[MyAppleMenu] May 22, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 22 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Apple Stores Hosting SUmmer Training Camps For Kids <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple_stores_hosting_summer_training_camps_for_kids/>
by Jeff Gamet, The Mac Observer

**** MacBook Pro Goes Up In Green Flames <http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/macbook-pro-goes-up-in-green-flames/>
by Charlie Sorrel, Wired

**** Globs 1.1.2 For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140692/2009/05/globs.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Chris Barylick, Macworld

There are a few certainties in this world; the sun will rise in the east, your neighbor’s yippy dog will keep yipping at two in the morning and there will always be someone working to put out a good platform-shooter video game. Enter Globs, a platform-based, arcade style shooter for the iPhone and iPod touch by Chad Towns in which you take control of Nerdman, a geeky biologist who must explore alien worlds, shooting creatures known as “boogers” with his blaster while collecting eyeballs for scientific research.

**** Clipstart For Mac Organizes Video Sans Flashy Features <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/05/review-clipstart-for-mac-organizes-video-sans-flashy-features.ars>
by Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica

If you have been searching for a solution for organizing those three-minute videos you've been shooting, then look no further: for $29, you can't really go wrong. I can't yet attest to its speed with thousands of movies, but it is quite snappy with the amount I have in my library. Although the software may not have all the features you want in an application like this, I have a good feeling that this won't be sitting at 1.0 for long.

**** Typing-Expansion Software <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/typing-expansion-software/>
by David Pogue, New York Times

Typing-expansion programs are so fast and effortless that I can’t understand why everybody’s not using them.

**** AT&T CEO Confirms Cheaper iPhone Rate Plans Considered <http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/21/atandt-ceo-confirms-cheaper-iphone-rate-plans-considered/>
by Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com

The cheaper rates, however, would come with limits on the amount of data that can be transfered.

**** More App Store Stupidity - iPhone eBook App Rejected For Including Karma Sutra <http://cultofmac.com/more-app-store-stupid-eucalyptus-rejected-by-apple-multiple-times-for-no-reason-at-all/11033>
by Craig Grannell, Cult Of Mac

It seems Apple, not content with plumbing the depths by rejecting Tweetie for a rude word being in the day’s Twitter trends, has now rejected an e-book reader, because you can potentially read ‘objectionable’ content on it.

**** Apple's 11 Most Intriguing Computer Designs <http://www.pcworld.com/article/165320/apples_11_most_intriguing_computer_designs.html>
by Ashley Laurel Wilson, CIO

>From the first Apple to the MacBook Air, Macs have been regarded as technologically innovative, beautiful in product design and, over time, become just plain cool.

**** DIY Apps: Now Showing On An iPhone Near You <http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/05/21/digital.diyapps/?iref=mpstoryview>
by Cherise Fong, CNN

Just as everyone can publish their own blog on the Web, now developers are making it possible for everyone to make their own applications for iPhones.

**** They're Fast, They're Cheap, And I'm Out Of Control <http://www.slate.com/id/2218844/?from=rss>
by Farhad Manjoo, Slate

I've never been much of a gamer, so I've never had a DS or any other handheld. How did Apple turn me into a gaming obsessive?

**** Heeeere's ... Conan!!! <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24Conan-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Lynn Hirschberg, New York Times

"Afterward, Johnny Carson came over to me and said, 'Good luck to you.' He said, 'Just be yourself &mdash; that's the only way it can work.' There's an opportunity to put my stamp on this show. I've got an ego, and I want to do my 'Tonight Show.'"

**** Flights <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/22732>
by Julian Barnes, The New York Review Of Books

Hearing of John Updike's death in January of this year, I had two immediate, ordinary reactions. The first was a protest—"But I thought we had him for another ten years"; the second, a feeling of disappointment that Stockholm had never given him the nod. The latter was a wish for him, and for American literature, the former a wish for me, for us, for Updikeans around the world.

**** Disturbances Of Peace <http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=cd5b73e0-bb67-4c8c-b986-14998b4382b9&p=1>
by Adam Kirsch, The New Republic

Inventing Chinese poetry meant not just translating it, but also teaching people how to read it.

**** MOE's Decision To Drop AWARE As External Vendor Regrettable: AWARE President <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/430901/1/.html>
by Tan Yew Guan, Channel NewsAsia

While it understands the ministry's decision as it has been under considerable pressure from some parents on the matter, AWARE said it still believes that its comprehensive sexuality education programme is a much needed resource for youth.

**** Remembering The 22 <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/remembering-the-22/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

In a simple but solemn gathering at Speakers’ Corner on Thursday, about 100 people observed the 22nd anniversary of the arrest and detention of 22 social activists by the Internal Security Department in May, 1987.

**** Activists Hold Rally At Hong Lim Park To Call For Justice For 1987 ISA Detainees <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=3088>
by Sgpolitics.net

**** Exploring Fares For Disabled <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_379932.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times

Bus operator SBS Transit is looking into offering concession fares to commuters with physical disabilities. It is considering doing this on its buses first, and the same for trains later.

**** Could It Have Saved Lives? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,202697,00.html?>
by Pearly Tan, New Paper

Could lives have been saved if the report on workers' safety when carried in lorries had been completed on time? MP Halimah Yacob thinks so.

**** No Proposal From Potong Pasir Town Council To Upgrade Lifts To Stop At Every Floor <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_379902.html>
by Chee Kheng Chye, Housing &amp; Development Board, Straits Times

We would like to clarify that HDB has not received any proposal from Potong Pasir Town Council for upgrading works to enable lifts to stop at every floor.

**** Why Temasek Sold Its Stake In BoA <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_379983.html>
by Myrna Thomas, Temasek Holdings, Straits Times

Our investment thesis had changed from Merrill's specific businesses to the more diversified BoA linkage to the broader US economy. The risk-return environment had also changed substantially.

We decided to divest our BoA stake after considering all relevant factors.

**** Aware Rivals Slammed <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_380132.html>
by Theresa Tan &amp; Amelia Tan, Straits Times

Education minister Ng Eng Hen had strong words on Thursday for the parties in the recent Association of Women for Action and Research (Aware) leadership tussle.

He said that as both sides went at each other, 'schools were dragged into this melee, and could have become the proxy arena for competing ideologies'. 'Issues became muddled, emotions ran high. This is an unhealthy, unproductive way to try to resolve issues that are inherently divisive.'

**** Sex Education In Singapore: It's Getting From Bad To Worse <http://kennethism.com/2009/05/21/sex-education-in-singapore-its-getting-from-bad-to-worse/>
by Kennethism

The sad state of affairs really boils down to this: that our education ministry insists on teaching values, not facts, in sexuality education class.

**** Distance-Based ERP Charges On The Way? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/321370.asp>
by Neo Chai Chin, Today

Chairman of the government parliamentary committee for transport Lim Wee Kiak said such a system was fairer, as it would not penalise drivers who mistakenly pass under multiple gantries.

**** Steps To Be Disabled-Friendly <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/321326.asp>
by Foo Hee Jug, Singapore General Hospital, Eugene Soh, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Today

Our food courts are public amenities and are easily accessible to wheelchair patrons who may be outpatients, visitors and staff. This is part of our efforts to be disabled-friendly.

**** Malaysian PM Bids To End Rows On Visit To Singapore <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ggcZY7Xim8TtSk41OcHGC4tQxMEw>
by AFP

Malaysia's new premier Najib Razak began his first official visit to Singapore Thursday, with plans to rise above the long-running quarrels that have undermined relations between the neighbours.

**** Dr Ng Eng Hen's Revised Approach To Sex Education In Schools Fair And Balanced <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9636>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club

MOE’s sex education programme retains the same framework as Aware’s CSE: contraception will be taught in additional to promoting abstinence. Homosexuals will not be discriminated against and are assured of their own private space. The substance remains the same, only the form differs.

**** Lee Bee Wah Should Take A Leaf Out Of Singapore Badminton Association's Book <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9633>
by Lee CHong Meng, The Wayang Party Club

**** 乌节董厦地下道或设店铺 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090522_516.shtml>
by 李静仪, 联合早报

连接乌节地铁站和董厦(Tangs Plaza)的地下行人连道将进行大规模扩建,以后可能设有零售店铺,走类似城联广场(Citylink Mall)的路线。

**** Malaysia-Singapore Joint Committee To Discuss Bridge Linking Eastern Johor &amp; Singapore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/431021/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Malaysia and Singapore have formed a joint committee to look into the proposal of building a bridge to link eastern Johor and Singapore.

This was announced at the joint news conference by Malaysian prime minister Najib Razak and Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong at the Istana.

**** FEER Makes Appeal Against High Court Decision <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/431037/1/.html>
by Ong Dai Lin, Today

**** Malaysia Keeping Singapore Abreast Of Mas Selamat's Interrogation <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/431050/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Malaysia is keeping Singapore's authorities abreast of what it has learnt from the capture of the Republic's most wanted terrorist, Mas Selamat Kastari, said Malaysian prime minister Najib Razak on Friday.

**** Overcoming Fear And Misinformation - Give Us Our Dignity! <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/overcoming-fear-and-misinformation-give-us-our-dignity/>
by Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

**** Malaysia, Singapore See New Cooperation <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hURRFSe1tKl9q8OyfMDbU6EkSf6Q>
by AFP

Singapore and Malaysia agreed to step up bilateral cooperation while trying to resolve territorial and other issues dating back to their bitter separation in 1965, their prime ministers said.

**** Magazine Appeals Singapore Defamation Ruling <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j-46_JmoMEFIUPmzOt8impSBOkuQ>
by AFP

Peter Low, a lawyer for the Far Eastern Economic Review (FEER), argued there was nothing in the article, published in 2006, that defamed the Lees.

**** Singapore, Malaysia Seek To Build New Bridges <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUSSP5954120090522>
by Nopporn Wong-Anan, Reuters

Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said options to improve the relationship included better rail links, broadening a congested causeway between the two, or possibly building a new bridge to link eastern Singapore to Malaysian border state Johor.

**** Let The People Judge <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/let-the-people-judg/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

"When they can't beat you, they call you a criminal."

**** Student Witnesses Say David Widjaja Did Not Slip And Fall Off <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/431135/1/.html>
by Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia