[MyAppleMenu] Jul 12, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 12 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple Releases Minor Updates For iDVD, iWeb <http://www.macworld.com/article/161057/2011/07/iweb_idvd_updates_07112011.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

Both updates, which run 36 and 179MB in size respectively, claim to provide stability improvements and fixes for minor issues.

**** Apple Asks Developers For OS X Lion Mac App Store Submissions <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/11/apple-asks-developers-for-os-x-lion-mac-app-store-submissions/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

In an email sent out to developers this evening, Apple says that OS X Lion will "soon be available to millions of Mac users around the world." They are asking developers to submit their OS X Lion compatible applications so they can be on the Mac App Store when Lion ships "this month".

**** The Best File Archive Utility For Mac <http://lifehacker.com/5819892/the-best-file-archive-utility-for-mac>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

**** A Hassle-Free Approach To Making Your Mac Adapt To Your Environment <http://lifehacker.com/5819870/a-hassle+free-approach-to-making-your-mac-adapt-to-your-environment>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

Your laptop follows you wherever you go, and so do all your settings. When you move locations you don't always want the same network configuration, default printer, security settings, file sharing options, and so on. Adapting to a new environment doesn't have to be a constant annoyance. Here's how to do it painlessly.

**** How To Clone Your Mac Hard Drive With Carbon Copy Cloner <http://www.informationweek.com/byte/news/personal-tech/storage-memory/230900012>
Brian Burgess, Byte

If you're swapping out your hard drive for a new one, the best thing to do is clone the old one first. Cloning a drive simply creates an exact sector-to-sector backup copy of your drive's contents from one single point in time. It's a perfect image of the original, including all OS files. So when you swap out your old drive for the new one, you don't have to tweak or reset anything.

**** Own Your Identity <http://www.marco.org/2011/07/11/own-your-identity>
Marco Arment

It’s interesting that so much online publishing is moving into a small handful of massive, closed, proprietary networks after being so distributed and diverse during the big boom of blogs and RSS almost a decade ago.

**** Open Recent Documents From The Help Menu <http://www.macworld.com/article/161044/2011/07/help_menu_search.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** iPhone And iPad Security: Four Basic Tips To Stay Safe <http://www.macworld.com/article/161060/2011/07/iphone_security_jailbreakme.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Tom Kaneshige, CIO

**** iPad Power: Connect To A Remote Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/160317/2011/06/remote_control_iPad.html>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

**** Sheetrock <http://www.slate.com/id/2298728/?from=rss>
Sophie Cabot Black, Slate

**** This Is A Serious Book Review <http://www.slate.com/id/2298947/?from=rss>
Michael Agger, Slate

Siegel's new book, Are You Serious?, eventually climbs to a grander philosophical height: We're uncertain how to live seriously. Does a serious person move to the suburbs? Make a lot of money? Have children? Believe in God? As you can imagine, this book has some serious shit in it.

**** Bycatch 22 <http://nymag.com/news/features/bycatch-2011-7/>
Tom Gogola, New York Magazine

As a twisted consequence of overfishing regulations, commercial fishermen have no choice but to catch sea bass, flounder, monkfish, and tuna—and throw them dead back into the sea.

**** Hidup Rakyat – A Singaporean Perspective On Bersih 2.0 <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/07/hidup-rakyat-–-a-singaporean-perspective-on-bersih-2-0/>
Bhavan Jaipragas, The Online Citizen

At the end of it, Bersih 2.0 is about the people – not political parties or politicians or even the ever valiant Datuk Ambiga. I am convinced that the protestors were well aware of this. Among the cacophony of chants heard in Kuala Lumpur on 9 July 2011, the loudest was ‘Hidup Rakyat!’. Long live the People.

**** Singapore Sees Digital Textbooks In Future <http://www.zdnetasia.com/singapore-sees-digital-textbooks-in-future-62301144.htm>
Kevin Kwang, ZDNet

The education ministry has been exploring the use of digital textbooks in local schools in recent years, with limited projects deployed in pilot schools to test out its feasibility.

**** Singapore Is Coming Up Short In Investor Relations For One Big Reason <http://www.businessinsider.com/singapore-is-coming-up-short-in-investor-relations-for-one-big-reason-2011-7>
Business Insider

**** Understanding Nuclear Power In Singapore: A Necessity, Not A Choice – Analysis <http://www.eurasiareview.com/understanding-nuclear-power-in-singapore-a-necessity-not-a-choice-analysis-11072011/>
Lim Yu Hui, IPCS, Eurasia Review

It is precisely because Singapore will be at the mercy of its neighbours’ activities that makes the study of nuclear energy a more urgent need than before.

**** A Case For Discussion On Death Penalty <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_689614.html>
Peter Low, Maruah, Straits Times

This case supports Maruah's position that various aspects of the death penalty in Singapore contravene international human rights norms.

Singapore also allows someone to be convicted based solely on his confession to the police. It is difficult, if not impossible, for an accused person to prove that his confession was involuntary.

The irreversibility of the death penalty demands the most rigorous of processes before someone is convicted and hanged.

**** IPS post-GE2011 Survey, Part 2 <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/ips-post-ge2011-survey-part-2/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

Here again, the PAP should be very concerned. To win these voters back may require a complete revolution in how the party goes about governing. Both ends and means have to be upended, but as far as I can see, such a revolution is nowhere on the horizon.

**** Post Museum Election Perspectives: A Critique Of The Yawning Bread Article <http://sonofadud.com/2011/07/11/post-museum-election-perspectives-a-critique-of-the-yawning-bread-article/>
Reinventing The Rice Bowl

While there are elements that we have in common with some strands of libertarianism it is probably more correct to describe the Reform Party as being firmly in the mainstream of the Liberal tradition.

**** Singapore’s Art Soft Power <http://the-diplomat.com/asean-beat/2011/07/12/singapores-art-soft-power/>
Eddie Walsh, The Diplomat

**** 警方办案应兼顾情理 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110712_004.shtml>
何伟民, 联合早报

在我看来,这些孩子也是受害者,不是罪犯。警方在处理时应该更谨慎小心,避免二重伤害。

在任何法治社会,尊重公民的基本权利是执法时的基本常识。警察在办案时除了照章行事,也必须兼顾情理常识。

**** Can The Poor Afford Concessionary Rates? <http://speakspokewritewrote.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/can-the-poor-afford-concessionary-rates/>
SpeakSpokeWriteWrote

**** A Tale Of Flooding <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/07/a-tale-of-flooding/>
Shawn Danker, The Online Citizen

Even if the flood warning had worked as intended, would it have made a difference to the people affected in Orchard Road?

**** TUC FairPrice Managing Director Responds To TOC <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/07/ntuc-fairprice-managing-director-responds-to-toc/>
Gerry Lee, NTUC FairPrice’s Managing Director (Business Groups), The Online Citizen

Like any business operation, the decision to open a new store or to close down an existing store are commercial decisions driven by factors such as profitability of the store and competition.

Our lease at Hougang CC will expire at the end of this month and we took the opportunity to review the business viability of this store. We decided to close down this store as it was no longer a viable business option for us. We also took into consideration that we have other stores in the vicinity to serve our customers. In Hougang alone, we operate 4 FairPrice supermarkets and 1 FairPrice Xtra Hypermarket in Hougang Point.

**** Govt To Provide Staff Support To ex-MM Lee And Emeritus SM Goh <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1140460/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has decided that former minister mentor Mr Lee Kuan Yew and emeritus senior minister Mr Goh Chok Tong will be provided staff support by the govern ment.

A statement from the Prime Minister's Office said this will enable them to carry out official work when called upon by the government as well as their duties as senior advisors to GIC and MAS respectively.

**** Singapore returns to Malaysian football <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/7/12/nation/20110712185457&sec=nation>
ERIC SAMUEL, The Star

After a lapse of 17 years, Singapore will be playing in the Malaysian Super League (MSL) with their Under-23 squad - Singapore Young Lions - playing in the top flight of the 14-team Super League.

Under the four-year agreement between the two countries, the Singapore Young Lions will be playing in the MSL while the Malaysian Harimau Muda A squad under coach Ong Kim Swee will be playing in the S-League.

**** Singapore Costs Exceed Hong Kong For First Time, Mercer Says <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-07-12/singapore-costs-exceed-hong-kong-for-first-time-mercer-says.html>
Yudith Ho And Chien Mi Wong, Bloomberg

Singapore overtook Hong Kong as a more expensive city for expatriates for the first time, driven by a stronger currency and higher rents, according to Mercer’s Worldwide Cost of Living Survey.

Singapore’s record economic growth last year helped the city to become home to the world’s highest proportion of millionaire households at 15.5 percent of the population, according to a Boston Consulting Group report in May. Inflation rose 4.5 percent in May, exceeding economists’ estimates, as food and transportation costs climbed, supporting the central bank’s decision to allow the currency to appreciate further.

**** Part Of The Answer <http://piaroh.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/part-of-the-answer/>
Words Of The Cze

**** Andrew Kuan To Join The Fray? <http://thesatayclub.net/2011/07/andrew-kuan-to-join-the-fray/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=andrew-kuan-to-join-the-fray>
Nigel Tan, The Satay Club

**** The Flip-side Of Privatisation.... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/07/flip-side-of-privatisation.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

Instead of a transport service provider that tries to maximise its profit by pushing down service quality to as low as possible, we can elevate the quality of life of millions of Singaporeans by putting in place a transport system that puts the comfort and convenience of commuters at the top of its priorites.

**** WP Reiterates Call For National Transport Corporation <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110713-0000089/WP-reiterates-call-for-National-Transport-Corporation>
Today

WP pointed out that it had, in its 2006 and 2011 manifestos, "called for the MRT and public buses servicing major trunk and inter-town routes to be brought under a National Transport Corporation". It added that the entity "should not be profit-oriented but should aim to provide public transportation services on the basis of cost and depreciation recovery".

The WP said: "This would avoid a situation like we have seen (on Monday) where, despite earning profits of S$215.4 million last year, the two public transport operators are still applying for what threatens to be the single biggest fare increase to hit commuters in recent years." The Opposition party noted that its proposal "would not necessarily mean higher subsidies or a loss-making endeavour".