[MyAppleMenu] Feb 2, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 2 18:59:01 EST 2010

**** The iPad Isn't A Third Device, But A Third Revolution <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=9b2e122145eca707dc030211807de474>
Dan Moren, Macworld

For Apple, it’s not about killing off tinkerers, but ensuring that not everybody who wants to use a computer has to be a tinkerer.

**** Troubleshooting A Missing Apple TV <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=2620a05156cf83d37687da611bd6f0cd>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

You say that your Apple TV and Mac ignore each other? Walk through these troubleshooting steps.

**** iTunes 9.0.3 Update Fixes iTunes Store Password Bug <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=95c91ea1019d2444dd9291583f216851>
Nicholas Bonsack, Macworld

Apple has just released a minor iTunes update that fixes a problem with being able to remember passwords for the iTunes Store.

**** A Little Chip Designed By Apple Itself <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=19a829e28c7946510fa94891fc24e77e>
Ashlee Vance and Brad Stone, New York Times

The do-it-yourself approach gives Apple the chance to build faster, more battery-friendly products than rivals and helps the company to keep product development secret.

**** MindManager 8 For Mac Review <http://www.it-enquirer.com/main/ite/more/mindmanager-8/>
Erik Vlietinck, IT.Enquirer

Mind mapping on the Mac has been largely an affair of personal productivity, i.e. no mind mapping software delivered an integration with enterprise-scale business systems such as Microsoft Sharepoint. MindManager 8's focus is exactly on that weak spot and also on more Mac OS X integration.

**** Vue 7.5 Lets You Create, Animate, Render 3D Environments <http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/macsimum_review_vue_7.5_lets_you_create_animate_render_3d_environments/>
Dennis Sellers, Macsimum News

I think this is definitely a program that you’ll want to check out if you’re creating landscapes of any kind for the digital world. I use Vue as one of the tools in my creative workflow because it works great with my other 3D applications and it’s my favorite tool to compose and render scenes.

**** Apple Releases 2nd Potential Fix For Flickering 27-inch iMacs <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/02/01/apple_releases_2nd_potential_fix_for_flickering_27_inch_imacs.html>
AppleInsider

Apple on Monday released a second firmware update that aims to address screen flickering that has plagued some users of the late 2009 model 27-inch iMac. The update, entitled 27-inch iMac Display Firmware Update 1.0, is a 294KB download available direct from Apple. The accompanying description states the update will "address issues that may cause intermittent display flickering.

**** Apple-less Macworld Expo To Stress Products, People <http://www.pcworld.com/article/188285/appleless_macworld_expo_to_stress_products_people.html>
Harry McCracken, Technologizer

With Apple’s absence, the organizers are emphasizing the educational and social aspects of Macworld, by redoubling efforts to make the conference component worthwhile.

**** iPad, Anyone? Hospitals Looking At The Mobile Device <http://www.sacbee.com/296/story/2500747.html>
Bobby Caina Calvan, The Sacramento Bee

Apple's new creation, the iPad, may be a novelty to many consumers, but hospitals are already starting to abandon paper-and-pen clipboards for hand-held digital tablets.

**** Steve Jobs, Information Psychologist <http://correspondents.theatlantic.com/edward_tenner/2010/02/steve_jobs_information_psychologist_1.php>
Edward Tenner, The Atlantic

To some observers, he is the arch-survivor, rising phoenix-like over childhood misery and life-threatening illness; to others, he is the maestro of perfect technological pitch, in tune with the soul of the new machine. My favorite insight into Steve Jobs, though, comes from an essay mentioning neither Jobs nor any Apple product.

**** Apple’s Jobs Spurns Intel, Qualcomm With A4 Processor For IPad <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601108&sid=aGj1iYE4BvhQ>
Ian King and Arik Hesseldahl, Bloomberg

Apple Inc.’s A4 chip, unveiled last week as part of its iPad, shows how chief executive officer Steve Jobs is extending control over the company’s hardware at the expense of Qualcomm Inc. and Intel Corp.

**** iPad Snivelers: Put Up Or Shut Up <http://gizmodo.com/5461485/ipad-snivelers-put-up-or-shut-up>
Joel Johnson, Gizmodo

It's taken me a couple of days for me to understand the wet sickness I felt in response to all the post-iPad whining, until it finally came up in a sputtering lump: disgust.

**** Apple's iPad Can Fill ‘In-Between' Niche <http://feeds.chron.com/~r/houstonchronicle/techdrmac/~3/zvSkjEjGUpE/6846540.html>
Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle

**** Apple's iPad: A Hit With Business Users? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=30310>
Larry Dignan, ZDNet

What’s the business use here? In a word: Dashboards. Salesforce.com, Oracle and others all have iPhone apps showing sales, dashboards and corporate data. However, the screen is kind of small. With the iPad, you can check out a full dashboard of data, track sales and get your corporate health check on the go. Simply put, screen size matters for corporate dashboards. You can envision multiple business intelligence applications on deck.

**** What If You Could Wear Your Smartphone Like A Bracelet? <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=6e3642aee1dd377b4d73113546482f5d>
Ashlee Vance, New York Times

Asus is developing new form factors for computers, such as a bracelet and a roll-up tablet, that rely on flexible, ultralight displays.

**** Upright Hubris: A Short Tale Of Skyscrapers <http://blogs.nybooks.com/post/365364628/upright-hubris-a-short-tale-of-skyscrapers>
Ingrid D. Rowland, The New York Review of Books

If the Earth has never been shy about proclaiming the instability of its surface, the creature misnamed Homo sapiens has never been shy about ignoring the message. Dubai’s 828 meter-tall Burj Khalifa skyscraper, which opened in early January, is only the latest in a millennial series of contenders for the title of world’s tallest building. It looms, at least for now, above Malaysia’s Petronas Towers, Toronto’s CN Tower, Chicago’s Sears Tower, and the quaintly venerable Empire State Building in that proverbial city of towers, New York. Yet the profile of Burj Khalifa suggests nothing so much as a seventeenth-century engraving intended to ridicule the human habit of tower-building, part of the German Jesuit Athanasius Kircher’s exquisitely illustrated essay on the Tower of Babel, Turris Babel of 1679.

**** Figures In A Landscape <http://feeds.slate.com/click.phdo?i=30f34243a46b62b4e02ddcbe2baa827f>
Gail Mazur, Slate Magazine

**** “The Government’s First Responsibility Is To Singaporeans” <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/02/%e2%80%9cthe-government%e2%80%99s-first-responsibility-is-to-singaporeans%e2%80%9d/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

In short, this is what has happened to the homeless who were ‘helped” by MCYS: They were put into this block of flats at Tiong Bahru, given a whole set of restrictive rules to follow, disallowed from cooking or making the flat a home (with the prohibitions on bringing in anything which is “bulky”) and told to shut up if the “media” comes calling and asking questions.

In a nutshell, shut up and do as you’re told.

**** Singapore Will Continue To Welcome Foreign Talent <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2010/02/singapore-will-continue-to-welcome-foreign-talent.html>
Blowin' In The Wind

**** What Is A General Election About? <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=3808>
Wong Wee Nam, Sgpolitics.net

The opposition is, therefore, right in wanting to Mr. Mah, as minister of national development, to defend his policy in the coming General Election. If he cannot defend his position in a constituency that he has nursed for 22 years and whose residents have already bought flats at an affordable rate long time ago, then his opponents deserve to be congratulated.

**** Singapore Panel Issues Subdued Economic Forecast <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703422904575038962461752580.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines>
Patrick Barta and Sam Holmes, Wall Street Journal

Slower growth isn't easily accepted in Singapore, which prides itself on having one of the most dynamic economies in Asia. It has consistently outperformed expectations in large part by positioning itself as a haven for investors and multinationals seeking a big presence in Asia but worried about unpredictable laws and unstable governments in less-developed neighboring countries.

Maintaining rapid growth also is seen as key to making sure an already-wide gap between rich and poor doesn't get worse in Singapore and possibly lead to social unrest.

**** Why Is HDB Able To Reveal Breakdown Cost Of Their Flats Publicly In 1981 And Not Now? <http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/02/02/why-is-hdb-able-to-reveal-breakdown-cost-of-their-flats-publicly-in-1981-and-not-now/>
The Temasek Review

With public anger fast rising over the escalating HDB flat prices, it is time Singaporeans exert pressure on HDB and other relevant agencies to reveal the truth of the matter – the exact constuction and land costs of HDB flats for us to judge for ourselves if HDB flats are indeed heavily “subsidized” by HDB and if they are worth the price we are paying for.

**** Singapore GLCs Political Donations To Australia’s Political Parties <http://aussgworldpolitics.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/singapore-glcs-political-donations-to-australias-political-parties/>
Readings From A Political Duo-ble

It is hypocritical for the Singapore’s PAP ruling party to enact legislations prohibiting foreign funding when its GLCs (under the guise of corporationhood) makes political donations in Australia.

**** More On The HDB Market <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2010/02/more-on-hdb-market.html>
Mr Wang Says So

The HDB initiative does not impress me. In my opinion, it is at least partially politically motivated.

**** The Proud And Prejudiced Should Not Give Counsel <http://thotspeak.blogspot.com/2010/02/proud-and-prejudiced-should-not-give.html>
The Art Of Dumbspeak

**** Singapore Air Profit Rises As Demand Bounces Back <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/business/global/03singair.html>
Reuters

Singapore Airlines, one of the world’s biggest carriers by market value, on Tuesday reported its best quarterly profit in almost two years as cargo volumes rebounded and travel improved. The airline industry is recovering from its worst downturn last year, but growth in the more profitable business class segment, where SIA thrives, is slow and could take time to capture pre-crisis level.

**** Temasek And Thaksin Lost In Space <http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/LB03Ae01.html>
Peter Brown, Asia Times

**** The End Of The Empire Of Deference <http://buffets.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/the-end-of-the-empire-of-deference/>
The Buffet Table