[MyAppleMenu] Jul 10, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 10 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** OS X Lion Kills Rosetta PowerPC Support, Here’s What To Do About It <http://www.cultofmac.com/os-x-lion-kills-rosetta-powerpc-support-heres-what-to-do-about-it/103458>
David W. Martin, Cult Of Mac

**** Quicken Won't Run On Lion: 10 Mac Finance Apps That Will <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/09/quicken-wont-run-on-lion-heres-10-mac-apps-to-cure-those-blue/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** MacBook Air Is Where The iCloud Lives <http://www.macworld.com/article/160933/2011/07/ihnatko_icloud_macbook_air.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Andy Ihnatko, Macworld

It’s easy to convince myself that the 11-inch Air is a true signature product for Apple. In context, it’s certainly the most significant piece of hardware Apple’s produced in the past ten years whose name isn’t preceded by a lower-case “i.” And Apple seems to have been building up to the iCloudBook for a long time now. They suspiciously shaved a few gigabytes from the size of Mac OS despite the crazy-stupid-low price of disk storage, and they’ve emphatically promoted full-screen app user interfaces at the API level, an option which makes the iCloudBook’s weird little 11-inch display way more practical.

But iCloud was the critical missing piece, the planet which astronomers couldn’t yet see but had calculated must exist, based on its measurable gravitational effect on observable bodies.

**** The Therapist Will See You Now, Via The Web <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/technology/bringing-therapists-to-patients-via-the-web.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Randall Stross, New York Times

**** Fiction Takes You To Places That Life Can't <http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/philip-hensher/philip-hensher-fiction-takes-you-to-places-that-life-cant-2309538.html>
Philip Hensher, The Independent

Fiction won't tell you the whole story, but it will take you to places that life won't – Sicilian ducal houses, 13th-century convents, cities in Calvino that never existed. And sometimes with a shock of recognition, you meet in real life a friend from a book.

**** Why Foster Boy Has To Go Back To Malaysia: Halimah <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110710-0000028/Why-foster-boy-has-to-go-back-to-Malaysia--Halimah>
Sara Grosse, Today

Responding to a question at a dialogue session with Republic Polytechnic students yesterday, Mdm Halimah said it is the Malaysian biological mother who has parental rights over the four-year-old child.

"We understand the foster mother's position but at the same time we also have to respect the mother's wishes, we have to respect that this child is a Malaysian citizen. He has to go back. The Malaysian welfare department is interested in his welfare (and) that he is being taken care of by the Malaysian welfare department until they sort out details."

**** TKL: Ain’t NTUC & PAP Like “Lips To Teeth”? <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/tkl-aint-ntuc-pap-like-lips-to-teeth/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

NTUC and PAP are like “lips to teeth”, and TKL had high positions in both organisations.

**** Scholarship Anger <http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/scholarship-anger/>
Political Writings

**** Producers Tap Into Singapore Funds <http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118039596?refCatId=19>
Clifford Coonan, Variety

Singapore's lavish film funds have become the stuff of Asian biz legend. The city-state's Media Development Authority has earmarked a great deal of coin for the making of movies, but the take-up has been slow so far.

**** Helping SMEs Manage Costs <http://yeejj.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/managing-businesscost/>
Yee Jenn Jong

As we aim to transit our economy and build up productivity, we should help businesses by slowing down some of the cost increases. Rental is one area the government can help. However, with more JTC spaces pushed into ownership and management by commercially-driven REITS, rentals are bound to go up.

**** Guilt By Public Opinion <http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/guilt-by-public-opinion/>
Andrew Loh

You simply cannot have mandatory killing of an individual when your police and justice and legal systems are imperfect, which they will always be.

I truly hope the government will swallow its pride and have the courage to put a stop to these state-sanctioned murders.

And we as members of the public should not be too quick to jump to conclusions and pronounce guilt on someone just because our media – and the courts – say they are guilty.

**** Govt Turning To Private Sector For Healthcare <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/govt-turning-private-sector-healthcare-033033732.html>
Yahoo!

**** Nicole Seah Is Truly Popular :-D <http://singaporegirl.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/nicole-seah-is-truly-popular-d/>
Food Fuels Me To Talk...

**** Third Town Council Management Report Is Politically Motivated Says Chiam See Tong <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/07/third-town-council-management-report-is-politically-motivated-says-chiam-see-tong/>
Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

**** Young PAP Post ‘Childish’ Video Attacking WP On Facebook <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/07/10/young-pap-post-childish-video-attacking-wp-on-facebook/>
The Temasek Review

It appears that Young PAP is being run by a group of young immature zealots who are completely clueless about engaging netizens in cyberspace.

**** Lyrics Of Modified Lady Gaga Song To Be Removed From NDP Booklet <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1140061/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

**** Television May Be Game-changer <http://www.todayonline.com/Commentary/EDC110711-0000031/Television-may-be-game-changer>
Eugene Tan, Today

The biggest challenge for the candidates is to manage voters' perceptions. Too much focus on one's supposed "independence" of the government is not helpful as it could spark concerns of partisanship or hidden agendas. At the same time, candidates will have to carefully evaluate whether to seek or accept endorsements from political parties, civic, business and professional bodies.

See also: Presidential Election: More Effective Use Of TV [http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110711-0000010/Presidential-Election--More-effective-use-of-TV] by Kawn Jin Yao.

**** Town Council Management Report Is Politically Motivated, Says Chiam <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110711-0000049/Town-council-management-report-is-politically-motivated,-says-Chiam>
Tan Weizhen, Today

When asked to respond to Mr Chiam's statement, Potong Pasir MP Sitoh Yih Pin reiterated that the "most important thing now is for us to move forward and improve the living conditions of Potong Pasir residents".

"We also have to ... improve the overall maintenance of the town council," said Mr Sitoh. He added that a working committee was formed last month to look into "why the families are in arrears".

**** Standing Up For Singapore <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/play/standing-singapore-461267>
Luke Clark, CNNGo

In a nation-state derided for being serious and self-censoring, a new wave of funny guys is now willing to stand up and make fun of themselves, their mothers and their people -- whether they’re ready for it or not. Popularized in London and New York, while the scene is still small in the Lion City, open mike comedy has been growing steadily and Singapore’s new generation of comedians are using the opportunity to riff off each other.