[MyAppleMenu] Mar 27, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 27 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Federal Agency Revives $1B Kodak Patent Claims Against Apple, RIM <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382644,00.asp>
David Murphy, PC Magazine

The chief judge for the U.S. International Trade Commission ruled in January that neither Apple nor RIM infringed Kodak's 2001 patent. The company challenged the finding and the full six-member commission has since stated that it plans to review the January ruling–to Kodak's delight, as the company believes it will prevail, as it has in the past, in front of the full panel.

**** Perfect Rigour: A Genius And The Mathematical Breakthrough Of The Century By Masha Gessen – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/mar/27/perfect-rigour-grigori-perelman-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Robin McKie, The Guardian

By any standards, Grigori Perelman makes a marvellous subject for a biography. Arguably the world's greatest mathematician, he worked out a solution to one of the seven great unsolved mathematical problems, the Poincaré conjecture, in 2002. It was a magnificent achievement. Honours, cash, offers of world lecture tours and lucrative teaching posts were hurled at the Russian theorist.

But Perelman turned down the lot, including the Fields medal, the mathematical world's equivalent of a Nobel prize, and a million dollars in prize money that the Clay Institute wanted to give him for his work. Since then, he has announced he has given up the study of mathematics altogether and has cut off communications with all journalists and nearly all his friends.

**** LA Confidential <http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/mar/27/los-angeles-la-california?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Anna Stothard, The Guardian

Unlock the secret world of Los Angeles and you'll discover a city full of hidden gems – including a magician's castle, a naked spa and a fictional heritage tour.

**** It's Hard To Find Food In A British Restaurant <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/simonheffer/8408157/Its-hard-to-find-food-in-a-British-restaurant.html>
Simon Heffer, The Telegraph

I like food. I eat little else. But I feel I am somewhat out of kilter with what is deemed to be the educated man’s appreciation of food in the modern world. Perhaps this is because I am not an educated man. Or, perhaps it is because the food and restaurant industries in this country are continuing to play the elaborate culinary confidence trick that began with nouvelle cuisine 25 years ago, which in my view always meant treating food as something that was not necessarily there to be eaten.

**** Lose The Hyphen <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/03/27/lose_the_hyphen/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Ideas+section>
Jan Freeman, Boston Globe

Like much language change, a shift in AP style seems to say something about who we are and what we value as a culture. That may be an illusion, but we can’t resist inventing explanations for our language preferences.

**** Singapore Has Priced Honesty Correctly <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/03/singapore-has-priced-honesty-correctly.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

It is sad if we have to pay people to keep them from becoming corrupt. It defeats the purpose of education, in schools and in religious quarters, or in families. There is no need to teach about ethics, morals and goodness. Having said this, I have to agree that pragmatism prevails. Pay and pay for good govt must be the mantra for a young country that has not developed a culture of goodness, honesty and high morals. It is all about money.

**** 我Like了刘程强 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110327_001.shtml>
李冠芳, 联合早报

但我明白,朋友的出发点是,身为媒体人,在这么公开的平台上(并且是网络)表达政治立场,是不妥也不应该的。媒体人最需要保持中立,媒体才有公信力。

**** The Party Of The Few <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/the-party-of-the-few/>
Yawning Bread

**** Singapore General Elections 2011: High Ministerial Salaries. Is PAP's Failure To Respond A Miscalculation? <http://cwfong.blogspot.com/2011/03/singapore-general-elections-2011-high.html>
Crisis Communication in the Era of Social Media

**** Michael Palmer, Hypocrite <http://theowlcritic.blogspot.com/2011/03/michael-palmer-hypocrite.html>
The Owl

**** GE: Charles Chong To Stand In Joo Chiat SMC <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1119108/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

The People's Action Party's candidate for the Joo Chiat single member seat will be veteran MP Charles Chong, who is currently an MP in the Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC. This was announced by Joo Chiat's incumbent MP Chan Soo Sen, who also announced to his activists that he would be retiring from politics.

**** What Does "Freak Election Results" Mean? <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-does-freak-election-results-mean.html>
Goh Meng Seng

**** GE: SDA Welcomes Possibility Of Three-cornered Fights <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1119113/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

The Singapore Democratic Alliance has welcomed the possibility of a three-cornered fight in the upcoming General Election. Secretary-general Desmond Lim said the SDA will stand firm in its interest to contest in Punggol East Single Member Constituency, even if the Workers' Party does the same.

**** Singapore Army's Leadership Renewal <http://kementah.blogspot.com/2011/03/singapore-armys-leadership-renewal.html>
SENANG DIRI

**** Singapore’s High Home Prices Pose Risks Ahead Of Elections <http://theedgesingapore.com/the-daily-edge/business/27633-singapores-high-home-prices-pose-risks-ahead-of-elections.html>
Reuters

With general elections likely to be called soon, soaring property prices in Singapore pose not just an economic risk but a political issue that could erode support for prime minister Lee Hsien Loong’s ruling People’s Action Party (PAP).

“The high property prices, especially for private homes, is a festering source of disappointment, unhappiness and perhaps anger among voters,” said Eugene Tan, a law lecturer at Singapore Management University.

“Parents are also concerned with how their children are going to afford comparable homes in the future. The angst and anxieties are made worse by the view that foreigners are pushing up property prices.”

**** GE: NSP Names Tampines GRC Candidates <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1119126/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

The National Solidarity Party (NSP) has named four of five candidates who will stand in the five-member Tampines Group Representation Constituency (GRC) in the upcoming General Election. Apart from the party's secretary-general Goh Meng Seng, the other three are first-time candidates.

**** SDP V PAP: The Difference <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2683--sdp-v-pap-the-difference>
Singapore Democratic Party

The direction that the ruling party is dragging us in will result in hardship and uncertainty. The signs are already present. They will worsen if Singaporeans do not put SDP into Parliament to check what the PAP is doing and to set a different course for the nation.

**** “There Will Be More Significant Things To Come”: WP’s Low <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/%E2%80%9Cthere-will-be-more-significant-things-to-come%E2%80%9D-wp%E2%80%99s-low/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

“There will be more significant things to come,” Mr Low told reporters at the impromptu media conference at Moulmein-Kallang where his party was conducting its public outreach to residents of the area. He was responding to a question about the WP’s potential star candidate, Mr Chen Show Mao, whom his party is expected to field in the elections. “I will not elaborate. In my first walkabout I told Singaporeans to watch out this election,” Mr Low says.