[MyAppleMenu] Jul 28, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 28 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Apple Imac Summer 2010 (Intel Core I3 3.06Ghz, 21.5 In) <http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-imac-summer-2010/4505-3118_7-34139833.html#reviewPage1>
Rich Brown, CNET

Apple has elected to keep its iMac firmly grounded as a productivity device. You'll find few home entertainment conveniences in Apple's new iMac, and you can find larger screens in other all-in-ones for less. Few will offer performance like this iMac, though, and none looks as pretty, which makes it easy to recommend for general-purpose computing and for the design conscious.

**** First Look: Apple Magic Trackpad <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/586738/review/magic_trackpad.html?expand=true?lsrc=go_yankees>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

My favorite Magic Trackpad design feature? While the Magic Trackpad may not appear to support physical “clicking,” it indeed does: The two nubby, rubber feet on the bottom, along the front edge, actually have buttons built into them. When you press down on the trackpad surface, the feet “click,” giving you the same tactile sensation as you get with Apple’s current MacBook trackpads. Very clever, and a welcome Apple touch—no pun intended—for those who hate touch-tapping.

**** Mac Gems: PreMinder Calendar Works With Growl Alerts <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/572703/review/preminder_103.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Lynn La, Macworld

**** First Impressions Of Apple's Refreshed Desktop Lineup <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/first-impressions-of-apples-refreshed-desktop-lineup/7721?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

The benefit for users is that their programs will run as fast as they can on the new hardware. In addition, programmers don’t have to do any extra work to get performance gains from more cores and their application will run at its best with older (or newer) machines that have fewer cores.

**** Starcraft II: Wings Of Liberty Lands On The Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/152969/2010/07/starcraftii.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Chris Holt, Macworld

On Tuesday, Blizzard Entertainment released StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty to stores worldwide. The highly anticipated real-time strategy game has been teased and previewed for months—if not years—but it’s now available for both the Mac and Windows platforms.

**** Counterpoint: Intel And Apple Clash By No Means Inevitable <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/07/counterpoint-intel-and-apple-clash-by-no-means-inevitable.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Peter Bright, Ars Technica

Apple's already partnering with its competitor, Samsung, because that's the partnership that offers the most value to Apple. If Intel became the one with most to offer, Apple would jump ship immediately.

**** Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over "Overheating" iPads <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/07/class-action-lawsuit-filed-over-overheating-ipads.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

Three iPad users claim that because the iPad will shut itself off after remaining in direct sunlight for long enough, it fails to meet the promises Apple made about using the iPad as an e-book reader. The group has filed a federal class-action lawsuit in the Northern California district to "redress and end this pattern of unlawful conduct."

**** Apple Brings Inertial Scrolling, Three-finger Drag To Some MacBooks <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/27/inertial_scrolling_three_finger_drag_comes_to_some_macbook_trackpads.html>
AppleInsider

Apple on Tuesday issued an update to a number of recent notebooks -- including the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air -- bringing inertial scrolling and three-finger drag gesture support to some trackpads.

**** Apple's Magic Trackpad: Mouse Killer Or Pointless Device? <http://www.pcworld.com/article/202024/apples_magic_trackpad_mouse_killer_or_pointless_device.html?tk=hp_new>
Harry McCracken, Technologizer

I rarely use desktop computers these days, but I like the idea: I’m not exactly anti-mouse, but mice take up a lot of space, have a nasty habit of colliding with papers and other items, and are sometimes hostile to southpaws like me. Which is why I’m at least as likely to use a trackball as a mouse when I am at a desk.

**** Apple's Magic Trackpad Is More Than You Think <http://blogs.computerworld.com/16607/apples_magic_trackpad_is_more_than_you_think?source=rss_blogs>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

This is about creating a new UI paradigm, based on a more sensory perception of digital reality.

**** With A Big Bite Of Apple, Taiwan's Foxconn Is Poised To Control Half Of All Electronics Manufacturing <http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/07/with-a-big-bite-of-apple-taiwans-foxconn-is-poised-to-control-half-of-all-electronics-manufactuing-/1>
David Lieberman, USA Today

Foxconn will account for about half of the electronics manufacturing services market next year, up from 44.2% last year.

**** Making The Switch To Apple? Get The Perfect Setup <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20011851-1.html>
Joe Aimonetti, CNET

If you're thinking about taking the dive, this could be your perfect setup.

**** The Better Way For Mac Users To Tweet In Safari <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/the-better-way-for-mac-users-to-tweet-in-safari/>
Alexis Kayhill, Mac 360

Ostrich is merely a fun Safari extension which brings Twitter functions to the browser window and toolbar.

**** The New Muscle Inside The New iMac, Mac Pro <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20011862-64.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Brooke Crothers, CNET

Apple is tapping Intel chips for its desktop lineup in a way it never has before.

**** Sniff-activated System Drives Wheelchairs <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20011860-1.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Leslie Katz, CNET

A new sniff-sensing controller out of Israel may enable the severely paralyzed to navigate wheelchairs, surf the Net, and communicate in writing via controlled inhalations and exhalations.

**** In A Tenement’s Meager Kitchens, A Historian Looks For Insight <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/books/28book.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

The story it tells, about Old World habits clashing and ultimately melding with new American ones, is familiar. But Ms. Ziegelman is a patient scholar and a graceful writer, and she rummages in these families’ histories and larders to smart, chewy effect.

**** Numberplay: I Bet You're Wondering How Telepathy Works? <http://wordplay.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/numberplay-i-bet-youre-wondering-how-telepathy-works/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Pradeep Mutalik, New York Times

You’ve been thinking about someone, perhaps after a long time. Suddenly the phone rings, and guess what? It’s the person you were thinking about. Telepathy? Coincidence?

**** The Curious Cook: To Enhance Flavor, Just Add Water <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/dining/28curious.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Harold McGee, New York Times

Water is indeed a useful flavor enhancer, exactly because it dilutes other ingredients and can change their balance for the better.

**** Innovation Lessons Found Between Martha's Vineyard And Singapore <http://blogs.hbr.org/anthony/2010/07/two_innovations_found_between.html>
Scott Anthony, Harvard Business Review

Changi, in my mind, is an example of intelligent design with the traveler in mind. It's pleasant, peaceful, and efficient. Innovators should always look at the world through the eyes of the customer. Is there a way to challenge common assumptions, like Changi does with distributed security, to delight the customer?

**** Grassroots Leader Riles Netizens With Remark <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1071828/1/.html>
Alicia Wong, Channel NewsAsia

A young grassroots leader has received flak from scores of netizens for calling Singaporeans "third-class" citizens on the People's Action Party (PAP) Facebook page.

**** Keeping God In Place <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100728-0000041/Keeping-God-in-place>
Eugene K B Tan, Today

Are the guidelines targeted at Christian groups, since they are the most regular and prominent users of commercial spaces for religious purposes, especially on weekends and in the lead-up to Christmas?

Concerns have been also been voiced of an assertive "fundamentalist secularism" that seeks to drive religion out of the public sphere. This fear is unnecessary.

**** Fare Data Based On Actual Trips Taken, Say Transport Bodies <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_558608.html>
Eugene Tan, Public Transport Council, Helen Lim, Land Transport Authority, Straits Times

The impact analysis for the distance fares was based on actual data collected through our fare system, and is reflective of the prevailing travel patterns of our commuters. This data source is comprehensive as it is based on all actual trips taken by commuters using their contactless smart cards.

In considering the impact on commuters, the Public Transport Council looked at the weekly rather than daily travel patterns - as most commuters make a combination of direct and transfer journeys during the week.

**** Medisave – Pay Up Or Be Charged? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/medisave-pay-up-or-be-charged/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen