[MyAppleMenu] Apr 7, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 7 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Screen Burn-in And Apple’s Billions ****
<http://thecarton.net/2012/04/06/burn-in-and-billions>
The Carton

**** Inside Apple HQ ****
<http://www.applegazette.com/feature/inside-apple-hq/>
Robin Parrish, Apple Gazette

> Search the web for “Apple HQ,” and most of the results you get will be pictures of Apple’s Cupertino headquarters — from the outside. Usually with some fanboy standing next to the “1 Infinite Loop” sign. But what we really want to see is what’s inside ultra-top-secret place where all our favorite gizmos are dreamed up.

**** Half-million Mac Infection Estimate Backed By New Analysis ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/04/new-analysis-backs-half-million-mac-infection-estimate.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> A second security firm took a shot at estimating how many Macs are infected by the Flashback malware and it arrived at the same conclusion as the first—more than half a million machines. That figure, documented in a Kaspersky Lab blog post published on Friday, would mean Flashback has infected slightly more than 1 percent of the 45 million Macs in existence.

**** How To Check For—and Get Rid Of—a Mac Flashback Infection ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/04/how-to-check-forand-get-rid-ofa-mac-flashback-infection.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Also:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.macworld.com/article/1166254/what_you_need_to_know_about_the_flashback_trojan.html#lsrc.rss_main">What You Need To Know About The Flashback Trojan</a> (Rich Mogull, Macworld).</li>
<li><a href="http://yourmaclifeshow.com/inthenews/2012/04/06/interview-rich-mogull-discussing-flashback-trojan">Interview With Rich Mogull Discussing The Flashback Trojan</a> (Your Mac Life). (Audio)</li>
</ul>

**** Apple Interested In Wireless Power To Charge Devices On Store Shelves ****
<http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/05/apple_interested_in_wireless_power_for_charging_devices_on_store_shelves.html>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

**** 25 Years Of IBM’s OS/2: The Strange Days And Surprising Afterlife Of A Legendary Operating System ****
<http://techland.time.com/2012/04/02/25-years-of-ibms-os2-the-birth-death-and-afterlife-of-a-legendary-operating-system/>
Harry McCracken, Time

> While OS/2 never truly caught on, it’s also never gone away. Even if you believe that you never saw it in action, there’s a decent chance that you unwittingly encounter it occasionally.

**** Inventing The Future ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/books/review/the-idea-factory-by-jon-gertner.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Walter Isaacson, New York Times

> But more important, “The Idea Factory” explores one of the most critical issues of our time: What causes innovation? Why does it happen, and how might we nurture it? The lesson of Bell Labs is that most feats of sustained innovation cannot and do not occur in an iconic garage or the workshop of an ingenious inventor. They occur when people of diverse talents and mind-sets and expertise are brought together, preferably in close physical proximity where they can have frequent meetings and serendipitous encounters.

**** Fan Mail ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/books/review/fan-mail.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jonathan Lethem, New York Times

> Thomas Berger and I have never met. Yet I also count Thomas Berger, a veteran of World War II and the (insufficiently) celebrated author of 23 novels, among my best friends on this earth. Can this possibly be true? And if so, might it be pathetic, something better kept to myself? My question has some general currency, since lately some of us befriend, or “friend,” whole armies of discorporate beings. Yet long before virtuality made this gesture prosaic and compulsive, readers were in the habit of making disembodied friendships with authors. I mean, of course, in the sense that Holden Caulfield, after reading a book, expressed the wish to call its author on the telephone.

**** Repeat After Me ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/books/review/language-the-cultural-tool-by-daniel-l-everett.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
John McWhorter, New York Times

> It is the Chomskyan take on language that Daniel L. Everett, a linguist best known for his work in the Amazon among the Pirahã, challenges in “Language: The Cultural Tool.”

**** Qingming At Bukit Brown ****
<http://mymindisrojak.blogspot.com/2012/04/qingming-at-bukit-brown.html>
Rojak Librarian

**** If Only Money Grew On Trees In Bukit Brown ****
<http://theneoearth.com/blog/2012/04/if-only-money-grew-on-trees-in-bukit-brown/>
The Neo Earth

> So yes, go ahead and remove Bukit Brown, but when you’ve done that, do not regret the ecological impact you may have failed to predict.

**** Yale-NUS: Yes, Why Should We Work With Yale? ****
<http://windinafield.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/yale-nus-yes-why-should-we-work-with-yale/>
Wind In A Field

**** Revisiting The 60s ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/04/revisiting-60s.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** Is Singapore Really So Civilized? New Indonesian Maid Policies Make Me Wonder. ****
<http://bloggerswithoutborders.com/2012/04/07/is-singapore-really-so-civilized-new-indonesian-maid-policies-make-me-wonder/>
Blogger Without Borders

> When you see with which disregard the maids of Singapore are treated, one can wonder, can this really be called a civilized nation? Isn’t a part of civilization also the recognition of a certain sense of basic human decency. Yes, the streets are clean, the malls are abundant and the public transport is well-organized, but is that enough to be called a civilized nation?

**** Substandard Journalistic Reporting At Today Newspaper ****
<http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=14566>
The Kent Ridge Common

**** Singapore Sling And Toast ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303302504577327811385023408.html>
Kimberly Chou, Wall Street Journal

> That restaurant, Masak (which means "to cook") in the East Village, serves a mix of Singaporean and Western dishes for brunch.

**** No Show As Equipment For Ballet Performance Returned To S'pore ****
<http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120407-338133.html>
P. Aruna, The Star

> Later, he clarified that KLPac had only sent the application to the ministry's Central Agency for Application for Filming and Performance by Fo-reign Artistes (Puspal) on Thursday.

> But KLPac executive producer and co-founder Datuk Faridah Merican said the required documentation had been submitted personally by KLPac production manager Freddy Tan on March 7.

**** 新加坡濒临拆迁的老坟场 ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/world/2012/04/120406_singapore_bukit_brown.shtml>
林淑云, BBC

**** Social Network For Teachers, Students A Hit ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_786217.html>
Lin Zhaowei, Straits Times

> A social network allowing students to submit assignments and contribute to class discussions has proven a big hit.

**** New Hawker Centres Should Target Low-income Earners ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_785976.html>
Ivan Lim, Straits Times

> There should be no bidding for hawker stalls as such a practice is likely to increase prices.

Unless the government plays a very active hands-on role in managing hawker centers, the era of low-priced cooked food is probably over in Singapore.
Definitely, if the government out-sourced the management of hawker centers to single operators (such as NTUC FoodFare), you can definitely guarantee prices will not be low. Wasn't there a report of a food court operator cutting off a stall's electricity when the stall started lowering the price of chicken rice?

**** This Foreigner Sees Another Side Of Singapore ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120407-0000030/This-foreigner-sees-another-side-of-Singapore>
Gordon Reid, Today

> I saw Singapore from a different perspective. It was a wonderful experience, yet I was saddened that I hardly saw anyone, especially children, in the outdoors.

**** My Observations At Ikea & A Longing For Old Singapore ****
<http://www.whiteasmilk.com/2012/04/06/my-observations-at-ikea-a-longing-for-old-singapore/>
White As Milk

**** DPM Tharman: We Took Incumbency Too Much For Granted And Were Bit Too In-your-face ****