[MyAppleMenu] Sep 28, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 28 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** TotalFinder: What Mac's Finder Should Have Been <http://www.macstories.net/mac/totalfinder-what-macs-finder-should-have-been/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

The two main features of the app are tabbed navigation and dual-pane mode: there’s not really much to explain, as they work like you expect.

**** Why Camino Is The Mac Browser We Want To Use But Don't <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/camino-the-mac-browser-we-want-to-use-but-dont/>
Alexis Kayhill, Mac360

In the growing list of Mac browsers, Camino is a pure love hate relationship. You either love Camino, or you hate it. Alright. Maybe hate is too strong. Spell it ambivalent instead.

**** Is iTunes Bloated? <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11615?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Kirk McElhearn, TidBITS

I suspect that people accuse iTunes of being bloated because it has evolved from a simple music player into a complex media and device management program designed to meet the needs of hundreds of millions of users. To become more comfortable with iTunes, therefore, may require learning a bit more about how it works in order to master those features you use every day and turn off those you don't.

**** Lawsuit Claims Apple's iTunes Video Content Violates Patent <http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click.phdo?i=8b32733aec79d2d384b302f4989a79d2>
AppleInsider

A new lawsuit takes aim at Apple's delivery of movies, TV shows and other videos through iTunes, alleging that the service is in violation of a patent owned by Multi-Format Inc.

**** HyperDock Brings Window Previews, Other Dock Enhancements To OS X <http://lifehacker.com/5649024/hyperdock-brings-window-previews-other-dock-enhancements-to-os-x>
Whitson Gordon, Lifehacker

If you wish you had Windows' Aero Peek-like window previews in OS X's Dock, free app HyperDock brings them to OS X, along with other window management features.

**** What Top App Developers Really Think Of The App Stores <http://venturebeat.com/2010/09/27/app-developers-app-approval-open-first/>
Ciara Byrne, VentureBeat

App developers want approvals by the big mobile players who manage app stores to happen much faster and more transparently, a new study set to be released this week found.

**** Why So Quiet On Apple Decision? <http://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2010/09/27/why-so-quiet-on-apple-decision/>
Peppi Kiviniemi, Wall Street Journal

So given that everyone is feeling good about the result, why was the news released on a Saturday morning, when no one was watching?

**** Review: Tagalicious For iTunes Metadata, Artwork, And Lyrics <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/09/27/tuaw-review-tagalicious-for-itunes-metadata-artwork-and-lyric/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

**** Apple Using Retail Stores To Target SMB Market <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/apple-using-retail-stores-to-target-smb-market/8291?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

A new sign of greater acceptance by business customers of Apple and the Macintosh is Cupertino’s growing interest in that once 100 percent PC market. Apple is expanding its sales support operation to businesses as well as adding business-centric sections to its retail stores.

**** Apple Has Already Approved The Official Google Voice App For iPhone, Expect It Soon <http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/27/google-voice-iphone-3/>
Jason Kincaid, TechCrunch

The App Store review office at 1 Infinite Loop has officially frozen over: we’ve gotten word that the official Google Voice application is on its way to the iPhone in the next few weeks. In fact, we’ve heard from a source close to Google that it’s already been approved — Google just needs to revamp the application to work with the iPhone 4 and iOS’s multitasking capabilities.

**** IOS 4.1 Version Of Apple TV Firmware Posted, Jailbroken <http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click.phdo?i=f5d5db279b5509deaf21d3699c73f119>
AppleInsider

Hackers have succeeding in running a jailbreak exploit for a newly posted Apple TV iOS 4.1 firmware file.

**** Restart Safari Plug-ins, Not Safari <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=741285089728e7cb57af0bfe9f1602ea>
Whitson Gordon, Macworld

**** Q&A: When Ping Is Not Your Thing <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=b65ea2e025f580982401816a9bc66d55>
J.D. Biersdorfer, New York Times

How do I get rid of my Ping profile? There’s no obvious Delete option in the profile settings.

**** Great, Now Apple Is Invading My Intestines <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27083_3-20017794-247.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Elizabeth Armstrong Moore , CNET

For just $1.99, we can now monitor our output without that up-close-and-personal toilet shelf.

**** Review: Microsoft Word For Mac 2011 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=df048137919eb0ff53ac8c2a5323d27a>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

Microsoft Word for Mac no longer feels like a second-string word processing program in the Microsoft Office suite. It is in fact a powerful tool for creating all your personal and business documents and for collaborating with others. More importantly, Word 2011 now makes it possible to insert a Mac into nearly any business environment and offer Mac users the same set of features found in Word for Windows, without compromise.

**** Review: Microsoft PowerPoint For Mac 2011 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=20a8d7bc7664c4acae158ebb25c8fb7b>
Franklin N. Tessler, Macworld

PowerPoint for Mac 2011 boasts more than a handful of worthwhile improvements, including greatly enhanced support for QuickTime movies, path animations, features for sharing and collaboration, and an improved interface. Despite a handful of miscues, it’s Microsoft’s strongest upgrade of the program since 2004. If you’re using an earlier version, updating to PowerPoint 2011 should be an easy decision.

**** Review: Microsoft Excel For Mac 2011 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=91f1148eb95983d525f148e4d8dcdc0c>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

he new interface and improved functionality make short work of even large projects, while the protection and sharing features make it easier to work with others—both on the Mac and on that “other” platform. There are only a few negatives with Excel 2011. I feel scrolling has been overly slowed down, the live window resizing is jumpy, and the lack of support for Services is troubling, as that's an OS X feature that I rely on daily. However, these things are not big enough issues to really affect Excel's performance and features—the program just works, and has many new features and improvements that spreadsheet users have been asking for. Excel 2011 is a solid program for anyone whose work involves a heavy dose of spreadsheet duty.

**** Mac Gems: DockView 1.37 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=a66362272f37d6f27eed4fe3eea3f94b>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

DockView offers an Aero Peek-like alternative for Mac OS X, but one that offers more features than Windows or the Dock.

**** Hearing Impaired? Steering Wheel Can Guide You <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27083_3-20017741-247.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Elizabeth Armstrong Moore, CNET

Researchers at the University of Utah have been studying devices on steering wheels that guide drivers by pulling skin on index fingers to the left or the right, and are giving the technology two thumbs up.

**** Dickens in Lagos <http://www.laphamsquarterly.org/essays/dickens-in-lagos.php?page=all>
George Packer, Lapham's Quarterly

Two years ago in Rangoon, I met a toothpick-thin, boisterous young Burmese man called Somerset. He had conferred this nickname on himself at age sixteen, after renting a collection of stories by W. Somerset Maugham from one of the bookstalls on Pansodan Road. By memorizing sentences from the collection, Somerset taught himself a somewhat formal and archaic English. Then he moved on to Charles Dickens.

**** Why My Kids Watched Me Give Birth <http://www.salon.com/life/new_mom_confessions/index.html?story=/mwt/feature/2010/09/27/making_daughters_watch_me_give_birth>
Madeline Holler, Salon

I wanted them to witness the pain and emotion of life. Then I started screaming -- and my daughter started crying.

**** Retailers Say Shopper-traffic Dipped The Worst In Singapore F1's 3-year Run <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1083717/1/.html>
Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

Some retailers in malls affected by road closures because of the Singapore Grand Prix have complained that shopper-traffic during the Formula One weekend dipped the worst in the event's three-year run.

This was despite the Circle Line rail network offering shoppers a new access to Marina Bay.

**** GIC To Be More Flexible, Says Emerging Economies To Outperform <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-09-27/gic-to-be-more-flexible-says-emerging-economies-to-outperform.html>
Netty Ismail and Joyce Koh, Bloomberg

Government of Singapore Investment Corp., manager of more than $100 billion of reserves, will be able to more quickly adjust the make-up of its assets and will focus on emerging markets as they outpace developed economies.

The fund, with the approval of the board, will be free to change its asset allocation over the medium term, or within five years, to “respond more flexibly to significant risks or opportunities,” chief investment officer Ng Kok Song said in the annual report yesterday.

**** Singapore Looks To China For Food Security <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/business/global/28iht-rbofsing.html?_r=1&src=busln>
Sonia Kolesnikov-Jessop, New York Times

Singapore is eyeing a gigantic farming project in northeast China that could help the small, densely populated city-state diversify its food supplies, while offering export opportunities for its expertise in food safety and investment opportunities for its businesses.

**** Affordable French Restaurants In Singapore <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/eat/affordable-french-fare-812924>
CNNGo

**** 无须忧虑R21级电影入侵邻里 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100928_006.shtml>
林德花, 联合早报

很多人一听到R21的限制级电影,便以有色眼光来看它,其实这类电影绝非大家想象中的那么低级不堪,纯粹以色情暴力取胜。我曾经为了一部由裴勇俊主演的韩国佳片,被迫独自去长江戏院和寂寞的老男人共坐同观,只因为它是R21。最近笔者也去看了《囡囡》,学到的不是性爱技巧,而是香港社会道德的沦落。

**** Out In The Street <http://www.trippyfood.com/2010/09/27/out-in-the-street/>
TrippyFood.com

The infant food truck has only been in operation since mid-September of 2010 according to Simon, Street Hawker’s manager. The truck is small with glass all the way across the business side, giving the impression of a street stall with wheels and leaving no room for doubt that they dish up “Singaporean Home Cooking” as advertised.

**** The Price For Mas Selamat Kastari <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2010/09/price-for-mas-selamat-kastari.html>
Musings From the Lion City

Malaysia had already rejected Singapore’s request to extradite Mas Selamat but after 18 months of saying “No,” Malaysia suddenly announced that they will deport him back to Singapore. In the same week when the land deal was made.

A coincidence that has nothing to do with the land deal? I don’t think so.

**** The Singapore Government Is Trying To Pull A Bernie <http://fakebernie.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/the-singapore-government-is-trying-to-pull-a-bernie/>
Fake Bernie Ecclestone

This is not how it’s supposed to go. Race organisers are supposed to grovel and prostrate themselves, after which I extract extraordinary sums from them in return for the honour to host the ultimate event for a number of years determined by me. If they behave.

**** Selamat Datang Ke Singapura <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2010/09/selamat-datang-ke-singapura.html>
Singapore Notes

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong's parsimonious one word "No" answer to the obvious query about the link between the perceived payola and the long overdue prisoner extradition speaks volumes.

**** Yale Professor Questions If Nus Is Worth ‘Getting Into Bed’ With <http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=7794>
The Kent Ridge Common

Political topics in Singapore, quite frankly, enjoy a no-holds barred discussion in NUS.

**** The Airport Scene - Time To Change Those American Welcome Mats <http://whirledview.typepad.com/whirledview/2010/09/theairportscene-timetochangethosewelcomemats.html>
Whirled View

Singapore’s Lee Kuan Yew, the British educated Chinese lawyer who developed that Southeast Asian underdeveloped city-state into one of the world’s top economies and the regional financial center (and whose authoritarian model of an economically well managed police state - is used as a model by China today) stated years ago that one of the first projects a country should undertake to attract foreign capital to aid in its development was to build a first class airport and high speed roads and establish well regulated and clean transportation (e.g. an efficient and modern subway and taxis with functioning meters) that whisked travelers into the capital. If you’ve ever flown into or out of Singapore, you know what he meant. The investment paid off in spades for that small island state.

**** Singapore Gay Advocacy Group Questions Use Of Section 377A <http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/2010/09/27/10325.singapore-gay-advocacy-group-questions-use-of-section-377a>
Fridae

Despite the prime minister’s promise not to proactively enforce Section 377A which criminalises sex between men, a man is facing charges under the law while another two were convicted last week.

**** Campaigning Has Begun <http://lohandbehold.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/campaigning-has-begun/>
Loh And Behold

**** Singapore's GIC Says No Rush To Sell Citi, UBS Stakes-Report <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSSGE68Q0M120100928>
Kevin Lim, Reuters

Singapore sovereign wealth fund GIC is in no hurry to reduce its stakes in Citigroup and UBS as it believes the worst is over for both lenders, the Business Times reported on Tuesday.

**** Singapore Charity Uses Happy Coffins To Celebrate Life <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/45599>
AFP

A Singapore charity on Tuesday announced the winners of an international art competition to design "happy coffins" to encourage the elderly and dying to celebrate life.

**** Free Speech A Concern For Yale-Singapore College <http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2010/sep/28/free-speech-a-concern-for-yale-singapore-college/>
Nora Caplan-Bricker, Yale Daily News

The University of Warwick in England, for instance, decided not to build an undergraduate campus in Singapore in 2005 after learning that the government would not tolerate being negatively portrayed in academic reports. Johns Hopkins University also closed a research facility in Singapore following a falling out with the country’s government. James Scott, a Sterling Professor of political science who also serves on the board of NUS’s Asian Research Institute, said he is worried Yale could also suffer an embarrassment if it goes ahead with this project but is eventually forced to abandon it if its freedom is constrained.

**** Chief Justice Speaks About Judicial Review <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/chief-justice-speaks-about-judicial-review>
Yawning Bread

The biggest problem in Singapore is not that our civil servants abuse their power or fail to follow correct procedure — it can happen occasionally, but there is no systemic failure. Instead it is politicians who systematically abuse their power in the making and the legislating of policy.

**** Apple Peel, Which Turns iPods Into iPhones, Coming To US <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9188298/Apple_Peel_which_turns_iPods_into_iPhones_coming_to_US>
Michael Kan, IDG News Service

The Apple Peel 520, a Chinese-developed product that drew the media's attention for being able to turn an iPod Touch into an iPhone-like device, is coming to America.

**** Android Paid Apps Coming To Hong Kong And Singapore <http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/09/28/android-paid-apps-coming-to-hong-kong-and-singapore/>
John Chan, CNET

**** A Trigonometric Problem <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/45617?tid=14>
Tay Tian Yan, Sin Chew Jit Poh

Singapore was severely bruised by the Mat Selamat escape, and with the good gesture from Malaysia now, Singapore's attitude towards the country will change.