[MyAppleMenu] Jul 12, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 12 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** iPhone Lawsuit Wins Class Action Status <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20010212-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Sam Diaz, CNET

A lawsuit against Apple and AT&T over their exclusivity contract has been granted class action status, meaning it now includes anyone who bought an iPhone between June 29, 2007, and present day and signed up for AT&T service.

**** Podcasts (In ITunes) Turns 5 <http://drewdomkus.com/2010/07/11/podcasts-turns-5/>
Drew Domkus

**** Apple Recalling Flawed 2008 Time Capsules <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/11/apple-recalling-flawed-2008-time-capsules/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** Apple Promoting iPhone 4 In Four New FaceTime Ads <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/11/apple_promoting_iphone_4_in_four_new_facetime_ads.html>
AppleInsider

Apple's new ads campaign for iPhone 4 have shifted from "there's an app for that," to a message targeting a specific new app: FaceTime.

**** Review: ProSoft Data Rescue 3 <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/548063/review/data_rescue_3.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
John Brandon, Macworld

Data Rescue 3 is a program that every Mac user should at least know about, if not own outright, for those times when you need to restore important files. It takes some time to use, but works as stated and can relieve you from the final step of hiring a forensics expert.

**** Take Control Of How Files Open <http://www.macworld.com/article/152586/2010/07/openwith.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Sharon Zardetto, Macworld

**** Google's Do-It-Yourself App Creation Software <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/technology/12google.html?_r=1&src=busln>
Steve Lohr, New York Times

Google is bringing Android software development to the masses. The company will offer a software tool, starting Monday, that is intended to make it easy for people to write applications for its Android smartphones.

**** "Zoo Story:" A Tale Of Two Alphas <http://www.salon.com/books/laura_miller/2010/07/11/zoo_story/index.html>
Laura Miller, Books

Likening the behavior of human alpha males to their animal counterparts is a bit of a gimme at this stage, but comparing and contrasting the nurturing leadership of Herman to the dictatorship of Salisbury -- something French does with admirable lightness -- is inspired. It's also sobering to watch young zookeepers, filled with winning enthusiasm and camaraderie, being ground down by the human world's equivalent of evolutionary pressure.

**** A Perfect Equilibirum <http://aestheticfables.wordpress.com/2010/07/11/a-perfect-equilibirum/>
after post modernism

**** Putting Overcrowded Trains In Perspective <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/putting-overcrowded-trains-in-perspective/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

Enough of all the short-term deviations that do not relieve overcrowding on our trains; move beyond this rigidity.

**** Bank On More Choice, Not Less <http://www.todayonline.com/Commentary/EDC100712-0000025/Bank-on-more-choice,-not-less>
Conrad Raj, Today

Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's recent call for further consolidation among Singapore's three remaining banks appears at odds with current thinking about any country having giant banks that are too big to fail.

It was also ironic that Singapore largest bank, DBS, had its computer systems break down soon after Mr Lee's comments - almost at once illustrating one of the dangers of the country having a single bank.

**** A New Intellectual Leader Emerges In Asean <http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=1850>
Kavi Chongkittavorn, The Island

In the past, Singapore has been the uncontested intellectual leader of Asean, providing new ideas related to economic and security matters to reinvent and make Asean relevant to the global community.

This time, however, there is a new regional environment with the rise of democratic Indonesia. The grouping’s biggest member has come up with many bold and liberal ideas of its own regarding Asean. It has played crucial roles in pushing for the drafting of an Asean charter and security community. Gone are the days when it used to be ridiculed as the grouping’s smallest denominator—nothing moves without Indonesia’s consent. Now the country has become the biggest demoninator that can inspire the rest of Asean.

**** Seatown At The Fore As Temasek Diversifies <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704799604575356790600140652.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Peter Stein, Wall Street Journal

A new US$2.9 billion hedge fund backed by Singapore's Temasek Holdings Pte. Ltd. is starting to throw money around in global debt and equity markets, the latest outgrowth of the sovereign-wealth investor's push to diversify its US$135 billion portfolio.

**** Gerald Giam – Taking Politics Beyond The Internet <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/gerald-giam-taking-politics-beyond-the-internet-2/>
Wong Chun Han / Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

**** We Should Rid Ourselves Of Insecurity <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_552235.html>
Vasanthan Kanmani, Straits Times

A deep sense of insecurity engulfs us whenever the issue of foreigners creeps up. Yet, we are not averse to exploiting the opportunities for ourselves abroad.

**** Singapore's Overpaid, Increasingly Detached Elite <http://singaporeindecline.blogspot.com/2010/07/singapores-overpaid-increasingly.html>
Singapore In Decline

Investment banks are run by greedy, selfish and often unethical sharks. Singapore is run by greedy, selfish and often unethical scholars who think they're morally superior beings.

**** 车资调整 请为老人着想 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100712_008.shtml>
林福成, 联合早报

以前从车头一次坐到车尾才69分,现在实在增加得使人瞠目结舌。记得不久前,车资调高一二分,社会便动荡起来,喊打喊杀,而这次车资对老人剧增一二角钱,可怜的老人家,欲喊无声,欲杀无力。

**** 新车资的疑问 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl100712_007.shtml>
陈小川, 联合早报

当局不断强调,多数转车的搭客都可以受益,那些没有转车的搭客则需多付高一点的车资,但是我发现并不竟然如此。

**** Transport Crawl <http://singaporecommuter.blogspot.com/2010/07/transport-crawl.html>
Singapore Commuter

So you can forgive me if I am cynical about the latest Distance Fares. Isn't it just another way of increasing the fares of public transport?

**** Vaporware <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/2010/07/12/IM000017/>
Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu

Lim Swee Hua [http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1068811/1/.html]: Over time, as more transport links are added, the new fare system will allow 'maximum choice and flexibility'.

This coming from a government that actively remove choices when it comes to public transportation. This is the government who removed bus routes when MRT came on line. This is the government who artificially limited price competition with bus services going into town and call it Premium service. This it the government that artificially divided the island into two different monopolies and call it competition. This is the government who promised investment in GPS technology in buses meant real time tracking and reaction to road conditions, but when a pedestrian bridge got knocked into, the only choice for bus commuters were to either walk or wait for 6 hours.

Choice and flexibility? Forgive me if I simply don't believe you, Ms Lim. We have a term for this kind of empty promises in the tech industry: vaporware.

**** Law Minister’s Comments Prejudicial To Yong Vui Kong’s Clemency Appeal <http://theonlinecitizen.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/law-ministers-comments-prejudicial-to-yong-vui-kongs-clemency-appeal/>
M Ravi, Counsel for Yong Vui Kong, The Online Citizen

The only way in which the Constitution can be observed in relation to my client is for the Elected President to peremptorily pardon him in order to assuage the gross procedural and substantive improprieties that have taken place in this case. The Elected President must now pardon my client or the Court must grant my client’s application for judicial review where there has not been and cannot be a proper clemency process.

**** Without Vision Or Purpose... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2010/07/without-vision-or-purpose.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

There is no bold vision to look forward and no desire to improve the current system.

**** 滨海南要建住宅? 刘太格“很担心” <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100712_018.shtml>
赵倩玉, 联合早报

**** PM's Defence Of Singapore Raises More Suspicion <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/fmt-english/politics/barisan-nasional/7851-pms-defence-of-singapore-raises-more-suspicion>
Free Malaysia Today

Prime minister Najib Tun Razak’s call to Malaysians to keep an open mind on his decisions involving Singapore in the Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB) land swap deal and investments in Iskandar Malaysia (IM), has drawn flak from the opposition and raised even more suspicion.

Jerai MP Mohd Firdaus Jaafar said as long as Najib does not explain the true reason behind his decision to surrender the KTMB land in Tanjung Pagar to Singapore and the deals struck with the island republic over investments in IM, “there will always be suspicion”.

**** Economist: Singapore Is The Frothiest Property Market <http://singaporeuncletrader.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/economist-singapore-is-the-frothiest-property-market/>
Temasek Hedge

**** Censors Ban Martyn See's Film On Dr Lim Hock Siew <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1068952/1/.html>
Claire Huang, Channel NewsAsia

Censors have banned the film "Dr Lim Hock Siew" by filmmaker Martyn See Tong Ming, with effect from July 14 under the Films Act, saying it is against 'public interest'.

A statement from the Information, Communications and the Arts Ministry said the film "gives a distorted and misleading portrayal of Dr Lim's arrests and detention under the Internal Security Act (ISA) in 1963."

**** Here We Go Again - Govt Bans Another Martyn See's Film <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2010/07/here-we-go-again-govt-bans-another.html>
Martyn See Tong Ming, Only "objective" and "factual" political films please, we're Singaporeans

The film, which I had labelled "Dr Lim Hock Siew", was submitted to the Board of Film Censors in February 2010. Since then, it had been undergoing review by the Political Films Consultative Committee (PFCC), a seven-member advisory panel set up to criminalise "party political films", an offence under Section 33 of the Films Act. Since the PFCC has never communicated with me, I have no idea what the committee had thought of the film. A moot point now, as RADM Lui Tuck Yew, the Acting Minister for Information, Communications & the Arts, has now decided to ban the film outright.