[MyAppleMenu] Sep 25, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 25 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Safari Vulnerable To AutoFill Security Bug (again) <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=531fdc38fe61f0760e410e07f2dedae7>
Nick Mediati, PC World

The new version of this hack is less “automatic” than the initial one, according to Grossman, but a hacker just needs to perform a little social engineering to get a hapless Web user to give up their personal details.

**** Confirmed: No FaceTime In Parts Of The Middle East <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/09/24/confirmed-no-facetime-in-the-middle-east/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

**** Apple Goes After The Camera Market Too <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=9bd8e05ff857fcb6aef673e78e5d5aed>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

**** iTunes Update Adds Ping Sidebar And Evil Ping Buttons <http://www.mcelhearn.com/2010/09/25/itunes-update-adds-ping-sidebar-and-evil-ping-buttons/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

**** EU To Drop Apple Probes After Firm's Policy Changes <http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE68O0S420100925>
Reuters

EU antitrust regulators will scrap two investigations into Apple Inc's iPhone after the company allowed cross-border repair services and eased restrictions on applications for its popular smartphone.

**** Apple, Google, Intel, Other Tech Firms Admit Secret ... <http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_16166037>
Patrick May, Mike Swift and John Boudreau, San Jose Mercury News

It was, according to the federal complaint, the chummiest of secret clubs among Silicon Valley's corporate elite. The membership rules were simple: Don't cold-call any of our employees with job offers and we won't cold-call any of yours.

The members, according to documents released Friday by the Department of Justice, included the cream of the crop: Apple, Adobe Systems, Google, Intel, Intuit and Pixar.

**** Google 'Recently Extended' Apple Search Deal <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/24/schmidt_on_apple/>

**** What Matters Is A Democracy That Works <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_582802.html>
Theodore Yeo, Straits Times

When we are in a crisis, the Government is free to act swiftly. When manufacturing jobs were lost to China, the Government's response was swift, as was its rapid reaction to the global recession.

**** 说“双赢”太简单 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100925_003.shtml>
白士德, 联合早报

所以追根究底,两个国家能否对影响双边合作关系的课题达成协议,还是要看双方领导人如何看待彼此方方面面的合作前景,而以新马两国来说,马国要争取在十年内使人均收入达到高收入国家的水平,就必须和新加坡合作,以吸引更多的外资,并透过新加坡这个区域投资与金融中心向投资者表明它排除障碍,集中精力拼经济的决心。

**** Lawyer Challenges Gay Sex Law <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100924-0000220/Lawyer-challenges-gay-sex-law>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

An application has been filed in the High Court to challenge the legality of Section 377A of the Penal Code, which criminalises gay sex.

Lawyer M Ravi filed the legal action on Friday on behalf of his client Tan Eng Hong, who was charged for allegedly having oral sex with another consenting male.

**** STB Wants Offices To Waste Electricity For F1 ‘wayang’ <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/09/stpb-wants-to-waste-electricity/>
The Online Citizen

**** Mas Selamat Being Held At Whitley Road Detention Centre <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1083366/1/.html>
Milton Sau, Channel NewsAsia

**** Comments By DPM & Minister For Home Affairs Wong Kan Seng On The Re-arrest Of Mas Selamat Kastari, 25 SEP 2010 <http://app4.mha.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=MTg0MA%3d%3d-GlKrcCG6PdY%3d>
Ministry Of Home Affairs, Singapore Government

**** Mas Selamat Repatriated As No Longer Security Threat - Hishammuddin <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=530347>
Bernama

Singapore Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) leader Mas Selamat Kastari was handed over to the republic yesterday after it was decided that he was no longer a security threat to Malaysia.

Home minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said the decision was made after discussions between Malaysia and Singapore, besides the security and intelligence agencies as well as the special task force of both countries confirming that Mas Selamat was no longer a threat.

**** Singapore's Political Dynasty: If It Works Well, Who Cares! <http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=72670>
The Borneo Post

Most of us would not look too kindly on a family dynasty in politics. But do Singaporeans really mind? For almost five decades, it seems that the majority did not mind. It was as if they would tell you — if it works well, who cares!

And seriously, if Singaporeans are happy with their leaders, family dynasty or not, who are we, foreigners, to question their political system! We can criticise and shout aloud from afar but that will sound hollow, at best.

**** Figures Can Be So Deceptive <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2010/9/25/columnists/insightdownsouth/7093761&sec=insightdownsouth>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

The increase in Indian arrivals has been visible in everyday life but the margin has caught many Singaporeans by surprise. Indians today make up a quarter of the 1.79 million foreigners in Singapore that include PRs and foreign workers.

**** India Presses Singapore To Open Up Services Sector <http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/foreign-trade/India-presses-Singapore-to-open-up-services-sector/articleshow/6623486.cms>
The Economic Times

India has asked Singapore to open up more services to allow a greater number of Indian professionals access the island nation’s cost accountancy and hospitality sectors. A comprehensive bilateral trade agreement between the two countries is being reviewed. “We want to take advantage of the second review to get more in services and are exploring all possibilities,” a commerce department official told ET.

**** Singapore Opposition Party Calls For Fewer Foreigners At Rare Public Rally <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNGfseK2qKstKmZK2HWKGooipHgg4g&url=http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/market_news/article.jsp?content%3DD9IEV6H00>
Associated Press

An opposition party urged Singapore's government to slow the influx of foreign workers at a rare public rally Saturday in the tightly controlled city-state.

About 200 supporters of the Singapore Democratic Party also called for a minimum wage and a lower sales tax to improve living standards for workers.

**** Strong Tourism Dollar During F1 Festivities Not Shared By All Businesses <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1083384/1/.html>
Wang Zheng, Channel NewsAsia

Retailers in Chinatown said business is down some 60 per cent - citing the F1 as a cause - despite the current period being a peak season for tourists.

But those in the Bugis area said takings have doubled these past two days, with an increase of 20 per cent in crowds.