[MyAppleMenu] Sep 14, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 14 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Consumer Reports Still Doesn't Recommend Apple's iPhone 4 <http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100913-715014.html>
Ian Sherr, Dow Jones

Consumer Reports magazine has reiterated it cannot recommend Apple Inc.'s iPhone 4, saying a flaw in the device's antenna design causes it to lose reception when held a certain way.

**** The Apple-branded Campus <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/13/the-apple-branded-campus/?section=magazines_fortune&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fmagazines_fortune+%28Fortune+Magazine%29>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

Apple products play an oversized role in the small survey of college campuses (seven schools, 212 students) released Monday by Hudson Square Research's Daniel Ernst.

**** Apple TV: Apple Wins, TV Networks Lose <http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/story/10859288/1/apple-tv-apple-wins-tv-networks-lose.html>
Rafi Mohammed, The Street

Memo to network television executives: you are at a critical juncture. Pricing decisions today will have significant profit ramifications to your future. The choice is clear: become commoditized or stand up for the value of your creative endeavors.

**** iTunes 10 Walkthrough <http://www.tipb.com/2010/09/13/itunes-10-walkthrough-iphone-ipad-ipod/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheIphoneBlog+%28TiPb%3A+iPhone%2C+iPad%2C+iPod%29&utm_content=Google+Reader>
Chad Garrett, TiPb

iTunes 10 is here, we’ve been using it for a while, and now we’ve got a complete walkthrough for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users. If you’re new to iTunes 10, especially if you’re new to iOS devices, we’ll help you get up and running quickly. If you’re already an expert, well here’s a guide you can send your new user friends and family.

**** Ipad Creeping Into Business Offices <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/351462/iPad_Creeping_Into_Business_Offices?source=rss_news>
Matt Hamblen, Computerworld

Apple Inc.'s iPad tablet computer, hugely popular among consumers since its April debut, is slowly finding its way into the hands of doctors, lawyers and other businesspeople who say it can help them do their jobs.

**** Apple Acquired Imsense Ltd For HDR Capabilities In iOS 4.1 <http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/13/did-apple-acquire-imsense-ltd-for-hdr-capabilities-in-ios-4-1/>
Eric Slivka, Macrumors.com

Based on evidence we've compiled, we believe that Apple may have purchased a small Cambridge, UK-based company known as imsense for its expertise dealing with just this technology.

**** Ten Years Of OS X: What's Changed Since The Beta <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=373fe10344c7311c9b9117a62ea57e24>
Benj Edwards, Macworld

In honor of OS X’s tenth anniversary, let’s examine at some of the more notable differences between the public beta that debuted a decade ago and today’s version of OS X.

**** BI Firm Takes iPads Over Laptops <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=fda9075e607113b69b8abe796052126c>
Matt Hamblen, Macworld

MicroStrategy said it is running some applications that can run on both the iPad and iPhone, while others are designed to fully take advantage of the larger 9.7-inch iPad touchscreen. For example, some of the latter applications help sales personnel easily show off videos or live demonstrations to customers during face-to-face meetings, said Mark LaRow, senior vice president of products.

**** Ten Years Of OS X: What The Operating System Means To Me <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=c0c60d6785f9bdf81780b4bcbe4fb459>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

My life changed ten years ago, when Apple rolled out the Mac OS X Public Beta. Of course, I didn’t know it at the time—on September 13, 2000, if my memory serves me correctly, it seemed like this new OS was just the next step (albeit a big one) in the evolution of the Mac’s operating system. Of course, as someone who loved to live on the bleeding edge of technology, clearly this was something I had to have.

**** Apple To Launch Wi-Fi iPad Models In China On Sept. 17 <http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click.phdo?i=9f84404d584e8df584898b02f866e39d>
AppleInsider

Apple announced on Monday that it will launch the Wi-Fi iPad in China this week on Friday, Sept. 17, with the multitouch device going on sale at the company's retail stores and authorized resellers at 10 a.m. local time.

**** MyFry: Stephen Fry's Second Autobiography Becomes An Interactive App <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/09/13/myfry-stephen-frys-second-autobiography-becomes-an-interactive/>
David Winograd, TUAW

**** Ten Years Of OS X: Ten Most Innovative Features <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=43b8e6ec7cdf8d6232df0cb73ceac431>
Macworld

We put our heads together and came up with a list of ten features—for the tenth anniversary of the OS X beta’s release—that we consider to be the most significant contributions to the Mac experience.

**** iTunes - The Item You Tried To Buy Is No Longer Available <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/09/13/itunes-the-item-you-tried-to-buy-is-no-longer-available/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

I find it frustrating that iTunes continues to provide basic user feedback such as telling me which 'item' it was referring to in the error message above.

**** Apple's Diss Barely Fazes Fart App Developers <http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_16064629?nclick_check=1>
Mke Cassidy, San Jose Mercury News

**** Developers Can Complain About Apple, But "The iPhone Is Where The Money Is" <http://www.businessinsider.com/distinctdev-moron-test-2010-9>
Jay Yarow, Business Insider

**** App Store Squatters May Find Loopholes As Apple Cracks Down <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/IdHyEHNXGus/app-store-squatters-may-find-loopholes-as-apple-cracks-down.ars>
Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica

Yes, Apple reviews any binary that is uploaded to iTunes Connect, but a developer can easily upload something never intended for publication by setting the release date far into the future. Additionally, offenders may simply reclaim an application name for three more months once Apple releases it back into the wild.

**** Increasing Student Achievement With Mac <http://www.apple.com/education/stories/greene-county/#video-greene-county?sr=hotnews.rss>
Apple

The Mac has transformed teaching and learning in the Greene County school system in rural eastern North Carolina. A new project-based curriculum has engaged and motivated students, and college-going rates have risen dramatically.

**** Enhancing Guest Services Globally With Ipad. <http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/profiles/hyatt-hotels/>
Apple

For over 50 years, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts have aimed to make guests feel more than welcome by providing amenities and services that meet their needs as quickly and directly as possible. With iPad, Hyatt now has the ideal platform to deliver the kind of seamless guest services the company prides itself on — not to mention a powerful, portable business tool for executives in Hyatt’s corporate headquarters.

**** Avoding Clutter, Putting Your Menu Bar To Work <http://feeds.chron.com/~r/houstonchronicle/techdrmac/~3/xtNEZcXRISM/7199612.html>
Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle

When some people see my Mac screen for the first time, they ask me what all that stuff in my menu bar is and why their menu bar doesn't have it. I explain that space on my Mac screen is precious and in short supply and that I am a big fan of third-party utilities that let me perform useful tasks without cluttering my screen with application windows.

**** Choosing The Best Of Both Worlds <http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/silverman/7199694.html>
Dwight Silverman, Houston Chronicle

**** Ping Removes My Comment On An Album <http://www.mcelhearn.com/2010/09/14/ping-removes-my-comment-on-an-album/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

The only think I can think of is that the album was listed as a pre-order, and now that it’s released, the pre-order listing has actually been deleted. If so, that seems kind of odd.

**** Google Voice App Now Pending Apple’s Approval <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/09/google-voice-app-pending-apples-approval/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Joe White, App Advice

Yesterday, it seems Kovacs sent GV Mobile back to Apple’s approval team in the hopes that they’ll give it the thumps-up. Speaking through Twitter once again, Kovacs (@seankovacs) simple posted the word: submitted.

**** Apple Offers Personalized Support With Express Lane Website <http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click.phdo?i=64cc390398c92d4f8c9f3d4d2e7cfd43>
AppleInsider

Apple has added a new feature to the support section of its website dubbed "Express Lane," making it easy for customers to select a product, detail any issue they may have, and get in contact with an Apple representative.

**** 1Password 3.4 Update Includes Limited Firefox 4 Support <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=f7f9e6bb38042464404407a83bf3941c>
David Dahlquist, Macworld

Agile Web Solutions has updated its password storing utility, 1Password, with a number of new features, updates, and fixes, including partial support for the Firefox 4 betas and new tools for detecting and resolving conflicts for all Sync modes.

**** MenuEverywhere 1.2 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=77839313b8e0cdb20e7de0998a3228d7>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Global CIO: The Awesome Transformative Power Of The Apple iPad <http://www.informationweek.com/news/global-cio/interviews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=227400318&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All>
Bob Evans, InformationWeek

The iPad engages its users to move beyond mere productivity—applying technology to a something you already know how to do and delivering a more-efficient outcome—and into the realm of innovation by allowing people to create new ways of seeing things, new ways of presenting ideas, new ways of communicating, and new ways delivering almost every fathomable type of information, from business graphics to images to text to video.

**** Capo 2 For Mac OS X <http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/appletell-reviews-capo-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+appletell+Appletell>
Jake Gaecke, Appletell

**** What Is the Future of Avant-Garde Fiction? <http://feeds.slate.com/click.phdo?i=98d34eb1a9f096408dd8c5184a0091c1>
Adam Kirsch, Slate Magazine

Now comes C, McCarthy's new novel, the book that is supposed to show us the future of fiction. And here is how it begins: "Dr. Learmont, newly appointed general practitioner for the districts of West Masedown and New Eliry, rocks and jolts on the front seat of a trap as it descends the lightly sloping path of Versoie House." It is a wonderfully canny move on McCarthy's part. How does an experimental novelist surprise his admirers, whose appetite for the new buffers them against any possible surprise? He writes a Victorian pastiche—a sentence of the kind that Virginia Woolf already declared out-dated in the 1910s.

**** How Animals Made Us Human <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/09/12/what_explains_the_ascendance_of_homo_sapiens_start_by_looking_at_our_pets/?page=full>
Drake Bennett, Boston Globe

Who among us is invulnerable to the puppy in the pet store window? Not everyone is a dog person, of course; some people are cat people or horse people or parakeet people or albino ferret people. But human beings are a distinctly pet-loving bunch. In no other species do adults regularly and knowingly rear the young of other species and support them into old age; in our species it is commonplace. In almost every human culture, people own pets. In the United States, there are more households with pets than with children.

**** The Limits Of Science <http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/ideas/anthony-gottlieb/limits-science>
Anthony Gottlieb, Intelligent Life

It’s a fair bet that many of today’s scientific beliefs are wrong, but only your grandchildren will know which ones, and in the meantime, science is the only game in town.

**** Private Transport Firms Offering To Hire Some IR Shuttle Bus Drivers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1080974/1/.html>
Seet Sok Hwee/Alvina Soh, Channel NewsAsia

Since the termination of the integrated resorts' (IR) free shuttle bus services, two companies are expressing their interest in hiring some of the drivers. However, this solution may not be adequate for the estimated 60 drivers affected by the incident.

**** Who Owns Singapore? <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=4294>
Wong Wee Nam , Sgpolitics.net

National allegiance grows from a deeply ingrained sense of shared heritage and destiny. And this can only come about through generations of participation in shaping one’s own lives in one’s own country.

If we want Singaporeans to have their hearts in Singapore, then we must give them the mental and psychological space to fulfil themselves as co-owners of this country. People do not just fulfil themselves by being mere owners of upgraded HDB flats.

**** Pressure Tactics? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC100914-0000061/Pressure-tactics?>
Cheng Shoong Tat, Today

As a Pasir Ris resident, I would like to know whether the HDB has the power to re-possess the premises and re-tender it out to genuine wet market operators.

Sheng Siong should never be allowed to make use of delay tactics to put pressure on the HDB to bend the rules. The HDB must stand firm and Pasir Ris residents must not fall for the delay tactics.

**** Police To Stop Issuing Character Certificates <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100914-0000080/Police-to-stop-issuing-character-certificates>
Leong Wee Keat , Today

>From Oct 18, the Singapore Police Force will stop issuing certificates to non-Singapore citizens to indicate a person has no criminal record during his stay here. Instead, permanent residents (PRs) and foreigners will have to swear before a lawyer or a Commissioner of Oath a statutory declaration, if they wish to migrate elsewhere.

**** A Pool Too Small For Dolphins <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_578038.html>
Jill Hum, Straits Times

The Underwater World may claim that its new pool exceeds international guidelines. However, these standards are usually basic requirements. It does not take an expert to see that the pool is too small for the dolphins.

**** Of Minimum Wages And Productivity <http://momsingapore.blogspot.com/2010/09/of-minimum-wages-and-productivity.html>
Lee Yi Shyan, Minister of State for Trade & Industry and Manpower, Singapore Government

Singapore’s approach therefore is to leave wages determined by market forces – supplemented by orderly wage adjustments in tandem with Singapore’s economic performance through the mechanism of the National Wages Council (NWC).

However, specifically for low skilled, low-wage workers, we’re determined to help them raise their earning capacity by raising their employability. We do so through two Workfare programmes.

**** FormFactor Abandons Move To Singapore <http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2010/09/13/daily4.html>
Steven E.F. Brown, San Francisco Business Times

Instead, the company will lay off 70 people in Singapore and keep its manufacturing in Livermore. The changes will be done by the end of the fourth quarter.

**** Hossan Leong: Making Comedy In Singapore, With A Little Help From His Friends <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/hossan-leong-singapore-boy-740039>
Eddie Tee, CNNGo

The first time I told a joke, everyone was looking at each other and wondering if they could laugh. It didn’t fall flat. It’s just that people didn’t know how to react.

**** 移民与否的选择 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100914_007.shtml>
郑再生, 联合早报

自愿作出的选择才是健康的。

**** 永久居民拒绝入籍新加坡值得我们深思 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100914_006.shtml>
翁启宗, 联合早报

强制他人意愿的手段的确是不可取,但吴资政的发言引起这样的反应,确实让人担忧新加坡政府移民政策是否有成效?

**** IR便民,当局忧民 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/sl100914_001.shtml>
联合早报

也总有一些原本就会赌的人因为免费巴士的方便,而受到更大的“鼓励”,甚至为了更常进赌场而宁付一次过一年2000元的入场税。就算后者只是占免费巴士搭客的一小部分,便足以叫有关的选区议员和基层领袖理直气壮的加以反对,当局在得到投诉之后迅速反应不只是为了“政治正确”,而是责无旁贷。

**** 国内住酒店 新加坡人最舍得花钱 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100914_006.shtml>
赵琬仪, 联合早报

新加坡人最舍得在国内酒店花钱,客房方面的花费比到亚洲其他城市时高。

**** 建屋局剩余组屋 平均每单位7人争购 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100914_004.shtml>
吴淑贤, 联合早报

建屋发展局推出的剩余组屋反应热烈,平均每个单位近7人争购,反映公众对组屋的需求依旧强劲。

**** Expected Rejection <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2010/09/expected-rejection.html>
Musings From the Lion City

So I find it very surprising at how surprised the Singapore government is by the response of the PRs! It is almost as if the government is doing some sort of soul-searching on why PRs do not want to be full Singaporeans. This I do not understand.

**** Sports Hub - A Watersports Centre For All <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1081054/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

One of its main attractions was supposed to be a white-water rafting course but, as plans developed, the consortium awarded the tender to build and operate Singapore's new Sports Hub decided the proposed watersports centre at Kallang would do without it, at least initially.

**** Yale Plans To Create A College In Singapore <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/nyregion/14yale.html?_r=1>
Lisa W. Foderaro, New York Times

Some faculty members have bristled at the notion of joining forces with a government that reins in speech and squelches public demonstrations.

The prospectus outlined assurances that Yale had received from Singapore leaders that “the college upholds the principles of academic freedom and open inquiry, essential core values in higher education of the highest caliber.”

**** Loyalty Concerns For Singapore <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/fmt-english/opinion/comment/10199-loyalty-concerns-for-singapore>
Maxwell Coopers, Free Malaysia Today

The hardest task is how to convince someone with a history of shared experiences and traditions from another part pf the world, to take up citizenship and yet not remotely expect him to feel the same for his country of birth?

It is no small feat, but something which the Republic is rightly concerned about.

**** MM Lee Uses Race Card Again To Defend Singapore’s Political System <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/09/14/mm-lee-uses-race-card-again-to-defend-singapores-political-system/>
The Temasek Review

**** Southeast Asia Set To Slow Down, OECD Says <http://gulfnews.com/business/economy/southeast-asia-set-to-slow-down-oecd-says-1.681474>
Bloomberg

Growth in Southeast Asia may weaken in the next quarter after "robust" expansions, hurt by a slowdown in China and uncertain prospects for the global economy, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) said.

**** When Is The Last Leaf Falling? Imagining A Singapore Without Lee Kuan Yew <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/09/when-is-the-last-leaf-falling-imagining-a-singapore-without-lee-kuan-yew/>
Tiffany Chuang, The Online Citizen

The PAP prides itself on a brand of pragmatism that, subject to the imperative of economic prosperity, supposedly allows it to adapt fluidly to environmental vicissitudes. However, the PAP government is already showing signs of strain from inevitable ideological and institutional ossification.

**** Singapore Sounds Out Oil Firms On Ultra-Low Sulphur Petrol, Diesel <http://www.eco-business.com/news/2010/sep/14/singapore-sounds-out-oil-firms-ultra-low-sulphur-p/>
Eco-business.com

With the world moving to ‘greener’ transport fuels, Singapore is starting to suss out the oil companies and refiners on the potential for them to introduce even cleaner, ultra-low sulphur petrol and diesel grades here, industry sources said.

**** 6.5 Million - Part 3 <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4098-65-million-part-3>
Singapore Democrat Party

Only a system of checks and balance can prevent the PAP from dragging our country down this dangerous road. Say no to 6.5 million. Our country will suffer irreparable damage if we allow the regime to go ahead with its reckless move.

**** MPs Ask Questions On YOG Spending, File Motion On Biennial Singapore Games <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1081118/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

The recently-concluded Youth Olympic Games (YOG) tops the list of questions filed by Members of Parliament (MPs) for Wednesday's Parliament sitting. MPs have asked the community development, youth and sports minister for the amount spent on hosting the games, and what contributed to the increase in spending on the YOG.

**** No Race-Based Politics In Singapore? <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2010/09/no-race-based-politics-in-singapore.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

Let me get this clear here, Singapore under PAP's rule, has already been engaging race based politics all this while! From the HDB racial quota rule, GRC system to setting up of Merdeki, Sinda, CDAC, all these are race based politics.

PAP has jealousy guarded itself as the only party that could deal with race based politics in Singapore. Anybody who dares to challenge this position would normally face "demolition" from its leaders.

**** Transport Minister Observes Rush Hour Bus Frequency <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1081166/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** More Legroom At GV Yishun <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_578425.html>
Straits Times

Golden Village's managing director, Mr David Glass, calls the process essentially 'rebuilding without tearing it down'. The idea is to 'take it back to its glory days where everything is quality and nothing is worn out'.