[MyAppleMenu] Nov 1, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Nov 1 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** First Look: Apple's 27" Big Screen iMac <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/31/first_look_apples_27_big_screen_imac.html>
AppleInsider

**** Review: VMware Fusion 3 <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/vmware-fusion-3.html>
Jon Fingas, MacNN

**** Review: 27-Inch iMac, The World’s Sexiest Desktop Just Got Sexier <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/3nA9igZJTZ0/20100>
Leander Kahney, Cult of Mac

**** Reports Coming In Of DST-related Snow Leopard Issues <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/01/reports-coming-in-of-dst-related-snow-leopard-issues/>
Michael Rose, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

The Apple support boards are hopping with reports of 100% CPU spikes coinciding with the switchover from DST between 1 am and 2 am, mostly associated with having the menu bar clock enabled and/or having the clock automatic set feature turned on.

**** Think Those Warranty Parts Are New? Think Again <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/01/think-those-warranty-parts-are-new-think-again/>
Josh Carr, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

The iPhone that you just received looks new on the outside because it has new glass, a new case, new battery... but the rest of the device is fair game for refurbished parts.

**** Prototype: Everybody In The Pool Of Green Innovation <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=3b47b2e2478256444626ce5520c84c8a>
Mary Tripsas, New York Times

**** The Perfect Traveler <http://www.worldhum.com/features/travel-books/the-perfect-traveler-20091026/>
Pico Iyer, World Hum

Really, I suppose, the ideal traveler, or travel companion, offers a happy blend of steadiness and surprise. I make up such lists of characteristics often, in my head, and scroll quickly through some of the obvious suspects (Graham Greene, D.H. Lawrence, Herman Melville, Annie Dillard). And then, somehow, I alight, over and over, on a man who seems to be wearing a silk dressing gown and is best known for his novels (though in his lifetime he was celebrated as a dramatist). We read “Of Human Bondage,” “The Razor’s Edge” or “The Moon and Sixpence” for their familiar characters, their unembarrassed intensity and, perhaps, behind all that, their exotic scenes; but the reason Somerset Maugham is still commanding readers almost 50 years after his death, and the reason Hollywood keeps turning to him for new movies (“Up at the Villa,” “Being Julia,” “The Painted Veil”) is that he was a classic traveler, disguising his hunger for romance, and even for transcendence, behind the cool demeanor of an unillusioned, above-it-all, often feline Englishman.

**** A Room Of Her Own <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/23/AR2009102302144.html?wprss=rss_print/washpostmagazine>
Karen Houppert, Washington Post

Her college feminism professor taught her to learn through rigorous inquiry. Then Marcia Carlisle died and left her former student to answer the biggest question yet.

**** A Final Verdict On The Presidential Salute <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/opinion/01winfrey.html?_r=1>
Carey Winfrey, New York Times

Presidents have long been saluted, but they began returning salutes relatively recently.

**** A Tour Of Literary Manhattan <http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-tr-nybooks1-2009nov01>
Terri Colby, Los Angeles Times

Holly Golightly kept me company -- courtesy of Truman Capote's "Breakfast at Tiffany's" -- on my latest trip to Manhattan. It was an excursion that combined my passion for books with my love of travel.

**** Empire Falls: The Revolutions of 1989 <http://www.thenation.com/doc/20091116/suny/single>
Ronald Grigor Suny, The Nation

History is always more complicated and messy than the moral and ideological tales it may be called to serve.

**** Lim Boon Heng Says Strong Leaders Key To Continued Success Of PAP <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1015006/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

At a PAP event on Saturday evening, party chairman Lim Boon Heng said that the party's continued success depended on identifying committed leaders to stand for elections, maintaining its core values and staying in touch with the ground.

**** Social Isolation – Left Among The Dead <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/11/social-isolation-left-among-the-dead/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

The location of the Lim Chu Kang dormitory smacks of a policy of social isolation for these foreign workers. While one can understand the shortage of space in Singapore to provide housing for these workers, one wonders if siting their living quarters, in an isolated area of Singapore and within a cemetery, with little amenities and with the nearest bus stop some 5 km away, is a “humane” solution which Ms Ng mentioned and which Mr Mah had agreed is a consideration for the government.

**** Singapore Among Economies To Blame For Financial Secrecy <http://business.asiaone.com/Business/News/Story/A1Story20091101-177108.html>
The Straits Times

Leading economic centres, including the United States, Britain and Singapore, are among the countries most to blame for promoting international financial secrecy, according to a new index comparing the harm allegedly done by tax havens and rich nations.

**** Singapore Getting Cold Feet Over Its Worsening International Image <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/11/01/singapore-getting-cold-feet-over-its-worsening-international-image/>
The Temasek Review

Obviously the regime is becoming worried and paranoid over the deluge of negative publicity that Singapore has been getting in the last two years from the international press and NGOs which is largely their own doing.

**** Some Promising PAP Candidates Identified For Next Election: PM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1015089/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said the People's Action Party (PAP) has already identified some promising candidates and potential office-holders – mainly in their thirties and forties – for the next general election.

**** The Self-Defeating Effects Of Fear And Paranoia <http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/clement-tan/the-self-defeating-effects-of-fear-.htm>
Clement Tan, Asian Correspondent

Sure, these are ideal types and any approach to governance would be a shrewd mix of both, but if Singapore truly wants the kind of creative and entrepreneurial spirit to take root organically and if China wants to lead the world and be respected on their terms, an honest appraisal and rethink should be on the cards.

**** Three Days Of Fantastic Classics <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/11/01/three-days-fantastic-classics.html>
Erza S.T., The Jakarta Post

While Singapore Sun Festival 2009 ended just a week ago, great impressions and comments from concerts they held this year are still far from ending.

**** Next General Election Crucial: Singapore PM <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.xinhuanet.com%2Fenglish%2F2009-11%2F01%2Fcontent_12368689.htm&usg=AFQjCNFI5zr9pkxIEIx-qcvFZ6fKPZtFGg>
Xinhua

Singapore's prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Sunday that the next general election will be very important as it must produce a line-up of leaders who can take over from him and his senior Cabinet colleagues.

**** A Closer Look At Andy Ho’s “Reasons For Singapore To Be Cool On Global Warming” <http://www.greenkampong.com/green_reporter/a-closer-look-at-andy-hos-reasons-for-singapore-to-be-cool-on-global-warming/>
Olivia Choong, Green Kampong

There are more points that Andy has raised, but we will leave it up to you to decide how believable it is.

**** Attempt to Manipulate And Confuse Public Thinking On Climate Change <http://www.asiaisgreen.com/2009/11/01/attempt-to-manipulate-and-confuse-public-thinking-on-climate-change/>
AsiaIsGreen.com

As a compulsive reader of The Straits Times, I am disappointed and appalled by Mr Ho’s attempt to manipulate and confuse public thinking on climate change and the urgent actions needed, based on misleading claims and references in his article. This is a serious dent in this most widely-read national newspaper’s reputation, neutrality and journalistic integrity.

**** Andy Ho Shares His Greater Knowledge On Climate Change <http://sggreendrinks.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/andy-ho-shares-his-greater-knowledge-on-climate-change/>
Green Drinks Singapore

We should use our writing constuctively to inform and spur positive changes, and it would greatly help to verify the facts, and therefore not mislead – journalistic integrity counts.

**** Sembawang Music To Close <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_449066.html>
Shuli Sudderuddin, Straits Times

Said owner and founder Dave Boo, 56: 'We've liquidated the company and are filing for bankruptcy. Right now, all our energy is on clearing our stock and making as many sales as we can.'

**** New Media Tools Get Prominent Showing At PAP Convention <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1015148/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

**** SG Citizenship Is Worth About $7,503-$10,583 More Than PRs A Year <http://singaporewatch.org/?p=1253>
Singapore Watch

**** Sheng Siong, Wet Markets And Free Speech <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2971-sheng-siong-wet-markets-and-free-speech>
Singapore Democrats

So the next anyone says that democracy and political rights have nothing to do with bread-and-butter issues, remember: Sheng Siong, wet markets, and PAP MPs.

**** Elect Lee Kuan Yew <http://braggito.blogspot.com/2009/10/elect-lee-kuan-yew.html>
Ilonggo Sa Desyerto

We often hear calls to elect leaders like Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore. However, it is easier said than done in the Philippines. The Filipino people may elect a leader with the qualities of ‘Lee Kuan Yew’ but once he is in the office, they’ll throw whatever garbage and baseless accusations they have towards him. He would have to face several coup de etat, marching priests and nuns, demonstrations in EDSA and character assassination from the opposition. If he survives the office, he’ll leave a broken man.

**** Canberra Stretches Singapore's Patience <http://www.smh.com.au/business/canberra-stretches-singapores-patience-20091101-hrlr.html>
Matt O'Sullivan, Sydney Morning Herald

The Rudd government has told Singapore Airlines to be patient about its long-harboured aspirations to fly between Australia and the United States.

**** PAP Abandoned Potong Pasir? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_449149.html>
Rachael Chang, Straits Times

While there is the need to look after those in Potong Pasir who voted for the PAP, the party must be careful not to be taken advantage of, prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said, recalling the 2006 election.

**** S'pore Still Needs Foreigners <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_449150.html>
Cai Haoxiang, Straits Times

**** To PAP : You Need Better MPs... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/11/to-pap-you-need-better-mps.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind