[MyAppleMenu] Mar 18, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Mar 18 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** How To Change Passwords In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20044353-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** iPad Case Makers: Smart Cover Won’t Kill Us <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/ipad-case-makers-smart-cover-wont-kill-us/>
Miguel Helft, New York Times

It is too early to tell whether the smart cover will be a blockbuster hit. But rival case makers say they are not worried.

**** A Closer Look At MacKeeper <http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=1577>
Zeljka Zorz, Help Net Security

MacKeeper (v1.0.3.) is a comprehensive bundle of various system utilities that will help you keep your Mac secure from malware; find it if it gets stolen; backup, restore, shred or encrypt files; clean you computer from unnecessary clutter; help you keep your applications up-to-date, and more.

**** Latest Slice Of Toast Worth Savoring <http://www.macnews.com/2011/03/17/latest-slice-toast-worth-savoring>
MacNews

When it comes to capturing, copying and converting digital media and entertainment -- and burning disks -- Roxio Toast Titanum from Rovi Corp. has long been the leader. And with the just-launched Roxio Toast 11 Titanium (US$99) for Mac this hasn't changed. I've just finished test driving the Pro version and recommend it as one of the best buys around in Mac software.

**** iOS 4.3 Users Report Subpar Battery Performance <http://www.9to5mac.com/56694/ios-4-3-users-report-subnormal-battery-performance/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

**** How To Set Up Find My iOS Device On Your iPhone And iPad <http://www.macworld.com/article/158588/2011/03/howto_fmi.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

By setting up the free Find My iPhone (or iPad, or iPod touch) service, owners of iOS devices can not only locate their misplaced gadget on a map, but also remotely lock it or wipe all of the onboard data if need be. It’s one of the iOS’s most valuable features, but it’s also one that most people don’t know about until it’s too late.

While this previously required a MobileMe subscription, Apple has recently opened the service up to owners of the most recent versions of the iPhone and iPod touch. So, if you’ve recently bought an iOS device or given one to a family member, it’s a good idea to set this feature up.

**** Go Figure <http://www.economist.com/node/18396166?story_id=18396166&fsrc=rss>
The Economist

A new class of internet start-ups is trying to turn data into money.

**** Bringing Online Conversation Back Home <http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/35133/?ref=rss&a=f>
Erica Naone, Technology Review

A startup helps publishers keep the discussion on their own sites, rather than scattered everywhere.

**** Incredible Edibles <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2011/03/21/110321crat_atlarge_lanchester?currentPage=all>
John Lanchester, New Yorker

The mad genius of “Modernist Cuisine.”

**** Little Big Words <http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/ideas/robert-lane-greene/little-big-words>
Robert Lane Greene, Intelligent Life

One way to gauge the prevalence of a word is to consult the Oxford English Corpus, a body of 2 billion words. “I” comes in tenth; “you” is 18th. They are not quite our two favourite subject pronouns: “he” is 16th (“she” is 30th). But in the world of the 21st century, “you” and “i” are two very potent little words.

**** Which Opposition Party Will Come Up Tops This Election? <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6319>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

The party that comes up tops and breaks the GRC gridlock in this election will be the party that can field the most credible slate of candidates and which has been most consistent in cultivating its ground support. WP looks quite promising in this respect.

**** During Crisis Who Stays Who Leaves... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/03/during-crisis-who-stays-who-leaves.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

Remember a few weeks ago, MM Lee said, "You must want to die for each other." Many us find it amusing that he thinks we should make the ultimate sacrifice for each other when he can't get his own ministers to accept less pay.

**** Why The President's Salary Is Pegged Higher <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_646307.html>
Chen Hwai Liang, Press Secretary To The Prime Minister, Straits Times

As the head of state, he represents the country and advances our interests internationally. This is why it is appropriate to peg the President's salary higher than ministers' and just above the prime minister's.

**** The State, The Godkeepers, And Me <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/18/the-state-the-godkeepers-and-me/>
Yawning Bread

The men rose in chorus: “He’s not from the government.” Smiles beamed all around, tension lifted like a bunch of balloons and general agreement was reached that indeed their shrine was a beautiful one.

**** MP Hri Kumar Responds To Me <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2011/03/mp-hri-kumar-responds-to-me.html>
Siew Kum Hong

"I prefer our current system which directs help to those who need it, rather than one which purports to give universal and unconditional aid. It actually means much more work for the Government, as it involves examining each case and determining the most effective form of help to give. But I think that is a worthwhile exercise as different families have different challenges and circumstances. What is wrong is for us to simply give public money to everyone who holds his hand out, without proper scrutiny and assurance that it will be effective and reaches the right people."

**** Josephine Teo’s Selective Use Of ‘Germany Example’ <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/josephine-teos-selective-use-of-germany-example/>
The Online Citizen

So perhaps when Teo said that Germany “reorientated” the system, she should point out how benefits are still entitled to the jobless and that their reforms are more hardhitting than ours, rather than use a point in (German) history as a cautionary tale against ‘unemployment benefits’.

**** 不会限制房屋经纪的销售方式 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110318_010.shtml>
罗瑞兴,建屋发展局̖,叶顺德,房地产代理理事会, 联合早报

只要房屋经纪和营业员在进行工作时,没有不道德、不老实和误导性的行为,房地产代理理事会(Council for Estate Agencies)并不限制他们的销售方式。

**** 孟理齐料留守三巴旺集选区 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110318_013.shtml>
顾功垒, 联合早报

选区重新划分后,国家发展部高级政务次长孟理齐昨晚表示预料会留守三巴旺集选区,继续照顾他所负责的海军部选区近1万5000户家庭,而原属他管辖的惹兰马达亚逸(Jalan Mata Ayer) 一带近千户私宅家庭,将由归入义顺集选区的议员李美花接手。

**** 革新党竞选梦幻或难圆 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110318_012.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

一度声势浩大的革新党,继多名重量级党员离去后,现在连是否能组成团队参加一个集选区的竞选都成了疑问。

随着多名中委和准候选人陈礼添和潘群勤这对曾获得政府奖学金的夫妇上个月集体退党之后,革新党目前几乎陷入真空状态。

**** Not Only The PAP's Voice <http://www.raviphilemon.net/2011/03/not-only-paps-voice.html>
Ravi Philemon

We cannot continue to give the government a blank cheque to run Singapore as they deem fit, without consulting the man in the street. Singapore cannot continue to exist as a technocrats paradise - it must be a place where every Singaporean has a stake.

**** There Goes My $X Bak Chor Mee <http://chantc.blogspot.com/2011/03/there-goes-my-x-bak-chor-mee.html>
My Little Corner

I do not understand why people yearn for air-conditioned hawker centres, or upgraded suburban malls. Whenever I hear of this, only 1 thought goes to mind. There goes my $x bak chor mee. It's almost a certainty that after the renovation, the stall holders will increase their prices because rental rise is almost a certainty.

**** Desmond Lim – All Geared Up For The GE <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/desmond-lim-%E2%80%93-all-geared-up-for-the-ge/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

Speaking to The Online Citizen (TOC) in an exclusive interview, Mr Lim, who was recently appointed secretary general of the SDA, says the matter has been resolved and that he is looking ahead to the General Election.

When asked how he felt about the whole saga and Mr Chiam himself, Mr Lim said, “Personally, we have no problems. No personal grudges.” He says it was unfortunate that he was fingered as the person responsible for scuttling the membership application of the Reform Party (RP), which had applied to join the SDA in 2010 and which Mr Chiam had facilitated. This, he said, led to perceptions that he was the one solely responsible for the decision taken by the SDA. This is not true, Mr Lim explains. “Whatever decision that was made, it was a collective decision,” he says, referring to the SDA CEC.

**** Hard Truths About Ministerial Wages <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4673--hard-truths-about-ministerial-wages->
John Tan, Singapore Democratic Party

In a good year, even if every minister does nothing, the GDP would go up. In a bad economy, a government would typically pump money to stimulate it. That act in itself would contribute to the increase in GDP.

In Singapore when GDP does go down during a recession, our ministers still get their 16 months fixed pay. All they would miss are their bonuses for the year. When the economy recovers, they would recoup everything and then some.

**** GRC System: Wool Over Eyes (Part 4 Of 6) <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/grc-system-wool-over-eyes-part-4-of-6/>
Rajiv Chaudhry, The Online Citizen