[MyAppleMenu] Jul 13, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 13 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** Apple's Word Of Mouth Challenge: Will Consumer Reports Hamper iPhone 4's Mojo? <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apples-word-of-mouth-challenge-will-consumer-reports-hamper-iphone-4s-mojo/36627?tag=mantle_skin;content>
Sam Diaz, ZDNet

It’s one thing for a blogger like me to go on these rants about the shortcomings of the iPhone 4. But when Consumer Reports, which has the power to drive or halt buying decisions with its recommendations, announces that it cannot recommend the iPhone 4 because of the device’s antenna issues, it carries a lot of weight with mainstream consumers.

**** Check Out Those FaceTime Ads: Think Apple Understands The Network Effect? <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/07/12/businessinsider-check-out-those-face-time-ads-think-apple-understands-the-network-effect-2010-7.DTL>
Henry Blodget, Business Insider

There's no mystery as to what Apple is up to strategically.

**** Skype, Fring Throw Punches Over iPhone Hang Up <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-20010278-2.html>
Jessica Dolcourt, CNET

Fring and Skype, sometimes-rivals in the VoIP mobile space, are spitting out harsh words in what's turning into an ugly public relations play. In a news release sent to CNET on Monday, Fring accuses Skype of being "afraid of open mobile communication" after Skype brought legal action against Fring, which has traditionally included Skype in its IM and VoIP calling app.

**** New iPhone 4 Ads Change The Conversation <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20010305-71.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Chris Matyszczyk, CNET

As technology grasps at ways that it can bring people into some kind of greater proximity, it is hard to resist the notion that FaceTime isn't merely a cool feature, it's the paradigm for all phone conversations in the future.

**** Apple Leads The Pack For Ballooning Bug Count <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/apple-leads-the-pack-for-ballooning-bug-count/8877>
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet

Being in the lead is not always a good thing. Apple takes number one stop for the most bugs found in all of its products during the first half of 2010, ahead of Oracle, and Microsoft, according to Secunia.

**** The Amazingness Of Instant <http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/the_amazingness_of_instant/>
Scott Adams, Dilbert.com

The other day I bought an iPad for the house. Yes, I know, when the iPad was first announced, I predicted that few people would want a crippled laptop. Allow me to say I was obviously and totally wrong.

**** New Mac Mini Features Better Bluetooth Stereo <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/new-mac-mini-features-better-bluetooth-stereo/7506?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

**** Mac Gems: AddressBookSync Ties Facebook Friends To Address Book <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/569803/review/addressbooksync_14.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Abigail Gripman, Macworld

AddressBookSync uses a clean interface and simple procedures to help coordinate the people in your Mac OS X Address Book with your Facebook friends.

**** Automate Daily Chores With AppleScript <http://www.macworld.com/article/152622/2010/07/automatedailychoresapplescript.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

**** Lab Tests: Why Consumer Reports Can't Recommend The iPhone 4 <http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2010/07/apple-iphone-4-antenna-issue-iphone4-problems-dropped-calls-lab-test-confirmed-problem-issues-signal-strength-att-network-gsm.html>
Mike Gikas, ConsumerReports.org

It's official. Consumer Reports' engineers have just completed testing the iPhone 4, and have confirmed that there is a problem with its reception. When your finger or hand touches a spot on the phone's lower left side—an easy thing, especially for lefties—the signal can significantly degrade enough to cause you to lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal. Due to this problem, we can't recommend the iPhone 4.

**** The Legend Of Crystal Valley <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1091>
Ted Bade, Inside Mac Games

The Legend of Crystal is fun and interesting enough to have kept my attention through the entire game and kept me looking forward to returning. It isn’t a long game, but it is well done and the story is pretty well thought out. Anyone who likes a good fairy tale style adventure game will enjoy playing. Definitely worth a look.

**** Facetime On iPhone 4: Vanilla Unencrypted STUN And SIP <http://blog.roychowdhury.org/2010/06/25/facetime-on-iphone-4-vanilla-unencrypted-stun-and-sip/>
iConverged

**** Turns Out That Making An “iPad Killer” Isn’t So Easy After All <http://www.technovia.co.uk/2010/07/turns-out-that-making-an-ipad-killer-isnt-so-easy-after-all.html>
Ian Betteridge, Technovia

It’s three months since the launch of the iPad, and the much-heralded “Android iPad killers” are somewhat thin on the ground.

**** Apple Deletes Discussion Threads About Consumer Reports And iPhone 4 <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/12/apple_deletes_discussion_threads_about_consumer_reports_and_iphone_4.html>
AppleInsider

Numerous threads pertaining to Consumer Reports' testing of the iPhone 4, which found reception issues, were been removed from Apple's official online forums Monday.

**** iPhone Antenna Flaw: Apple Remains In Denial <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/iPhone-Antenna-Flaw-Apple-Remains-in-Denial-216832/>
Wayne Rash, eWeek

The problem is that the list of Apple’s excuses goes on and on. It must be software. You must be holding it wrong. It can’t possibly burst into flames. I suspect the next spin attempt will be to suggest that the engineers at Consumer Reports don’t know how to test phones (which is what the comments from the Apple fanbois are already saying). The fact is, however, that Apple screwed up and is loath to admit it.

**** Apple's Arrogance And The iPhone 4 Antenna Debacle <http://www.pcworld.com/article/200954/apples_arrogance_and_the_iphone_4_antenna_debacle.html>
Jeff Bertolucci, PC World

The company is in danger of losing its hard-earned reputation for excellent quality and service. If "bad antenna" is the first thing that pops into a consumer's head when an iPhone 4 ad appears, well, that can't be good for business.

**** IPhone Moms Turn Ideas Into Kid-Friendly Apps <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/12/BU131EAQE3.DTL>
Ellen Lee, San Francisco Chronicle

The iPhone mom has fast become a commanding presence among mobile users. From keeping track of their long to-do lists to practicing math skills with their children, they're using their iPhone to manage their hectic, day-to-day lives.

That's translating into moms like Seman. They have an idea - or two or three - for apps that can help them, from monitoring the baby's latest meal, nap and poopy diaper to a game that entertains their children during a long car ride. A small but growing cohort of about 80 mom - and some dad - developers has even formed an online group, Moms with Apps, where they can share tips and help one another market their apps.

**** NTP: Why Its Patent Suit Vs. Apple, Google, Microsoft, HTC Etc Stands A Chance <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/ntp-why-its-patent-suit-vs-apple-google-microsoft-htc-etc-stands-a-chance/36584>
Larry Dignan, ZDNet

Simply put, NTP now has all the ammo it needs to go after the industry.

**** iPhone 4: Too Slippery By Half <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/saas/iphone-4-too-slippery-by-half/1105?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FSAAS+%28ZDNet+Software+as+services%29>
Phil Wainewright, ZDNet

Now it turns out everyone is going to have to put a cover on their iPhone 4. Even a strip of duct tape stuck down the side is suddenly cool, and there are rumors of an electrical fault introduced to selected units to strengthen the rationale for rubber insulation.

So thanks, Steve and the Apple team for your foresight and self-sacrifice in introducing the antenna fault when you realized you’d made the iPhone 4 too slippery.

**** Apple: Selling Ice Cubes To Eskimos <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366378,00.asp>
John C. Dvorak, PC Magazine

>From the iPod to the iPhone to the iPad, Apple has a nearly perfect track record of re-energizing lackluster product spaces. FaceTime, the company's take on the video phone, is no different.

**** iPhone 4: Time For A Recall? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-20010352-256.html>
Molly Wood, CNET

Apple should recall the iPhone 4 and start disseminating new phones with properly coated antennas--and I'm not talking duct tape or neon-colored rubber bands. A recall would give Apple major goodwill and prove its commitment to the impeccable quality and design principles it's always espoused. Yes, it would be expensive and unprecedented. But wow, would it win back some flagging hearts and minds.

**** Apple Plans To Open A Retail Store In Hong Kong <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/200968/apple_plans_to_open_a_retail_store_in_hong_kong.html>
Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service

Apple intends to open a retail store in Hong Kong as part of wider expansion plans in China.

In all, Apple plans to open up to 25 stores in China and Hong Kong by the end of 2011, said Jill Tan, an Apple spokeswoman. She did not offer specific dates for when the new Apple stores would open in China or where they would be located, except for Hong Kong.

**** Video: iPhone 4 Custom Ringtone Bug <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/video-iphone-4-custom-ringtone-bug/7513?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

Sometimes a custom ringtone will continue playing in a stuttered loop even after I answer the call. The only solution is to hang up on them and call back.

**** Not So Fast: Consumer Reports’ Flawed Study & Thread Whiners <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/07/fast-consumer-reports-flawed-study-thread-whiners/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Alexander Vaughn, App Advice

**** Digging Deeper Into Apple's Time Capsule Failure Figures <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jul/13/apple-time-capsule-failure-analysis>
Charles Arthur, The Guardian

But the Guardian has also seen the text of an email that was sent to Apple Genius Bars earlier this year, to confirm free work authorisation on dead Time Capsules. And that has a very different range of serial numbers which are eligible for replacement with or without Applecare.

We did ask Apple why it had changed the recommended replacement range between its internal note and its statement yesterday. It had not replied at the time this blog post went live.

**** The Pyramid Of Shame <http://wordplay.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/numberplay-the-pyramid-of-shame/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Pradeep Mutalik, New York Times

Like many people, I encountered my first pyramid scheme in the form of a chain letter. I was 10 or 11 years old, and I received a postcard that listed the names and addresses of five people.

**** Moscow’s Espionage Addiction <http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2010/jul/12/moscows-espionage-addiction/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Robert Cottrell, The New York Review of Books

The arrest of ten Russian spies in America on June 27, and the exchange of them last week for four Russians accused of spying for the West, has brought inevitable comparisons with the Cold War. But really, it has little to do with war or peace. Russia simply cannot help itself.

**** A Scientist Takes On Gravity <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/science/13gravity.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

It’s hard to imagine a more fundamental and ubiquitous aspect of life on the Earth than gravity, from the moment you first took a step and fell on your diapered bottom to the slow terminal sagging of flesh and dreams.

But what if it’s all an illusion, a sort of cosmic frill, or a side effect of something else going on at deeper levels of reality?

**** Where Sparky May Go After His Final Walk <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/books/13book.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Mark Oppenheimer, New York Times

At their worst animal lovers are an embarrassment — especially to the animals they adore. The cat is not dignified by the owner who keeps a dozen other cats; no dog wants to submit to a team of hair stylists just to have a shot at Best in Show. In the relationship between humans and the animals over whom, the Bible tells us, we have dominion, Homo sapiens is the besotted fool.

For evidence that around animals, especially pets, we come undone, there is “The Divine Life of Animals,” Ptolemy Tompkins’s well-meaning but credulous investigation of whether there is an afterlife for his dog, your pet rabbit, Black Beauty or maybe Ch Roundtown Mercedes Of Maryscot, the Scottish terrier who won this year’s Westminster Kennel Club show, to pick just a few.

**** Wherever My Dead Go When I'm Not Remembering Them <http://www.slate.com/id/2260281/?from=rss>
Alan Shapiro, Slate Magazine

**** New Citizens And PRs Flocking To Join PAP Grassroots Organizations <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/07/12/new-citizens-and-prs-flocking-to-join-pap-grassroots-organizations/>
The Temasek Review

**** Mickey Mouse Flats In Singapore See Continued Sales This Year <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1069006/1/.html>
Georgina Joseph, Channel NewsAsia

Sales are still going strong for so-called Mickey Mouse apartments or those that measure 500 square feet or less.

**** After Sixteen Years, Police Resort To Entrapment Again <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/after-sixteen-years-police-resort-to-entrapment-again/>
Yawning Bread

What is the police’s responsibility in creating the crime?

**** 乘客应以每星期的乘车习惯和车资来计算 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100713_007.shtml>
陈秀敏,公共交通理事会,林玮琪,陆路交通管理局, 联合早报

根据我们的分析,63%的乘客会从新的制度受惠。这些计算是以我们的车资制度所收集的确实数据为根据,反映了乘客当前的乘车习惯。对个人的影响,则要以他一个星期的乘车模式而定。

**** 市镇理事会应以身作则 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100713_006.shtml>
陈陆庆, 联合早报

明明布告板就在组屋电梯旁边,而且还有空位,不知道市理会为何不把宣传单贴在里头而选择贴在墙上。这样一来,事后还得叫清洁工人清除宣传单所留下的污迹,既不环保又浪费钱。

**** Dr Lim Hock Siew: "...That There Is Judgement, There Is Justice". <http://anonymousxwrites.blogspot.com/2010/07/dr-lim-hock-siew-that-there-is.html>
Anonymous X

**** A Distortion Of Reality <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2010/07/distortion-of-reality.html>
Singapore Notes

**** A Commercial Decision Best Left To The Banks <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC100713-0000060/A-commercial-decision-best-left-to-the-banks>
Ong-Ang Ai Boon, The Association of Banks in Singapore, Today

Mr Kumar's suggestion to have a common ATM network to provide customer convenience is noted. However, such a decision involves evaluating cost structures, integrating operating platforms and considering whether an integrated network would yield more benefits than the current arrangement. It is a commercial decision that is best left to each of the retail banks operating in Singapore.

**** 受访业者纷喊苦 掏钱直播世界杯 咖啡店生意没起色 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100713_004.shtml>
杨萌 王秘, 联合早报

为期一个月的世界杯已经结束,投下大笔资金订购直播权的咖啡店业者似乎并没有从中获益,还担心成本无法回收,没直播的也说自己生意少了三成。另一方面,德士司机说乘客没有增加,生意没起色。

**** Xenophobic Singapore <http://www.freakthoughts.net/?p=530>
Freak Thoughts

**** Dr Lim Hock Siew Video Is Now Banned.... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2010/07/this-video-is-now-banned.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

Dr Lim Hock Siew was detained for 20 years without trial. During that period, the PAP govt had all the time to show the evidence and tell the truth so that we can all see how wonderful a job the ISD has done to protect us from evil. We are all still waiting.

**** The YOG Budget <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2010/07/yog-budget.html>
Musings From the Lion City

I like to know why the budget has gone up by more than 3 times! Singapore is not building any new stadium or sport facilities, so why did the budget got overshot by so much?

**** Public Pressure Key To Opposition Working Together <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/public-pressure-key-to-opposition-working-together/>
The Online Citizen

**** A Month Of Barring And Banning - Joshua Chiang <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2010/07/month-of-barring-and-banning-joshua.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

All in all, it is a rather oppressive month, and not because of the weather. I remember a National Day speech by PM Lee in 2006. He said, "We have to debate. If we didn't have a debate, I think we will come to the wrong conclusion." Right now my impression of 'debate' is really the joke I keep using - "Debate is de thing that you catch de fish with".

**** 全球工薪族买房:新加坡需36.4年时间最漫长 <http://finance.ifeng.com/hk/sckx/20100713/2401891.shtml>
财华网

俄罗斯一家国际房地产咨询公司最新公布的研究报告显示,全球36个城市的工薪阶层当“房奴”的时间存在很大不同。以用工资购买一套70平方米的公寓为标准,柏林人付清全部房款的时间最短,平均只有3年,而新加坡人所需时间最长,是柏林人的12倍。

新加坡人当“房奴”的时间则最漫长,与其他城市相比,房价高,收入却不高,造成新加坡人至少需要攒36.4年的工资才能买一套房子。

**** P1 Semester Exams To Go <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_552930.html>
Linette Lai, Straits Times

In three years time, all Primary 1 pupils will no longer take the mid-year and end-of-the-year examinations. Instead they will be eased into the formal education system through more holistic assessment practices, like 'show and tell' or the keeping of a Maths journal.

**** 'We Have Failed You' <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_552965.html>
Straits Times

DBS Group CEO Piyush Gupta , in a personal message to the bank's and POSB customers, on Tuesday apologised for the seven-hour discruption of its banking and ATM services on July 7, acknowledging that 'we have failed you'.

Mr Gupta said the outage was triggered during a routine repair job on a component within the disk storage subsystem connected to the bank's mainframe.

**** 'Give Public A Full Account' <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_552968.html>
Straits Times

The Monetary Authority of Signapore (MAS) wants DBS Bank to give a full account of the collapse of its banking services last week, including the actions it will take to prevent future recurrence.

**** Indonesia Not Seeking To Raise Prices Of Gas Sold To Singapore Official <http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201006300432dowjonesdjonline000203&title=indonesia-not-seeking-to-raise-prices-of-gas-sold-to-singapore-official>
Dow Jones

Indonesia is not seeking to increase prices of natural gas exported to Singapore, despite its intention to reduce the volume delivered, a government official said Wednesday.

**** Who's Richest: Hong Kong, China Or Singapore? <http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2010/07/13/whos-richest-hong-kong-china-or-singapore/>
Duncan Mavin, Wall Street Journal

When it comes to cash and stocks, rich Hong Kongers are better off than their nearby peers in Singapore and mainland China, according to a new survey.