[MyAppleMenu] Dec 19, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 19 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** SmartPush iPhone App Dead, Reminds Us Apps Are Not Forever <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/18/smartpush-iphone-app-dead-reminds-us-apps-are-not-forever/>
Richard Gaywood, TUAW

Because of how Apple structured them, any developer adding notification support to their app has to commit to keeping servers alive to send the notifications through -- even if the app doesn't have any other need for hosting. Once the app sales saturate the developer is left with dwindling income but a significant fixed ongoing cost hosting and maintaining the servers.

**** Dropbox 1.0.10 Adds Selective Sync, Improves Performance <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11849?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** Elgato EyeTV HD: A Review Of The Mac DVR For Cable And Satellite HDTV <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/18/elgato-eyetv-hd-a-review-of-the-mac-dvr-for-cable-and-satellite/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

The Elgato EyeTV HD is a great product for those who have cable or satellite HD TV service and who would like to watch and record shows on their Macs. The EyeTV software adds features every time we look at it, and Elgato is on top of new viewing trends by making the EyeTV HD device and software work well with other Macs, iPhones, and iPads.

**** Instagram Gains Suggested Users, 7 New Languages, And Yes, 2 New Filters <http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/18/instagram-filters-update/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

**** Kids Can Learn Using These IPhone Applications <http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20101219/LIFESTYLE/12190301/Kids-can-learn-using-these-IPhone-applications>
Amanda L. Husson, Associated Press

Barbara and C.C. Chamberlin of Las Cruces, New Mexico, are game designers and programmers with New Mexico State University's Learning Games Lab. They decided to put their expertise to use to reach a very small target audience: Their two sons, Alex, 5, and Carter, 2.

**** A Physicist Solves The City <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/magazine/19Urban_West-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine>
Jonah Lehrer, New York Times

The urban jungle looked chaotic — all those taxi horns and traffic jams — but perhaps it might be found to obey a short list of universal rules. “We spend all this time thinking about cities in terms of their local details, their restaurants and museums and weather,” West says. “I had this hunch that there was something more, that every city was also shaped by a set of hidden laws.”

**** 新加坡地方很小,人很大 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl101219_005.shtml>
韩咏梅, 联合早报

我也经常在小贩中心或咖啡馆一两个人占用一张大桌子,不喜欢陌生人搭台;在拥挤的高速公路上驾车,偶尔也会不顾其他的车子,遇到机会就转换车道。这是因为在这个生活环境不断改善的新加坡,我们感觉到自己很大,已经很习惯只顾个人的舒适和便利,很少考虑如何优雅地和别人在有限的空间里相处。

**** Certain Matters Should Be Private <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2010/12/19/columnists/onthebeat/7651531&sec=onthebeat>
Wong Chun Wai, The Star

**** How Realistic Is This Safety Rule? <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_615473.html>
Chong Zi Liang, Straits Times

Not only are cyclists entitled to use the roads, but the handbook for the driving final theory test also states that motorists should give 1.5m of space when passing bicycles - something most motorists do not do after collecting their licences.

But motorists say they already try to give cyclists as wide a berth as road conditions allow, and it is simply impossible to adhere to the 1.5m distance in heavy traffic.

**** A Cautionary Tale Of KTM Land: The Devil Is In The Details <http://dinmerican.wordpress.com/2010/12/18/a-cautionary-tale-of-ktm-land/>
Deva M Ridzam

**** Priscilla And Fiance Get Their Housing Board Flat After 9 Attempts <http://boo-n-bouquet.blogspot.com/2010/12/priscilla-and-fiance-get-theirhdb-flat.html>
Boo-n-bouquet

"This has certainly been a long journey of close to 3 years and I’m glad we never gave up trying."