[MyAppleMenu] Mar 28, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 28 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Importing Flip Video Into iMovie For iOS <http://www.macworld.com/article/158651/2011/03/imovieflip.html#lsrc.rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

We haven’t had any luck importing files captured from Canon DSLRs, but we have had some success with Cisco's Flip video cameras. If you have a Flip, here’s how it works.

**** Apple Sets Dates For WWDC 2011 - June 6-10 <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/28/apple-sets-dates-for-wwdc-2011-june-6-10/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

Apple announced the dates for WWDC 2011 this Monday morning. The Apple developers conference will take place from June 6 to June 10 at Moscone West in San Francisco.

As expected, Apple will "unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS" at the developers conference. Apple will also host hundreds of technical sessions and offer code-level assistance from Apple engineers.

**** Want To Be Eligible For An Apple Design Award? There Are Two App Stores For That <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/28/want-to-be-eligible-for-an-apple-design-award-there-are-two-app/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

**** "Iphigenia In Forest Hills": The Mother And The Hit Man <http://www.salon.com/books/laura_miller/2011/03/27/iphigenia_in_forest_hills/index.html>
Laura Miller, Salon

The point of a trial is to establish what "really" happened and who is truly responsible, which is one reason why courtrooms have been the setting of so many satisfying fictions. But the shooting of Daniel Malakov as he stood with his 4-year-old daughter in a playground was no fiction, and there are times when insisting that a handful of facts be made to add up to a clear chain of events and an unqualified apportioning of blame leaves us not with justice but something that looks like its opposite.

**** What I've Learned From Seamus Heaney <http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0326/1224293118137.html>
Olivia O'Leary, Irish Times

You may well ask why a journalist with no literary credentials should be writing about Seamus Heaney. There are two reasons. Firstly, the impact of his work on our national life, on the way we think about ourselves, has given him a cultural importance that poets should have but so often don’t. Secondly, I felt that impact particularly on my life and work as a journalist. And if it seems that I forget my place in making any connection between what journalists do and what poets do, let me state my case modestly.

**** Wall Of Sound <http://www.slate.com/id/2289177/?from=rss>
Nikil Saval, Slate

Two years ago, at the nadir of the financial crisis, the urban sociologist Sudhir Venkatesh wondered aloud in the New York Times why no mass protests had arisen against what was clearly a criminal coup by the banks. Where were the pitchforks, the tar, the feathers? Where, more importantly, were the crowds? Venkatesh's answer was the iPod: "In public spaces, serendipitous interaction is needed to create the 'mob mentality.' Most iPod-like devices separate citizens from one another; you can't join someone in a movement if you can't hear the participants. Congrats Mr. Jobs for impeding social change." Venkatesh's suggestion was glib, tossed off—yet it was also a rare reminder, from the quasi-left, of how urban life has been changed by recording technologies.

**** ‘Zorro’ Lim Will Count On SM Jayakumar’s Reputation To Gain Confidence (Hopefully) <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/03/28/zorro-lim-will-count-on-sm-jayakumars-reputation-to-gain-confidence/>
The Temasek Review

**** PM Lee, I Will Definitely Vote Calmly <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6472>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Well, PM Lee, when I go to the polls this year, I will certainly be very calm.

I will be calm and collected because I know that Singapore is more than the PAP, and Singapore will survive without the PAP even in the highly unlikely event that the PAP is voted out of power.

If Singaporeans remain diligent, innovative and productive, Singapore will continue to thrive and be a bustling metropolis even if the PAP fades away into oblivion.

**** The Most Lucrative Part Time Job <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/03/most-lucrative-part-time-job.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

Anyone looking for a part time job will be resigned to the fact that it comes with no job security and a paltry allowance. But this is not true in the uniquely Singapore context. The part time job of a Member of Parliament comes not only with job security for 4 years, could be a life time, and with a handsome allowance which many CEOs may not even smell.

**** GE: What Are The Hot-button Issues? <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1119199/1/.html>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

The survey, conducted earlier this month via telephone by Media Research Consultants, is statistically representative of HDB dwellers, the findings weighted by the national profile for gender, age, race and HDB housing type. The survey, however, does not cover voters living in private properties.

The result, which political watchers found the most interesting: Almost 7 in 10 voters (65.5 per cent) said that the issue of foreigners - the influx and its side effects will not affect their vote at the GE.

This finding was backed up by the fact that slightly more than half the voters (55.3 per cent) felt that the steps taken by the Government to slow down the influx of foreigners and to sharpen the differentiation between citizens and non-citizens have been "adequate" to address their concerns.

**** Why An Opposition Government Will Not Collapse <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/03/27/why-an-opposition-government-will-not-collapse/>
Gilbert HK Tan, The Temasek Review

We should not make the same mistake year in year out by putting politicians into power who have no interest of the people at all!

**** Why Do Private Patients Get Appointments Faster? <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_650023.html>
Dherry Brandon Lee, Straits Times

Why are hospitals built and maintained with taxes paid by generations of Singaporeans allowed to discriminate against citizens, many of whom qualify for subsidised medical care?

Why are they allowed to offer preferential treatment to those who can or have to pay higher rates - rich Singaporeans, foreigners and medical tourists?

**** Our Future At Stake <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/03/our-future-at-stake.html>
Singapore Notes

All we can say is that if the present slate is anything to go by, we have seen enough and the future looks pretty dim.

**** The General Elections: Are Ten (Minus One) Days Sufficient For Campaigning? <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/the-general-elections-are-ten-minus-one-days-sufficient-for-campaigning/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

Having merely nine days would be insufficient for the explanation of policies and the introduction of new faces, and would indirectly benefit the incumbent political figures.

**** PAP New Faces: Yes, Yes, Yes Minister? <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/pap-new-faces-yes-yes-yes-minister/>
Spotlight On Singapore

If all they do in Parliament is to chorus “Yes, Minister”, then my regular coffee shop assistant can outperform them with practised ease given his years of hollering “Kopi-O”!

**** ST’s Justification Of Its Liberal Editing Of Forum Opinions <http://visaisahero.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/sts-justification-of-its-liberal-editing-of-forum-opinions/>
Visaisahero

**** Samuel Wee’s Response To ST’s Explanation <http://visaisahero.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/samuel-wees-response-to-sts-explanation/>
Visaisahero

**** Can I Carry Your Full-pack, Sir? <http://military-life.blogspot.com/2011/03/can-i-carry-your-full-pack-sir.html>
Military Life: Memoirs Of A Conscript In The Lion City

I wonder why Singapore still clings on to the anarchronism that is conscription in its current form. Is it dogma or is it inertia? There is no sacred cows in policy and that includes defence policy. Considering an all volunteer system should be evaluated as conscription sees us with soldiers who have FDWs carrying their full-packs for them.

**** Chiam's GRC Bid Gets Boost From Other Parties, Backers <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_650190.html>
Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times

Opposition party members and supporters are rallying behind Potong Pasir MP Chiam See Tong to help him succeed in his bid to win Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC.

Two were present during Mr Chiam's visit to Lorong 7 Toa Payoh on Sunday morning: National Solidarity Party (NSP) organising secretary Ivan Yeo, 63; and former Workers' Party eastern committee secretary Frankie Low, 50.

**** More Rookies 'A Measure Of Opposition Progress' <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_650189.html>
Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times

Workers' Party (WP) chief Low Thia Khiang is cheered by reports that at least 40 first-time opposition candidates will contest the next election, and says it is a measure of the progress made by the opposition camp.

But he urged voters on Sunday to help cement this development by turning support into votes which ensure these candidates enter Parliament as elected MPs.

**** Big Guns' Retirement Led PAP To Name East Coast Slate Early <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_650185.html>
Zakir Hussain, Straits Times

The PAP took the unusual step of announcing its East Coast GRC line-up early because the retirement of two heavyweight MPs there was 'quite a big move', prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Sunday.

**** 林睦荃誓言要当全职议员 用津贴为选民投保 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110328_008.shtml>
林慧慧, 联合早报

新加坡民主联盟秘书长林睦荃把大竞选赌注押大:承诺要是当选榜鹅东选区议员,除了会辞去工作当全职议员之外,也会把部分议员津贴拿出来为该区所有3万3000多名选民投保个人意外险。

他说,他已经找了保险公司给他做了估算,以每个选民受保额一万元来计算,每人每月保费不到五角钱。他说,到时这笔每月1万6500元的保费账单由他埋单,一部分可利用议员津贴来支付,另外他也会找人捐助社区基金,以便垫付其余保费。

**** PAP MPs Doing Walkabout Wearing PA Shirts? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/pap-mps-doing-walkabout-wearing-pa-shirts/>
The Online Citizen

**** PAP Unveils 3 More New Faces <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_650207.html>
Straits Times

They include the first Malay-Muslim candidate and the youngest PAP candidate among the total of nine introduced so far. The trio introduced on Monday afternoon are Mr Zainal Sapari, 46, an educator; Ms Tin Pei Ling, 28, a business consultant; and Mr Gan Thiam Poh, 48, a banker with DBS.

PAP chairman Lim Boon Heng, who introduced the candidates at the PAP headquarters, said the most important quality the party looked for in new candidates was their commitment to serve the public.

**** “I Want A Decent Paying Job,” Says Yuhua Resident <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4690--i-want-a-decent-paying-job-says-yuhua-resident>
Singapore Democratic Party

Mdm Tan's case hammers home our point that lower-income Singaporeans should not have to depend on handouts and Budget goodies to survive. Instead there must be legislation that ensures the rights of Singaporean workers to be paid fair and living wages. Minimum Wage is what the Singapore Democrats promise to fight for in the next Parliament if elected.

**** Parties Reveal More Plans For General Election <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/03/28/parties-reveal-more-plans-for-general-election/>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

As election fever builds up, political parties were out in force across the island on Sunday, revealing more of their plans for the upcoming General Election.

**** Gay Couples Mess Up Tidy Little Beliefs <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/gay-couples-mess-up-tidy-little-beliefs/>
Yawning Bread

In Singapore, like many societies, there is a gap between political rhetoric that leans to conservative self-righteousness, often pandering to the most ignorant and closed-minded religionists, and the social reality wherein family and friends extend their love and recognition with little hesitation.

**** Yes To Evolution, No To Revolution? <http://de-leviathan.blogspot.com/2011/03/yes-to-evolution-no-to-revolution.html>
De Leviathan @ SG

The headlines screamed "PAP will fight for Singaporeans' future". But it seems PAP has no clear imminent answers to issues the new media is crying about - affordable housing, foreigners and cost of living issues with income stagnantion. Unless these issues are promptly addressed, the PAP is just hiding under the "Singaporeans' future" banner.

**** Election Campaigns – The Singapore Way <http://cornio1.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/election-campaigns-the-singapore-way/>
Moving On

According to newspaper reports, the average Singaporean family will receive SGD3500 from this budget, costing the country an estimated 6.6 billion SGD in total.

The last US presidential election – in comparison – cost an estimated 2.4 billion US dollars. But who needs election campaigns anyway…

**** Is Singapore The Utopian Solution <http://www.thelongestwayhome.com/blog/how-to-live-overseas/is-singapore-the-utopian-solution-to-our-future/>
The Longest Way Home

**** From The Eyes Of A TOC Volunteer Newbie <http://apill4life.blogspot.com/2011/03/from-eyes-of-toc-volunteer-newbie.html>
A Pill For Life

Unlike “armchair” or anonymous commentators, these people stand up and take action to help shape the way this country is run. Perhaps if I had been able to emulate these Singaporeans earlier, I would not have been so quick to consider greener pastures. Voting with a ballot paper really seems a lot easier than voting with your feet.