[MyAppleMenu] Dec 18, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Dec 18 18:59:01 EST 2010

**** Writings Joins The iPad Text Editor Fray <http://www.macworld.com/article/156495/2010/12/writings_ipad.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

The battle for king of the iPad text editor heap has a new contender: Writings. It faces off against the likes of Elements, PlainText, and WriteRoom, but it has a plenty of nice tricks up its sleeves that make it a worthy competitor in this increasingly crowded arena.

**** Changing Password Expiration Warning Intervals In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20026059-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** How Does The Twitter iPhone App Animate The Current Tab Bar Indicator? <http://idevrecipes.com/2010/12/17/twitter-app-tab-bar-animation/>
iDev Recipes

**** Hacker Changes The Way People With Colour Blindness See The World <http://thenextweb.com/apps/2010/12/18/did-a-hacker-just-cure-colour-blindness/>
Brodie Beta, The Next Web

The app uses the devices camera to augment a colour blind person’s perception of colours by enabling users to differentiate between tones, hues and colours that would normally be invisible to them. After launching the app, it automatically allows you to view the world through the camera while overlaying different colour schemes.

**** Free: How To Unlock A Mac’s Hidden Features <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/free-how-to-unlock-a-macs-hidden-features/>
Jeffrey Mincey, Mac360

If you’re not a Mac power user but you’re not afraid to try something new to enhance your Mac experience, then TinkerTool is for you. Mac OS X ships with hundreds of hidden features.

**** My Mortifying iPad Experience <http://outsideinnovation.blogs.com/pseybold/2010/12/my-mortifying-ipad-experience.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OutsideInnovation+%28Outside+Innovation%29>
Patty Seybold, Outside Innovation

My iPad was mysteriously turning itself on, opening an application, selecting a song, turning the audio on, and blaring it out.

**** Your Apps Are Watching You <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704694004576020083703574602.html?mod=wsj_share_twitter>
Scott Thurm And Yukari Iwatani Kane, Wall Street Journal

An examination of 101 popular smartphone "apps"—games and other software applications for iPhone and Android phones—showed that 56 transmitted the phone's unique device ID to other companies without users' awareness or consent. Forty-seven apps transmitted the phone's location in some way. Five sent age, gender and other personal details to outsiders.

The findings reveal the intrusive effort by online-tracking companies to gather personal data about people in order to flesh out detailed dossiers on them.

**** And The Smartest Site On The Internet Is... <http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/mimssbits/26150/?ref=rss>
Christopher Mims, Technology Review

Google now lets you filter sites by "reading level".

**** Sofia Coppola: Lost At The Chateau Marmont <http://www.laweekly.com/2010-12-16/film-tv/sofia-coppola-lost-at-the-chateau-marmont/>
Karina Longworth, LA Weekly

>From party girl to Oscar winner, a journey to the stripped-down Somewhere.

**** Dog Days: Is The District Witnessing The Early Stages Of A Hot Dog Boom? <http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2010/12/15/dog-days-is-the-district-witnessing-the-early-stages-of-a-hot-dog-boom/>
Scott Reitz, Washington City Paper

Still, a handful of D.C. restaurants are giving hot dogs another shot, setting up sausage-heavy menus. Pizza and burger joints have boomed as the economy has stagnated by taking advantage of quality ingredients, clever marketing, and the occasional celebrity chef. The restaurants provided customers value and a side of nostalgia, while creating a void for upscale hot dogs—one that looks like it’s about to be filled.

**** 增辟单选区能磨练政坛新人 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl101218_008.shtml>
陈渐明, 联合早报

所谓一分耕耘,一分收获,给新人多一些政治磨练,对他们的政治前途有利无弊。如果一位新人能在单选区凭自己的实力击败对手,不必靠集选区的保护,对他日后的政治前途肯定大有帮助,因为至少他从激烈的竞选过程中学会了与民沟通,了解人民所需的经验。

**** Dolphins Bound For RWS Die, Activists Up In Arms <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC101218-0000222/Dolphins-bound-for-RWS-die,-activists-up-in-arms>
Esther Ng, Today

Two of the seven bottlenose dolphins, which were destined for Resorts World Sentosa's (RWS) Marine Life Park, have died in a holding area at Langkawi. The deaths are set to reignite opposition to RWS' plans to house the animals as entertainers.

**** Distance Refund Starts <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_615153.html>
Linette Lin, Straits Times

**** Elaboration On Answers To Housing Issues @ TOC Forum <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2010/12/elaboration-on-answers-to-housing.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

**** Singapore As Sustainable City: Step Up On Going Green <http://www.eco-business.com/news/2010/dec/18/singapore-sustainable-city-step-going-green/>
Eco-Business.com

If Singapore were a trembling student, being graded on how sustainable it is as a city, its report card might well read: room for improvement.

**** 陆交局数据显示 市区德士站晚上9时至10时最难等车 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101218_002.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

年底佳节脚步逼近,加上人们对德士需求明显增强,大家都高喊越来越难截到德士,尤其是在市区,像向来供不应求的义安城德士站,晚上9时至10时这段时间平均要等上32分钟才能搭到德士。

**** Singapore ‘Insults’ Neighbours <http://the-diplomat.com/asean-beat/2010/12/18/singapore-insults-neighbours/>
The Diplomat

Many Malaysian citizens might shrug at the ‘opportunist’ tag given their prime minister as many feel it’s not without some grounds. But they may be worried about the reported intercepted ‘technical intelligence’ used by the Singaporean government to conclude that Anwar is guilty as charged. They are right to demand that this matter be investigated further to establish how Singapore accessed the ‘intelligence.’

**** Singapore Redefines Braggadocio <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/49841?tid=14>
Tunku Abdul Aziz, Sin Chew Daily

It has become apparent that it is simply not worth the effort to cultivate this uncultivable bad mouthing neighbour of ours. You cannot ever be right with it because it is never wrong. Winning some and losing some is not a thing that sits well with it. Winners take all, much like Mahathir, is a strategy that appears to be well entrenched and suited to its national psyche.

Our relations with a neighbour such as Singapore, with its propensity for, and unseemly preoccupation with, scoring a debating point or two at every turn, must be circumscribed by the most formal and correct behaviour on our part. While it is clear that we cannot avoid Singapore altogether as it is a neighbour after all, we should lead separate lives, taking nothing from it that is not ours, and, in turn, give it nothing such as the KTM land that is not its due.

**** More Foreigners Buying New Private Homes In Singapore <http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/asia/singapore/2010/12/18/284086/More-foreigners.htm>
China Post

Foreigners were out in force in the property market last month, snapping up almost one in three new private homes in Singapore.