[MyAppleMenu] Aug 8, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 8 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Executive Leaves After iPhone Antenna Troubles <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/technology/08apple.html?_r=1>
Miguel Helft, New York Times

Mark Papermaster, the Apple executive in charge of hardware for the company’s flagship iPhone, has left the company in the wake of widely reported problems with the antenna of the recently introduced iPhone 4.

It is not clear if Mr. Papermaster was ousted or left on his own accord.

**** Mac Gems: Study For Class With Cram <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/574351/review/cram_136.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Cram lets you create tests and browse them using a Mail-like window with a list of folders on the left, the list of tests in the selected folder to the right, and a preview and summary of the selected test at the bottom.

**** Big Macs On Campus <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/08/07/big-macs-on-campus/?source=yahoo_quote>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

In five years, Apple has switched places with Dell as the student laptop of choice.

**** iPod To iPhone On The Cheap <http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2010/08/07/ipod-to-iphone-on-the-cheap/?mod=yahoo_hs>
Juliet Ye, Wall Street Journal

Shenzhen-based Yosion has unveiled a product called the Apple Peel 520, a hack which can turn any iPod Touch into a cell phone. The Apple Peel attaches to an iPod Touch like any protective case, but functions as a dock, an extended battery and most intriguingly, a SIM card slot.

**** The Frugal Superpower By Michael Mandelbaum <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/aug/08/frugal-superpower-america-michael-mandelbaum?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
George Walden, The Guardian

Michael Mandelbaum, professor at Johns Hopkins University and a respected foreign policy expert, is no noisy neocon. Nor is he one of those Americans who can't wait for their country to become just one more pole in a multi-polar world. The message of this cool and concise book is: irrespective of whether you approve of US foreign policy, what matters is her shrinking financial ability to carry it out.

**** Astral Bodies <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/books/review/Lord-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
M. G. Lord, New York Times

Anyone who thinks astronauts ply a glamorous trade would do well to read Mary Roach’s “Packing for Mars.” The book is an often hilarious, sometimes queasy-making catalog of the strange stuff devised to permit people to survive in an environment for which their bodies are stupendously unsuited.

**** Never Say Die <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/books/review/Wood-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Michael Wood, New York Times

Early in Gary Shteyngart’s “Absurdistan” the narrator says he is “almost disabused” of the belief that he can fly. The word “almost” is beautifully exact. Shteyngart’s characters never give in to reality all at once. They have immigrant skills and immigrant illusions, and they come from countries that are themselves in the process of migrating: in one novel a Russia that wants to be America, in another an America that imagines it is not Russia.

**** The Kids’ Books Are All Right <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/books/review/Paul-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Pamela Paul, New York Times

It isn’t just the kids who graduated with the Hogwarts crowd who are tuning in.

**** Let Us Now Praise The Great Men Of Junk Food <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/weekinreview/08manny.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Manny Fernandez, New York Times

The death of an obscure New York entrepreneur on July 27 — Morrie Yohai, 90, a World War II veteran who was the man responsible for Cheez Doodles — was a reminder that the world of junk food is no different from celebrated American industries. The pioneers behind the automobile and the personal computer are household names, and their ingenuity and a-ha moments have become part of the folklore of American entrepreneurship. But the back story of junk food and fast food has its own moments of genius, serendipity and clever adaptations.

**** The Great White Delicacy <http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2010/08/the-great-white-delicacy/61016/>
Hank Shaw, The Atlantic

Properly handled, however, shark meat is white, firm, and surprisingly juicy. It tolerates a little overcooking the way codfish will not. Shark is firm, but not as dense as swordfish or sturgeon, and it is more tightly flaked than most fish.

**** Couple In Rental Flat Faces Eviction <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/08/couple-in-rental-flat-faces-eviction/>
Shelley Thio, The Online Citizen

**** SM Goh Urges S'poreans To Re-think Priorities For New S'pore Dream <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1074010/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Speaking at a National Day dinner on Saturday, Mr Goh said they should not lose sight of the things that are going well for the country.

**** Nuns Have Been Known To Go Wild <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/nuns-have-been-known-to-go-wild/>
Yawning Bread

I think that as much as we engage, we must continue to assert that freedom of expression is a civil right, not a gift of government, and that any engagement I participate in is one where I try to roll back the government’s unlawful encroachment upon my civil right: You are trespassing, and I am engaging with you to get you off my property; at no time am I going to concede that you have any right to squat here and deprive me of the use of my property.

**** Reform Party Responds To Desmond Lim’s Statements <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/08/reform-party-responds-to-desmond-lims-statements/>
Ng E-Jay, The Online Citizen

**** How Loyal Are Singaporeans? <http://www.e-scott.net/blog/?p=358&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=how-loyal-are-singaporeans>
Scott's Weblog

**** Anxious Parents Fuel Singapore Tutor Boom <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iU0MJ2EACtousiuoWvpxHMs7rZ_Q>
Idayu Suparto, AFP

In a high-pressure education system where raw test results matter more than anything else, parents are sparing no costs to arm their children for future competition and ensure they qualify for the top two local universities.

While schooling is virtually free at government schools where all Singaporean children go -- international schools are restricted to foreigners, with few exceptions -- private tutors can cost parents hundreds of dollars per month.

**** Still A Work In Progress <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2010/8/7/columnists/insightdownsouth/6813369&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

As Singapore prepares to celebrate its 45th National Day, public resentment continues to rise against the newcomers, threatening to rupture the social fabric of this multi-racial, overcrowded island.