[MyAppleMenu] Mar 10, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 10 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Review: Apple's Early 2011 Thunderbolt MacBook Pros <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/09/review_apples_early_2011_thunderbolt_macbook_pros.html>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

**** GoodReader 3.5 Offers Automatic Document Distribution <http://db.tidbits.com/article/12018?rss>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

**** Sync Your Address Book To Google And Back It Up <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/09/sync-your-address-book-to-google-and-back-it-up/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

**** iOS 4.3 Is Now Available <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/09/ios-4-3-is-now-available/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

To get the update, connect your device to iTunes and click Check for Update.

**** Apple TV Update Adds MLB, NBA Streaming <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/09/apple-tv-update-adds-mlb-nba-streaming/>
Michael Rose, TUAW

The marquee features of this update are the additions of MLB.TV and NBA Game Time as streaming content options.

**** VMware Brings Virtual Machines To iPad <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/09/vmware-brings-virtual-machines-to-ipad/>
Dana Franklin, TUAW

Unlike VNC clients that allow iPad users to remotely control a personal computer, VMware's solution displays the desktop of a virtual machine hosted online. VMware View Client for iPad uses a combination of onscreen input devices and multi-touch gestures to offer precise, intuitive controls for interacting with a PC interface on the iPad. The app fully supports WiFi or 3G connections.

**** Safari 5.0.4 Update Addresses Plug-in Compatibility, More <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20041232-263.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Topher Kessler, CNET

Apple has released an update for Safari for both OS X and Windows operating systems that addresses a number of outstanding bugs with the Web browser. These include stability and page rendering problems with sites that load browser plug-ins, implementations of VoiceOver text-to-speech technologies, image effects, and other visual options.

**** Apple Releases Xcode 4; Free For Developers, $4.99 For Everyone Else <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/09/apple-releases-xcode-4-free-for-developers-4-99-for-everyone/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

Apple has released Xcode 4 for free for all registered developers. The new Xcode offers a streamlined interface "that integrates UI design, coding, testing, and debugging, all within a single window." In addition the embedded Apple LLVM compiler underlines coding mistakes, much like Microsoft Word underlines spelling mistakes, as you type and can even correct your mistakes automatically.

**** Problems Syncing After iOS 4.3? It Might Be Your Photos <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/09/problems-syncing-after-ios-4-3-it-might-be-your-photos/>
David Winograd, TUAW

**** Pismo! Pismo! Pismo! <http://lowendmac.com/ed/hatchett/11jh/pismo-powerbook-2000.html>
John Hatchett, Low End Mac

**** How To Know When Your Mac’s Hard Disk Is Dying <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/how-to-know-when-your-macs-hard-disk-drive-is-dying>
Ron McElfresh, Mac360

**** Review: Tagalicious <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/tagalicious.html>
MacNN

Tagalicious opens your iTunes library and helps you effortlessly add missing tags and album artwork. It adds tagged and untagged music into smart libraries, so that you know the status of each song. In a separate window, you choose which tags you want to change and send that information back to your iTunes library.

**** Review: The iPad 2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158439/2011/03/ipad2.html#lsrc=twt_jsnell>
Jason Snell, Macworld

For Apple’s competitors in the tablet-device market, the iPad 2 is a bucket of water to the face. After more than a year of struggling to catch up to the original iPad, here’s a new model that addresses many of the iPad’s deficiencies, dramatically improves its speed, and doesn’t cede any ground on price, features, or battery life. The iPad 2 raises the bar Apple set a year ago—and it’s time for the rest of the industry to scramble again to catch up.

For everyone else, the iPad 2 is a triumph, an iPad that’s even more iPad than the original. And the original one was really good. The first iPad was a bolt from the blue, a device that defined an entire category, and a tough act to follow. The iPad 2 follows it with aplomb.

**** Micromat Releases TechTool Pro 6 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158445/2011/03/techtoolpro6.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Danny Gallagher, Macworld

Micromat has unleashed a new version of its venerable TechTool Pro computer diagnostics and maintenance software. TechTool Pro 6 adds a number of diagnostic features for repairing hard drives, including solid-state drives and flash storage.

**** First Look: GarageBand For iPad <http://www.macworld.com/article/158451/2011/03/garageband.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

**** Hands On With iMovie For iPad <http://www.macworld.com/article/158463/2011/03/imovie_ipad.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

iMovie looks like a great way for someone traveling light to edit together home movies. The only thing that will really limit its use is the limited number of cameras that produce iMovie-compatible video files. (Presumably the existence of this product will spur camera-makers to make sure their devices create compatible files, at least as an option.) If you shoot most of your home movies on your iPhone already, though, you will have few complaints about iMovie on the iPad.

**** Apple Digital AV Adapter <http://www.macworld.com/article/158441/2011/03/apple_digital_av_adapter_review.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

If you have an iPad, an iPhone 4, or a fourth-generation iPod touch, Apple’s Digital AV Adapter finally makes it possible to output HD video (with audio) from your iOS device to your HDTV. If you travel frequently, give presentations, or just like to share what’s on your iOS device with others, it’s a great addition to your bag of tricks. And the ability to optionally power your device at the same time gives it the flexibility that no other Apple video cable provides.

**** iPad 2 Smart Cover <http://www.macworld.com/article/158447/2011/03/ipad_2_smart_cover.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

I spent a week with a leather Smart Cover and found it to be a nice companion product, though it took a little getting used to. It adds far less bulk than any iPad case I’ve previously used, and it also gave my fingers something else to hold on to when holding the iPad in one hand. I’m sure there will be a strong market for third-party iPad 2 cases—iPad cases are already being designed that mimic this magnetized design, and many people will want a case that covers the iPad’s back half. But once again, Apple has set a high bar for third-party accessories.

**** Hits By Design <http://taptaptap.com/blog/hits-by-design/>
Phill Ryu, Tap Tap Tap

What it really is about is systematically reducing your dependence on luck by building for the audience, and doing absolutely everything you can to improve your app’s chances. And the most influential window for tweaking your luck is right at the beginning, as you go over your available app ideas and pick the one you’re going to gamble with.

**** Xcode 4: The Super Mega Awesome Review <http://pilky.me/15>
Martin Pilkington

Every developer should heap as much praise on the dev tools team as they can, as they have done a fantastic job. It's hard to take a large, mature and very familiar application and take a step back and ask "how could we do this better?" Sure it isn't to everyone's liking, but nothing is. But the beautiful thing about Xcode 4 is that it is still a lump of clay that can be sculpted. There is still a lot that can be done to improve it. And if you want to see improvements, just remember to file bugs.

**** The iPad 2 <http://daringfireball.net/2011/03/the_ipad_2>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

The iPad 2 is a solid second-generation iteration. Easier and more comfortable to hold, noticeably faster, equippable with foldable covers that are both literally and figuratively magnetic. Like last year’s iPhone 4, it seems like technology from the near future.

**** iPad 2: Thin, Not Picture Perfect <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704132204576190562423226044.html?mod=rss_Technology>
Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

As new contenders move into the field, Apple isn't likely to keep its 90% share of the booming tablet market. But the iPad 2 moves the goal posts, by being slimmer and lighter, boosting speed and power, and holding its price advantages, available apps and battery life. As of now, I can comfortably recommend it as the best tablet for average consumers.

**** Appeal Of iPad 2 Is A Matter Of Emotions <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/technology/personaltech/10pogue.html?_r=1&hp>
David Pogue, New York Times

But the shocker here, though, is that the iPad 2 actually costs less than its comparably equipped Android rivals, like the Xoom and the Samsung Galaxy Tab. That twist must have something to do with Apple’s huge buying clout — when you order five million of some component at a time, you can usually persuade the vendor to cut you a deal.

But that price detail may turn a lot of heads. It means that for the first time, your heart can succumb to the iPad mystique — without having to ignore the practical input from your brain.

**** Can An iPhone Personal Hotspot Plan Take Over For A 3G iPad? <http://www.tidbits.com/article/12020>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

When I started writing this article, I thought I’d save money by buying the Wi-Fi iPad 2. However, for my specific data usage, it turns out that the numbers favor sticking with my plan of buying a 3G iPad 2 and keeping the lowest-tier iPhone data plan, even considering the initial $130 outlay. I’m surprised, to be honest, but now I can concentrate on the more important decision: Which color of Smart Case will I pair with the iPad 2?

**** iPad 2 Is Even Better Than The Original <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2011-03-10-baig10_ST_N.htm>
Edward C. Baig, USA Today

The iPad 2 doesn't deliver everything on your tablet wish list. But when it comes to the ever-evolving state of the art, iPad 2 is second to none.

**** iPad 2 Review <http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/ipad-2-review/>
Joshua Topolsky, Engadget

It might frustrate the competition to hear this, but it needs to be said: the iPad 2 isn't just the best tablet on the market, it feels like the only tablet on the market. As much as we'd like to say that something like the Xoom has threatened Apple's presence in this space, it's difficult (if not impossible) to do that. Is the iPad 2 a perfect product? Absolutely not. The cameras are severely lacking, the screen -- while extremely high quality -- is touting last year's spec, and its operating system still has significant annoyances, like the aggravating pop-up notifications. At a price point of $499, and lots of options after that (like more storage and models that work on both Verizon's and AT&T's 3G networks), there's little to argue about in the way of price, and in terms of usability, apps like GarageBand prove that we haven't even scratched the surface of what the iPad can do.

**** Apple Set To Open Popup Shop In Core Of SXSW Action <http://www.statesman.com/business/apple-set-to-open-popup-shop-in-core-1310372.html>
Shonda Novak, American-Statesman

Apple Inc. will open a temporary store Friday in the Scarbrough Building on Congress Avenue downtown, timed to the start of South by Southwest Interactive Conference and the release of the iPad 2 tablet computer.

An Apple official said he was unaware of the store, and referred questions to corporate relations, where a spokesperson could not immediately be reached.

**** iPhone App Helps The Blind ID Currency <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/10/iphone-app-helps-the-blind-id-currency/>
Chris Ward, TUAW

Looktel says its Money Reader can use the iPhone's camera to "read" currency and speak its value aloud in real time, and the app doesn't need an internet connection. It currently recognises $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 bills and costs $2 from the App Store.

**** Apple Posts New iPad Guided Tour Videos <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/10/apple-posts-new-ipad-guided-tour-videos/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

Apple has posted new iPad guided tour videos on its site. The new videos all feature the iPad 2 and encompass FaceTime, Mail, Safari, iBooks, Videos, Photos, Find my iPad, iPod, iTunes, App Store, Maps, AirPlay, GarageBand and iMovie.

**** Safari And IE Hacked First At Pwn2Own Contest <http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=3264405>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

Apple's Safari and Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) both fell to the first hackers who tried their luck on the browsers at the opening day of the Pwn2Own hacking contest.

**** Certain USB Hubs Could Cause System Instability On Macs <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/10/certain-usb-hubs-could-cause-system-instability-on-macs/>
Chris Ward, TUAW

Apple has just released a support note explaining how, in a certain combination of circumstances, third-party USB hubs may incorrectly disconnect after wake from sleep, causing system instability.

**** iPad Sales Times Announced <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/ipad-sales-times-announced/?src=busln>
Sam Grobart, New York Times

Apple will commence online ordering of the iPad 2 at 4 a.m. Eastern time on Friday, March 11, according to the company.

In-store sales will begin at 5 p.m. on March 11, a date and time set by Apple stores and honored by brick-and-mortar partners like Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart.

**** The iPad Falls Short As A Creation Tool Without Coding Apps <http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/ipad-creation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29>
Brian X. Chen, Wired

It’s great that Apple’s iPad will give birth to some more musicians and moviemakers, but we can’t forget the people who make hardware extra special: the programmers.

**** 3 Software Programs That Add To The iPad 2’s Appeal <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/3-software-programs-that-add-to-the-ipad-2s-appeal/>
David Pogue, New York Times

These new apps won’t get the iPad into the doors of corporate America — they’re clearly aimed at ordinary folks with creative urges. But on that score, they deliver. And they make the iPad 2 that much more joyous a gadget.

**** Users Report Flickering Issues With Latest Apple TV Software Update <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/10/users_report_flickering_issues_with_latest_apple_tv_software_update.html>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

This week's update for the Apple TV set top box has created new issues and problems for some, as numerous users have reported screen flickering with various high-definition TV sets.

**** Cyberduck 4 FTP Client Released For Mac And Windows <http://www.macworld.com/article/158452/2011/03/cyberduck4.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Danny Gallagher, Macworld

Among the major improvements in version 4.0 is support for Dropbox. In addition, Cyberduck can now connect to the Windows Azure cloud service. That expands Cyberduck’s existing support for cloud services including Amazon S3, Google Storage, and Google Docs, among others. That’s in addition to traditional file-transfer protocols such as FTP, SFTP, and WebDAV.

**** Twitter For Mac 2.0.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158480/2011/03/twitter_mac_2.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Were it useful only for navigating (and posting) messages on the Twitter service, that would be enough. But it’s also a true delight to use. Some will surely never take to Twitter for Mac's obvious and dramatic iOS influences. For me, however, while Twitter's interface felt foreign at first, now it simply feels like the future.

**** GarageBand Review <http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=835978#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

This amazing tool—complete with eight-track recording, easy-does-it interface, customizable and easily played virtual instruments, on-board loops, sampler, guitar amps and effects, drum machine, and tuner—may be the most inspiring musical iOS app I’ve ever used. And at a meager $5, it’s an astonishing bargain. Musician or not, it’s a must-have app.

**** How To Use Home Sharing On Your iOS 4.3 Device <http://www.macworld.com/article/158479/2011/03/home_sharing_ios_43.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** First Look: iMovie For iOS <http://www.macworld.com/article/158458/2011/03/imovie_ios_first_look.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

**** Apple Changes Purchases Policy To Protect Kids On iPad, iPhone Games <http://voices.washingtonpost.com/posttech/2011/03/apple_changes_purchases_policy.html>
Cecilia Kang, Washington Post

Apple said its new device software, iOS 4.3, made available Wednesday, will come with a feature that requires a password when purchases are made within an application after it is downloaded.

**** How To Save Dying Cities <http://www.slate.com/id/2287255/?from=rss>
Witold Rybczynski, Slate

They don't need light rail, downtown stadiums, or flashy new museums. They need smart people.

**** A Vaster Wasteland <http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/04/a-vaster-wasteland/8418/>
Newton N. Minow, The Atlantic

For 50 years, we have bombarded our children with commercials disguised as programs and with endless displays of violence and sexual exploitation. We are nearly alone in the democratic world in not providing our candidates with public-service television time. Instead we make them buy it—and so money consumes and corrupts our political discourse.

**** Race: When Valorization Is Vilification <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/race-when-valorization-is-vilification/>
Molitics

The problem created by the accusation that Malays do not integrate well cannot be solved by making the opposite claim to praise them with banal supporting evidence. The problem not whether they are well-integrated or not. It is whether anyone has the right to make sweeping statements about a particular race. It is whether anyone has the right to decide for a particular racial group the terms of integration. It is whether Malays should have been imagined as a distinct group, regardless of the comments made based on such an imagination.

**** PAP Ramps Up Online Presence For GE <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110310-0000245/PAP-ramps-up-online-presence-for-GE>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

Two weeks after the electoral battle lines were redrawn, members of the People's Action Party (PAP) are cranking up the gears in order to make their presence felt online for the coming General Election. New Facebook pages for new constituencies are springing up, even though the deployment of candidates has not been finalised.

**** EP, S Pass Salary Thresholds To Be Raised <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110310-0000251/EP,-S-Pass-salary-thresholds-to-be-raised>
Esther Ng And S Ramesh, Today

**** How Deep Does Opposition Unity Run? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110310-0000184/How-deep-does-Opposition-unity-run?>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

But the measure of "Opposition unity" - a term thrown around too frivolously at times - is more than just friendly horsetrading and public statements espousing consensus rather than conflict. It is also not necessarily about singing from the same hymn sheet or having identical ideas and style.

It is about coming out with and adopting a common strategy, regardless of personal rifts or disagreements - even if it involves multi-cornered fights.

**** Election Watch Part VIII - The Digital Warfare In Electoral Battle <http://de-leviathan.blogspot.com/2011/03/election-watch-part-viii-digital.html>
De Leviathan @ SG

**** Philippine President Takes Stairs Up 20 Flights <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/03/10/philippine-president-takes-stairs-up-20-flights/>
Elena Torrijos, Yahoo!

Philippine President Benigno Aquino III had to take 20 flights of stairs up a water treatment plant in the first day of his state visit to Singapore after the building’s only lift broke down.

**** 刘程强:我没掉进“非选区议员圈套” <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110310_002.shtml>
周殊钦, 联合早报

他指出本身早已在国会上宣布个人绝不会接受非选区议席,至于工人党其他候选人,如果他们届时接到国会邀请,也肯定不会自动接受,而是须要开会决定。

他不仅坚持这样的指责为无稽之谈,还反驳说其他政党把争论通过传媒在大众舞台上搬演,简直是“拿石头砸自己的脚”。

**** Letter Comparison: Plugging For TV Debate Before GE <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/letter-comparison-plugging-for-tv-debate-before-ge/>
The Online Citizen

The following is the original letter sent to ST.

**** Message From Parliament <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/03/message-from-parliament.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

Don’t worry, economic growth is everything and it will not stop. We will keep growing, and keep needing foreign talents, and more bodies.

**** A Proud Nation. <http://javertworld.blogspot.com/2011/03/proud-nation.html>
Javert's World

This is what happened when people are too comfortable in a job for too long and let complacency set in. A high and mighty attitude just make me sick.

**** The Party Political Broadcast I Would Like To Hear <http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2011/03/07/the-party-political-broadcast-i-would-like-to-hear/>
Political Writings

A vote for PAP is a vote for the status quo, a vote for caught off-guard ministers, a vote backward.

**** Election Goodies: Proves The Point That PAP Needs To Be Spurred? <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/election-goodies-proves-the-point-that-pap-needs-to-be-spurred/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

Does this not undermine the governing party’s argument that they are benevolent, always trying to do the best for S’poreans, and hence we should give it all the parly seats and, if we don’t give them all the seats, the mandate to rule us forever and a day?

**** School System ‘Still Best Way To Move Up’ <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/school-system-still-best-way-to-move-up/>
Yours Truly Singapore

**** ASEAN Diplomacy, Singapore Style! <http://akikonomu.blogspot.com/2011/03/asean-diplomacy-singapore-style.html>
Illusio

**** 被指态度硬没商量 刘程强:这对工人党不公平 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110310_030.shtml>
周殊钦, 联合早报

针对一些政党领导人指因工人党态度强硬,毫无磋商余地而导致跨党协商会议虽举行两次,反对党之间仍无法取得共识的说法,他认为这是对工人党不公平的。

**** Ex-Reform Party Members Join NSP <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_643521.html>
Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times

At least four former members of the Reform Party (RP) have joined the opposition National Solidarity Party (NSP) and are poised to stand as its candidates at the next polls.

The four include former government scholarship holders Tony Tan Lay Thiam and his wife Hazel Poa, both 41.

**** Singapore To Raise Minimum Pay For Foreign White-Collar Labor <http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201103092024dowjonesdjonline000592&title=singapore-to-raise-minimum-pay-for-foreign-white-collar-labor>
Dow Jones

Singapore will raise the minimum salaries employers must pay to foreign white-collar and skilled technical workers, after recently announcing hikes in foreign-worker levies, as it seeks to stem inflows of overseas labor, a government minister said.

The new thresholds are between 10.7% to 12.5% higher than previous levels and will take effect from July, Gan said.

**** MPs Question Adequacy Of CPF Savings For Old Age <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_643532.html>
Rachel Chang, Straits Times

Opposition MP Chiam See Tong (Potong Pasir) asked for a review of the interest rates paid on CPF accounts, and suggested that the rates be pegged to the returns of Singapore's investment company, Temasek Holdings.

**** Dr Lily Neo – A Rare PAP Breed <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/dr-lily-neo-%E2%80%93-a-rare-pap-breed/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

Whatever it is, Dr Neo should be proud of her work and for speaking up for the less fortunate. It is rare indeed that any PAP MP would so doggedly champion the poor.

It is not an easy task to seek help in Singapore, especially from a Government – and a minister – which is possessed by its own mantra of “self-reliance” to the point of becoming oblivious to the realities which the poor face.

I hope Dr Neo will still be around when the 12th Parliament sits after the next elections.

**** Mixed Views On KL-Singapore Rail Link <http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/3/10/business/8222324&sec=business>
Sharidan M. Ali, The Star

A transport analyst with a local research house said although there was a need to establish KL-Singapore high-speed rail, the high cost of such a project remained a concern.

**** Comcare: Moving Statistics? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/comcare-moving-statistics/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** There They Go Again Blacking News On SDP <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4659-there-they-go-again-blacking-news-on-sdp>
Singapore Democratic Party

As Dr Chee Soon Juan pointed out to Ms Han in his letter, MediaCorp seems to be following the PAP's agenda to minimise reportage on the Singapore Democrats. But Ms Cheow's report is yet another piece of evidence that the PAP and its media is intent on keeping SDP's news away from the public eye.

**** Budget 2011: PSB Programmes Will Continue To Get Strong Govt Support <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1115578/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Budget 2011: Parliament Ends Budget Debate <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1115602/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

The 2011 Budget session ended with strong hints from both the Speaker of Parliament and Leader of the House that this is the last session before the General Election.

**** NSP Reveals Its First Slate Of Election Candidates <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1115607/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Four of the five candidates were previously Reform Party members. They are Mr Tan and his wife, Mr Jeisilan and Ms Chong.

**** Expensive Data-roaming Woes To Be Addressed <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_643654.html>
Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times

Consumers will be able to sign up for a free opt-out service that will prevent them from chalking up huge bills for overseas data roaming and unsolicited SMS contests and games. Telecommunications sector regulator Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) is expected to reveal details of the new requirements next Monday.

**** Straws For Optimists <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/straws-for-optimists/>
Yawning Bread

The point however is that for the large majority of Malays, not culturally western, liberty issues do not stir them very much, yet they feel marginalised by the economic dissenters and the parties that speak strongly on such issues. The least bad option is to vote for the PAP. At least the PAP values them, as the U-turn by Lee shows.

However, if you’re an opposition optimist, you’d take heart from this little fiasco on the PAP’s side, and hope that a good number of Malays will be so turned off by this episode, they will now give serious consideration to another party.

**** Good Governance, Transparency And Accountability? Time Bombs Of PAP Rule (Part II) <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6282>
Angela Faye Oon, Sgpolitics.net

Right now, what we see of Singapore is a system that is working as it is meant to. In other words, this is the optimum state of affairs that such a system is able to produce, if by “best” one is referring to economic criteria such as GDP. However, the biggest drawback of this system is that if the powerful authoritarian government fails to stay incorrupt, or stops performing, the country will likely collapse very quickly and very spectacularly. Therefore accountability measures must be put in place at every level of the bureaucracy to sound the alert when or if the system begins to fail, and a credible backup government must be ready in the wings to take over at a moment’s notice.

**** Lending The Poor A Helping Hand <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6286>
Wong Wee Nam, Sgpolitics.net

Singapore has the highest level of inequality. With inflation, increased cost of living and depression of wages, the people in the lowest income sector of population are finding it harder and harder to cope. This means that the people who will ultimately suffer will be the children of those on the lowest rung of the socio-economic ladder.

Yet in his reply to Dr Neo, the minister for community development, youth and sports, instead of saying he would give the problem a thought, he chose to highlight the various existing schemes that are already in place which the MP for Jalan Besar GRC rightly pointed out had not worked.

**** Congrats To Next President For His Almost $900,000 Pay Increment! <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/03/congrats-to-next-president-for-his-almost-900000-pay-increment.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
mrbrown

**** Elections Might Come Sooner Than Later <http://www.todayonline.com/Commentary/EDC110311-0000203/Elections-might-come-sooner-than-later>
Eugene K B Tan, Today