[MyAppleMenu] Jul 29, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 29 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** First Look: Apple 27-inch LED Cinema Display <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/586733/review/27inch_led_cinema_display.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

**** Apple's iPhone Case Giveaway Could Cut Into Other Case Suppliers' Sales <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-iphone-cases-20100729,0,2066038.story>
Mark Milian and Nathan Olivarez-Giles, Los Angeles Times

With Apple giving away its own cases, analysts say, there will be less demand for those offered by third-party suppliers.

At least two case manufacturers contacted by The Times acknowledged that Apple's giveaway could cut into sales. They declined to comment publicly, saying they did not want to sour their relationships with Apple.

**** Is Apple's Magic Trackpad A Gesture Too Far? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13641_3-20011943-44.html>
Adam Richardson, CNET

The number of things this trackpad can do is so large Apple actually includes a cheat sheet on the back of the box. It may look sleek and uncluttered, but this Magic Trackpad is a complex device. It does make one rather nostalgic for the simple old days of single-button mice.

**** Extension Performance Vastly Improved In Safari 5.0.1 <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/07/extension-performance-vastly-improved-in-safari-501.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

Though there still appear to be a few quirks with some extensions, Apple has definitely addressed the performance issues with this latest update.

**** Thoughts On Designing For iPad <http://powazek.com/posts/2583>
Derek Powazek

There’s no question in my mind that iPads and the oncoming wave of similar devices are going to be around for a good long time. I can’t wait to see how they evolve.

**** A Reality Check On Jobs' 3G Network Complaint <http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20011857-260.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Erica Ogg, CNET

City records for the past few years show that applications to build new wireless telecommunication stations (the city's term for cell sites) can take a few months or up to a two years or longer before a final action, such as approval to build a new panel antenna is handed down by city officials.

And this drawn-out process is well-known in the industry. "San Francisco has one of the most complicated, burdensome, arcane processes in the country, without question," said Patrick Ryan, adjunct professor of telecommunications policy at University of Colorado, Boulder.

**** Safari Extensions Gallery, Safari 5.0.1 Available <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/28/safari-extensions-gallery-safari-5-0-1-available/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

**** Control Your Online Albums With iPhoto <http://www.macworld.com/article/152944/2010/07/manageonlinealbumswithiphoto.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Derrick Story, Macworld

iPhoto ‘09 can extend its organizational powers well beyond your desktop into the realm of online albums. From within iPhoto, you can manage your Flickr, Facebook, and MobileMe albums with the same ease that you've enjoyed on your Mac.

**** Mac Gems: Viewfinder Provides Speedy Flickr Search Results <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/572705/review/viewfinder_106.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
John Brandon, Macworld

Viewfinder is an indispensible tool for searching Flickr because you can not only see the results in an easy-to-browse window, but you can then download the images or even export them to Keynote as a slideshow.

**** Time Inc.’s iPad Problem Is Trouble For Every Magazine Publisher <http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20100728/time-inc-s-ipad-problem-is-trouble-for-every-magazine-publisher/>
Peter Kafka, Wall Street Journal

The Time Inc. insiders I talked to don’t have a clear answer, presumably because they can’t get one from Apple itself. One theory: Apple is concerned about the publisher’s plans for the consumer data it would collect with each subscription. A darker one: Steve Jobs loves the idea of digital magazines and wants to control the market for himself.

**** iPhone Developers Can Now Advertise Their Apps Via IAd <http://www.macworld.com/article/153006/2010/07/iad_developers.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

There aren’t a lot of details on the program at present: Apple’s site offers only a contact form for interested parties. The company does say, however, that one of the features of iAd for Developers is the ability for users to download apps from the App Store without leaving the program they’re currently in.

**** Apple Plugs Autofill Vulnerability With Safari 5.0.1 <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/28/apple_plugs_autofill_vulnerability_with_safari_5_0_1.html>
AppleInsider

In addition to activating extensions, Apple's latest update to the Safari Web browser also plugs a potentially dangerous security hole that could allow hackers to obtain a user's personal information.

**** Apple Probes Complaints About iOS4 On iPhone 3G <http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/07/28/apple-investigates-reports-of-problems-with-ios4-on-iphone-3g/>
Jennifer Valentino-DeVries, Wall Street Journal

Apple is investigating reports that the latest iPhone operating system causes problems for users of the iPhone 3G, after a series of complaints on Apple support forums and technology blogs. Apple is aware of the reports and is looking into the matter, a spokeswoman told Digits.

**** Review: Apple's New Magic Trackpad <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/28/review_apples_new_magic_trackpad.html>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

Christopher Null, Yahoo!

And that’s what I think is the real issue here: Apple wants to figure out how it can be cost-competitive with offline subscriptions, yet still make money along the way.

**** Apple Sues Companies Over Knockoff IPod, IPad Gear <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-28/apple-sues-companies-over-knockoff-ipod-ipad-gear.html>
Susan Decker and Adam Satariano, Bloomberg

Apple Inc. sued companies it said are selling unauthorized electronic accessories such as chargers, speakers and cables for the iPod music player, iPhone and iPad tablet computer.

**** iPad: Apple's Missing Links <http://www.macworld.co.uk/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=8&entryid=3233668>
Jonny Evans, MacWorld UK

As I use the iPad more I find myself less and less surprised that Apple is selling so many millions of the things. It can do anything, but some things are missing -- here's three missing features, with solutions.

**** Japan Ministry Orders Apple To Explain iPod Overheating <http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/9195977>
Benjamin Shatil, Reuters

Japan's trade ministry said it has ordered Apple Inc's Japanese unit to explain incidents of overheating in some models of its first generation iPod nano portable music players.

**** Teardown Of Apple's Magic Trackpad Reveals Tightly Packed Thin Design <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/29/teardown_of_apples_magic_trackpad_reveals_tightly_packed_thin_design.html>
AppleInsider

**** Learning A Language From An Expert On The Web <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/29/technology/personaltech/29basics.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Peter Wayner, New York Times

There is no still way to avoid the hard slog through vocabulary lists and grammar rules, but the books, tapes and even CDs of yesteryear are being replaced by e-mail, video chats and social networks.

**** Phys Ed: Does Lucky Underwear Improve Athletic Performance? <http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/phys-ed-does-lucky-underwear-improve-athletic-performance/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Gretchen Reynolds, New York Times

A new study published online in the journal Psychological Science provides some intriguing answers and makes a compelling case that each of us should find lucky underwear of our own.

**** Everyone Agrees That Portion Sizes In Depictions Of The Last Supper Have Grown. Not Everyone Agrees Why <http://artnews.com/issues/article.asp?art_id=3021&current=True>
Ann Landi, ARTnews

At the Last Supper, the Bible tells us, Christ announced to his disciples, "One of you will betray me." According to a recent report in the International Journal of Obesity, he might have added, "And you will all grow fatter and fatter."

**** Singapore's 40 Wealthiest <http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/27/singapore-richest-ng-family-wealth-singapore-10_lander.html?boxes=HomepageSpecialStorySection>
Suzanne Nam, Forbes

**** 新加坡网络治理成就斐然 <http://www.gmw.cn/content/2010-07/29/content_1196163.htm>
王传军, 光明日报

新加坡是世界上推广互联网最早和互联网普及率最高的国家之一,也是在网络管理方面最为成功的国家之一。新加坡从立法、执法、准入以及公民自我约束等渠道加强网络管理,在确保国家安全及社会稳定的前提下,最大限度地保障网民的网络遨游权利。

**** Hong Kong And Singapore: A Tale Of Two City States <http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/politics/?p=6575>
Nick Gier, Politics

Libertarian theory would predict that Singapore’s higher taxes would slow economic growth and increase unemployment, but just the opposite has happened.

**** Singapore Becomes Indonesia's Largest Investor In 2Q <http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/90851/7083938.html>
Xinhua

Singaporean investment in Indonesia reached the highest amount in second quarter 2010 compared to other countries, Kompas.com online news quoted an official as saying on Wednesday.

**** Bed Crunch Continues Even As New Hospital Opens <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/bed-crunch-continues-even-as-new-hospital-opens/>
Yawning Bread

**** MM Lee : Never Retire & The Intellectual Class. <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2010/07/mm-lee-never-retire-intellectual-class.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

**** Signs Of Senility <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2010/07/signs-of-senility.html>
Singapore Notes

After a lifetime of toil, slaving to pay off the house, car and kids' education, so it's back to the grind, only to work for a younger, less qualified boss at reduced wages? That's the wise man's formula to boost productivity in Singapore.

On the other hand, I think there is a significant difference between retirement and retirement as mandated by law. Especially since we have almost abolished the pension system.

**** Why I Do Not Like High GDP Growth <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/why-i-do-not-like-high-gdp-growth/>
Mohamad Khan, The Online Citizen

You see guys maybe I’m being selfish for wanting a little personal space. Maybe I am not being far-sighted enough for failing to recognize the importance of being an economic powerhouse. All I see is that with higher GDP it means less space for me.

**** MFA Spokesman's Comments In Response To Media Queries About Allegations Of A Political Conspiracy Made By Dr Silviu Ionescu <http://app.mfa.gov.sg/2006/press/view_press_email.asp?post_id=6233>
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Singapore Government

As our special envoy ambassador Anil Kumar Nayar said when approached by the Romanian media, the trial is not about the Singapore system or its government. The trial is about what happened on 15 December 2009 which resulted in death and serious injuries, and the evidence found has pointed to Ionescu. His responsibility will have to be addressed through the Romanian legal process for justice to be served, and this is where the focus should be.

**** Six Deer Escape From Night Safari <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1072034/1/.html>
Lip Kwok Wai/Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

Six deer escaped from the Night Safari at the Singapore Zoological Gardens on Wednesday morning. Five have been found but one is still missing, although it is believed to be within the Night Safari park.

**** There Should Be No Retirement Age: MM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1072041/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew has said that there should be no retirement age for workers. He said: "You work as long as you can work and you will be healthier and happier for it. If you ask me to stop working all of a sudden, I think I'll just shrivel up, face the wall and just that."

**** High Court Reserves Judgement On Judicial Review Application <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/high-court-reserves-judgement-on-judicial-review-application/>
Wong Chun Han, The Online Citizen

The Supreme Court reserved judgement Wednesday in a hearing on the pardon process for Malaysian death row convict Yong Vui Kong, who is asking for his execution to be stayed on the grounds that he had been denied a fair clemency process.

**** MFA Spokesman's Comments In Response To Media Queries Related To The Case Of Yong Vui Kong <http://app.mfa.gov.sg/2006/press/view_press_email.asp?post_id=6236>
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Singapore Government

In response to media queries, the MFA Spokesman confirmed that the Ministry has received a letter of appeal for clemency for Yong Vui Kong from Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman. The letter of appeal has been referred to the legal authorities.

**** Having More Foreign Workers Must Not Dilute Productivity Efforts: Lim Swee Say <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1072064/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Labour chief Lim Swee Say has said that any additional intake of foreign manpower should not dilute Singapore's efforts in productivity improvement.

**** The Dual Economy Of Singapore <http://furrybrowndog.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/the-dual-economy-of-singapore/>
Furry Brown Dog

Singapore’s recent stellar economic performance has not necessarily benefited its people because of the dual economy and unless appropriate action is taken to remedy this, Singapore is headed towards a future when higher GDP figures only serve to justify ministerial salary hikes, GST increases, fees and fare increments whilst giving the ruling party even less reason to address an inevitable growing inequality and a growing cost of living.

**** Pointless To Have New Ones Every Year <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_559057.html>
Victor Khoo, Straits Times

**** Singapore Download Speed Below Global Average <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2010/07/singapore-download-speed-below-global-average.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rana+%28Blowin%27+In+The+Wind%29>
Blowin' In The Wind

Singapore download speeds are below average, according to the Household Download Index, measuring download speeds across the globe. The average download speed in Singapore is 5.54 Mbps while the global average is 7.60, according to the index, based on Speedtest.net test results.

**** Deciphering The Mystery Of Singapore's MRT Station Names <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/what-names-singapore-mrt-stations-274047>
mrbrown, CNNGo

Actually, now that I think about it, Lew Lian MRT Station would be a way cooler name for Serangoon MRT Station. But then some people may confuse Lew Lian with Esplanade MRT Station.

**** Singapore Selling City-building Expertise <http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201007280450.html>
Kazuto Tsukamoto, 朝日新聞

Asian dynamo Singapore, a city-state of towers, open spaces and a thriving economy based on its port facilities, has begun to export its know-how in urban development.

**** Joint Press Statement: Fourth Meeting Of The Malaysia-Singapore Joint Technical Committee On The Implementation Of The International Court Of Justice Judgment On Pedra Branca, Middle Rocks And South Ledge, Kuala Lumpur, 26-27 July 2010 <http://app.mfa.gov.sg/2006/press/view_press_email.asp?post_id=6240>
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Singapore

**** SDP - Competent. Constructive. Compassionate. (Part III) <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/perspective/vantage/3950-sdp-competent-constructive-compassionate-part-iii>
Singapore Democrat Party

**** S'pore, M'sia Pleased With Progress On Malayan Railway Lands In S'pore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1072186/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore MAS Says Current Policy Stance Appropriate <http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100729-701551.html>
Gaurav Raghuvanshi and P.R. Venkat, Dow Jones

Singapore's central bank Thursday said its current policy of allowing the local dollar to gradually appreciate remains appropriate, as economic activity is expected to remain high though the pace of expansion will ease.

**** MAS & DBS In Dialogue To Investigate Banking, ATM Disruptions During Outage <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1072191/1/.html>
Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

Asked about the issue during a news conference on its annual report Thursday, MAS said it will assess the outcome of the investigation before deciding on the appropriate regulatory action to take.

**** TODAY Launches Weekly Newspaper With The New York Times <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1072197/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

MediaCorp publication TODAY will launch a new weekly newspaper this weekend in partnership with The New York Times. Called the TODAY-New York Times International Weekly, the newspaper will showcase features on international affairs, social trends, arts and culture as well as business and finance, said Singapore's leading media company MediaCorp.

Note: Link goes to Channel NewsAsia, which is also published by MediaCorp.

**** When Will Housing Prices Return To 'normal'? <http://flaneurose.blogspot.com/2010/07/when-will-housing-prices-return-to.html>
Flaneurose

Given these positive fundamental drivers, high property prices in Singapore may stay high for a very long time. 'Normal' could be a long time coming, which might be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your personal financial situation.

**** Burger Chain, Wendy's To Re-open At Liat Towers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1072243/1/.html>
Evelyn Lam/ Alvina Soh, Channel NewsAsia

Burger chain, Wendy's, will reopen its outlet at Liat Towers on Friday. The new franchise in Singapore was in business for only three days before it was hit by floods twice and was forced to close.