[MyAppleMenu] Jun 19, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 19 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple Signs Up For WebGL Graphics In iAds <http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20071902-264/apple-signs-up-for-webgl-graphics-in-iads/>
Stephen Shankland, CNET

Apple hasn't said whether it plans to ship WebGL, though nightly builds of the WebKit open-source browser on which Safari is based include support. But an Apple employee said this week it will be an option on iOS 5--for iAds only.

**** Apple Releases New iPad 2 Ad, 'Now' <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/17/apple-releases-new-ipad-2-ad-now/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

**** Swackett 1.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/160418/2011/06/swackett1.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Brendan Wilhide, Macworld

Sure, you can get your weather forecast from other applications and Websites, but few have as much fun with the weather forecast as Swackett.

**** Apple Is Said To Bid In Auction For Nortel Networks Patents <http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_18303957?nclick_check=1>
Olga Kharif, Adam Satariano And Hugo Miller, Bloomberg

The move would put Apple in competition with Google for the 6,000 patents, which could be used in smartphone technology.

**** The NY Post, The iPad And The Web <http://scripting.com/stories/2011/06/18/theNyPostTheIpadAndTheWeb.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

The thing is this -- the iPad has a perfectly functional web browser. It isn't a "mobile" web browser. It has a full-size screen. It doesn't need any accomodations to be readable, it is readable as-is.

**** So Far Only Elation, Not Border War, From Neighbors Over Apple Mega-campus <http://www.mercurynews.com/sunnyvale/ci_18310540>
Mike Rosenberg, San Jose Mercury News

The humongous Apple mother ship campus will one day call Cupertino home, but it'll sit so close to Sunnyvale and Santa Clara that residents there will be able to look out their windows and catch a glimpse of Steve Jobs heading to work -- along with 12,000 other employees.

But the tech giant's pure economic prowess, with its potential to raise nearby property values and bring good jobs to the region, is easing -- for now, at least -- the typical NIMBY-like disputes and border wars that have plagued these cities in the past.

**** Standard Platform In The Works For 'Internet Of Things' <http://www.gizmag.com/isis-platform-internet-of-things/18952/>
Ben Coxworth, Gizmag

**** Book Review: 'The Hair Of Harold Roux' By Thomas Williams <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-thomas-williams-20110619,0,4574939.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
David L. Ulin, Los Angles Times

"The Hair of Harold Roux" revolves around Benham's attempts to write a novel, also called "The Hair of Harold Roux," which is revealed in increasingly detailed fragments. It's a risky strategy, the kind of literary looking glass that often collapses under the weight of its own self-reflection, and Williams addresses such concerns head-on. "[W]ho wants to write about or read about a professor who is a writer who is writing about writing," he observes early in the novel. "It's all incestuous and even narcissistic."

**** Blood, Bones & Butter: The Formative Years <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jun/19/gabrielle-hamilton-chef-memoir-new-york>
Gabrielle Hamilton, The Guardian

I turned 17 during my waitress shift at the Lone Star Cafe, high on coke. And I made a big show of it. It made me feel something, something like bad and good, to run to the restroom in pairs, giggling with one of my waitress friends, while patrons watched. I felt, somehow, as if I were sending a coded signal to potential admirers if I made an oh-so-casual point of wiping the little trickle of coke-laced snot from my upper lip and then licking my finger so as not to lose that last shot of tongue-numbing tingle.

**** Time Wars <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/06/19/time_wars/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Ideas+section>
Adam Barrows, Boston Globe

Last August, on the first day of Ramadan, the largest clock in the world began ticking for the first time. The Mecca Clock, designed to serve as the authoritative timepiece for the world’s 1.5 billion Muslims and positioned at the top of the world’s largest clock tower, poses not only an architectural challenge to England’s iconic Big Ben, but a political one as well. Defying the global agreement to consider Greenwich, England, the zero-point for measuring time and space — based on when the sun crosses over that meridian — the clock was constructed to run not on Greenwich Mean Time but on Mecca Time, with Mecca as prime meridian. This means that the Mecca Clock, and anyone who sets a watch by it, deviates from standard time by roughly 21 minutes.

**** The 72-word Door <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/06/19/the_72_word_door/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Ideas+section>
Ben Zimmer, Boston Globe

If you’ve ever spent much time consulting a modern unabridged dictionary, you might have noticed the peculiar phrasings and tone of its definitions — each one winding its way from a general opening through a litany of complex details in a single, sometimes unmanageable, phrase. And you might have wondered: If dictionaries are intended to illuminate, why can the definitions sound so convoluted?

**** Eating Myself Silly <http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/503772?all=yes>
Adam Platt, Condé Nast Traveler

Some tourists like to collect seashells on their journeys, or shards of pottery, or nostalgic postcards from the distant places they've visited, like the Pyramids of Giza or Timbuktu. But ever since those early days in Taiwan, I've always equated the glamour of travel and of living in a far-off land with the eternal joys of a good meal. And why not?

**** How To Land Your Kid In Therapy <http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/07/how-to-land-your-kid-in-therapy/8555/>
Lori Gottlieb, The Atlantic

Our main job as psychotherapists, in fact, was to “re-parent” our patients, to provide a “corrective emotional experience” in which they would unconsciously transfer their early feelings of injury onto us, so we could offer a different response, a more attuned and empathic one than they got in childhood.

At least, that was the theory. Then I started seeing patients.

**** 郭丽娟:一个选区,两个基层组织? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110618_005.shtml>
郭丽娟, 联合早报

坦白说,让行动党议员以基层组织顾问身份参加区内活动,看似完美的一步棋,议员既能达到与居民交流的目的,同时也不违背人协基层组织不同政治和政党挂钩的原则。然而,相信在大部分的明眼人看来,人协基层组织明显偏袒行动党,要说服人们接受这些组织与政治不沾边,几乎是一项不可能的任务。

**** Hackers Steal Data From NParks Portal <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_681215.html>
Teh Joo Lin, Straits Times

**** DBSS Is Not HDB <http://mndsingapore.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/dbss-is-not-hdb/>
Khaw Boon Wan, Singapore Government

While HDB flats are designed and priced by HDB, DBSS flats are designed and priced by private developers. If the private developer prices it too high and there are no takers, there will be no sales.

**** Meet-the-People Session: Is This Feedback Channel For Real? <http://trackinglui.blogspot.com/2011/06/lui-tuck-yews-mps-is-this-feedback.html>
Tracking Moulmein MP Lui

I walked out of the MPS feeling that it was a time-wasting and ineffective feedback channel. This would be my first and last MPS. The lack of sincerity makes a mockery of the unstinting hard work and devotion of the grassroots volunteers.

**** Singaporeans Are Indeed Bonkers <http://newnation.sg/2011/06/singaporeans-are-indeed-bonkers/>
Belmont Lay, New Nation

**** The Freedom To Love <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/06/19/the-freedom-to-love/>
Funny Little World

Pink Dot celebrates the freedom to love, whether that love be heterosexual or homosexual. We came together at Hong Lim Park to stand against ignorance, fear, prejudice and discrimination, and to say that it is okay to be who you are, and love who you love.

**** The Other Side Of Politics <http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2011/06/19/the-other-side-of-politics/>
Andrew Loh

What is new is that, with the help of the Internet, supporters of these causes can and are banding up to lend weight to their voices.

**** Are Singaporeans The Most ‘Disgusting’ People? <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/singaporeans-most-disgusting-people-091804650.html>
Yahoo!

**** Pink Dot – Hope Of A More Inclusive, Open-minded Singapore <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/pink-dot-hope-of-a-more-inclusive-open-minded-singapore/>
Otto Fong, The Online Citizen

Today, we reaffirm our love for Singapore. Singapore, belongs not to any one segment, any one group. It belongs to us all – gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or straight. Together, we signal a hope of a more inclusive, open-minded Singapore. Together, we support each other’s freedom to love, so that every one of us can have someone to call his or her own in this life!

**** No Reply From Elections Department <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4863-no-reply-from-elections-department>
Singapore Democratic Party

When it comes to elections one cannot be too careful and the ELD must take every measure to ensure that the process is completely transparent and not leave room for any questions.

**** Singapore Mainstream Media Generally Anti-religion, Particularly anti-Christianity? <http://szezeng.blogspot.com/2011/06/singapore-mainstream-media-anti.html>
Zze Zeng

**** Singapore Remains Attractive Hub For Highly Skilled Indians <http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/nri/working-abroad/singapore-remains-attractive-hub-for-highly-skilled-indians/articleshow/8905581.cms>
The Economic Times

The large number of Indian companies with operations in Singapore, about 4,000, are also huge employers of Indians.

**** Theme Park Designers Draw Steady Work In Asia <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-asia-theme-parks-20110619,0,2012086.story>
David Pierson, Los Angles Times

To round up talent to build Universal Studios' newest theme park in Singapore, chief designer Kevin Barbee didn't look far from his Wilshire Boulevard office. After all, Southern California is a hive for independent designers and other creative types who perfected their craft at Universal Studios Hollywood, Disneyland, Six Flags Magic Mountain and others.

But with the U.S. economy struggling, veterans like Barbee are packing their bags for Asia, one of the few sources of steady employment for purveyors of pixie dust these days. When the global economy tanked in 2008, he and his hand-picked team were among the few in the industry working full tilt on a major new park.

**** The Sophistry Of Law Minister K. Shanmugam <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2011/06/sophistry-of-law-minister-k-shanmugam.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

If minister K. Shanmugam expects his sophistry to dispel the suspicion of government's disrespectful treatment of President Ong, he will have to try harder and with more sincerity.

**** MPs Tell Residents: No Need To Stand, Clap For Us <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/mps-tell-residents-no-stand-clap-us-050005362.html>
Yahoo!

**** Supporting Pink Dot <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2011/06/supporting-pink-dot.html>
Sam Ho, Sam's Thoughts

Pink Dot's not perfect, probably hardly constitutes LGBT activism (in the traditional and romantic sense), but it sure complements what we've been doing all along for equality in Singapore regardless of orientation or persuasion.

**** Presidential Hopefuls Work Out Campaign Budgets <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110620-0000213/Presidential-hopefuls-work-out-campaign-budgets>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

Former NTUC Income chief Tan Kin Lian expects the budget for his election campaign to be "$100,000 to $200,000". The 63-year-old wrote on his blog yesterday he would "personally contribute to a significant part of the expenses" but would need donations from his supporters. Former People's Action Party (PAP) MP Tan Cheng Bock, the other presidential contender, expects his campaign budget to be "quite high".