[MyAppleMenu] Jun 18, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 18 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Intuit's Aaron Patzer Hints At Apple Licensing Rosetta <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/17/intuits-aaron-patzer-hints-at-apple-licensing-rosetta/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** Apple Reveals Mac OS X Lion, Server Prices For Business And Education <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/17/apple_reveals_mac_os_x_lion_server_prices_for_business_and_education.html>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

For business customers, Apple's online Business Store will offer volume licenses at the same $29.99 price in a minimum quantity of 20 licenses. The company will also offer maintenance contracts for $49.99 per license at the same minimum quantity.

Apple also announced that Mac OS X Lion Server will be available as a separate $49.99 option for Lion buyers. Existing Snow Leopard Server users will be able to upgrade to Lion Server by buying Lion along with Lion Server, for a total of $80.

**** Rereading: The Go-Between By LP Hartley <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jun/17/lp-hartley-go-between-ali-smith?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Ali Smith, The Guardian

A combination of knowing and not-knowing is this novel's driving force.

**** My Death Is My Affair – Just Don't Let My Daughter Design My Headstone <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jun/17/suzanne-moore-assisted-dying-terry-pratchett?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Suzanne Moore, The Guardian

The reality is of assisted living. And as we speak, for many it is not good at all. We have an ageing population – with dementia increasing – and it's bloody tough. That is the future. I may at some point want to refuse that future. It is my affair, and I take comfort in this. To be pro-choice on assisted dying means simply to me to be entirely pro–life.

**** A Summer Of Drowning By John Burnside: Review <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/8579383/A-Summer-of-Drowning-by-John-Burnside-review.html>
Anthony Cummins, The Telegraph

The novel invites you to view storytelling as akin to madness.

**** Why Bukit Brown Is Needed For Housing <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110618-0000240/Why-Bukit-Brown-is-needed-for-housing>
Tan See Nin, Urban Redevelopment Authority, Today

Bukit Brown is needed in the future for housing, as it is centrally located and is close to established residential areas. There is provision for a future MRT station along the Circle Line to serve the area.

**** Struck Off Register Despite Voting, Human Error The Cause <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110618-0000283/Struck-off-Register-despite-voting,-human-error-the-cause>
Lynda Hong Ee Lyn, Today

Having cast their ballots on Polling Day last month, some Singaporeans recently received letters from the Elections Department informing them that their names had been expunged from the Register of Electors for not having voted in the recent General Election.

Mr Kong, a member of the National Solidarity Party, said the lapses would allow eligible voters - who did not turn up to vote without valid reason - to have their names restored without having to pay the S$50 penalty.

Mr Kong had also wondered if the lapses meant that a voter could have - at least in theory - voted twice.

**** Singaporeans 'Must Have Local Addresses To Be Eligible To Vote' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110618-0000232/Singaporeans-must-have-local-addresses-to-be-eligible-to-vote>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

Taxi driver Husni Abdullah A-Edrus, 56, had told MediaCorp that he was unable to vote during the recent General Election (GE) because his pink identity card bears a Johor Baru address.

Mr Husni Abdullah, who voted in 2006 in the Sembawang Group Representation Constituency, had sold his family's four-room Yishun flat two years ago, as he could not keep up with payments. He then rented a flat here for six months before moving to Johor, where rents are lower.

I wonder if one can 'escape' doing NS by living in JB.

**** Pushing All The Right Buttons <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2011/6/18/columnists/insightdownsouth/8919538&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

The biggest shockwave has emerged from the People’s Action Party (PAP) as it reappraises itself and its relationship with Singapore-ans in a way that few had thought possible.

And much of it came from the least expected source – 59-year-old party leader Lee Hsien Loong.