement issued by the AG's Chambers has addressed public concerns. Unless the Minister said there is no public concerns on this matter, which I would be very surprised to hear. I just want the Minister to confirm whether he is questioning my motive on filing the question. Is he alleging bad faith on my part to cast aspersions on the legal system?"

> Mr Shanmugam said: "I am certainly casting no motive on Ms Lim. What I was saying - it would be helpful in the context of statements that Ms Lim and others have made in the past, that we can actually in this House debate issues, look at issues without having to inject politics into it."

**** Govt To Tighten Rules On Its Tender Processes ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1219856/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

> For procurements where only a single bid is received, the Ministry of Finance (MOF) will require officers responsible to provide additional justifications to the approving authority within each agency.

> The minimum tender period for suppliers to submit bids for quotations of government contracts of between S$3,000 and S$70,000 in value will also be extended. The current period is four days. This will be extended to seven working days.

**** 21 Govt Bodies Found To Have Lapses In Managing Public Funds ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1219872/1/.html>
Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

> The report, spread over 100-odd pages, said improvements can be made in several areas.

> These include internal controls, payment administration, contract management for work or services, and scrutiny by approving authorities.

**** What Lessons Can The Media Literacy Council Learn From Singapore Abysmal Birthrates? ****
<http://dotseng.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/what-lessons-can-the-media-literacy-council-learn-from-singapore-abysmal-birthrates/>
Dotseng

**** 新加坡的移民政策作茧自缚 ****
<http://www.ftchinese.com/story/001045979>
Financial Times 中文网

> 新加坡520多万人口里,只有200多万才是长期居住和在新加坡出生的公民,这好比每名年轻男性公民得保护防卫5个外国居民,4个公民。这样的国民服役还有意思吗?

> 我很怀疑,这样的政策还能玩多久?新加坡真的是属于新加(人)的坡。

**** 国民教育与新加坡 ****
<http://column.etnet.com.cn/column-list-EtnetcolB200/14334.htm>
雷鼎鸣, 经济通

> 香港若像新加坡一样,有27%的人口是非本地居民,而且是熟悉大陆的精英,也许香港就没有需要搞什么国民教育,有这批人支撑着,香港经济会有多十来年的好景。不过,也许非本地居民会当经理,不懂国情的土生港人则慢慢地变成打杂,港人怎会愿意见到如此的结局?

**** National Dialogue Is Going To Be Another Empty Exercise ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/national-dialogue-is-going-to-be-another-empty-exercise/>
Jack Lam, The Temasek Times

> GCT started the slide and LHL has accelerated the slide down the slope.

**** SBS Transit Profit Down 53.4% To $4.6M ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/transport-logistics/news/sbs-transit-profit-down-534-46m>
Singapore Business Review

**** Don't Forget Aim Of Offering Affordable Public Housing ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/dont-forget-aim-offering-affordable-public-housing>
Edwin Lim, Straits Times

> To arrest escalating resale flat prices, the HDB should start maintaining prices at a steady level and return to its original mission of providing affordable public housing.

Turning HDB flats into investments and election carrots is one of most horrible decisions made by the PAP government.

**** Luring Back The Singapore Stork ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/733-luring-back-the-singapore-stork>
Elaine Ee, Publichouse.sg

> For our birthrate to go up, Singapore must be a place where people want to have babies and raise families. And right now it just isn’t.

**** Freedom From The Press Reviewed In Toc ****
<http://journalism.sg/2012/08/13/freedom-from-the-press-reviewed-in-toc/>
Cherian George, Journalism.sg

> It could just be that Chan is intent on proving that he has a more radical, critical take on Singapore media and politics than I do. I have absolutely no doubt that he does. But I would have learnt more from his review if he had worked harder to show it.

**** The High Price Of University Education In Singapore ****
<http://mamalim.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/the-high-price-of-university-education-in-singapore/>
Building An Ark In Singapore

> Isn’t it ironic that on the front page of the same newspapers, headlines shout out, “Get married, have babies” and then you flip through the pages and read an article like this which scare potential parents from even thinking of having babies.

**** The Heavy Price Of Being A Citizen ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2012/08/the-heavy-price-of-being-citizen.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+MySingaporeNews+(My+Singapore+News)>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> If Muhammed is not found, a family would have lost their beloved son for good, in the service of the country, paying the ultimate price even in peace. All the hopes and aspirations of a family will turn into a just sad memory, plus a few consoling words, and to bear the pain alone for the rest of their lives.

**** The New Social Ethos ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/08/the-new-social-ethos.html>
Singapore Notes

**** COE & "Sin Tax" ****
<http://eviltwininsingapore.blogspot.sg/2012/08/coe-sin-tax.html>
Eviltwin In Singapore

> As an example, ERP and parking fees in the city and during the week should be far higher which will change the mindset and ensure more people use the excellent public transport. This will ensure that COE's remain "affordable" allowing the ordinary citizen to at least own a vehicle and use it for the family on weekends when traffic is not such an issue.

No matter how we tweak, we need to realise that, so long as our goal is to keep the road clear of jams, the total cost of private car usage is going to be high.

**** Singapore Food Crisis ****
<http://asingaporeanson.blogspot.sg/2012/08/singapore-food-crisis.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ASingaporeanInAustralia+(A+Singaporean+In+Australia)>
A Singaporean In Austrlia

> From the 1980s when most of our agricultural land made way for industralisation, we had 3 decades to come out with measures to protect ourselves from the food crisis we would have comfortably deal with today. Our investment juggernaut Temasek Holdings, chose to buy toy trains and buses instead of securing sustainable food producing initiatives for our national interests. Other than buying up shares of food producing companies, we could send at least send a battalion of Singaporean farmers overseas, provide them with farm land lease assistance and secure food supply contracts in a win-win arrangement. Oh wait, do we still have Singaporeans who know how to farm?

**** Book Review – Freedom From The Press By Cherian George ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/08/book-review-freedom-from-the-press-by-cherian-george/>
Vernon Chan, The Online Citizen

**** Inflation: Why The Misleading Picture, Minister & Media? ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/inflation-why-the-misleading-picture-minister-media/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

> So said minister is downplaying the effect of drought in the US on food prices. And our media is not questioning him. And they all are wrong to downplay the rise in retail prices.

**** The Citizen And The State ****
<http://benjamincheah.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/the-citizen-and-the-state/>
Benjamin Cheah

> To be a member of a group, you must be willing and able to support it — or it won’t be able to support you. Being a citizen of a state, therefore, carries with it the duty of supporting the state to meet the needs of the nation. ‘Nation’, meaning the citizen and the state.

Previous:
• <a href="http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/why-i-oppose-the-national-pledge/"> Why I Oppose The National Pledge</a> (Alex Au, Yawning Bread)