[MyAppleMenu] Dec 24, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Dec 24 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Apple Outlines International iTunes In The Cloud Compatibility <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/12/apple-outlines-international-itunes-in-the-cloud-compatibility.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** Hands On: Five Podcast Apps That Improve On iOS Functionality <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/12/five-podcast-apps-duplicateand-improve-onios-functionality.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Iljitsch Van Beijnum, Ars Technica

As a podcast addict, I'm excited to see so many good ideas in this area. Unfortunately, those ideas are spread over many different applications, which are all still a bit rough around the edges. Still, I have no trouble saying it's worth spending a couple of bucks on any of these four apps for anyone who is more than the most casual of podcast listeners—and those people should probably just use Stitcher. But Pocket Casts and Instacast seem to be the strongest contenders at this time. However, the ability to manage large number of episodes on the computer is also compelling, so I'm not banishing iTunes from my podcasting life just yet either.

**** Photo Stream And Multiple iPhoto Libraries <http://tidbits.com/article/12690?rss>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

If you want to copy your iPhoto library to another Mac, or to another user account on the same Mac, disconnect it from your Photo Stream first. Although Photo Stream can connect to multiple Macs, it gets confused when you move an already-connected iPhoto library among Macs.

**** This Is Why Apple's iPad Rules The Tablet Market <http://blogs.computerworld.com/19481/this_is_why_apples_ipad_rules_the_tablet_market>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

**** The Collector <http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/magazine/98537/collector-barry-landau-memorabilia-theft?passthru=ZmFlZDRjODg3ZDA0ZGRmZWNlODkyZDgyZDE3ODMxMDY>
Eliza Gray, The New Republic

Did a famed connoisseur of political memorabilia commit an audacious crime?

**** Their Noonday Demons, And Ours <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/books/review/their-noonday-demons-and-ours.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all>
John Plotz, New York Times

By some miracle, you set aside a day to tackle that project you can’t seem to finish in the office. You close the door, boot up your laptop, open the right file and . . . five minutes later catch yourself thinking about dinner. By 10 a.m., you’re staring at the wall, even squinting at it between your fingertips. Is this day 50 hours long? Soon, you fall into a light, unsatisfying sleep and awake dizzy or with a pounding headache; all your limbs feel weighed down. At which point, most likely around noon, you commit a fatal error: leaving the room. I’ll just garden for a bit, you tell yourself, or do a little charity work. Hmmm, I wonder if my friend Gregory is around?

**** Carols In King's <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/dec/23/carols-kings-anne-stevenson-poem?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Anne Stevenson, The Guardian

**** No Floods In Orchard Rd, Just 'Ponding': PUB <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111224-0000068/No-floods-in-Orchard-Rd,-just-ponding--PUB>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

While the total recorded rainfall at Orchard Road was 152.8mm, PUB said "there was no flooding at Orchard Road". "However, water ponded at the open area of Liat Towers, the underpass between Lucky Plaza and Ngee Ann City, and the basement of Lucky Plaza due to the sustained heavy downpour," it added.

**** MRT And The Role Of LTA Policies <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111224-0000028/MRT-and-the-role-of-LTA-policies>
Toh Beng Guan, Today

Whereas with the Mass Rapid Transit, we have put all the eggs in one basket, which means it has to be 99.99 per cent reliable.

To make matters worse, we have accepted a slow recovery time when things go wrong. But 30 minutes to put buses into operation is unacceptable.

**** Unconstructive Comparisons <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_748301.html>
Padmini Kesavapany, Straits Times

The focus should be to make improvements to the system while accepting that constructive criticism is the way to achieve perfection.

**** Appalled, But... <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_748310.html>
Thara Rubini Gopalan, Straits Times

In an age where young Singaporeans are being told to be aware of their racially insensitive remarks when posting in cyberspace, this sets back the drive towards achieving racial harmony.

**** Survivor MRT Island <http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2011/12/24/survivor-mrt-island/>
Political Writings

**** 积水再涌进烈大厦商店 20万元水闸挡不了 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp111224_010.shtml>
黄伟曼, 联合早报

烈大厦耗资20多万元建造的防水闸,昨天豪雨中派不上用场,积水再次涌进店里,业主哭笑不得。

“虽然很难有直接的联系,但我相信乌节路垫高以后,流水可能更快地流向周边的大厦。”

**** 'Blame The Overseas Operators' For Data Bill Shocks, Say Experts <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_748448.html>
Daryl Chin, Straits Times

One analyst even added that in countries where there are dominant players with the market power to dictate 'take it or leave it' prices, telcos can earn more than 90 per cent profit.

**** Transport System Starts To Malfunction <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2011/12/24/columnists/insightdownsouth/10149582&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

The latest crisis is public transport, which has been getting intolerably overcrowded in recent years. It has joined a few other over-burdened services like public housing and healthcare facilities.

**** Seng Han Thong's Offensive Comment Reflection Of PAP Outlook <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/5089-seng-han-thongs-offensive-comment-reflection-of-pap-outlook>
Singapore Democratic Party

The PAP Government's rhetoric about racial harmony does not quite match its actions. The views expressed by the party's leader and members give us a valuable insight into the real thinking and prejudices of the party.

Discrimination - in all forms - has been a scourge on humanity. It has wrought much misery on the human race including bringing about wars, instituting slavery and causing hate-crimes. As long as we do not view our fellow human beings as equals and celebrate our diversity, we will continue to live in spiritual poverty and perpetuating discrimination.

The SDP calls on the PAP and it members to reject racism and other forms of discrimination and genuinely embrace cultural diversity instead of merely paying lip-service to it.

**** A Wake-up Call For Singapore's MRT Authorities <http://www.nst.com.my/opinion/columnist/a-wake-up-call-for-singapore-s-mrt-authorities-1.23515>
New Straits Times

**** Malay MPs Criticise Seng Han Thong's Remarks On Train Drivers <http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-3/Story/STIStory_748431.html>
Toh Yong Chuan, Straits Times

Mr Zainal Sapari and Mr Zaqy Mohamad made separate postings on Facebook on Friday that distanced themselves from Mr Seng's comments that the lack of proficiency in English of Malay and Indian train drivers deterred them from making train announcements.

**** MP Seng Han Thong Apologises To NTWU <http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/339-mp-seng-han-thong-apologises-to-ntwu>
Publichouse.sg

**** GPC Calls For Independence In Train Disruption Inquiry <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1173177/1/.html>
Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

Committee Chairman Cedric Foo has filed a parliamentary question asking the Prime Minister to look into this. Speaking to Channel NewsAsia, he said neither his committee or SMRT should sit on the panel to ensure its independence.

**** Seng Han Thong Isn't Racist, Says Fellow MP <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1173178/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Mr Inderjit agreed that Mr Seng's comments were "uncalled for" and are "not fair to the minority races." He said even if Mr Seng was stating what he had heard, as a public figure he should have been more discerning and mindful of the multi-racial fabric of Singapore society.

**** M'sia-S'pore Ties At Its Best Ever: Envoy <http://www.thesundaily.my/news/248053>
The Sun

**** Significant Part Attributed To MP Seng Han Thong Is False: Shanmugam <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1173191/1/.html>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

Mr Shanmugam added that the article by The Online Citizen was false. He said it attributed to Mr Seng the opposite of what he had said.

**** Seng Han Thong, Alternative Media And Choosing Sides <http://journalism.sg/2011/12/24/seng-han-thong-alternative-media-and-choosing-sides/>
Cherian George, Journalism.sg

I think the stakes are higher when it comes to reporting offence to racial and religious sensibilities. For alternative media that wish to make a difference in this area, which I hope TOC does, it is wiser to be extra scrupulous in order to maintain one’s credibility.