[MyAppleMenu] Nov 3, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 3 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** Intel Comments On iPhone Sync Glitch <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10388577-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Brooke Crothers, CNET News.com

Intel on Monday said it is investigating a glitch that prevents an Apple iPhone from synching with certain PCs that use a new Intel chipset.

**** ScreenFlow 2 Screencasting Software Review <http://www.it-enquirer.com/main/ite/more/screenflow-2-review/>
Erik Vlietinck, IT Enquirer

Mac OS X users have several screen-casting applications to choose from, but the best one by a margin remains ScreenFlow. With the release of version 2 Telestream has upped the bar for other screen-cast software developers.

**** Bean Review: Is TextEdit Too Minimal And Word Too Much? Bean Fits Somewhere In Between <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/index.cfm?RSS&ReviewID=3642>
Karl Hodge, Macworld UK

It lacks a full word processor’s more advanced features, but Bean handles all the same files as TextEdit in an interface that’s easy to understand and looks great.

**** Apple's Shine Stems From Productivity, Not Politics <http://www.smartmoney.com/Investing/Stocks/Apples-Shine-Stems-from-Productivity-not-Politics/?afl=yahoo&hpadref=1>
Jonathan Hoenig, Smart Money

I am not a tech geek or company evangelist, but the fact that the iPhone is, quite simply, a miracle of human achievement. It’s a phone, a map, a camera, an encyclopedia, and stereo, among a thousand other uses, all for a few hundred dollars upfront and a reasonable monthly fee. Consider that my family’s old Apple II cost more than $1,200 back in the late 1970s, a hefty price for a machine that didn’t do much beyond a rudimentary version of Lemonade Stand. The iPhone demonstrates wealth creation incarnate.

**** Thursby Announces ADmitMac 5, DAVE 8 Updates <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=b0c2e77a942e4e5eaeb2e29ba3156dbb>
MacNN

Harry McCracken, Technologizer

Is any of this too much to ask for? I’d cheerfully pay a lot more than $30 a month to the first company who offers it.

**** Apple To Reinvent Apple TV...For The Rest Of Us <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2009/11/apple_tvmaybe_f.html>
Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

It seems Apple is rethinking its TV strategy, in a way that might—if the company can pull it off—give consumers the option to pay Apple less than half as much as they currently pay their cable or satellite provider for a monthy TV subscription.

**** Why China Isn't Buying The iPhone <http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opinions/view/opinion/Why-China-Isnt-Buying-the-iPhone-1474>
Carl Franzen, The Atlantic

A few tech writers are congratulating themselves for predicting the disappointing debut of the iPhone in China on Friday. Many have linked to the various reports from The Wall Street Journal's Loretta Chao, who closely followed the run-up and launch of the product, which she says netted a "lukewarm" reception. What accounts for Apple's hard luck? Bloggers offer several theories.

**** You Win Some, You Lose Some: A Review Of Apple's Magic Mouse <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/wtd7lRfmA9I/you-win-some-you-lose-some-a-review-of-apples-magic-mouse.ars>
Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica

Apple attempts to reinvent the mouse with its new Magic Mouse. It offers multitouch gestures and brings a new dimension to scrolling, while dropping some useful features from its predecessor.

**** Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard): Click-Through In Finder Windows <http://www.betalogue.com/2009/11/02/click-through/>
Pierre Igot, Betalogue

With such inconsistencies, it is pretty much impossible for the user to develop instinctive habits in his or her interactions with the Finder, and he or she ends up constantly having to correct the inappropriate/unexpected behaviour triggered by his or her mouse clicks.

**** Review: Google Picasa 3.5 Photo Organizer <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=5da551ebe96de853231a4c9c1dbd2aaa>
Kris Fong, Macworld

If you use an older version of iPhoto but want the newer features, switching to Picasa is a no-brainer. If you use Photoshop or another image editor, Picasa makes a great photo-management companion. It’s free, so why not give it a go?

**** Orange, Apple Drop Exclusivity On iPhone In France -Regulator <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FBT-CO-20091103-708510.html&usg=AFQjCNEpsx9mSkd118-jbDcoZqMfyAhW9g>
Dow Jones

**** It Knows Where You Are, And What You’re Looking For <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=60f915dcb11c36557edf3458bed6c9c5>
Claire Cain Miller, New York Times

Big Web companies and start-ups alike are scrambling to create the best applications to allow users to search for surrounding businesses and events from a mobile phone. Loopt, a service that lets people find their friends on the go, is now entering the crowded field.

**** Chick Lit Offers Fully Rounded Heroines For Fully Rounded Women <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/nov/01/chick-lit-heroines-weight-fiction>
Amelia Hill, Guardian

"Chick lit" has relied for years on repetitive plot lines with heroines who agonise about their weight as they swig chardonnay, smoke cigarettes and have sex with their boss. But the latest publishing phenomenon to sweep America, which has just arrived over here, features a new heroine: the young woman who is seriously overweight – and doesn't care.

**** Collecting Headlines Funnier Than This <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=358fbb936cdc6c083c11fd3cf6a41747>
Eric Konigsberg, New York Times

Headlines in the satirical weekly newspaper The Onion tend to function both as punch line and setup, in that order. They are the heart of the paper, and not only the first thing anybody reads, but also, unlike headlines in real newspapers all over the world, the first things to be written.

**** HDB Turns Community Builder <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC091103-0000102/HDB-turns-community-builder>
Esther Ng, Today

>From familiar squabbles among neighbours, to a new source of tension as more immigrants populate the heartlands - such issues will be tackled by the Housing and Development Board (HDB) as it moves beyond its main role as provider of affordable public housing.

**** Measuring Economic Performance: Looking Beyond GDP <http://geraldgiam.sg/2009/11/measuring-economic-performance-looking-beyond-gdp/>
Gerald Giam

**** Is PM Lee Looking For The Next Generation Of Leaders Or Sheep? <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/11/02/is-pm-lee-looking-for-the-next-generation-of-leaders-or-sheep/>
The Temasek Review

Under usual circumstances, it is risky to field so many new and untested candidates in a general election, but the PAP has cleverly engineered the electoral system in such a way that they can be almost assured of a victory by riding on the “coat-tails” of a heavyweight minister in a GRC.

**** HDB Annual Report : Deficit Has Doubled – Really? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/11/hdb-annual-report-deficit-has-doubled-%e2%80%93-really/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Letter To Andy Ho, And His Response <http://woooooh.blogspot.com/2009/11/letter-to-andy-ho-and-his-response.html>
Olivia Choong, I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself!

I don't think his commentary communicates his intended message. What do you think?

**** 中国网友愤怒了:新加坡为什么总和中国过不去 <http://www.xinjunshi.com/Article/zlps/12511.html>
新軍事網

新加坡屡屡在中国互联网引起愤怒,责任主要还在新加坡自己。

**** 李总理、李资政与吴资政同声告诫行动党党员 世上没任何政党能永远执政 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp091103_001.shtml>
周殊钦, 联合早报

没有永远的支持、也没有所谓永远的执政。前两任总理、内阁资政李光耀和国务资政吴作栋及现任总理李显龙,都向人民行动党党员提出告诫,要不断与时并进,不能自满。

**** Op-Ed: Medical Tourism -- Outsourcing Your Health <http://www.latimes.com/features/health/medicine/la-oe-dugan3-2009nov03,0,4342765.story>
Judy Dugan, Los Angeles Times

Pitching lower costs, 'international hospitals' are trying to make inroads into the U.S. healthcare system. But are they just a remedy for insurance companies?

**** The Bilingual Policy & Its Victims <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2009/11/bilingual-policy-its-victims.html>
Mr Wang Says So

The biggest problem was the government's rigid insistence (that lasted for many years) that a student who wished to progress to the next higher stage of education would have to pass both English and Chinese - entirely regardless of what he wanted to study, at the next stage.

**** 组屋区不应该有24小时行业 陈佳誉 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl091103_005.shtml>
陈佳誉, 联合早报

大多数居民并不需要24小时服务的商店或咖啡店,即使有些在工厂上夜班的,可能会光顾咖啡店和商店,但他们应该是极少数人而已。绝大多数组屋居民并不需要24小时服务的任何行业设立在他们楼下或附近,反而希望这些24小时业务能及早移走,以便远离噪音和环境污染。

How the heck did this guy 'know' that the majority of residents do not want 24-hour services near their flats?

**** Fined $1.7m For Price Fixing <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_449738.html>
Maria Almenoar, Straits Times

Sixteen coach bus companies and the Express Bus Agencies Association have been fined $1.69 million by the Competition Competition Commission of Singapore (CCS) for fixing the prices of express bus tickets to Malaysia.

**** Singapore's Temasek Bidding For Taikang Life Stake: Reports <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marketwatch.com%2Fstory%2Ftemasek-others-bidding-for-taikang-stake-reports-2009-11-02&usg=AFQjCNE0fELZacJhgze1w-wZ9S_uPp-JFQ>
MarketWatch

Singapore's state-backed investment fund Temasek Holdings is expected to submit a bid for a stake in China's Taikang Life worth more than $1 billion, according to news reports.

**** 李光耀的言论暴露出新加坡是美国围堵中国的桥头堡 <http://blog.huanqiu.com/?uid-148271-action-viewspace-itemid-363746>
月下听涛的个人空间

这就是李光耀跑到美国,为美国策划围堵中国的方略,充当美国的狗头军师,在亚洲继续狐假虎威,甘当美国的马前卒,执行敌视中国的政策,其险恶的居心昭然若揭,但是,以新加坡的国力,能够胜任吗?

**** 对新加坡李光耀发言的思考 <http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4b7c8ab50100fgxy.html>
静以养心 俭以养德

新加坡这个国家我一直不爽,美国的一条狗,人不做,做狗,一定要提防这个国家,希望还没有认清新加坡国家的人认识到这个国家对我们国家的巨大威胁。

**** Whither The Leaders? <http://todayinsingapore.wordpress.com/2009/11/03/whither-the-leaders/>
Today In Singapore

Hardly the “I had a dream” type of inspirational speechmaking from a leader. Reflecting, even he recognised his response was downright effete.

**** Lee Kuan Yew Was Wrong. <http://singaporeanskeptic.blogspot.com/2009/11/lee-kuan-yew-was-wrong.html>
Singaporean Skeptic

The feed-back mechanism the PAP government has in place is defective. The only way an MP can understand the ground is if they are affected directly. No wonder some people have to throw chairs to get their attention.

**** An Alliance Between Singapore Opposition Parties: A Dream Too Far? <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/11/03/can-the-singapore-opposition-work-together/>
Kelvin Teo, The Temasek Review

The obstacles to the formation of an alliance cannot be ignored, and careful planning must be invested to maximize the advantages and minimize the pitfalls. That being said, the fact remains that if an alliance of opposition parties (possibly in future) in a GRC fight is able to produce good results, such will be a clear demonstration of the opposition’s ability to work together effectively as a unified front.

**** Five Political Risks To Watch In Singapore <http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009/11/03/afx7076519.html>
Andrew Marshall and Nopporn Wong-Anan, Reuters

**** “Look at the science”, Mr Ho – A Letter To The Straits Times <http://www.greenkampong.com/green_reporter/look-at-the-science-mr-ho-a-letter-to-the-straits-times/>
Green Kampong

"Mr. Ho urges Singapore not to be “bamboozled” by Western leaders to take climate action, but it seems that the real bamboozling is coming from another source."

**** APEC Meeting First Event To Be Gazetted Under New Public Order Act <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1015617/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

The APEC meeting in Singapore is the first major event to be gazetted as a "Special Event" under the amended Public Order Act introduced earlier this year.

**** New Opposition Candidate Expected In Potong Pasir <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1015625/1/.html>
Today

It is likely that Potong Pasir Member of Parliament Chiam See Tong will contest in a Group Representation Constituency (GRC) in the next General Election, which is due by February 2012. According to Singapore People's Party (SPP) chairman Sin Kek Tong, "someone new" will be fielded to defend the Potong Pasir ward - a constituency that Mr Chiam has represented since 1984.

**** US 'indispensable' In Asia: Singapore PM <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ptinews.com%2Fnews%2F359773_US--indispensable--in-Asia--Singapore-PM&usg=AFQjCNGY6g8bzr8OdPjjJe41bA6ozSv2XQ>
AFP

The United States plays an "Indispensable" role in Asia despite the rise of China and India and should be part of any new regional group, Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said today.

**** Singapore To Offer Chinese-language Domain Names <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcworld.com%2Farticle%2F181264%2Fsingapore_to_offer_chineselanguage_domain_names.html&usg=AFQjCNHThTrjl4JxQVANyoK7Lm5VK45zZA>
Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service

The Singapore Network Information Center (SGNIC) will begin registering Chinese-language domain names later this month, the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) said Tuesday.

**** New Heights For Singapore Property <http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/KK04Ae01.html>
Megawati Wijaya, Asia Times

A bubbling property market represents the latest indication that Singapore is recovering from its global crisis-induced economic doldrums.