[MyAppleMenu] Sep 29, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 29 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Jeff Bewkes: Beware Of Apple, Amazon Deals <http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i677c428c4dc16c2cf101f44f7334eaf1>
Mimi Turner, Hollywood Reporter

Time Warner boss Jeff Bewkes told British media execs that television is entering a second golden age of creativity and reward but warned against the danger of low-cost digital giveaways.

**** Apple: Cook Not Going To Hp <http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2010/09/28/apple-cook-not-going-to-hp/>
Tiernan Ray, Barron's

Not true, says Gleacher & Co.’s Brian Marshall, who follows Apple. He called me a short while ago to say he’d just run into Tim Cook in Palo Alto, had coffee, and asked him about the rumor. “Tim Cook will not be going to HP, he loves Apple,” Marshall tells me Cook told him.

**** Apple, Microsoft, Dell And H.P. <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=046f0e14996b3f8e8017e22f2e1c085f>
Ashlee Vance, New York Times

Back in May, Apple edged past Microsoft as the most valuable technology company. And, my oh my, has Apple stretched its lead since then.

**** Rumor Of COO Departure Affects Apple's Stock Prices <http://iphone.tmcnet.com/topics/iphone/articles/104967-rumor-coo-departure-affects-apples-stock-prices.htm>
Beecher Tuttle, TMCnet

Although a number of analysts immediately dismissed the rumor, noting that they severely doubted that Cook would leave Apple, hundreds of investors tried to get ahead of the story.

**** Italy To Apple: Remove "Mafia, Pizza" App <http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/28/world/main6908574.shtml>
Associated Press

Italy's tourism minister has taken offense with how Apple's "What country" app describes her nation.

**** Back On Track With My Beautiful Machine <http://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/technews/198710/back-on-track-with-my-beautiful-machine>
Graham K. Rogers, Bangkok Post

While I was able to restore these computers fairly quickly to a running state with Time Machine, I know that some prefer software that clones the hard disk, like Mike Bombich's Carbon Copy Cloner. Whether the cause of my recent problems with this computer was the hard disk, graphics switching, or a faulty sudden motion sensor (as some have suggested), we may never know. I am back on track with productivity. Warily.

**** Why Time Machine Is Broken <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/why-time-machine-is-broken/1097>
Robin Harris, ZDNet

If you receive and keep a lot of e-mail, download and keep a lot of content or perform large-file I/O intensive work - video, Photoshop, music - you’ll find that Time Machine has a noticeable and perhaps unacceptable impact on system performance.

**** Why I Won't Stop Writing About Apple And Google <http://www.slate.com/id/2268976/?from=rss>
Farhad Manjoo, Slate Magazine

Sure, I write about Apple and Google more than any other companies, but I don't think my coverage—nor the coverage of the tech press in general—is unwarranted. Apple and Google are by far the most interesting and important companies in the industry; indeed, you could argue they're the most innovative companies in the country.

**** Apple TV Under The Hood: First Look <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/09/28/appletv-under-the-hood-first-look/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

Looking at an OS dump doesn't always translate to the final live interaction and exploration experience but it does offer tantalizing hints as to what is to come and what will be possible for those willing to start programming and hacking. In this case, Apple TV's sneak peek provides two promises. First, that the system itself will be somewhat customizable and programmable for people who wish to extend its use beyond the built-in features. Second, that we're looking at the future of OS X installs. Apple TV's iOS shows that non-mobile devices without touch screens can leverage iOS's newer, more modern frameworks without sacrificing general computability.

**** Apple Releases Remote 2.0 For iPhone And iPad <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=953b54b829f8ca75d6a4782fd5e14c0d>
David Chartier, Macworld

Remote 2.0 brings a handful of big features, not the least of which is a long-awaited interface designed for the iPad. Using the iPad’s large amount of screen real estate, Remote can offer an interface for controlling media over one’s home network that looks much like the tablet’s iPod app, complete with music album and video thumbnails and a complete list of your playlists. It also features a gestures tab for controlling an Apple TV with iOS-like flick and drag motions.

**** First Look: Outlook 2011 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=c9a2c333f49f7a30efd3a5048326357f>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

**** Apple Extends Its Legal Battle With Nokia Into The UK <http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click.phdo?i=7b00f2370a92224bc185c02d40c48bfb>
AppleInsider

Apple has sued Nokia in Britain, accusing the Finnish smartphone maker of violating nine patents it owns and extending the legal battle between the two companies.

**** Review: Microsoft Messenger And Communicator 2011 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=20e9f23c2c1dbfcc2ec31e19c1053741>
John C. Welch, Macworld

Since Messenger comes free with Office or as a free download, there’s no real risk involved. If you find a need for it, you come out ahead. If not, you’re only out a bit of time and disk space, and you can get the latter back. But if you don’t have Messenger-specific needs, there’s little reason to use the application.

**** China Unicom Sells 100,000 iPhone 4s In Four Days <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/09/29/china-unicom-sells-100-000-iphone-4s-in-four-days/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

**** In Israel, A Pork Cookbook Challenges A Taboo <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/dining/29trayf.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jeffrey Yoskowitz, New York Times

Dr. Landau, a 61-year-old retired cardiologist and food writer from Tel Aviv, likes pork and thinks there are many Israelis who shy from it not so much because it’s taboo, but because they don’t know how to prepare it. “People are reluctant to cook pork at home,” said Dr. Landau, who is not an observant Jew. “I want to make it easier for chefs and personal cooks to bring it home and to the menus. If that happens, I’ll be more than happy.”

**** Doggy Heaven <http://www.slate.com/id/2268482/>
Colin Pope, Slate Magazine

**** What Are Books Good For? <http://chronicle.com/article/What-Are-Books-Good-For-/124563>
William Germano, Chronicle Of Higher Education

I've been wondering lately when books became the enemy. Scholars have always been people of the book, so it seems wrong that the faithful companion has been put on the defensive. Part of the problem is knowing what we mean exactly when we say "book." It's a slippery term for a format, a technology, a historical construct, and something else as well.

**** No By-election For Ang Mo Kio GRC <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1083918/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

The government has not considered holding a by-election in Ang Mo Kio GRC, following the death of fellow MP Dr Balaji Sadasivan, prime minister Lee Hsien Loong told reporters. The remaining five MPs will help to look after Cheng San-Seletar ward, said Mr Lee, adding: "I see no difficulty."

**** YOG Volunteer Got F1 Ticket A Day After The Race <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC100929-0000057/YOG-volunteer-got-F1-ticket-a-day-after-the-race>
Yang Rui, Today

It seems that the YOG organisers have forgotten about SingPost's five-day only mail delivery service. If most or all of the 400 tickets were delivered late such as was my case, this is a huge amount of money wasted.

**** Fix Commuter-unfriendly Anomalies <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_584374.html>
Paula Tan, Straits Times

**** Lift GIC's Cloud Of Opacity <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100929-0000078/Lift-GICs-cloud-of-opacity>
Conrad Raj, Today

Isn't it time we know how large Singapore's largest sovereign wealth fund is and how well it really did?

**** Mahathir Vs Lee Kuan Yew : Senility Comparisons? <http://scwatch.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/mahathir-vs-lee-kuan-yew-senility-comparisons/>
Scwatch

What a comparison and what a shame ….. especially if one is Malaysian.

**** Solving The Mystery Of The Benevolent Autocrat <http://aidwatchers.com/2010/09/solving-the-mystery-of-the-benevolent-autocrat/>
Aid Watch

**** 是公积金,不是公济金 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100929_008.shtml>
李起良, 联合早报

既然政府愿意给予各类补贴,我们当然乐意接受,但希望不要与公积金挂钩。这样我们的受惠就更实际,不用望梅止渴,政府也可避开瓜田李下所可能带来的嫌疑。

**** 新马合作双赢不能独喊 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100929_003.shtml>
翁德生, 联合早报

能抛开历史包袱,抛开小眼睛小鼻子心态,则解决所有的新马双边课题指日可待。

**** Some Lower-Income Workers Not Included In Workfare <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/09/some-lower-income-workers-not-included-in-workfare/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** 李资政:有人贪污就会被检控 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100929_014.shtml>
郭丽娟, 联合早报

新加坡所建立的制度不是假设没人会贪污,而是确保一旦有人贪污受贿,必会被揭发并面对处罚。内阁资政李光耀昨天在“俄罗斯—新加坡商业论坛”的一场对话会上指出,我国政府所建立起来的廉洁制度,是新加坡的主要优势之一,这让企业家更有信心到这里经商和投资。

**** Multi-million Dollar Fraud At SLA <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100929-0000146/Multi-million-dollar-fraud-at-SLA>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

In what could be the biggest fraud case in the Civil Service, two individuals are suspected to have conspired with several others to cheat the Singapore Land Authority (SLA) of almost $12 million over a two-year period.

**** MCYS Says Sorry To YOG Volunteers For Latest Gaffe <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/09/29/mcys-apologises-to-yog-volunteers-for-latest-gaffe>
Faris, Yahoo!

The Ministry of Communications, Youth and Sports (MCYS) has apologised again for its latest blunder. Although MCYS did not reveal the exact number of volunteers affected by the incident, close to S$9,000 worth of F1 race tickets (30xS$298) was wasted because the tickets were stuck in the mail.

**** GIC Says Emerging Market Private Equity, Property Look Better Than Stocks <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-29/gic-says-emerging-market-private-equity-property-look-better-than-stocks.html>
Netty Ismail, Bloomberg

Government of Singapore Investment Corp., manager of more than $100 billion of reserves, said real estate and private equity in emerging economies will present more rewarding opportunities than equity markets.

**** Competition Of Ideas Is Needed For A Workable Democracy <http://www.raviphilemon.net/2010/09/competition-of-ideas-is-needed-for.html>
Ravi Philemon

It is precisely because the elected officials in a parliamentary democracy forms both the legislature and the executive powers, that vigourous competition of ideas by various parties, becomes absolutely essential. For by voting for competing ideas, the electorate express the kind of future they want for their country.

**** Minimum Wage <http://votingrp.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/minimum-wage/>
VotingRP

The Reform Party is committed to the introduction of a minimum wage. We also want restrictions on the entry of foreign labour where Singaporeans already have the necessary skills.

**** No R-21 Films To Be Screened In HDB Heartland Cinemas: MICA <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1084044/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The government has accepted over 80 per cent of the recommendations made by the Censorship Review Committee. However, The information, communication and the arts ministry (MICA) said it would not allow R-21 films to be screened in the HDB heartland cinemas, or the sale of R-21 videos.

**** Government Responds To Censorship Review Committee's Recommendations <http://app.mica.gov.sg/Default.aspx?tabid=36&ctl=Details&mid=539&ItemID=1204>
Ministry Of Information, Communications And The Arts, Singapore Government

The Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts (MICA) agrees with the Censorship Review Committee (CRC) on the fundamental principles that should guide content regulation. MICA accepts most of the recommendations made by the CRC. These are timely recommendations which would help our content regulation policies and standards keep pace with the evolving media landscape and societal changes.

**** 100 Website Ban Stays <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_584521.html>
Lai Han-Wei, Straits Times

The symbolic ban on 100 websites will stay to reflect the community's stand against objectionable web content, the Ministry of Information, Communication and the Arts (Mica) said on Wednesday.

**** Singapore Resists Calls To Liberalize Parts Of Censorship Rules <http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100929-702966.html>
Chun Han Wong, Dow Jones

Singapore has resisted calls from a government-appointed panel to liberalize parts of its censorship regime, such as ending a symbolic 100-website ban and easing rules on distributing R-rated films, a government minister said Wednesday.

**** Singapore To Impose Internet Filters For Undesirable Websites <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=531337>
Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama

In a move to strengthen the ban on undesirable websites, the Singapore Government will direct internet service providers (ISPs) to provide internet filters to local users.

**** Censorship Review Committee's Recommendations No Surprise: Observers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1084131/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie and Evelyn Lam, Channel NewsAsia