[MyAppleMenu] Aug 15, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 15 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Mac Gems: Decipher TextMessage Saves iPhone Texts Messages To Your Mac <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=01343051f9ab0701057898a6d5ed3157>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

For $5, Decipher TextMessage is an easy-to-use program dedicated to the task of saving your iPhone’s text messages on your Mac.

**** Apple iPhone Repairs 'A Rip-Off' <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/7946102/Apple-iPhone-repairs-a-rip-off.html?>
Alastair Jamieson, Telegraph

The firm charges £139 for even the simplest work on a handset, such as replacing a cracked screen, but dozens of companies offer similar repairs for as little as £39.

Martin Lewis, the founder of the Money Saving Expert website, claimed the charges were "a rip-off" but said users were partly to blame for being "seduced by the power of the Apple brand".

**** Apple – The Wow Experts <http://blogs.auroinfotech.com/2010/08/14/apple-the-wow-experts/>
Auro

**** Why There's More To Cookbooks Than Recipes <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/c9sBMtNotx4/why-we-read-cookbooks>
Rachel Cooke, The Guardian

I don't know if the New York Times was right; I don't know if most cookbooks are filled with missing ingredients and mistyped weights and measures. But if they were, would any of us know? I'm not sure. We buy them by the dozen, and we read them, many of us, in bed and elsewhere, devouring every page as hungrily as if they were novels. But how many do we really use? Not many, is my guess.

**** Christopher Hitchens, Not Going Gently <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=3087b2452cea762b549413912a3623be>
Liesl Schillinger, New York Times

Two fierce battles are being waged this summer — one against esophageal cancer, by the irreverent columnist, commentator and critic Christopher Hitchens (who scorns the use of the word “battle” in this context), and the other for his soul, by those who hope to persuade him to convert to Christianity in extremis. It’s a paradox that Mr. Hitchens, a confirmed atheist and the author of “God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything,” can appreciate, if not relish.

**** Pay Parking With Ez-link <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_566600.html>
Straits Times

Motorists who have the ez-link card can, from as early as November, use it to pay for parking in some shopping malls and offices.

**** Singapore Lights Youth Olympic Flame, Officially Opening Inaugural Sporting Event <http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/08/14/singapore-lights-youth-olympic-flame-officially-opening-inaugural-sporting/>
Associated Press

IOC President Jacques Rogge said the event would inspire young people around the world to take up sport but also teach them the importance of fair play, teamwork and living healthy lives.

The ceremony was filled with fireworks, towering puppets and colorful dance performances that emphasized the youthful theme of the games while showcasing Singapore's transformation from a dreary trading port to a modern metropolis.

**** 图辑:首届青年奥运会在新加坡开幕 <http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/world/2010/08/100814_pics_youtholympics.shtml>
BBC 中文网

**** Hope Criticisms On YOG Can Be Stopped <http://hongjun.blogspot.com/2010/08/hope-criticisms-on-yog-can-be-stopped.html>
Hongjun

**** Singapore - <i>Not</i> Boring! <http://hobokencupcake.blogspot.com/2010/08/singapore-not-boring.html>
Hoboken Cupcake

The sights, sounds and food are interesting. So are the economy and politics.

**** Singapore Youth Olympics Game Opening Ceremony <http://blog.omy.sg/alvinology/2010/08/15/singapore-youth-olympics-game-opening-ceremony/>
OMY

**** Philanthropy Thriving In Newly Rich Singapore <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jLNb-veE39TmEzZYQ8wJh2vmmbuw>
AFP

As Singapore celebrates 45 years of independence this month, it takes pride in its transformation into one of Asia's richest societies, and the idea of sharing wealth is gaining broader support.

**** Youth Olympic Games Gamble For Singapore <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10978576>
Sharanjit Leyl, BBC News

Unlike the summer Olympics where the numbers of viewers tuning in from all around the world is more or less known, the fact it is the first time the Youth Olympic games are being held means a risk for both governments and sponsors undertaking the cost.

**** Taiwan's Leaders Look To Emulate Singapore <http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2010/08/15/268766/Taiwans-leaders.htm>
China Post

Politicians and opinion leaders in Taiwan are in love with Singapore, judging from their recent calls to emulate the Republic's achievements.

Of late, scarcely a day goes by without government leaders, academics or commentators calling for Taiwan to learn from Singapore — be it in building world-class ports and airports, fighting corruption, treating water or creating a cosmopolitan city.

**** Technocracy And Technology In Singapore <http://bigthink.com/ideas/21853>
Parag and Ayesha Khanna, Big Think

Entrepreneurs often celebrate failure as part of the dynamic process of innovation. But in tiny Singapore, failure has never been an option. By and large, Singapore is not pursuing scientific discovery for its own sake, but rather identifying key sectors where it can marry leading-edge technology with the massive market opportunities of Asia: bio-medicine, clean-tech, and digital media.

**** Singapore's Policies Not Set In Stone: MM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1075367/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew has said Singapore's policies are not set in stone. He said the ability to improve on what has been done and basic values like meritocracy have led to Singapore's success.