[MyAppleMenu] Sep 24, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 24 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Bringing Back The Pismo <http://lowendmac.com/ed/hatchett/10jh/bringing-back-pismo.html>
John Hatchett, Low End Mac

It's all because I really couldn't get my iSub to work with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. So I decided that I would use my Pismo to play music, since the iSub worked fine with it.

**** Unlimited Storage On iPhone? Stream It With Livedrive <http://www.gomonews.com/unlimited-storage-on-iphone-stream-it-with-livedrive/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GomoNews+%28GoMo+News%29>
GoMo News

**** MailHub Saves Time Interacting With Mail <http://apple.it-enquirer.com/2010/09/23/mailhub-saves-time-interacting-mail/>
IT.Enquirer

MailHub is an add-on to Apple Mail. It is a plug-in that is meant to speed up your interaction with Mail, management of messages, in short: the performance of your Inbox. Initially I didn’t see the difference between MailHub and Apple Mail’s Rules, but after having used it for a couple of weeks, the difference is crystal clear: MailHub makes Mail a lot more efficient than you can ever make it by using Rules only. MailHub actually saves a lot of time and aggravation.

**** The Mac Novel Writer We Forgot Is Worth A Look <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/the-mac-novel-writer-we-forgot-is-worth-a-look/>
Bambi Brannan, Mac 360

**** How To Backup Your Iphoto Library To Dropbox – And Resize Images To Save Space <http://danwarne.com/backup-iphoto-library-dropbox-resize-images-save-space-2/>
The Warne Account

**** Apple Issuing Refunds For Apple TV Rush Orders, Citing Delay <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/09/23/apple_issuing_refunds_for_apple_tv_rush_orders_citing_delay.html>
AppleInsider

Some customers who paid Apple for expedited shipping on the soon-to-ship Apple TV are receiving emails from the company Thursday informing them that those shipping charges have been waived due to a possible 'delay.'

**** Finally, Professional Dictation Software For The Mac <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/finally-professional-dictation-software-for-the-mac/>
David Pogue, New York Times

I won’t say “it was worth the wait” — really, everybody would’ve been a lot happier if a Mac dictation app had been available all along — but it’s almost everything it should be. After 25 years, full-blown, professional dictation software has finally come to the Mac.

**** Apple Expands iPad Distribution To Third-party US Retail Channel <http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click.phdo?i=13676cbc802f19174d868ed91a2de2d6>
AppleInsider

Apple now allows its largest distributors to provide all six models of the iPad to authorized resellers across the U.S., continuing the company's meticulous and methodical expansion of iPad availability.

**** Mac Gems: Watts 1.1.1 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=b9fe842dba700f55b30fa79bfbdb8141>
Macworld

These days, laptop batteries no longer suffer from the “memory effect” and related life-shortening afflictions. But that doesn’t mean modern notebook batteries are maintenance free—if you want to keep your MacBook’s battery performing at its best, you need to take care of it. Today’s Gem, Watts, aims to make such maintenance both easier and more effective. It also incorporates noteworthy features of a few other portable Gems.

**** Limiting User Disk Space With Partitions And Quotas In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20017465-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

One drawback to having multiple users on OS X is there is no easy way to limit the amount of disk space used by that user. If a user has write access to a file system, then they can fill the drive until there is no space left for others. For the most part this just takes some chatting with the other members of a household or workplace, but to avoid confrontations you can set up the system in various ways to limit a user's disk space use.

**** Apple TV Splits Networks <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703384204575510153153348466.html>
Nat Worden, Wall Street Journal

The new Apple TV comes as a proliferation of "over the top" services, which deliver online video to TV sets, are raising concerns that consumers will drop their traditional pay-TV subscriptions. The pay-TV industry just suffered its first-ever quarterly decline in overall subscribers.

At the same time, though, media companies are eager to find ways to increase their revenue from digital media, and they don't want to be seen as unwilling to embrace new technologies that consumers like.

**** Apple Clobbers The Competition <http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apples-destructive-power-2010-09-24?reflink=MW_news_stmp>
Ashley Allen and Douglas McIntyre, MarketWatch

**** Can Apple Crack China With The iPhone 4? <http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/09/23/iphone4.china/>
Lara Farrar, CNN

While the company's products are especially popular among China's expanding middle- and upper-classes who have disposable income to spend on high-end products to show off their wealth, the iPhone is still too expensive for most to purchase.

Additionally, the Chinese version of Apple's App Store still has an interface in English and requires payment from dual-currency credit cards, which many Chinese don't have.

**** Manage Podcasts In iTunes <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=c126e51076f19875fc296cb7bc8bfc84>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

iTunes has powerful tools for managing podcasts, and, of course, you can sync them to an iOS device, or listen to them on your Mac with iTunes. Let’s take a look at how podcast subscriptions work, and how you use iTunes to efficiently manage your podcasts.

**** When To Use The iPhone 4’s HDR Feature <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=ab42948598001936bef134fd8361d2fe>
Heather Kelly, Macworld

Solve your time and space issues by learning what situations call for the iPhone’s HDR setting and when you should skip it altogether.

**** Legal Row Over Who Can Use 'pod' <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11404886>
BBC

Apple has embarked on a legal battle over the right to use the word "pod".

**** Pain In The Glass? Windoro Bot Does Your Windows <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20017467-1.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Tim Hornyak, CNET

**** "The Last Utopia": How We Invented "Human Rights" <http://www.salon.com/books/nonfiction/index.html?story=/books/feature/2010/09/23/the_last_utopia_samuel_moyn>
Adam Kirsch, Salon

In dating the birth of human rights, as an ideology and a movement, to the mid-1970s, Moyn is deliberately bucking a trend. Recent histories, notably "Inventing Human Rights" by Lynn Hunt, have tried to trace the origins of human rights back to Plato or the Bible, or to the Enlightenment and the French Revolution, or, at the latest, to the Holocaust, which is supposed to have shocked the world into recognizing a need to protect those rights.

Moyn argues convincingly, however, these attempts to create a "usable past" for human rights, well-intended though they are, actually distort the truth. To understand the real strengths and limitations of the idea of human rights, he argues, it is necessary to see it not as an ancient tradition but as "the last utopia," which emerged "in an age when other, previously more appealing utopias died."

**** Cannes: Woody Allen's "You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger" <http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/film_salon/story/index.html?story=/entertainment/movies/film_salon/2010/05/15/tall_dark_stranger>
Andrew O'Hehir, Salon

These days, Allen is using his gift for light comedy as a thin veneer over an essentially sour, thin-spirited worldview, and that worked a lot better in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona," with its hot chicks and stunning Spanish locations, than it does here. His movies were less fundamentally depressing when he was obsessively mimicking Ingmar Bergman.

**** Management Of Gays Revisited, Part 1 <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/management-of-gays-revisited-part-1/>
Yawning Bread

**** Service 960, Another View <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC100924-0000066/Service-960,-another-view>
Chan Whye Chuen, Today

Altogether, I lost 65 minutes that day at the two bus stops. Although this may not be a daily occurrence, it has happened frequently enough.

**** 拿两千块薪水要有拿一万的范儿 <http://edu.163.com/10/0924/07/6HB3QDQI00294IIO.html>
中国青年报

不要总是抱怨社会,说他人对你不公或者资本家剥削。你如果不从内心里感恩,感谢资本家给你一个剥削你的机会,你就永远不会拿两千块钱,成就你一千万块的事业基础。

**** 大馬遊客印象:缺乏笑容‧對陌生人冷淡 <http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/176574?tid=2>
星洲日報

**** Amazing Singaporeans <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2010/09/amazing-singaporeans.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** The Race To The Top <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=20815>
Kelvin Teo, New Asia Republic

We should be asking ourselves – do we still have the graciousness and good faith as we get sucked into the ranking race? Are rankings becoming our raison d’être that it dictates every decision made at the individual or institutional level?

**** Prof. Takes Issue With Yale-Nus Partnership <http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2010/sep/23/prof-takes-issue-yale-nus-partnership/>
Daily Yale News

Though only about 25 Yale professors attended a meeting Wednesday where they could air their concerns about the proposed Yale-NUS College, some faculty are skeptical of the venture.

**** Singapore GLCs Political Donations To Australia’s Political Parties <http://aussgworldpolitics.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/singapore-glcs-political-donations-to-australias-political-parties/>
Readings From A Political Duo-Ble

It is hypocritical for the Singapore’s PAP ruling party to enact legislations prohibiting foreign funding when its GLCs (under the guise of corporationhood) makes political donations in Australia.

**** Diverse Group Protects Religious Harmony In Singapore <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jkBF4vq1UjAxESOojCejirEftX0A>
Philip Lim, AFP

**** Regulars Must Shape Up Or Get The Boot: SAF <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/09/24/regulars-must-shape-up-or-get-the-boot-saf/>
Angela Lim, Yahoo!

The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) wants its 20,000 regular servicemen to be fighting fit and warns that those who are obese and are doing nothing about their shape will get booted out.

Although other military units, like those in the United States and Britain also watch their troops’ waistlines and gauge combat performance, studies have shown that BMI does not accurately reflect whether a person is unfit or carrying excess fat.

**** NParks To Expand Primary Rainforest Area <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1083120/1/.html>
Saiful Bahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

The National Parks Board (NParks) will be expanding the primary rainforest area at the Singapore Botanic Gardens.

**** Terror Suspect Mas Selamat Released And Deported <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/9/24/nation/20100924125216&sec=nation>
The Star

Jemaah Islamiah member Mas Selamat Kastari has been released from the Internal Security Act and handed over to the Immigration Department for deportation.

**** Singapore Thanks Malaysia For Repatriating Mas Selamat <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=530065>
Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama

Singapore on Friday thanked the Malaysian government for repatriating back to the island republic suspected Jemaah Islamiah (JI) terrorist network leader Mas Selamat Kastari who had been detained under Malaysia's Internal Security Act (ISA) since early last year.

**** Singapore Manufacturing Output Growth Eases Unexpectedly <http://www.rttnews.com/Content/ForexTopStory.aspx?Id=1427662&SM=1>
RTTNews

Singapore's manufacturing output growth slowed unexpectedly in August signaling a moderation in the economic growth during the second half of the year as suggested by the central bank.

**** Racing And More In Singapore By Night <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/25/sports/autoracing/25iht-SRF1EVENTS.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Sonia Kolesnikov-Jessop, New York Times

The first night race in Formula One history put Singapore on the sport’s map in 2008, and visitors to the 2010 Grand Prix this weekend will find that the city-state has not stopped innovating.

**** Reflections On Journalism Education In Singapore <http://journalism.sg/2010/09/24/edu_intro/>
Cherian George, journalism.sg

**** Escaped Terror Suspect In Singapore Custody <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNGw-c-9VXqwV5S8AQxcv1mVNLLsVg&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704523604575511280675021388.html>
James Hookway And P.R. Venkat, Wall Street Journal

The Home Ministry said Mas Selamat Kastari is "currently under investigation" and being held under the country's Internal Security Act, which allows for detention without trial. Malaysian police deported the suspect Friday—nearly 18 months after capturing him in southern Malaysia.

**** The World's Poor Need Jobs, Too <http://curiouscapitalist.blogs.time.com/2010/09/24/the-world’s-poor-need-jobs-too/>
Michael Schuman, Time