[MyAppleMenu] May 29, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 29 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Day-to-day With The 11-inch MacBook Air And The iPad 2 <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20067074-64.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Brooke Crothers, CNET

The iPad trumps the Air in a surprising number of cases, which goes to show that a little extra convenience, i.e., a little less weight and a little more instant accessibility, can go a long way, because the Air is no slouch in either of those areas.

**** iA Writer <http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2011/05/29/ia_writer/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IgnoreTheCode+%28ignore+the+code%29>
Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

I don’t like Focus Mode, and some of the design decisions that were probably made as a result of having Focus Mode. But I do really like how the application looks and feels, and I completely love its Markdown implementation.

**** Think Kylie Is A Singer? If So, You're No Snoot <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/may/29/english-language-evolve-snoot-mccrum?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Robert McCrum, The Guardian

For as long as there has been a recognisable language, the colour, texture and everyday use of English has inspired the kind of devotion that lies north of obsession but south of idolatry.

**** Zainul Abidin Will Not Run For President <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/Singaporeinbrief/EDC110529-0000024/Zainul-Abidin-will-not-run-for-President>
Today

**** I Have Loved And Lived <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110529-0000010/I-have-loved-and-lived>
Crispina Robert, Today

Despite these shifts in the political landscape, she has some niggling worries about the long-term outcome.

"There are many sound things about the Singapore system - meritocracy, the emphasis on hard work and discipline - don't throw these away! I am very scared now on behalf of the administration, the expectations are so high, poor thing ... give them time for goodness' sake. Sometimes a problem can only be solved incrementally,'' she says seriously.

**** No Updates From Police On Tin Pei Ling’s Case After Two Weeks <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/05/27/no-updates-from-police-on-tin-pei-lings-case-after-two-weeks/>
The Temasek Review

**** The Presidential Elections <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/presidential-elections.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

It is important to have a truly independent President. A free spirit, if you want to call it that. A President who didn't receive any favours from the PAP, and who doesn't feel obliged to return any.

**** Picking Up Where Ong Teng Cheong Left Off <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/picking-up-where-ong-teng-cheong-left-off/>
Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

In a culture where it is natural for any backbencher not to criticise the policies of their bosses aggressively (perhaps with an eye on the front bench and their own career path), Dr Tan is a rarity. His ears are on the ground, he is intellectual, he speaks his mind and he has won the respect of many Singaporeans.

**** NSP’s Nicole Seah On Politics And Life After GE <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/nsp-nicole-seah-politics-life-ge-161224182.html>
Fann Sim, Yahoo!

**** MICA Minister Yaacob Outlines Priority Areas In His New Ministry <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1131880/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

"There is a lot of push to bring arts down to the community level and this is something we need to continue to do to ensure that everyone appreciates the arts and understands what it is."

**** PM Lee Addresses PAP Criticisms <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1131908/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** MPs: No Conflict Of Interest ... <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110530-0000008/MPs--No-conflict-of-interest-,,,>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

To National University of Singapore business school associate professor Mak Yuen Teen, the first issue to establish is how the GMs of town councils are appointed. "Are they appointed after the facilities management company has been selected? If so, there would not be a conflict in terms of someone being put in a position to recommend or award a contract to his own firm," he said.

**** S'poreans Might Prefer A President 'Not So Closely Related' To PAP: Lim Boon Heng <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110530-0000061/Sporeans-might-prefer-a-President-not-so-closely-related-to-PAP--Lim-Boon-Heng>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

**** Supply Of Rental Flats To Increase <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110530-0000059/Supply-of-rental-flats-to-increase>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

Even as national development minister Khaw Boon Wan announced yesterday that "tens of thousands" of rental flats will be built to ease the pent-up demand, Members of Parliament (MPs) reiterated the perennial call for the eligibility criteria for the Public Rental Scheme to be relaxed.