[MyAppleMenu] Aug 9, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 9 18:59:01 EDT 2010

**** Review: Risk For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=588877&lsrc=rss_main>
James Savage, Macworld

**** Apple Proves That Innovation Pays Off, Even When Copied <http://www.siliconvalley.com/news/ci_15687141>
Larry Magid, San Jose Mercury News

Just because you can be copied doesn't mean you shouldn't innovate. As Apple has proved, you don't have to dominate to do well.

**** The iPhone’s Massive Opportunity <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38614741/ns/business-motley_fool/38595223>
Eric Bleeker, The Motley Fool

Think iPhone fever has peaked in the U.S.? While the iPhone commands 23% of US smartphone market share according to Nielsen's recent survey, in Japan the number is closer to 72%. The iPhone might be a smash hit in America, but in other countries where Apple has pursued a multicarrier strategy, its numbers are even more staggering.

**** Docks For Apple Gadgets Help A Business Thrive <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/technology/09ihome.html?ei=&ex=&pagewanted=all>
Eric A. Taub, New York Times

**** Review: Reeder For iPhone And iPad <http://www.macworld.com/appguide/article.html?article=153202&lsrc=rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

**** iPhone Executive Is Out At Apple <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704268004575417572159585144.html>
Yukari Iwatani Kane And Ian Sherr, Wall Street Journal

Mr. Papermaster had lost the confidence of Mr. Jobs months ago and hasn't been part of the decision-making process for some time, these people said. They added that Mr. Papermaster didn't appear to have the type of creative thinking expected at Apple and wasn't used to Apple's corporate culture, where even senior executives are expected to keep on top of the smallest details of their areas of responsibility and often have to handle many tasks directly, as opposed to delegating them.

One of these people also said Mr. Papermaster had difficulty maneuvering Apple's internal politics.

**** Review: Djay 3.1.1 <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/578172/review/djay_311.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Peter Kirn, Macworld

Djay 3.1.1 has a few rough edges with all of its ambitious additions; Auto-Cut Scratching is a mixed bag, and MIDI and AU plug-in support could use some refinement. But as an "iTunes Pro," djay is stronger than ever. Automix queuing and auto-gain alone could make it a must-buy, and having custom MIDI support, beat-matched looping, and additional effects mean it's still more versatile. It's the DJ app missing from iLife, but also a tool many serious musicians and DJs might add to their Mac for situations that call for features like quick, automatic mixes or network streaming.

**** The ‘Ode To Man’ From Sophocles’ Antigone <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2010/08/16/100816po_poem_carson>
Anne Carson, New Yorker

**** Second Lives <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2010/08/16/100816fi_fiction_alarcon>
Daniel Alarcón, New Yorker

**** The Straightforward Mermaid <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2010/08/16/100816po_poem_harvey>
Matthea Harvey, New Yorker

**** The Boomerang Effect <http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2010.09-society-the-boomerang-effect/>
Marni Jackson, The Walrus Magazine

How did the forever young generation turn into perpetual parents?

**** National Day Message (English) Delivered By PM Lee Hsien Loong <http://www.pmo.gov.sg/News/Messages/National+Day+Message+%28English%29+delivered+by+PM+Lee+Hsien+Loong.htm>
Prime Minister's Office, Singapore Government

We will develop and invest in our people, but we also need to reinforce the Singa pore team with talent and numbers from abroad. This is critical to us.

**** Rift Over Control Of Malay-based Political Party PKMS Deepens <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1074122/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

The rift appears to be deepening between the two factions fighting for control of Singapore's only Malay-based political party, the Singapore Malay National Organisation or PKMS.

**** The Meritocratic Route To Oblivion <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/08/09/the-meritocratic-route-to-oblivion/>
yawningbread, Yawning Bread

For a society and state to be healthy in the long term, we must be watchful that the powers and the resources at hand do not primarily serve the dominant and the popular, for in normal times these can take care of themselves. State powers and resources should be deployed to protect unpopular speech and marginalised persons and to nurture talents and ideas that may seem totally useless today, but should be valued as an insurance policy for the day the dominant paradigm, honed to perfection by a self-selecting elite, fails. When the meritocrats are all at sea, it may well be the outliers who will save the day.

**** From Grumblers To Gripers With Additional 5Cs <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2010/08/from-grumblers-to-gripers-with.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

**** I Want A More Equal Singapore <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-want-more-equal-singapore.html>
Sam Ho, Sam's Thoughts

I believe the government and media should take ownership in social justice, and lead by example by making the necessary changes in policy and in practice that favour the fostering of equality in this nation, regardless of gender identity and sexual orientation.

**** Singapore To Watch Inflow Of Foreigners <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703589404575417141741644172.html>
P.R. Venkat And Gaurav Raghuvanshi, Wall Street Journal

Singapore will continue to regulate the entry of foreign workers as the city-state seeks to address the concerns of its citizens while meeting a local shortfall of talent, and it will maintain a rapid pace of economic growth, prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said Sunday.

**** Singapore Urged To Reset Their Priorities <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=519763>
Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama

A Singapore senior minister has urged Singaporeans to reset their priorities in life so as to make living in the fast developing city-state meaningful. Urging Singaporeans to re-think their priorities for the betterment of the community and the country, Goh said they should not lose sight of the many more things that were going well for the country.

**** Singapore's Street Food Proves Delicious, Exotic And Sanitary <http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/travel/100115084.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ>
Dee DePass, Minneapolis Star Tribune

I had guessed that my tour group of journalists would be wined and dined at stuffy, white-linen restaurants courtesy of government aides bent on showcasing Singapore's big buck, high-brow cuisine. Wrong.

**** 红山景组屋商店拆迁赔偿 建屋局与店主又陷僵局 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp100809_005.shtml>
林慧慧, 联合早报

受选择性整体重建计划(SERS)影响的红山景组屋店主将不会获得更高赔偿,建屋发展局维持原先估价的决定,导致已两度提出增加赔偿请愿的店主与当局的协商陷入僵局。

**** Housing Inflation In Singapore’s CPI <http://furrybrowndog.wordpress.com/2010/08/09/housing-inflation-in-singapores-cpi>
Furry Brown Dog

**** Singapore Theater In The Spotlight <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/play/singapore-theater-analysed-634754>
Balvinder Sandhu, CNNGo

As two of Singapore's most active playhouses celebrate milestones, we look at the creative evolution of the country's theater and ask if there's enough support for it to thrive.

**** 45 Years Of What? <http://rachelzeng.wordpress.com/2010/08/09/45-years-of-what>
Rachel Zeng