[MyAppleMenu] May 27, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 27 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** iBooks Vs. Kindle Vs. Google Books For iPad Reading <http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/05/ibooks-vs-kindle-vs-google-books-for-ipad-reading/239510/>
Alexis Madrigal, The Atlantic

It turns out that I don't really care who got the book online or what reader I'm in -- availability is, by far, my number concern. This feels tenable for now, though I can imagine it getting out of control after a few more years of reading online.

**** Lawsuit Accuses Broadway Apple Store Employees Of Racial Discrimination <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/25/lawsuit_accuses_broadway_apple_store_employees_of_racial_discrimination.html>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

Apple is the target of a new lawsuit that claims employees of the company's Upper West Side store in New York City told two black men they were not welcome there.

**** How To Create An OS X Flash Drive Installer <http://www.macworld.com/article/160124/2011/05/osxflashdrive.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Mauricio Grijalva, Macworld

Instead of using the system installer disc that came with your Mac, create a system installer flash drive, like the one that comes with the MacBook Air. It's smaller than an optical disc, more reliable, and runs faster.

**** Is The Signature Dish Outdated? <http://www.salon.com/food/feature/2011/05/26/jason_franey_duck/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+salon-food+%28Salon%3A+Food%29>
Francis Lam, Salon

The classics are delicious, to be sure, but isn't their unyielding presence frustrating for a chef so inspired by newness?

**** Then By Julie Myerson – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/may/27/then-by-julie-myerson-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Elizabeth Day, The Guardian

There will, I imagine, be plenty of people who avoid reading Then, her latest novel, because of a preconceived notion of the woman who wrote it. They would be wrong to do so. Then is a bold, uncompromising book written with a deftness of touch that marks out Myerson as a truly interesting and risk-taking author.

**** Losing Your Voice To Another Writer <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/may/27/voice-writer?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Sam Jordison, The Guardian

Do you also find yourself writing in the style of the book you are reading? Who has the strongest influence on you? Who can you imitate most effectively? How do you snap out of it? If you can set down your answer in the style of the authors in question, so much the better. And if anyone can do Wodehouse, well, that really would be an utter p.

**** The Man Within <http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/man-within_567605.html?nopager=1>
Saul Frampton, The Weekly Standard

Frampton tells us that Montaigne’s earliest essays were “characterized by their obsession with battle plans and tactics, arquebuses, lances and the generalissimos of old.” In them the author praises Alexander, discourses on armor, and describes the Romans’ facility with the javelin. But warfare in Montaigne’s day was changing, and the loudest chord he strikes in these pieces is of wariness and despair. Firearms and shifting, diluted codes of honor had made 16th-century battle a strikingly impersonal and unpredictable thing, and the French civil wars between Protestants and Catholics, which raged as Montaigne wrote, were especially erratic and capricious.

**** Rule Of Law - Justice And Equality <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2011/05/rule-of-law-justice-and-equality.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

All of us remember how "efficient" the police was when they reacted to the police report filed against James Gomez by the Elections Department over that "criminal intimidation" charges. This happened in 2006, right after the General Elections.

Fast forward to 2011. New electoral rules were added by the ruling party, People's Action Party (PAP). Particularly, the cooling off period ruling was implemented, initially perceived by many to give PAP the advantage. However, what we have witnessed is a series of possible breach of these rules by PAP itself.

I was a bit puzzled on the deterioration of the police's efficiency after these 5 years. Back in 2006, a speedy investigation was carried out right after GE. But now, after two weeks, there is still no news about any investigation being launched.

**** Pension Query Deserves A Transparent Answer <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_673058.html>
Timothy Sia, Straits Times

I urge Mr Tan to answer the question directly and transparently. It is important that Singaporeans understand what the current pension calculation is like, before they are able to appreciate what is to come after the review.

**** SBS Evaluating Requests Of App Developers <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_673059.html>
Tammy Tan, SBS Transit, Straits Times

**** Political Appointments Are Not Employments <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/05/political-appointments-are-not.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** 'A Presidential Contest Is Important' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110527-0000088/A-Presidential-contest-is-important>
938 Live

The 71-year-old confirmed he had quit the ruling People's Action Party earlier this month.

**** The Sandwiched Class Of PAP Bureaucracy <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/the-sandwiched-class-of-pap-bureaucracy/>
G Hui, The Online Citizen

Top leaders must devise a means of communication with their subordinates that is open and effective. Middle management must not fear preferring the needs of the citizens over inconveniences to their boss. The boss on his or her end must seek to weed out sycophantic behaviour. A good start would be to publicly castigate MPs like Lim Wee Kiak for his ignorant remarks and Tin Pei Ling for campaigning on “Cooling-off day”. That would send a message loud and clear to middle management that change is nigh – get with the programme or lose your seat as an MP.

**** Build Ahead Of Order <http://mndsingapore.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/build-ahead-of-order/>
Khaw Boon Wan, Singapore Government

Build ahead of demand, during this period of demand backlog. We can return to normal BTO approach, after we have stabilised the situation.

**** Changes In Town Councils Following General Election <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1131519/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi, Channel NewsAsia

**** Undercover Videos Released To Back Freedom For RWS Dolphins <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1131539/1/.html>
Sabrina Chan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Presidential Election: Eligibility Certificate Applications Open June 1 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1131611/1/.html>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

**** MPs Can Rent Void Deck Space To Set Up Office For MPS <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1131612/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

In an announcement, the Ministry of National Development (MND) said the rental will be at a concessionary rate, similar to that levied for non-profit, social communal uses.

The new arrangement does not apply to MPs who currently have makeshift arrangements for their MPS at void decks. MND said MPs who wish to continue holding MPS at open void decks can still do so under their own arrangements with the town council.

**** Tighter Security For Water Tanks Required <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1131614/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

National water agency PUB has released a set of measures, which building owners will have to comply with, to tighten water tank security here.

**** President Nathan Forfeits Public Service Awards To Ming Yi, Durai <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1131618/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Lim Wee Kiak Withdraws, Apologises For Remarks On Ministerial Pay <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1131623/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

In a statement on Friday, Dr Lim said dignity cannot be and must not be measured purely in monetary terms. He said a minister's pay is a sensitive issue and is one that many are concerned about.

**** Vote For An Independent-minded President <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/vote-for-an-independent-minded-president/>
Jason Lee, The Online Citizen

As the late Mr Ong said during the presidential campaign in August 1993: “I am no longer partisan and I will no longer come under the control of the party whip. So I am an independent person and my main duty, if elected as President, is to look after the interests of the nation and the people as a whole – not any sectoral interests.”

**** Rules Of Prudence For PAP MPs <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110527-0000143/Rules-of-Prudence-for-PAP-MPs>
Today

This letter was issued by the Prime Minister's Office to all PAP MPs, a copy of which was made available to the media.

**** Author Loses Appeal Against Singapore Conviction <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/27/british-author-singapore-loses-appeal?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Associated Press

"They tried to scare me into apologising," Shadrake told reporters after the ruling. "They're bullies who don't like freedom of speech."

"The prosecution of Alan Shadrake for doing nothing more than calling for legal reform is a devastating blow to free speech in Singapore," said Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director at New York-based Human Rights Watch. "More broadly, until the government releases its iron grip on basic freedoms, the Singaporean people will remain all the poorer."

**** Singaporeans Got Provide <i>Big House</i> For PM Lee <http://singstatistician.blogspot.com/2011/05/singaporeans-got-provide-big-house-for.html>
Thoughts Of A Singapore Statistician

**** How The Young And Old Vote Differently <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110527-0000154/How-the-young-and-old-vote-differently>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

Younger voters here tend to consider issues and political candidates more when it comes to casting their ballots, a survey has found. Older voters, on the other hand, view the political party and its leadership as more important.