[MyAppleMenu] Jun 23, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 23 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** The iPhone 3.0 Feature Compendium <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=d25c84a021e2cac9fc08b4b2d4b34036>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

About halfway through writing the enormous tome of an iPhone 3.0 review, I realized that there just wasn’t enough room. For every huge new feature, like landscape keyboard, cut-and-paste, etc., it seemed like there were a dozen more smaller improvements and enhancements that cried out for equal attention.

**** Find My iPhone Works, And It Is Awesome <http://happywaffle.livejournal.com/5890.html>
by The Intermittent Kevin

Even though iPhone's alert notification plays whether it's on vibrate or not, it still obeys the ringer volume - so you can still, regrettably, keep it from playing. Also it's a lighter daintier sound effect than we'd prefer for locating something by sound. Hell, I'd prefer it if I could take pictures, play my iTunes library, and tase whoever was holding it.

**** Ding, Dong, The iPhone 3GS Space Is Dead <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10370>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

Call me obsessive, call me retentive, but just don't call me on an "iPhone 3G S," since Apple has quietly started changing the new iPhone's name to "iPhone 3GS," removing the space before the trailing S.

This coming from a fellow who spelled Tidbits funny. :-)

**** Mac News Briefs: IFinance 3 Out Of Beta <http://www.macworld.com/article/141297/2009/06/ifinance3.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Macworld

Also Announced: Updates for Xcode, AutoCorrectXT, Adium.

**** Apple Releases MacBook Pro, iMac Firmware Updates <http://www.macworld.com/article/141300/2009/06/firmware_updates.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.7 lets those MacBook Pros use the 3Gbps specification, though Apple also warns that it has not offered drives that support the faster speeds—all previous and current MacBooks use 1.5Gbps drives—so the use of faster drives remains unsupported.

**** A Closer Look At C64's Rejection <http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/22/a-closer-look-at-c64s-rejection/>
by Touch Arcade

**** Most iPhone Owners Haven't Upgraded To iPhone 3.0 Software <http://www.businessinsider.com/most-iphone-owners-havent-upgraded-to-iphone-30-software-2009-6>
by Dan Frommer, Silicon Alley Insider

**** By Giving Credits, Apple Gets Credit <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10270335-17.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Don Reisinger, CNET

Apple has a proven record of trying to do what's right after it makes mistakes; this is no exception.

**** How The iPhone Rekindled Reading <http://feeds.thebigmoney.com/~r/thebigmoney/RSSFeed/~3/lRP2yVfQyok/how-iphone-rekindled-reading>
by Marion Maneker, The Big Money

**** AIM And Beejive Instant Messaging iPhone Apps Updated With Push Notifications <http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/22/aim-and-beejive-instant-messaging-iphone-apps-updated-with-push-notifications/>
by MacRumors

Two major instant messaging clients (AIM and Beejive) for the iPhone and iPod Touch were updated tonight with support for Push notifications. Instant messaging was always cited as one of the major reasons the iPhone and iPod Touch needed some form of background processing.

**** Review: iPhone 3GS Lives Up To Its Speedy Claims <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/l7DDss7nJyQ/iphone-3g-s-review.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Clint Ecker, Ars Technica

While the camera could still use some work, its other new features are useful and the phone's speed definitely lives up to its name.

**** McSushi <http://www.slate.com/id/2221017/?from=rss>
by Daniel Gross, Slate

It struck me that while Esperanto may be dead, the language of food may have replaced it as one that transcends borders and can be universally understood.

**** So Many Vampires, So Little Time <http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2009/06/23/vampire_fiction/index.html>
by Laura Miller, Salon

A guide to a literary genre in which Buffy's spirit lives on, with young heroines battling demons -- and adulthood.

**** The Baby And I, And Doodle Pads <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=35617a2260e44fb3e61734e84f018df6>
by Lisa Unger, New York Times

I was once a streamlined business traveler. I was efficient, rarely checking a bag. I never had a hair out of place or a wrinkle in my blouse. I would breeze through security. Now, I look like a refugee fleeing a burning village, with all of my belongings on my back.

The reason: I travel with my 3-year-old daughter, Ocean. And my husband comes along for the ride, too.

**** Najib Says Malaysia Did Not "overwelcome" MM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/437857/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

The Malaysian premier was reported by the country's official news agency Bernama on Monday as saying that Mr Lee was not accorded more than what he deserved.

**** Standing Up For The People On Bended Knees <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=3293>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

While I acknowledge the WP’s efforts in providing constructive criticism of government policies, their implicit support of the system only serves to enable the PAP to entrench the system further.

**** Australian TV Journalist Freed From Singapore Jail <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/437938/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** Twittering MPs In Parliament? <http://searchingforenlightenment.blogspot.com/2009/06/twittering-mps-in-parliament.html>
by Random Thoughts Of A Free Thinker

**** Leave Of Absence For School Staff, Students Returning From H1N1 Affected Nations <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/437987/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** 344 Sign Up For HDB Lease Buyback Scheme <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/437997/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** Bilateral Talks In KL <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_394310.html>
by Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

Foreign affairs minister George Yeo met his Malaysian counterpart Anifah Aman in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday for talks on bilateral issues, including on the Points of Agreement (POA), a document signed almost two decades ago.