[MyAppleMenu] Nov 11, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 11 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Evri For iPad Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=3316129&olo=rss>
Nicola Morrison, Macworld

**** Share Reminders With iCloud, Add Them With Siri <http://www.macworld.com/article/163482/2011/11/share_reminders_with_icloud_add_them_with_siri.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Among the app’s best features are its ability to sync to-do lists and share them with other users via iCloud and its tight integration with Siri on the iPhone 4S.

**** Using iCloud With iWork For iOS <http://www.macworld.com/article/163459/2011/11/using_icloud_with_iwork_for_ios.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Dragon Express Offers Lion Users Lower-cost Speech-to-text <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/11/dragon-express-offers-lion-users-lower-cost-speech-to-text.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

Nuance released on Thursday a new speech-to-text app for Mac users called Dragon Express. The pared-down app features the same speech recognition engine as its full-featured, $199 cousin Dragon Dictate, but at a much lower price.

**** Apple Releases iOS 5.0.1 <http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/11/10/apple-releases-ios-5-0-1/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

According to Apple, the update fixes bugs affecting battery life; adds Multitasking Gestures for original iPad; resolves bugs with Documents in the Cloud; and improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation.

**** Apple’s AssistiveTouch Helps The Disabled Use A Smartphone <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/apples-assistivetouch-helps-the-disabled-use-a-smartphone/>
David Pogue, New York Times

I doubt that people with severe motor control challenges represent a financially significant number of the iPhone’s millions of customers. But somebody at Apple took them seriously enough to write a complete, elegant and thoughtful feature that takes down most of the barriers to using an app phone.

I, for one, am impressed.

**** iPhone 4S Is A Convincing Upgrade - Just Ask Siri <http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/8735168-452/review-iphone-4s-is-a-convincing-upgrade-just-ask-siri.html>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

**** Hands On With iOS Over-the-air Updates <http://www.macworld.com/article/163526/2011/11/hands_on_with_ios_over_the_air_updates.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Thursday’s release of iOS 5.0.1 marked the first time that public upgrades to the operating system that powers the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch can be installed directly on those devices, without requiring a visit to iTunes.

**** Apple's Charitable Matching Program Raises $2.6M For Nonprofits <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/10/apples_charitable_matching_program_raises_2_6m_for_nonprofits.html>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

The combined efforts of both Apple and its employees have resulted in more than $2.6 million being donated to nonprofit organizations since a corporate matching program began in mid-September.

**** Over-the-air Updating Of iOS 5 <http://speirs.org/blog/2011/11/10/over-the-air-updating-of-ios-5.html>
Fraser Speirs

Firstly, there's a big win in the fact that the OTA update is also a delta update - meaning that only the changes from the previous version are downloaded, not the whole operating system. Where iOS 5.0.0 was over 700MB, my iPad only downloaded a package of about 40MB in order to update to iOS 5.0.1.

The next best thing about OTA updates is that they can be done unattended. They won't be installed automatically, but once you go into Settings > General > Software Update and hit "Download and Install", you don't have to touch the device again.

**** Amazon Updates, Sunsets Stanza App <http://www.macworld.com/article/163524/2011/11/amazon_updates_sunsets_stanza_app.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

The company’s customer service team told one Macworld reader via email that after releasing this update, “we will no longer be updating or supporting Stanza…"

**** Apple Updates Digital Camera Raw For 11 Cameras <http://www.macworld.com/article/163533/2011/11/apple_updates_digital_camera_raw_for_11_cameras.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Alexandra Chang, Macworld

**** Twelve South PlugBug: Hands-on Review <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/10/twelve-south-plugbug-hands-on-review/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** Apple Releases MacBook Pro Firmware Update To Fix Unexpected Shutdown Issue <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/10/apple-releases-macbook-pro-firmware-update-to-fix-unexpected-shutdown-issue/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

The update fixes an issue where the machine would shut off unexpectedly under heavy processor load, even when plugged in.

**** Apple Releases AirPort Base Station And Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.6 <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/10/apple-releases-airport-base-station-and-time-capsule-firmware-update-7-6/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

**** Bare Bones Software BBEdit 10.1 Is A Robust And Full-featured Text Editor <http://www.macworld.com/article/163399/2011/11/bare_bones_software_bbedit_10_1_is_a_robust_and_full_featured_text_editor.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Tom Negrino, Macworld

When you already have one of—if not the—most robust and full-featured text editors available, what does a company do for an encore? Bare Bones Software chose, with BBEdit 10, to create a new version designed to make BBEdit easier to use and more accessible for existing users.

**** Apple Now Taking Orders For Unlocked, Contract-free iPhone 4S <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/11/apple_now_taking_orders_for_unlocked_contract_free_iphone_4s.html>
AppleInsider

**** Oops: A History <http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2011/11/rick_perry_s_oops_why_do_people_say_oops_.html>
Forrest Wickman, Slate

When did we come up with a word for making mistakes?

**** Orphans <http://fray.com/issue3/orphans.html>
Steve Silberman, Fray

My father survived four more days. This was awkward, though it seems terrible to say so, because we had already scheduled a celebration of his life at his college for the following Monday. But my dad was always a punctual man.

**** What Purpose Do Government Parliamentary Commmittees Serve? <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/purpose-parliamentary-commmittees-serve-080011371.html>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

**** Then And Now – Queenstown Library <http://goodmorningyesterday.blogspot.com/2011/11/then-and-now-queenstown-library.html>
Lam Chun See, Good Morning Yesterday

**** Hit The Nail On The Head On Why Our Birth Rate Is Decreasing! <http://chantc.blogspot.com/2011/11/hit-nail-on-head-on-why-our-birth-rate.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FZbxP+%28My+Little+Corner%29>
My Little Corner

**** NMPs Reflect Desire For Diversity <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111111-0000047/NMPs-reflect-desire-for-diversity>
Wilson Ang, Today

In any case, as long as the role and ambit of the NMPs are clear, they should be allowed to prove their worth in Parliament.

**** Smaller Flats Do Not Compromise On Quality Of Life <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/11/smaller-flats-do-not-compromise-on.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

The thing is that why are we squeezing our people into smaller spaces. Or is it to make room for more foreigners, for 10m population?

**** Singapore PM: Economy Is Visibly Slowing Down <http://www.cnbc.com/id/45219441>
Ansuya Harjani, CNBC

Singapore’s economy is visibly slowing down and will continue to do so into the first half of 2012, as global economic conditions get tough, prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said Wednesday.

“The more you tighten the inflow, the slower growth is going to be and that’s something Singaporeans will have to understand,” he added.

**** A Question Of Heritage, What's Worth Saving In Singapore? <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/visit/question-heritage-what’s-worth-saving-singapore-767851>
Elaine Ee, CNNGo

“We basically want to conserve as much of the site as possible,” says Tham “because a single building really does not heritage make. Heritage is also the environment and the setting. And we are arguing for change of use because conservation has to be viable for everybody.”

“Having a single building within a residential complex serves no public purpose. Singaporeans and people from overseas need to be able to appreciate that built heritage, and see what Singapore used to be.”

**** Quality Of Living “Not Lowered” Despite Smaller Flats. Really? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/quality-of-living-not-lowered-despite-smaller-flats-really/>
Wei Wen, The Online Citizen

Everyone can see that newer flats are being built closer together, with less space between them, so much so that you can actually peer into the neighbour’s room and have a conversation with a neighbour from the opposite flat. Walls are also thinner for the new flats, and it gets so bad that I could hear the neighbours having an arguement when I was in my friend’s house which was a recently completed BTO project, and they weren’t even shouting.