[MyAppleMenu] May 26, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 26 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Automating Twitter <http://www.macworld.com/article/140753/2009/05/twitterautomator.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Benjamin Waldie, Macworld

Jason Snell recently explained how to use Applescript to automate the popular Twitter client Twitterific. But, with the help of some simple shell scripting, you can also send quick status updates directly to Twitter from within an Automator workflow.

**** Iphone Apps Are Google's Biggest Threat In Mobile Search <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=1611>
by Jason Hiner, TechRepublic

In my tests with the iPhone, I discovered that Google is usually my last resort for finding information. In fact, I typically only use Google search 2-3 times per day from the iPhone.

**** Make The Most Of The Genius Bar <http://www.macworld.com/article/140602/2009/05/geniusbar.html>
by Ted Landau, Macworld

Five ways to prepare yourself, and your broken Mac, for a trip to the Apple Store.

**** The Incredible App Store Hype <http://www.stromcode.com/2009/05/24/the-incredible-app-store-hype/>
by Stromcode

The app store isn’t a sane marketplace at all, any more than the lottery is.

**** New Yorker Cover Drawn Entirely On An iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140776/2009/05/new_yorker_cover_drawn_entirely_on_an_iphone.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Cyrus Farivar, Macworld

**** Apple iWork '09 <http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/reviews/FB380E20A1B00509CC2575C100714456>
by James Sugrue, PCWorld

iWork may not have some of the features of the 900-pound-gorilla that is Microsoft Office – but if you’re a wordsmith, a presenter, or want to do a bit of budgeting, then iWork ’09 has everything you will ever need, and nothing you won’t. Steve likes it that way.

**** Control iTunes In The Background <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=4d0e03cc712850f8bbf778266f653eb5>
by Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** Microsoft Vine Could Save Your Hide <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10248781-2.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0>
by Rafe Needleman, CNET

At its core, Vine is based on a new Microsoft platform for routing communications between different systems. The platform is built to know the various ways there are to reach anyone using it, and it tries multiple methods until it gets its message through.

**** Memory Arpeggios In Updike's Sunset <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/26/books/26Kaku.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Michiko Kakutani, New York Times

That, in pouring his life “into words,” he not only preserved “the thing consumed,” but also offered a lasting “toast to the visible world,” which he commemorated with such ardor and precision.

**** The Urban President <http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/05/26/urban_obama/>
by Mike Madden, Salon

Unlike all his predecessors since Kennedy, Obama is an engaged city dweller &mdash; just like the majority of Americans.

**** I Hate To Sound Like Andy Rooney, Especially On Memorial Day, But... <http://correspondents.theatlantic.com/james_warren/2009/05/i_hate_to_sound_like_andy_rooney_especially_on_memorial_day_but.php>
by James Warren, The Atlantic

Gone was the seemingly tried-and-true system of hitting an up or down button next to an elevator, then awaiting one whose "up" sign (usually white light) or "down" sign (usually red light) above the door strongly suggested your next move.

**** Lee Bee Wah: Where Is Your Professionalism And Integrity? <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9793>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

As the president of STTA, she represents the organization and her words and actions so far has reflected very badly on the sporting fraternity as well as the image of Singaporeans in the international community.

**** 2 In Procession Fined <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_381526.html>
by Elena Chong, Straits Times

A lawyer and a housewife were fined on Monday for taking part in an assembly and procession without a permit with more than a dozen people last year.

**** SIA In Another Row <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_381531.html>
by Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times

Singapore Airlines, already embroiled in a five-month dispute with travel agents in India over sales commissions, now faces a similar problem Down Under.

**** Call For More Transparency <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_381560.html>
by Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

The conduct and investment practices of Temasek Holdings and Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC) came under scrutiny on Monday - and they were found wanting.

The need to be more transparent in their investments for greater public scrutiny and for a review of the way they manage Singapore's reserves were issues raised by three MPs.

**** Swedish International Liberal Centre Says: We Are Not Funding NMP <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,203114,00.html?>
by Liew Hanqing, New Paper

Mr Johan Skarendal, 29, a member of the Swedish International Liberal Centre (SILC), has rubbished online allegations that Mr Siew Kum Hong had asked for and is receiving foreign funding from his organisation.

**** Low Backs Economic Model <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_381760.html>
by Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times

The government's export-oriented economic growth model, which has come under attack recently, received support from an unexpected source on Monday - opposition leader Low Thia Khiang.

The Workers' Party chief and Hougang MP defended the long-held growth model, saying in Mandarin: 'I believe it is correct to attract foreign investments to encourage competition in a free market, to open up our market and to go global and...integrate with the global economy.'

**** Singapore Culture <http://phillips.blogs.com/goc/2009/05/singapore-culture.html>
by Michael Phillips, Pro Commerce

What we call art-culture is the by-product of diversity and meritocracy. Singapore is nearly all Chinese, not diverse like most entrepots. Without the specialization that goes with industry, and the necessary meritocracy neither get much weight in Singapore.

**** Suicide In Singapore <http://lohandbehold.wordpress.com/2009/05/26/suicide-in-singapore/>
by Loh And Behold

**** Continuing STTA Saga <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2009/05/continuiing-stta-saga.html>
by Singapore Recalcitrant

What seems to be mind-boggling is the non-chalant attitude of the government in this saga.

**** SM Goh On 3 Principles Guiding &quot;Changes&quot; To Political System To Perpetuate PAP Rule In The Face Of A Restless Citizenry <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9785>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

Without constant external pressure from the citizenry exerted on the PAP to reform the broken system they have perpetuated over the years, any “changes” implemented by the PAP will be cosmetic at best.

Singaporeans must not be hoodwinked by the PAP anymore to believe that they will heed our calls to liberalize the political system and space to allow more room for dissenting views to be heard.

**** Singapore Warms To Economic Zone Proposal <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a7677ede-498d-11de-9e19-00144feabdc0.html>
by John Burton, Financial Times

Malaysia appears to have won support from Singapore for its plan to build a huge economic zone near the city-state that could foster closer economic co-operation between the two countries after years of bitter rivalry.

**** 刘程强: 政治操作系统有缺陷 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090526_531.shtml>
by 联合早报

如果政治制度可用维持各种软件良好运行的电脑操作系统来作为比喻,反对党议员刘程强认为我国这个政治操作系统存有内在缺陷,缺少让执政党以外的政党发展的元素,因而达不到我国当初采纳英国议会民主制度时所要达到的监督和制衡两大作用。

**** Pleading Guilty To Assembly And Procession Without Permit - Why Pay More? <http://chiatilik.wordpress.com/2009/05/26/pleading-guilty-to-assembly-and-procession-without-permit/>
by Chia Ti Lik

To me, someone who has had the audacity to stand for public office, it was a simple matter of principle, of truthfulness and accountability, of being having the guts to break the law and face the consequences. Furthermore, the $400 is money from my own pocket which i will gladly pay as the price.

**** Panel To Work With Filmmakers <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_381826.html>
by Aaron Low, Straits Times

A new advisory committee on films said they will work with filmmakers so that party political films they make are objectively assessed.

**** Mediacorp Tries To Be Funny Again <http://miyagi.sg/2009/05/mediacorp-tries-to-be-funny-again/>
by My Very Own Glob

"I was saddened and angered to learn that this is how Mediacorp treats working actors today."

**** China, Australia To Build Final Leg Of Asian Railway <http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-05-15-voa15.cfm>
by Luke Hunt, Voice Of America

Chinese and Australian engineers are gearing up to build the final stretch of track in the Trans-Asian Railway, which will link Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand with Vietnam and China through Cambodia.

**** But Butterflies Are Free <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/toc-editorial-but-butterflies-are-free/>
by The Online Citizen

The questions now being raised in the raging debate in the US are applicable to Singapore as well, such as how to prevent misuse or who should be accountable for abuses. Most of all – are such tactics or legislation actually effective or even necessary?

Such questions are pertinent given that the use of the ISA has been stepped up in recent years, and particularly since the vast majority of detainees (both past and present) being Singaporeans rather than foreigners. It seems that, at present, a state which is supposed to be the guardian of a citizen’s liberty can all too easily turn into his gaoler.

**** 6 Staff Left STTA After Lee Bee Wah Became President Who Needs 3 Deputy Presidents And 4 Vice Presidents To 'Assist' Her <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9805>
by The Wayang Party Club

>From the blunders made by STTA so far in the handling of the Liu Guodong saga, it is clear that Lee Bee Wah and her committee are not performing up to the standard expected of them.

**** 'Pick And Choose' MNCs <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_381854.html>
by Derrick Ho, Straits Times

Singapore should adopt a 'pick and choose' strategy when trying to attract multinational companies (MNCs) here, a backbencher advocated in Parliament on Tuesday.

Instead of a 'all are welcome' approach, Singapore should offer maximum concessions particularly to international firms that are prepared to invest here for the long-haul, said Mr Liang Eng Hwa, MP for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, in his speech during the debate on the President's address

**** 2 More 'No's On Reserves <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_381857.html>
by Derrick Ho, Straits Times

**** Make NMP Scheme Permanent <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_381867.html>
by Derrick Ho, Straits Times

After being tried and tested for 19 years, it is time to make the Nominated Members of Parliament (NMP) scheme a permanent feature of Parliament, Nominated MP Loo Choon Yong said on Tuesday.

**** Teach Character Values <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_381907.html>
by Straits Times

The apparent lack of civility and gracious behaviour during the recent Association of Women for Action and Research (Aware) saga is a clear indication that Singapore is still lagging behind in graciousness, said MP Lim Biow Chuan (Maine Parade GRC) on Tuesday. He urged schools to teach basic character values to students all the way till university level.

**** MPs Call For Some Changes In Education Sector <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/431900/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

MPs have urged the Ministry of Education to revamp parts of the curriculum in schools.

**** ST Letter In Response To China Worker Jailed For 10 Weeks <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/st-letter-in-response-to-china-worker-jailed-for-10-weeks/>
by The Online Citizen

A worker driven to attempt suicide is most likely an individual who is desperate rather than criminal-minded. While risky acts that endanger public safety must be deterred, it seems misguided to punish Mr. Zhao without giving due recognition to the underlying factors that drive one to such acts.

**** PAP MPs Rebut Low THia Khiang's Views On Role of Opposition Party <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/431930/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia