[MyAppleMenu] Aug 5, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 5 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2012/08/05/article01/>

**** AirDrop Any File From Quick Look In OS X Mountain Lion ****
<http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/04/airdrop-file-from-quick-look-os-x/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29>
OS X Daily

**** Auto Crrect Ths! ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/opinion/sunday/auto-correct-this.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
James Gleick, New York Times

> Who’s the boss of our fingers?

**** Passwords, Backups And A False Sense Of Security ****
<http://blog.julieng.me/post/28699002154/passwords-backups-and-a-false-sense-of-security>
Julie Ng

> As Mat’s case demonstrated, we’re often only as safe and secure as our passwords.

**** OS X Mountain Lion: Data Loss Via 'Save As' ****
<http://macperformanceguide.com/MountainLion-SaveAs-data-destruction.html>
Mac Performance Guide

Embrace the new model of document management with Saves, Duplicates, and Reverts. Don't use Save As. Once you get used it, life will be better.

**** Simple Passphrase Conundrum ****
<http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/2713/simple-passphrase-conundrum>
Daniel Jalkut, Red Sweater

> Culturally and technologically, we have certainly come a long way from plain-text passphrases stored in a file, but it’s clear there is a lot more to be done. In the mean time, I’ll just be here fumbling with my phone every other minute, cursing Apple as I bask in a moderate sense of security for having jumped through all these hoops.

**** Letting The Cloud Watch Over The Farm ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/business/farm-software-tries-to-make-its-mark-digital-domain.html?_r=1&ref=technology>
Randall Stross, New York Times

> The world doesn’t necessarily need the gazillion-and-one games that seem available on smartphones. But it could use more apps and services that address the needs of business people with specialized needs. Like farmers.

**** The Influencing Machine By Brooke Gladstone And Josh Neufeld – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/05/influencing-machine-gladstone-neufeld-review>
Rachel Cooke, The Observer

> Gladstone would rather nudge than shout, drop hints than scrawl bullet points on a whiteboard. Even better, she puts the 21st-century media cleverly into context, cramming her book both with history (she takes the story of the press right back to ancient Rome, when Julius Caesar decreed that the activities of the Senate be posted on a handwritten sheet) and the latest scientific research (her analysis of the "Is the internet destroying our capacity to concentrate?" debate is compelling).

**** Where Did My Katong Go? ****
<http://www.gingerbreadmum.com/2012/08/where-did-my-katong-go_5.html>
The GInerbread Mum

> Katong. Or Singapore 1542 as I remember it. It's funny cos there isn't a Katong Road or Katong Street. I don't quite know where it starts or ends; I just know that those anyone who's lived there is darn proud of the fact, as I am.

**** Tan Chuan-Jin Talks About Singapore's Social Safety Net ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1218112/1/.html>
Qiuyi Tan, Channel NewsAsia

> Acting manpower minister Tan Chuan-Jin said there are many assistance schemes in Singapore's social safety net, but it may be more important to catch people before they fall.

**** Minister Khaw Boon Wan Convinced Foldable Bikes Are Warranted ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1218107/1/.html>
Claire Huang, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Khaw said it's the right call to buy foldable bicycles but how it's acquired is a different story.

**** 中国与新加坡的十大差距,看了汗颜 ****
<http://overseas.cn.yahoo.com/ypen/20120805/1226912.html>
雅虎

> 新加坡还是要继续学习西方的,因为西方有几百年的成功经验,如美国的创造力,欧洲的福利系统,等等,这也是我为什么要继续漂泊去美国的原因。但是做为一个从60年代末期才起步的多元种族国家,比起东南亚那么多独立的国家,应该还是比较成功的,而且其成功不全是偶然的,而且老百姓切切实实得得到了实惠。我们要学习的当然是它成功的方面。每年都有大批中国高官到新加坡本地大学培训,中国政府花了这么多钱送他们出国,我希望它们正在看到“真正”的差距,而不是仅仅停留在“不允许吃口香糖”“罚款”“鞭刑”“儒家文化”“宗乡会馆”“新加坡人勤劳勇敢”这些表层的东西。

It's not all bad news in Singapore. But, that doesn't mean we can't do better.

**** Singapore Model Of Governance - Will Sri Lankan Like It? ****
<http://www.srilankaguardian.org/2012/08/singapore-model-of-governance-will-sri.html>
N.S.Venkataraman, Sri Lankan Guardian

> Some countries like Sri Lanka and India would do well with little less freedom and more stringent and quick punishment for offenders , that may enable more orderly growth.

> Will Sri Lankans desire to sacrifice the so called freedom to some extent to gain better growth and affluence ?

**** MND Minister Khaw Advises S'poreans To Buy Houses Within Their Means ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1218082/1/.html>
Claire Huang, Channel NewsAsia